Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2013, 20:32   #15406
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Do you feel high RAM usage is an issue? I think it's OK. It just means more of your frequently used apps/services are in cache and that is a good thing. If you were to launch a heavy app like a game then android will move some of those out. Simple. The OS is pretty intelligent. You really don't need to micro manage the memory.

As for lag, it's there in S4 as well. Its the S-lag feature from Samsung
I don't really mind the RAM usage (it's there to be used), but the lag does get annoying sometimes. It's most noticeable when trying to switch to the dialer from a heavy App. I'm forced to use Touchdown for office email, so I frequently notice this when I have to make a quick call while reading emails.

The Samsung bloatware is a major hog, but I can't root the device, so I disabled everything I safely could.
Old 14th June 2013, 20:35   #15407
Senior - BHPian

Its been over a month with the HTC One and i can confidently say that this phone hasnt lagged on me even once in this time period, 4 secs lag is way too much, i havent even seen half a sec lag here.

Its ultra smooth and fluid all around, battery easily lasts a full 24 hrs+ with around 4 hrs of screen time. Recently switched to Trickdroid rom and its improved over stock.

I had a Note before this and was tired of the lags and touchwiz. Infact even i wondered if android would ever be lag free but am really hapoy with this phone, Samsung doesnt optimize software for their phones, the S4 google edition would show how quick the s4 really is.
Old 14th June 2013, 21:10   #15408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post

Not many in the family have an Android device so no app sharing there!

Sygic works well in Gujarat. Tried and tested on the iOS. Haven't tried it on Android, but I am pretty sure it's equally good.
Yep, android is equally good.
Old 14th June 2013, 21:34   #15409
Senior - BHPian

What is the word on product support for companies like Micromax, Lava, iBall, Xolo, etc? There is whole lot of them. Some of the models sold by these companies have impressive specifications and cost a lot less than the usual Sony/HTC/Samsung club. Having burnt my fingers with Motorola, I don't want to head down this road again with my next purchase. I have not decided on anything as such. My wife uses a Xolo X900 and the phone is superb. I will close my eyes and buy one more X900 if it was still available. I can't comment on support for the phone if it were to fail. I bought it with the confidence that nothing should go wrong for something manufactured by Intel. If I could buy another Atrix 2, I will. The specifications were perfect for my requirements. I don't need something like an S4, One or Sony Z. Are these off beat brands worth considering?
Old 14th June 2013, 22:31   #15410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Having burnt my fingers with Motorola, I don't want to head down this road again with my next purchase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
If I could buy another Atrix 2, I will.
Could you clarify Sandeep?

Long term reliability of all these local phones is questionable, its hardly been eight or nine months since the success of the Micromax A110, whi =ch pretty much got the ball rolling for these brands.
Old 14th June 2013, 22:52   #15411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recompose View Post
Could you clarify Sandeep?
I picked up an Atrix 2 11 months ago. For the time it worked, it was a superb phone. The phone died a month ago. No display and the phone was pretty much dead except that I could call it when it was switched on. It would stay dead though with no indication of a call coming in. Had to be turned off by pulling out the battery. Handed it over to their support center on the 11 May. They are waiting for spare parts for over a month. Calling Motorola toll free India is a sure shot way of heading to the hospital with high blood pressure. I think the toll free center exists just for the heck of it. Nothing really happens and I am not sure if they really do anything even though you raise a ticket with them. It looks like they have completely shut shop in India. The service center confirmed that sales was shut but support was still available. I highly doubt if my phone will ever get repaired or replaced. There is not a single active number anywhere for Motorola offices in India to find out whats going on. I will be very relieved if someone actually tells me to forget about the phone getting repaired. It is better than dealing with a wait that never seems to end.

With this experience and after having spent quite a bit for my first smart phone, I am not too keen on spending on another which is why I asked about the cheapo phones. Companies like Micromax, Karbonn, Lava, etc seem to be on a roll. The only question that remains is if they support their customers. Its a mixed bag if you read user reviews on flipkart.
Old 14th June 2013, 23:38   #15412
BHPian

So I havent yet got the opportunity to change the battery on my Note. The battery is not swollen or anything but was giving the charging sign even when not connected to the power.

Today noticed a strange thing, connected it to the another charger which has a light on it and as usual charged it. On disconnecting from the mains, the light charger continued to glow. I disconnected the phone and teconnected back again and the light again started to glow.

Seems the battery is sending current in the reverse direction to the charger. So is the problem still the battery or the micro USB port or the pins on the phone which connect to the battery? Taking it to the service centre will only end up facing incompetence of the workers there and get a huge bill for a replacement.

Can anyone tell me how much resale value I can get for the 1.5year old galaxy note in this market?
Old 15th June 2013, 01:54   #15413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
So I havent yet got the opportunity to change the battery on my Note. The battery is not swollen or anything but was giving the charging sign even when not connected to the power.

Today noticed a strange thing, connected it to the another charger which has a light on it and as usual charged it. On disconnecting from the mains, the light charger continued to glow. I disconnected the phone and teconnected back again and the light again started to glow.

Seems the battery is sending current in the reverse direction to the charger. So is the problem still the battery or the micro USB port or the pins on the phone which connect to the battery? Taking it to the service centre will only end up facing incompetence of the workers there and get a huge bill for a replacement.

Can anyone tell me how much resale value I can get for the 1.5year old galaxy note in this market?
Your usb charging port is faulty. Take a precision forceps and a raise the connector inside the usb charging port upward. This should resolve the issue
Old 15th June 2013, 10:07   #15414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
I had the same issue with my note and the micro usb port had to be chaned, it was done under warranty. This is a known issue with Note.

As for resale, just last week sold mine for 14, it was an year old and i had all accessories.
Old 15th June 2013, 10:56   #15415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post

Your usb charging port is faulty. Take a precision forceps and a raise the connector inside the usb charging port upward. This should resolve the issue
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
I had the same issue with my note and the micro usb port had to be chaned, it was done under warranty. This is a known issue with Note.

As for resale, just last week sold mine for 14, it was an year old and i had all accessories.
Thanks guys.

The pushing the hub was pointed out to me earlier, but yielded no results. Looks like I either have to visit the svc or sell it off. Micro USB charging is such a PITA.
Old 15th June 2013, 14:16   #15416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I don't really mind the RAM usage (it's there to be used), but the lag does get annoying sometimes. It's most noticeable when trying to switch to the dialer from a heavy App. I'm forced to use Touchdown for office email, so I frequently notice this when I have to make a quick call while reading emails.

The Samsung bloatware is a major hog, but I can't root the device, so I disabled everything I safely could.
All Samsung users...this is how I got rid of the infamous lag..without rooting:

I had been using Note for past 8 months and had been troubled with this lag intermittently. Due to requirement of a Dual Sim I gave the Note to my wife and switched over the Grand around 2 months back. The same story here albeit Grand is a bit better in terms of lag.

One fine day got irritated and decided to experiment a bit to get rid of this lag. From my Samsung Spica days I remembered some experiences and decided to use them here. Here's what I did:

1. Install Launcher Pro from Playstore. Launcher Pro is the smoothest and fastest launcher I have ever experienced and was the most favoured launcher during early Android days.

2. Make Launcher Pro the default launcher. Go to Launcher Pro preferences --General Settings and enable "Keep in Memory" and "Scrollable Widgets" (for e-mail/favourite contacts widgets).

3. Go to Homescreen Settings -- Homescreen looping ---select NONE and you are done with the launcher.

4. Now install Ex-Dialer from the Playstore and make it your default app for dialling and contacts view.

Done.

Now there is no lag in my Grand. Its been 10 days since I did the above. Must try for all....especially for owners of Samsung handsets.
Old 15th June 2013, 14:28   #15417
Senior - BHPian

^^Awesome, my dad is also complaining of lag in his Phone and says he want to buy s3 now

I'll do this and ask him to observe for few days. Let's see how it goes.
Old 15th June 2013, 14:31   #15418
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a sub 20K phone with good camera. I had shortlisted Lumia 720 and Xperia L. Lumia i am dropping because of lack of app framework

I did not like the camera of Xperia L much. It did not appear as good as Sony claims it to be. Where as i found Samsung galaxy Grand camera to be Awesome(in this budget) Getting it for 17.6K on ebay.

I see that Grand has got mixed review, mainly because it is not topping any charts. But it seem to be good in most of the aspects. I am not going to do hardcore gaming anyway

So the question i have is:
1. Future upgrades - official as well as community (Will i get 4.2 and say 5 in future?)
2. Does it come with scratch resistant glass ?
3. Does it have OTG ?
Old 15th June 2013, 15:13   #15419
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Hi Guys,

I am looking for a sub 20K phone with good camera. I had shortlisted Lumia 720 and Xperia L. Lumia i am dropping because of lack of app framework

I did not like the camera of Xperia L much. It did not appear as good as Sony claims it to be. Where as i found Samsung galaxy Grand camera to be Awesome(in this budget) Getting it for 17.6K on ebay.

I see that Grand has got mixed review, mainly because it is not topping any charts. But it seem to be good in most of the aspects. I am not going to do hardcore gaming anyway

So the question i have is:
1. Future upgrades - official as well as community (Will i get 4.2 and say 5 in future?)
2. Does it come with scratch resistant glass ?
3. Does it have OTG ?
It will get 4.2 and nothing after that.
No scratch resistant glass
Yes, there's usb otg , you can search and check by googling
Old 15th June 2013, 16:22   #15420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post

All Samsung users...this is how I got rid of the infamous lag..without rooting:

Now there is no lag in my Grand. Its been 10 days since I did the above. Must try for all....especially for owners of Samsung handsets.
Thanks Rohit, I did it now and my Grand is pretty fast. How do I make Ex Dialer the default one?
Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks