Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2013, 22:41   #15361
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Flipkart showed Nexus 4 out of stock so I didn't even know there was something like it.

The specs look incredible but what is the non-removable battery and no secondary camera in the front while the specs mention it.
The 2 GB RAM, quad core processor with unadulterated Android is something to be experienced. Yes the battery is non removable but is no big deal. There is a secondary front camera as well as a 8 MP main camera which is pretty decent. I am attaching a recent photo taken by the 8 MP camera for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-wap_4.jpg  

Old 11th June 2013, 23:38   #15362
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: App: Sygic & MapmyIndia Offline GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911er View Post
The Sygic & MapmyIndia offline Navigation app for Android is on Sale.

Usually retails for Rs. 1399/- and right now it's for Rs. 199/-

I've used the app in Maharashtra & Gujarat and it worked really well. One of the better Offline Navigation apps I've tried. Really helpful on road trips!
To some extent, I have to take back my earlier comments about Sygic support. I am still stuck with the problem that the current version cannot run India maps and more up-to-date but incompatible maps from other countries, but I can live with it. They have given me a fix for, after trying to return to India maps after Singapore, Sygic would perpetually go into product restore and never actually run.

Among other things, I had to loose the downloaded maps, but I don't mind. I'm happy that it works again.

At this kind of price it is a give away. Worth it even if it is only to play with for a day! Certainly not worth going with an illegal copy (there seem to be a lot about) when just over a hundred Rs gets the real thing.
Old 12th June 2013, 01:13   #15363
Senior - BHPian

Sony Xperia ZR launching soon for 29990. Pre booking open on flipkart etc.

Same processor, GPU, RAM as Nexus 4.

You pay 4000 extra and loose the "nexus" experience but gain a 13 MP camera, an SD Card Slot and the ability to wash your phone in water.
Old 12th June 2013, 06:21   #15364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

I am still stuck with the problem that the current version cannot run India maps and more up-to-date but incompatible maps from other countries, but I can live with it.

At this kind of price it is a give away. Worth it even if it is only to play with for a day! Certainly not worth going with an illegal copy (there seem to be a lot about) when just over a hundred Rs gets the real thing.
I've burnt my fingers with the earlier version as well. It was really buggy and kept FCing all the time.

This one's pretty stable though. I bought it a month back at full price! At 199, it's a steal!
Old 12th June 2013, 13:32   #15365
Senior - BHPian

We've got one person in the family who has bought Sygic India for the 1399/- price for his iPad. Everyone else just uses his account to download Sygic on their iPhones/iPads. For Free! It is a pretty convenient feature of the iOS if you ask me. If you have more than Apple devices sharing apps between them shouldn't be cumbersome and that's exactly how this iCloud works for sharing apps.

Not many in the family have an Android device so no app sharing there!

Sygic works well in Gujarat. Tried and tested on the iOS. Haven't tried it on Android, but I am pretty sure it's equally good.

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 12th June 2013 at 13:34.
Old 12th June 2013, 13:39   #15366
Senior - BHPian

Anyone in market for an upgrade? this one is a good deal. The only thing is, the process for 10k is quite LONG. wouldnt it be better to just go to a friendly neighborhood mobile shop and exchange your "smartphone" and avail the offer? Samsung is quoting ₹37500/- for NoteII. I think local mobile shops would be easily offering same for <35K. As a friend of mine picked up NoteII for ₹34k a while go and gave out his 2 yrs old Samsung Galaxy S2 and got 9.5k deducted for same. works out more or less the same.

Samsung Galaxy Note II now available with Rs. 10,000 cash back in exchange for select smartphones

Source :

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news...ome-editorpick
Old 12th June 2013, 13:53   #15367
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Anyone in market for an upgrade? this one is a good deal. The only thing is, the process for 10k is quite LONG. wouldnt it be better to just go to a friendly neighborhood mobile shop and exchange your "smartphone" and avail the offer? Samsung is quoting ₹37500/- for NoteII. I think local mobile shops would be easily offering same for <35K. As a friend of mine picked up NoteII for ₹34k a while go and gave out his 2 yrs old Samsung Galaxy S2 and got 9.5k deducted for same. works out more or less the same.

