Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2010, 23:31   #526
BHPian

Hello people.....
Need some help on Samsung galaxy3. Got one recently, pretty happy with it. Lately found an issue with the calls being dropped quite often. Now i don't know if its the fault with the phone or with the network. Can someone tell me how to determine this?
Old 2nd November 2010, 00:52   #527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
Hello people.....
Need some help on Samsung galaxy3. Got one recently, pretty happy with it. Lately found an issue with the calls being dropped quite often. Now i don't know if its the fault with the phone or with the network. Can someone tell me how to determine this?
Should be network only, i dont have such problem, using it from 1 month.
Old 2nd November 2010, 08:06   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
Hello people.....
I have no such problem on my galaxy 3 either. One way to determine if the problem is related to network or phone is to check if the problem reoccurs with another sim from a different service provider.
Old 2nd November 2010, 17:41   #529
BHPian

I think samsung Galaxy 3 (5801) is USB compatible . from what i saw every where, if i am not mistaken.

however just saw samsung website which says USB : NO
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-5801.jpg

how can such a big company make this blunder with its popular model ?
Old 3rd November 2010, 09:17   #530
BHPian

@ghpk - Samsung is a very careless company, they do not upgrade there phones to the latest Android as fast as HTC, have a look at the Galaxy S, that phone still does not have the official Android 2.2.
Another example is the Samsung Spica, a very capable phone but Samsung havent written drivers for a lot of things like the 3d driver from Samsung is pathetic, the phone has multitouch capability but no drivers (even though I now have multitouch on it) and the proximity sensor also does not have drivers coded.

All in all Samsung makes good phones but they are not able to support them with updates, HTC is way better than Samsung in this case.
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:51   #531
BHPian

I think Motorola Quench XT5 will be the best entry level Android 2.1 phone compare to Samsung Galaxy 3 and HTC Wildfire.
Old 3rd November 2010, 22:48   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchy_cool View Post
Another example is the Samsung Spica, a very capable phone but Samsung havent written drivers for a lot of things like the 3d driver from Samsung is pathetic, the phone has multitouch capability but no drivers (even though I now have multitouch on it) and the proximity sensor also does not have drivers coded.
I agree with what you said, My spica with multitouch and wifi tether is as good as a 20k + android phone.
And are you sure about the proximity sensor on the spica?
Old 4th November 2010, 09:17   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
I agree with what you said, My spica with multitouch and wifi tether is as good as a 20k + android phone.
And are you sure about the proximity sensor on the spica?
Well mine now has CyanogenMod Android 2.2 and the hardware shows it has a proximity sensor which was never coded for, the developers are as of now working on enabling the FM Radio which would make it a 22k phone and once the 3d drivers from one of the developers over at samdroid.net are complete it will be one hell of a phone.

The proximity sensor is not a priority among the developers as of now as they are working to get to Beta for Android 2.2 based on CyanogenMod's latest sources (6.1 Release Candidate 1).
Old 4th November 2010, 09:56   #534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRN View Post
In case you haven't figured it out yet:

Just press and hold the widget/icon that you want to delete. After half a second of holding, the phone will give haptic feedback (vibrate a bit) and you will now see a "remove" button at the bottom of the screen. Now, drag the widget/icon to the remove button and release your finger. It will be gone!
Thanks for that tip.... and no i hadn't figured that out, guess one needs to be smarter than that to actually use a smartphone

now HTC sync troubling me, does not recognize my phone (says phone not connected ?)
Old 4th November 2010, 11:42   #535
BHPian

Sometime in Dec, I might be in U.S for few weeks. Would a Android phone from U.S make sense? ( I guess most of the Androids in U.S is in CDMA)... is there a model I can get @ 200$.
Pardon my ignorance, is Android also locked to provider like iphone? and if so, how easy or hard to unlock in Chennai, do it yourself?
Old 4th November 2010, 12:45   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchy_cool View Post
Well mine now has CyanogenMod Android 2.2 and the hardware shows it has a proximity sensor which was never coded for, the developers are as of now working on enabling the FM Radio which would make it a 22k phone and once the 3d drivers from one of the developers over at samdroid.net are complete it will be one hell of a phone.

The proximity sensor is not a priority among the developers as of now as they are working to get to Beta for Android 2.2 based on CyanogenMod's latest sources (6.1 Release Candidate 1).
How does the 2.2 perform compared to the 2.1 kitchen mod? what are the few features of the phone that don't work with the 2.2?
Old 4th November 2010, 17:17   #537
BHPian

@akshay_b - please read this post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2127012

As of now 2.2 is not as optimized as the 2.1 kitchen, but the performance is the same as per my personal experience.
Old 4th November 2010, 19:34   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumaravelS View Post
Sometime in Dec, I might be in U.S for few weeks. Would a Android phone from U.S make sense? ( I guess most of the Androids in U.S is in CDMA)... is there a model I can get @ 200$.
Pardon my ignorance, is Android also locked to provider like iphone? and if so, how easy or hard to unlock in Chennai, do it yourself?
Android Phones from AT&T & T-Mobile are GSM which includes the Galaxy S & Google's G2 & a few others. All of them are avilable with or without contracts but they are all locked.

You wont get any phone without contract in $200, they are all $500+ but I believe thats still cheaper than the Indian price.

Though you can also look at criagslist for a used one.
Old 5th November 2010, 02:26   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Android Phones from AT&T & T-Mobile are GSM which includes the Galaxy S & Google's G2 & a few others. All of them are avilable with or without contracts but they are all locked.

You wont get any phone without contract in $200, they are all $500+ but I believe thats still cheaper than the Indian price.

Though you can also look at criagslist for a used one.
In India you get samsung Galaxy 3, with bill and warranty, with no locks to hold you on a single network for 275usd
I think that's the best to learn and play on your first device with Android.
Old 6th November 2010, 01:37   #540
Senior - BHPian

a friend of mine has the Sony Ericsson X10 running 1.6 and was wondering how he can update it to 2.1 is there a way he can do it himself or does he have to go to the service centre..

That brings me to the question, for the Galaxy S once the update is released how do we update it ? will it be OTA like it is for the nexus one ?

rev

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks