Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2010, 15:40   #511
Senior - BHPian

Anybody tried Motorola Flipout?

Is it worth a buy? Please advice. I really like the look of it and way it flips out
Old 29th October 2010, 17:06   #512
BHPian

I really liked the HTC Wildfire. My brother will be buying that phone from UAE now does buying from UAE create in problems in the working of the phone, for eg. will there be a problem in the functioning of the Android market or any apps?
Old 29th October 2010, 17:18   #513
BHPian

Is Galaxy s++ == Nexus 2?

There is rumor that on Nov8 nexus 2, running gingerbread, will be launched.
Old 29th October 2010, 20:39   #514
KRN
BHPian

Wildfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit_chd View Post
Have anyone tried HTC WILDFIRE ?? It has android 2.1 with all the features that a smart phone needs. What is your say guys ?
I bought the wildfire a couple of weeks back and I am simply in love with it. I was considering the Galaxy 3 as well, but was ready to stretch my budget a bit for the wildfire.

I chose the wildfire for the following reasons:

1. HTC Sense - IMO "Sense UI" is a huge plus with HTC Android phones
2. Loved the build/looks - Doesn't look like a cheap phone
3. Froyo (Android 2.2) when it is made available - Keeping my fingers crossed and waiting for it
4. I previously owned a HTC windows mobile phone and so in a way, I was inclined to go with HTC again

After using the phone for 2-3 weeks, here are my observations:

Pros:
1. Looks (subjective): The phone size is perfect and it is quite thin (thinner than the iPhone 3gs).
2. Comes pre-loaded with HTC widgets which IMO, are better than stock android widgets
3. Friends Stream (another HTC addition) - Integrates updates from Facebook, Twitter etc. into one app seamlessly
4. Nice cool features (to show off) - When ringing, lift the phone to lower the volume and flip it over to make it go silent
5. Email (outlook), calendar integration are good. Global address book lookup for exchange works seamlessly though it is not really part of Android 2.1

Cons:
1. Phone stutters a bit at times when switching between apps. However, this is expected given the processor speed and the price of the phone.
2. Screen resolution could have been better. This was not a deal breaker for me as I seldom use the phone to watch movies etc., but could be a key requirement for others
3. Not all apps in the android market work on this screen resolution. This is disappointing at times, but given the huge number of apps in the market, you will always find an app that meets your needs and runs on the Wildfire

Battery Life - My observations:

In my view, the battery life is nothing to boast of, but not as big an issue as made to be. Yes, smart phones typically have lower battery life and this is something that you have to live with. I get 1.5 days if GPRS (data) is on 70% of the time. If I switch off the GPRS (data) and switch it on only on a need basis, I get a full 2 days.

My recommendation:
If you are big time into movies, pictures and worry a lot about screen resolution or lightning fast responses (desire, galaxy s types), this is not the phone for you. However, if you are looking at an entry level android handset that can do "almost" everything that the bigger desire can do and on a short budget, go for the Wildfire. The Galaxy 3 would definitely be a very good alternate choice for a slightly lower price, but to me, the HTC experience (sense), build and looks tilted the decision in favor of the wildfire. From other websites, I gather that HTC wildfire might get the froyo update and this was also an important criterion for me to select this phone.

To me, the wildfire is 80% of the HTC Desire but lags behind in terms of screen resolution and processor, but its excellent value for money.

Will be happy to answer any questions on wildfire.
Old 31st October 2010, 15:40   #515
BHPian

Any updates on the Galaxy S getting Froyo?
Old 31st October 2010, 16:25   #516
Senior - BHPian

i read some where that the release date of the Galaxy S Froyo update for USA and UK carriers is around 11th November..and the worldwide release should follow shortly..so hopefully by the end of november we should have it available

Rev
Old 31st October 2010, 18:48   #517
BHPian

Galaxy S users, need your help immediately.

Not able to download anything from the android market, it says "download unsuccessful".

I immediately took my phone to the mobile shop where i bought it. The samsung engineer there mulled over it and said they must be upgrading the servers and getting ready for the 2.2 update hence the market is not accessible at the moment.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem while downloading from the android market?
Old 31st October 2010, 19:16   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post

Not able to download anything from the android market, it says "download unsuccessful".

I immediately took my phone to the mobile shop where i bought it. The samsung engineer there mulled over it and said they must be upgrading the servers and getting ready for the 2.2 update hence the market is not accessible at the moment.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem while downloading from the android market?
no..no problem at all.infact i jus downloaded and updated a couple of apps.

I guessing you had done this already but just checking..have you tried restarting the phone ? are you using Wifi or edge ? have you tried disabling it and starting it again.

this error is more like a network error rather than a "server error"

rev
Old 31st October 2010, 19:27   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post

hey, if the problem is not solved yet try uninstalling the updates in android market app.
Old 31st October 2010, 19:39   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
no..no problem at all.infact i jus downloaded and updated a couple of apps.

I guessing you had done this already but just checking..have you tried restarting the phone ? are you using Wifi or edge ? have you tried disabling it and starting it again.

this error is more like a network error rather than a "server error"

rev
tried all of that. problem still persists. tried in both wifi/edge. Same thing.

It click on the app i want to download from the android market it computes and immediately says download unsuccessful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
hey, if the problem is not solved yet try uninstalling the updates in android market app.
Will try this

Last edited by redrage : 31st October 2010 at 19:43.
Old 1st November 2010, 12:05   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRN View Post

Will be happy to answer any questions on wildfire.
Hi,
Thanks for the wonderful review. I was reading it yesterday just before stepping out of the house to buy myself a HTC wildfire.
Now that I have it and have been busy with the phone since last night hence a query. I am sure many will follow but for now if you could let me know this

* This is my first android/smart-phone/touch phone. I have been trying to set widgets on the home and the subsequent screen and by mistake have set some not so good widgets how do I delete them and place new in their place. It does not show any options to delete or change the widget on the screen.

cheers!!!
Old 1st November 2010, 12:16   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
I really liked the HTC Wildfire. My brother will be buying that phone from UAE now does buying from UAE create in problems in the working of the phone, for eg. will there be a problem in the functioning of the Android market or any apps?
I dont think there should be a problem unless its tied to a particular service provider. What is the price difference btw India and UAE ?
Old 1st November 2010, 14:30   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
I dont think there should be a problem unless its tied to a particular service provider. What is the price difference btw India and UAE ?
The difference was not much.. i guess something in the range of 1k to 1.5k but one would loose out on the warranty so I bought it in mumbai itself for Rs. 14.6k
Old 1st November 2010, 14:31   #524
Senior - BHPian

For SE Xperia owners-

Android
2.1 update alert! Folks, we have started rolling out the Android 2.1
update globally. For India, we will start with the Xperia™ X10 mini pro
update this week followed by X10 and X10 mini the coming week. Please
look for the update on your phones or check for the update at www.sonyericsson.com/update
Old 1st November 2010, 20:29   #525
KRN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
Hi,

* This is my first android/smart-phone/touch phone. I have been trying to set widgets on the home and the subsequent screen and by mistake have set some not so good widgets how do I delete them and place new in their place. It does not show any options to delete or change the widget on the screen.

cheers!!!
In case you haven't figured it out yet:

Just press and hold the widget/icon that you want to delete. After half a second of holding, the phone will give haptic feedback (vibrate a bit) and you will now see a "remove" button at the bottom of the screen. Now, drag the widget/icon to the remove button and release your finger. It will be gone!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks