Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2010, 01:59   #541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
now HTC sync troubling me, does not recognize my phone (says phone not connected ?)
Enable USB debugging by going under Setting > Developer
Old 6th November 2010, 02:02   #542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
a friend of mine has the Sony Ericsson X10 running 1.6 and was wondering how he can update it to 2.1 is there a way he can do it himself or does he have to go to the service centre..
Hey Revtech, I updated my X10 to 2.1 last sunday and boy, am I happy or what! It is an incredible update that we all X10 owners had been waiting for! Works like a charm without any flaw.

I flashed my X10 with World Generic Firmware 2.1. Ask your friend to go through this thread on XDA forums to download the firmware and for more info.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=825675
Old 6th November 2010, 04:36   #543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Hey Revtech, I updated my X10 to 2.1 last sunday and boy, am I happy or what! It is an incredible update that we all X10 owners had been waiting for! Works like a charm without any flaw.

I flashed my X10 with World Generic Firmware 2.1. Ask your friend to go through this thread on XDA forums to download the firmware and for more info.

x10 Flash 2.1 Final + Global World Firmware 2.1 - xda-developers
Thanks a lot Ace..will tell him that..just for the info what does 2.1 get that was not there with 1.6.
Old 6th November 2010, 06:05   #544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
Thanks a lot Ace..will tell him that..just for the info what does 2.1 get that was not there with 1.6.
2.1 does justice to that beautiful hardware of X10 it deserved in the 1st place when it was launched earlier this year.

But to list a few things...

1. The phone is so snappier, I smile everytime I use my X10 now.

2. HD Video Recording, the 8MP camera was already capable of HD but was held back due to 1.6.

3. Social phonebook is very nice but it has a bug, the contact pics look pixelated. I am sure it will be corrected soon!

4. Compatibility with more apps than 1.6 such as Amazon Kindle and Winamp!

5. Live wallpapers (though personally I find them cheesy and useless coz they suck battery quite badly)

For me the best thing is, the phone feels so smooth, it is a pleasure to use! And I can play Angry Birds!

Few issues that other users have reported, though I don't have any of them.

1. Battery life is bad according to few but mine easily returns me 2 days with > moderate use! The 1st charging cycle right after the update was bad though coz the phone was syncing everything!

2. People (Particularly from Indian sub-continent) report that phone restarts everytime they use any map application! Not an issue with my phone though!

3. Few have issues with GPS, but not in my case (except for popup warning everytime you start using it. I never mind it but personally think some people are just too picky for these kind of small things! )
Old 7th November 2010, 18:53   #545
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I'm just upgrading to 2.1 in my xperia x10 mini pro as I type this! SE rocks. Will put my reports once the upgrade is done.
Hope I don't have issues with maps/ gps though I rarely use them on the phone.
Old 7th November 2010, 19:03   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I'm just upgrading to 2.1 in my xperia x10 mini pro as I type this! SE rocks. Will put my reports once the upgrade is done.

Good luck on your upgrade. I just wish it had multi-touch, it would have been my next phone. Is there any update of x10 coming soon? Will it support 2.2 update?

I guess it will be Galaxy S or Iphone 4 now.

Last edited by chevelle : 7th November 2010 at 19:04.
Old 8th November 2010, 11:20   #547
Senior - BHPian

I too bought a Xperia X10 black last week itself over iphone, galaxy S and N8, it really is the most good looking and better performing mobile (no offenses, its my personal opinion)
but i had not got the update message for 2.1, is it planned this week in india?
Old 8th November 2010, 14:43   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
Enable USB debugging by going under Setting > Developer
thanks for that tip.. It worked!! but not before I uninstalled the original set-up file manually downloaded a new one and re-installed it.
cheers!!!

got one s/w slideIT to work on it. It works like swype and is a cool app. though it does not take very long words, it still is a great thing. This was the only thing that could have tilted my buying decision towards samsung galaxy 3 but some patience always pays off & now i too have a swype like feature on my wildfire
Old 8th November 2010, 15:11   #549
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The update was smooth and easy. SE for a change came with wonderful step by step methodology that was easy to follow. Few clicks and bingo, data was backed up and phone upgraded to 2.1
I messed up the back up part. I forgot to enable backing up the android market applications (left that unticked I guess). Normally, it doesn't back up the application but it is supposed to make a note in your android account as to what is installed. So when you get on to market after the upgrade, it is supposed to point out that all these are available so that they can be re-installed.
I had to literally scratch my head to get the names of all market applications. Except my old call recorder, managed to get everything back!
Restoring other data was a breeze! One click and bang, got back all settings (including wallpaper and ringtones set for individual contacts, messages, mails etc), contacts, call / message logs everything as it was!
Also the upgraded phone looks and functions smoothly. Got a cracker of a game called angry birds and am loving it.
The flip side, battery life has taken a mega hit. I used to have standby time of over 2 days with 1.6. Now I see that 6 hours since last charge and my phone is on the verge of shutting off with less than 5% battery juice. Made one call and kept gprs on for 2 hours just to let my wife check whether she could track me after an upgrade over latitude.
Just yesterday, I had gprs on for tracking all the way from Diveagar to Pune through khopoli late in the evening after using the phone for 10 hours in the day since last charge. I still had juice to take me till morning without charge.
I notice that the display is using up 60% of the battery juice. If this goes like this, then I'll have to start carrying a spare battery and a wall charger. Strange. But I'm glad that I have 2.1 now and trust me, it rocks.
SE xperia x10 mini pro has made me very very happy. With this 2.1 I got Adobe acrobat reader as well from market. So no more trial versions (that I used with 1.6). Way to go SE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
I too bought a Xperia X10 black last week itself over iphone, galaxy S and N8, it really is the most good looking and better performing mobile (no offenses, its my personal opinion)
but i had not got the update message for 2.1, is it planned this week in india?
I'm not sure about X10. Mine's an X10 mini pro. They've rolled out 2.1 for both mini and mini pro. You might not get an update message as they wouldn't have tied up with indian network providers. Try using the update option in your phone and have it connected to net through wifi. If there's update available, it will prompt you to connect to a laptop and give you steps to follow for the upgrade. That was the simplest thing I've done in recent past!
Old 8th November 2010, 16:28   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Android Phones from AT&T & T-Mobile are GSM which includes the Galaxy S & Google's G2 & a few others. All of them are avilable with or without contracts but they are all locked.

