Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2010, 19:18   #406
Senior - BHPian

One more point till Eclair 2.1 Android did not allow officially applications to run from SD card , The reason IMHO was rather non technical that Google was thinking more of protecting Apps revenue . There was no Application DRM scheme. So by allowing this potentially it is fully possible to share payed application.

By the time of Froyo they realized that it is a useless exercise and if Application writers really want to prevent unauthorized copy they need to rely on some other scheme.

This may look tangential to the app slowdown issue but if you see carefully the Voodoo fix and the explanation about the FS in previous post you can connect the dotted line :-)

So in nutshell jornalling on internal raw file-system is required for making it robust for OS code + data itself. Placing apps on same file-system was design restriction of 2.1 . Conflicting requirements but Manufacturers could not have provided any fix like Voodoo because there is something called compliance to be met.
Old 24th September 2010, 11:11   #407
Senior - BHPian

Guys, am planning to go in gor a mid range android phone. Between the Samsung galaxy 3 and the HTC wildfire, which is better. I mainly need it for browsing, mail, and i need to fiddle around with loads of apps. i heard that apps are less for the HTC due to the screen resolution. is this true?
Old 24th September 2010, 15:33   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Guys, am planning to go in gor a mid range android phone. Between the Samsung galaxy 3 and the HTC wildfire, which is better. I mainly need it for browsing, mail, and i need to fiddle around with loads of apps. i heard that apps are less for the HTC due to the screen resolution. is this true?
I have been using Galaxy 3 for a week now, it is pretty good! You buy this phone in stead of Wildfire since later has got less CPU. Only cons with Wildfire is 5MP camera. Galaxy 3 is fast, elegant and beautiful, you can go for it.
Old 24th September 2010, 15:49   #409
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Well it is not the case let me assure you
Some Q&A from my side hope this clarifies
Thanks! Nice of you to type out such an extensive Q&A.

I don't have very detailed knowledge in these areas, like you seem to - but i still have a few doubts / questions :

Quote:
....Q2 : If Voodoo is able to mount EXT2 on it's patch on SD card why not Samsung ?
From what i know, RyanZA's lagfix used a EXT2 partition, not voodoo.

Quote:
....In case someone enable jornaling ( EXT3) to prevent corruption and increase robustness I am not sure how much improvement thy will observe over RFS.
Voodoo uses EXT4 -- which means it does have journaling (right?). And there is a very definitely improvement observed.

Perhaps this is because of the difference in the way the data is being written + frequency of journaling writes between Samsungs RFS and voodoo's EXT4?

Quote:
....You need the algorithms so that life of flash memory is prolonged for instance.
Is this an area that the EXT4 loses out on vs. RFS?

Quote:
....It has removed certain features and some amount of flash from your system
What features has it removed? From what i see - none.
Also i haven't specifically checked, but there was no mention of reducing flash storage. The voodoo fix changes the entire file system (AFAIK) as opposed to RyanZA's which creates an EXT2 partition on top, and writes to RFS less frequently, minimizing RFS journaling.

Quote:
....Q7: If RFS is not really an issue what is the issue ?
Ans : Sorry I can not spell out here on this open forum
Do you mean you know what the real issue is but do not want to publicly disclose it? or is it too long a discussion to be typed out?

cya
R
Old 24th September 2010, 16:12   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
t i still have a few doubts / questions :
Sure forum is for discussion
Quote:
Voodoo uses EXT4 -- which means it does have journaling (right?). And there is a very definitely improvement observed.

Perhaps this is because of the difference in the way the data is being written + frequency of journaling writes between Samsungs RFS and voodoo's EXT4?
Voodoo and several other similar uses EXT2/EXt3/EXT4 on external SD card.
Linux VFS maps to the FS on external card. These file systems are meant for block devices.

SD Card is a block device so it is possible to have either a journaling file system like EXT3/EXT4 or non journaling one like EXT2 on external card.

Internal memory of a mobile phone is not a block device like a hard disk on PC or a SD card, It is a raw flash memory so a flash file system meant for MTD like UBIFS or YFFS2 or Samsung RFS is required.

RFS is unique in the sense that it can be used on both block and MTD devices.

To reiterate it is physically not possible for XDA, VODOO or anyother to provide a EXT4/EXT3/EXT2 on internal flash memory.

They have access to full kernel and if they really think RFS is the problem then they could have replaced it with UBIFS or YFFS2 which was ideal solution.

Quote:
What features has it removed? From what i see - none.
Also i haven't specifically checked, but there was no mention of reducing flash storage. The voodoo fix changes the entire file system (AFAIK) as opposed to RyanZA's which creates an EXT2 partition on top, and writes to RFS less frequently, minimizing RFS journaling.
The feature it has removed is internal storage , Now all your applications sit on external SD card.

Android Eclair 2.1 imposed this restriction that application must run from internal memory , You could not have possibly achieved Google compliance if the same externally mounted SD card was used to load applications so manufacturer did not provide it, It does not mean that mount of a EXT4 on SD was somthing which was too difficult to achive.

You need to ask how come only installed apps being moved to another file-system on SD card can fix any slowdown.
More then 90% of the code is still sitting on internal FS and this fix does not touch it and it continues to use the existing RFS.

Quote:
Do you mean you know what the real issue is but do not want to publicly disclose it? or is it too long a discussion to be typed out?

cya
R
Both , I do work to make a living and intend to keep it that way rather then being a freelancer out of force.

To let you know a fact OneNAND is a type of NAND Flash used in this device. Samsung is biggest flash memory vendor and several other products from other companies use OneNAND and RFS but none of the other non-Android products report this problem of system being slow.

If file system jornaling is really an issue and this issue is only on Samsung Galaxy S then the ideal fix should be to replace RFS with another Flash File system in open source such as UBIFS why they did not hit something which is so obvious.

I would have loved to do this kind of benchmarking and publish some numbers.

Further why exactly 3ed party installed apps only are an issue ? Why Voodoo and XDA guys have ignored something which runs most of the time ?

Hint about source of problem , When you have nifty jazzy effects and cool looking UX there is a price to pay.

Last edited by amitk26 : 24th September 2010 at 16:20.
Old 24th September 2010, 17:04   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
I have been using Galaxy 3 for a week now, it is pretty good! You buy this phone in stead of Wildfire since later has got less CPU. Only cons with Wildfire is 5MP camera. Galaxy 3 is fast, elegant and beautiful, you can go for it.
But how do you find the low-res screenof SG3, esp. for seeing pics, browsing and video?

Am considering the Nokia 5235. Its higher res. screen and lower price is tempting. Could any users possibly comment on the GPS navigation, cam, etc., when compared to the GS3?

Last edited by Raccoon : 24th September 2010 at 17:06.
Old 26th September 2010, 12:30   #412
BHPian

Hi. I was wondering if you guys could help me out with this.
I have a HTC legend handset with a Vodafone connection. The net works fine however applications don't work. They worked on the iPhone and on my previous HTC handsets.
Is thr a work around?
I really don't want to opt for Vodafone mobile connect.
Old 27th September 2010, 10:28   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
Hi. I was wondering if you guys could help me out with this.
I have a HTC legend handset with a Vodafone connection. The net works fine however applications don't work. They worked on the iPhone and on my previous HTC handsets.
Is thr a work around?
I really don't want to opt for Vodafone mobile connect.
The only option is to use the net with wi-fi as Vodaphone does not support with HTC with their Rs. 95 voucher plan. Else go for the vodaphone connect.
Old 28th September 2010, 09:48   #414
BHPian

My Nexus one got the Android 2.2.1 OTA update, basically fixes the Wifi sleep issue and phone is a wee bit faster. Rock on!
Old 29th September 2010, 01:55   #415
BHPian

is the htc desire hd worth the wait ?
android 2.2 ,
4.3 inch screen
8 mp cam , twin led flash
sad 1250 amp battery
Old 29th September 2010, 06:39   #416
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
is the htc desire hd worth the wait ?
android 2.2 ,
4.3 inch screen
8 mp cam , twin led flash
sad 1250 amp battery
If with all those features, battery is 1250 mAH only, I would think twice.
This is just an observation based on the specifications mentioned in the post.
Old 30th September 2010, 12:55   #417
BHPian

Hi guys, I have Samsung galaxy5. can you please suggest me the free android applications for the following:
1. read and edit word/excel files.
2. to play .avi movies and also for divx and xvid codecs.
Old 30th September 2010, 14:18   #418
BHPian

any idea when the Desire Z releases in India?
Old 30th September 2010, 14:55   #419
BHPian

Just wanted to share my experience so far with the Sony Ericsson xPeria x10 Mini Pro.

Pros:
(1) Excellent battery life
(2) Compact in pocket and easy to use
(3) Decent camera
(4) Lightning speed

Cons:
(1) Small screen size (but can live with it)
(2) Wait for Android 2.1 upgrade

In summary I would recommend this phone to anyone who wants to have a smaller version of a smart phone.
Old 30th September 2010, 17:07   #420
Senior - BHPian

Anybody has any comments on the new Xperia X8? Just noticed it listed on Univercell for Rs. 13,846. At a quick glance the biggest cons seem to be the lack of AF cam and Donut (1.6). Price also seems a bit higher for its feature set.

Most Viewed