Samsung Galaxy Note II now available with Rs. 10,000 cash back in exchange for select smartphones

Source :

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news...ome-editorpick
Flipkart is offering 10k discount in two parts. It is already 32.5 K (without any buyback), if you give your phone in exchange, another 5K is knocked off.
Also, in other news HTC One and Galaxy s4 now cost about 37K . (On indiatimes and snapdeal.com)
Old 12th June 2013, 14:33   #15368
BHPian

Got Sony Xperia SP for my wife last week. However from fourth day onwards, facing issues with the phone
  • Phone is not getting detected by PC companion software which comes with the phone. I tried the same with my laptop as well as desktop. But on both the machines, PC companion is not detecting the phone. Actually for the first time, phone is detected by the PC. However if the phone is unplug and connected again, then having issues. Restarting the phone does the trick
  • Camera is showing error. Once this happens, phone has to be restarted. And the instrument is getting hanged during restart.
Sony customer care indicated that this is s/w issue. However we think its a faulty piece. Planning to take the phone to Sony service in a day or two. Meanwhile awaiting response if any one of BHPians has faced similar issue.

Last edited by F1amit : 12th June 2013 at 14:34.
Old 12th June 2013, 15:12   #15369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911er View Post
I've burnt my fingers with the earlier version as well. It was really buggy and kept FCing all the time.
Right at the beginning of my problem, after I had downloaded the Singapore map set and found I could no longer access my India maps, Sygic told me that the easiest work around for this was to downgrade from the 13 version to the 12.something. In retrospect, this might have been the easy answer, but I didn't do it. 99% of the time, India maps is all I want anyway.
Old 12th June 2013, 16:21   #15370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1amit View Post
Got Sony Xperia SP for my wife last week. However from fourth day onwards, facing issues with the phone
  • Phone is not getting detected by PC companion software which comes with the phone. I tried the same with my laptop as well as desktop. But on both the machines, PC companion is not detecting the phone. Actually for the first time, phone is detected by the PC. However if the phone is unplug and connected again, then having issues. Restarting the phone does the trick
  • Camera is showing error. Once this happens, phone has to be restarted. And the instrument is getting hanged during restart.
Sony customer care indicated that this is s/w issue. However we think its a faulty piece. Planning to take the phone to Sony service in a day or two. Meanwhile awaiting response if any one of BHPians has faced similar issue.
Is it upgraded to the latest firmware? I've heard there's a new update coming out : .284 which improves the camera. You should try that when it available.

Xperia ZR is available for preorder on Infibeam and Flipkart, price at 29990. Release date 3rd week of june. Same specs as n4, but has a 13mp camera and is waterproof. This might be my next phone
Old 12th June 2013, 21:40   #15371
Senior - BHPian

Just read somewhere that the latest android upgrades on Nexus phones would last only one year, any truth in that?
Old 13th June 2013, 00:43   #15372
BHPian

Quote:
Just read somewhere that the latest android upgrades on Nexus phones would last only one year, any truth in that?
Well, I don't have a reason to believe that. Unless Google makes such a drastic change in the software that the current device cannot support it, it should continue getting the updates.
Old 13th June 2013, 04:51   #15373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like around two years:
See http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_google_nexus_s-3620.php date
and see last image (4.1.1) here: https://developers.google.com/androi...s/images#sojuk

But bear in mind the dev community continues to hack around and get as much juice outta their devices as they can
Old 13th June 2013, 05:23   #15374
BHPian

Quote:
No truth in that. And this is going to become irrelevant anyways. Google has been doing amazing job taking apps and services out of the OS and putting them as separate entities on Play Store. That way all the devices get to enjoy greatest and latest Google services.
Old 13th June 2013, 05:44   #15375
BANNED

^^^Didn't quite get that. Examples?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks