Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2010, 16:15   #481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
I paid 12k for it. I've recently read somewhere that its now available for 11.4k.

Interface in general is smooth. However opening up the Messages and Contact menus do take a few mili seconds more than normal.
Touch screen is very good.
Try clearing the cache memory of the installed apps frequently (settings>applications) to speed up the phone, and is the screen visiblity 0 in sunlight if the brightness is set to 100%?
Download "Profiles" by egg n' store from the market, you can switch profiles, change brightness very quickly.
Old 25th October 2010, 18:59   #482
Team-BHP Support

Here's a 2.2 (Froyo) ROM for the Galaxy S thats supposed to be pretty fast.

[ROM] [Froyo] Darky's Raw Steel Edition v2.2 | Integrated Voodoo pre-6 + Recovery 2e! - xda-developers

Given that the official 2.2 has been pulled offline and now will come mid(?) Nov, i'm gonna try this one out soon.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th October 2010 at 19:05.
Old 26th October 2010, 00:25   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Having decided to buy the HTC desire, I checked in a shop and got a quote of 27300.
The cheapest on ebay right now is at 26.5k.

Now, the big confusion - The box doe not say anything about SLCD or AMOLED. The manufacturing month is mentioned as Oct 2010 on the box which I checked in the shop. (IIRC, There was a shortage of AMOLED.)
How do I find out if the screen is AMOLED or SLCD?

The ebay seller has confirmed that his stock is with AMOLED Screen.
Bought the HTC Desire for 26,800 from Gadgets Store @ Banjara Hills Road No. 1.
The box mentions the color as 'Brown' and it's awesome!
It came loaded with Android 2.2!

I think I need more time to get used to the phone after upgrading from a Nokia N72 bought 5 years back!

Last edited by pulsar56 : 26th October 2010 at 00:30.
Old 26th October 2010, 06:58   #484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Here's a 2.2 (Froyo) ROM for the Galaxy S thats supposed to be pretty fast.

[ROM] [Froyo] Darky's Raw Steel Edition v2.2 | Integrated Voodoo pre-6 + Recovery 2e! - xda-developers

Given that the official 2.2 has been pulled offline and now will come mid(?) Nov, i'm gonna try this one out soon.

cya
R
i hate that it keeps getting delayed..but im looking forward to your feedback after you try it out..

Quote:

I think I need more time to get used to the phone after upgrading from a Nokia N72 bought 5 years back!

that a pretty good price you paid for it.have fun
Old 26th October 2010, 07:34   #485
BHPian

Quote:

Congrats on your purchase and the fact that is has FroYo! My moto milestone is still on 2.1 and I'm wondering when 2.2'll release!

PS: I'm getting the 3GS 32GB tomorrow too, I can't wait. But that also means I'd have to sell either the iphone or my droid.
Old 26th October 2010, 08:03   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

I tried, followed all instructions, but in vain! Will the Sony guys do it for me since i have bought the phone from UAE?

if given the option, i should flash the software to Indian image, right?
I am sorry to say but No the sony guys wont do it for you. There is a new software available in the net which roots your phone with the touch of a button. Its called universal androot. It is very easy to download and install and saves you the risk of things going wrong.
Let me know if you need any other help with your X10 !
Old 26th October 2010, 09:21   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazer View Post
I am sorry to say but No the sony guys wont do it for you. There is a new software available in the net which roots your phone with the touch of a button. Its called universal androot. It is very easy to download and install and saves you the risk of things going wrong.
Let me know if you need any other help with your X10 !
yes buddy, i would like you to help me with that! i am totally frustrated with my phone since i cant use my gmail account, calender & even Android market!
Old 26th October 2010, 10:01   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Samsung have launched some new handsets in the UK for £100. They are a better bet than the now dated Optimus.

Also if you know anyone travelling to the UK ask them to pick up a ZTE Blade for you. Nice decent spec phone at a very good price.
I am going to UK this month end.
I'll look into it as many of my friends need a good Android 2.2 mobile as their second handset within 10K range.
Thanx for the suggestion.
But i am a Big fan of Win mobiles and have been using HTC touch for some years and planning to get HTC Desire HD(Froyo) or HTC HD7(Win 7) in near future.
Old 26th October 2010, 10:29   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Try clearing the cache memory of the installed apps frequently (settings>applications) to speed up the phone, and is the screen visiblity 0 in sunlight if the brightness is set to 100%?
Download "Profiles" by egg n' store from the market, you can switch profiles, change brightness very quickly.
Thanks for the tips akshay. I shall try to clear the cache once a day. Uptil now, I was restarting the phone every alternate day.

The visibility is not 0, but it is not that great. And this is under direct sunlight. Otherwise, things are very much visible.

Regards,
Old 26th October 2010, 11:30   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
I am going to UK this month end.
If you are not looking for a long term contract ( subsidy from operator) then mobile phone works cheaper in India then an open phone in UK or Europe.

Apple products are exception as they are overpriced here.
Old 26th October 2010, 15:46   #491
BHPian

Currently testing an application called Tasker. Using it you can programe the phone to execute various tasks based on various triggers. Works very well on my samsung galaxy 3. A little complicated to begin with, but once one gets the hang of it, it is quite interesting. IMHO it is an application every android phone must have.
Old 27th October 2010, 13:39   #492
Senior - BHPian

Three Questions
  1. I had installed GPSTracker Lite on my Samsung Galaxy Spica. It was working fine. Recently I tried to update it and the update was stalled for some reason. Now when I open the downloaded applications section in Android Market, it shows that this application is being installed. But nothing happens. I uninstalled the existing application, but the status still remains the same. Is there anyway I can get and install the application?
  2. Is there a way to stop the GPRS connectivity from the phone? I want to try a GPS application without the GPRS connection
  3. Does anyone know if we can get map tiles for BrutMaps for download from any site? I am looking for India maps. I am currently trying to download one small section from zoom levels 12 to 16 and the download has been going on for two days now with approximately 130000 tiles downloaded so far (73 MB). And there should be around 2000000 tiles to be downloaded in total.
-Biju
Old 27th October 2010, 14:38   #493
BHPian

One Answered
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
2. Is there a way to stop the GPRS connectivity from the phone? I want to try a GPS application without the GPRS connection-Biju

Two ways to do so. change the APN name to something incorrect. This will disable the gprs. If you want to do it repeatedly, install an app named APNdroid.

I am using RMaps with mobile atlas creator. Pretty good experience so far.
Regards,

Last edited by amohit : 27th October 2010 at 14:39.
Old 27th October 2010, 16:17   #494
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Mohit. I have installed APNDroid. Though it seems to have some issue and I have to Force Close it, it still works. I will try the BrutMaps navigation with the cached maps today.
Old 27th October 2010, 18:53   #495
Senior - BHPian

One more Android option now available - Motorola Quench XT3 XT502. Better screen resolution than Samsung Galaxy 3, trackball, cam with flash but no AF. Upgradable to Android 2.1 only. :(

Priced around 12k.

Most Viewed