You wont get any phone without contract in $200, they are all $500+ but I believe thats still cheaper than the Indian price.

Though you can also look at criagslist for a used one.
Thanks Techno..
I would check criagslist there. By the way, does it mean, it is easy to unlock Androids in India, either DIY or through some shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
In India you get samsung Galaxy 3, with bill and warranty, with no locks to hold you on a single network for 275usd
I think that's the best to learn and play on your first device with Android.
Thanks Ghpk. If I could not find a good device through craigslist, I would comeback and look into the market then!!
Old 8th November 2010, 17:38   #551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Android Phones from AT&T & T-Mobile are GSM which includes the Galaxy S & Google's G2 & a few others. All of them are avilable with or without contracts but they are all locked.

You wont get any phone without contract in $200, they are all $500+ but I believe thats still cheaper than the Indian price.

Though you can also look at criagslist for a used one.
I came across brand new HTC HD2 for $350. It comes on T-Mobile but was unlocked. I so wanted to lay my hands on it, when i called the person, he said its sold. I think it sold in record less than 15 minutes.

Recently, AT&T did a price mistake in-store for Galaxy S, Captivate here. Its no-contract, unlocked Captivate is available for $500 plus tax and they by mistake priced it at $300 plus tax. My friend who happened to that AT&T store to get a new sim on that day bought it. Lucky Dog!! I went in the evening as soon as i came to know about it but was too late, price was back to original.
Old 9th November 2010, 03:53   #552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The flip side, battery life has taken a mega hit. I used to have standby time of over 2 days with 1.6. Now I see that 6 hours since last charge and my phone is on the verge of shutting off with less than 5% battery juice. Made one call and kept gprs on for 2 hours just to let my wife check whether she could track me after an upgrade over latitude.
Just yesterday, I had gprs on for tracking all the way from Diveagar to Pune through khopoli late in the evening after using the phone for 10 hours in the day since last charge. I still had juice to take me till morning without charge.
I notice that the display is using up 60% of the battery juice. If this goes like this, then I'll have to start carrying a spare battery and a wall charger. Strange.
Hey MX6, if you go through my post above, I have stated the same thing with my X10. The very 1st charge cycle was awfully long after 2.1 update, it took forever and phone was 97% charged even after power connecting overnight. On top of that, the battery was drained out like crazy and phone ran out of battery in 5 hours!

But it is normal and happens because the phone does all kind of background activities during its 1st run of new firmware (According to XDA experts). To me, it happened only once and now, I get 2 days very easily on my phone, just like before! Do share whats your experience in this regard?
Old 9th November 2010, 08:23   #553
Senior - BHPian

I am trying to update my X10i through SE Update Service but everytime i try, my desktop hangs! God knows whats the reason. I am still stuck with 1.6!
Old 9th November 2010, 12:35   #554
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Hey MX6, if you go through my post above, I have stated the same thing with my X10. The very 1st charge cycle was awfully long after 2.1 update, it took forever and phone was 97% charged even after power connecting overnight. On top of that, the battery was drained out like crazy and phone ran out of battery in 5 hours!

But it is normal and happens because the phone does all kind of background activities during its 1st run of new firmware (According to XDA experts). To me, it happened only once and now, I get 2 days very easily on my phone, just like before! Do share whats your experience in this regard?
I noticed that too. And guess what? I also noticed that with the firmware update, the settings had gone for a toss. The auto sync option was on. So that bugger was actually, syncing gmail, twitter, fb continuously that the battery just drained out. Even when I'm on on gprs or wifi, that service was trying to sync which created the whole issue.

I turned that off. Now the sync happens only when I go online.
Last night after fully charging my phone, I let wifi run for 3 hours. Played games (angry bird) for 2 hours. Listened to music on winamp for 3 hours.
When I was up in the morning I checked the phone battery status. After 10.5 hours since last charge, the battery showed 18% juice remaining!
Sony Ericsson rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I am trying to update my X10i through SE Update Service but everytime i try, my desktop hangs! God knows whats the reason. I am still stuck with 1.6!
Oh my. Why should your desktop hang? That's got nothing to do with the upgrade process. If you are coming to the lavasa meet this weekend or anytime to pune, come home. We can try the upgrade on my laptop.
Old 9th November 2010, 13:38   #555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure about X10. Mine's an X10 mini pro. They've rolled out 2.1 for both mini and mini pro.
2.1 upgrade available for X10, X10 mini & mini pro available here Sony Ericsson - Home

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks