Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2013, 18:34   #14611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

Yes, zero depreciation. Even I never expected that.

The seller is Sarf Trading, Chennai. The ebay seller name is shabbeerhf1.

And he sends me this in whatsapp after I set up my new phone:
Yes, he's a great seller. I had all my seller warranty phones from him and he has excellent shipping times too. All the time I ordered from him, I got it delivered the very next day. Hope am not marketing anyone or anything here :-D
Old 21st April 2013, 18:41   #14612
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

2 weeks on my S2 with JB 4.1.2 and I am truly hating it! The battery life has become less than half of what it used to be with ICS and the phone keeps on hanging and restarts automatically (even 2-3 times a day). Each time it does this it eats away 20-30% of the battery.
I was checking on whether I can downgrade back to ICS, but sammobile also is not showing the old firmwares and is just showing the new JB 4.1.2 versions for India.
Guys help please!
I am not rooted and am on the official 4.1.2 Samsung firmware on my Samsung S2 i9100

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 21st April 2013, 20:34   #14613
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
2 weeks on my S2 with JB 4.1.2 and I am truly hating it! The battery life has become less than half of what it used to be with ICS and the phone keeps on hanging and restarts automatically (even 2-3 times a day). Each time it does this it eats away 20-30% of the battery.
I was checking on whether I can downgrade back to ICS, but sammobile also is not showing the old firmwares and is just showing the new JB 4.1.2 versions for India.
Guys help please!
I am not rooted and am on the official 4.1.2 Samsung firmware on my Samsung S2 i9100

Regards,
Behemoth
Same here. But atleast I'm not suffering from automatic restarts that eats up the battery. This used to happen when I was running ICS 4.0.3. The battery drains out faster if I switch on the Wifi but even on data, it drains out. My phone is also not rooted and I've deleted most of the useless apps, still it persists. Hopefully there should be some fix coming for it soon.
Old 21st April 2013, 21:54   #14614
BANNED

Quote:
Guys help please!

Regards,
Behemoth
For one, you could try reinstalling the firmware onto the device using Kies(I suppose you can't reinstall OTA).

If not, only way to downgrade would be to root and flash ICS via Odin.
If you can hold a few weeks, Samsung is also slated to release 4.2 update. Hopefully it would get better!
Old 22nd April 2013, 04:07   #14615
Senior - BHPian

Guys i need your help in deciding the next android phone for me, currently using a Samsung Note 1 and i am really happy with the performance, build quality and the after sales support (did get a chance to use it).

In the states right now and am really getting confused between the the HTC ONE M7 and Galaxy S4, the ONE has launched and S4 will launch next week.

Have my heart on HTC but dont know if i will get accustomed to their Sense UI, average battery life and have heard the resale and after sales support is terrible in India.

S4 is a beast tech wise but in the youtube videos, the real world performance (opening fb apps, gallery etc) felt much snappier on the HTC. Again the same plasticky build and nothing new to explore but the battery should be better, new "smart" features and the outstanding after sales, also it has a 5 inch display and doest lose any screen real estate like Htc ONE due to on screen buttons.

Help please, my daily use consists of FB, Whatsapp, emailing, 1-2 hours of calling and i really want a lag free phone now. Samsung ruined the Note after their JB update.

Tried IP5 for a few days but its too small after using Note

Last edited by coolboy007 : 22nd April 2013 at 04:08.
Old 22nd April 2013, 06:35   #14616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I got S3 Mini for my wife and it's actually a pretty good device. The processor is 1GHz dual core processor with 1GB RAM. That's plenty juice for 480x800 screen. Overall experience is very fluid and smooth because of this.

Physically it looks very good. It's a copy of original S3 in that department, so if you like S3, you'd like S3 Mini. Currently it is running 4.2.1 and Samsung has promised 4.2.2 for it. However according to rumors, it will stay on 4.x.x forever officially. For custom ROMs, I haven't seen much traction for it on XDA, may be because of low no of users and the fact that Samsung hasn't released sources for this device yet.
Thanks Gandhi. Ordered S2, costs a little more but has better after market support than S3 mini and newer quad core phones.
Old 22nd April 2013, 09:30   #14617
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
For one, you could try reinstalling the firmware onto the device using Kies(I suppose you can't reinstall OTA).

If not, only way to downgrade would be to root and flash ICS via Odin.
If you can hold a few weeks, Samsung is also slated to release 4.2 update. Hopefully it would get better!
Thanks Agam.
I took some feedback from others too and almost every one is suffering similar battery drain.
To start with, I have uninstalled almost all the applications and touchwood now the phone restarting issue seems to be solved.
I am willing to wait for a few days and hope that 4.2 will solve the problem, otherwise, I will downgrade back to ICS through Odin.

Thanks!
Old 22nd April 2013, 09:45   #14618
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for a Dual SIM Android phone with decent specs (dual core processor and dual camera).

What are my options apart from Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos ?

Anybody used LG L7 II dual ?

Rohan
Old 22nd April 2013, 11:02   #14619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
In the states right now and am really getting confused between the the HTC ONE M7 and Galaxy S4, the ONE has launched and S4 will launch next week.

Have my heart on HTC but dont know if i will get accustomed to their Sense UI, average battery life and have heard the resale and after sales support is terrible in India.

S4 is a beast tech wise but in the Youtube videos, the real world performance (opening fb apps, gallery etc) felt much snappier on the HTC. Again the same plasticky build
Go for the One. I have used the HTC One during Mobile World Congress in Barcelona few weeks back. Its a great looking phone (Metal!) and the Sense 5 UI is really different than the traditional android experience. It is not complex, no need to worry whether you can get accustomed to it or not. I really hope HTC will give Sense 5 to its not-so-old models like One X too.

Out of all the phones I tried during the MWC demo (includes One, Xperia Z, LG phones, Samsung phones etc.) I felt HTC One had the edge in looks as well as user experience.

Last edited by clevermax : 22nd April 2013 at 11:10.
Old 22nd April 2013, 11:42   #14620
BHPian

Has anyone tried the JB update for LG Otimus 4X HD or L9? I guess the update is out, my 4X shows a message to connect to the PC suite to be able to install new update. I want to take a full backup before trying this and also would like to know if anyone had any success with this update.
Old 22nd April 2013, 11:50   #14621
BHPian

Quote:
Guys help please!

Regards,
Behemoth
I was on the same boat. Wiped cache partition in the recovery mode and battery seems to have slightly improved.

Also, if you have switched on location services for Google now, this seems to contribute to waking up the phone often.

Use it only if Google now really matters to you.
Old 22nd April 2013, 11:57   #14622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Same here. But atleast I'm not suffering from automatic restarts that eats up the battery. This used to happen when I was running ICS 4.0.3. The battery drains out faster if I switch on the Wifi but even on data, it drains out.
Looks like we all have a similar problem with the S2. I recently updated my S2 to 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OTA and I too have observed that the battery life has become worse. It was working fine for a few days but from the past 4-5 days, I am facing this issue. I don't have the restarting problem though. But the phone gets so hot (you can probably fry an omlette on it) and the battery drains 30-40% in a minute. This is happening at random though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Thanks for this info. I was thinking downgrading back to ICS, but I guess I'll wait for the upgrade.
Old 22nd April 2013, 12:51   #14623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Guys i need your help in deciding the next android phone for me, currently using a Samsung Note 1 and i am really happy with the performance, build quality and the after sales support (did get a chance to use it).

S4 is a beast tech wise but in the Youtube videos, the real world performance (opening fb apps, gallery etc) felt much snappier on the HTC. Again the same plasticky build and nothing new to explore but the battery should be better, new "smart" features and the outstanding after sales, also it has a 5 inch display and doest lose any screen real estate like Htc ONE due to on screen buttons.

Help please, my daily use consists of FB, Whatsapp, emailing, 1-2 hours of calling and i really want a lag free phone now. Samsung ruined the Note after their JB update.

Tried IP5 for a few days but its too small after using Note
I would definitely go for the HTC One as compared to the Samsung Galaxy S4. The One has much better build quality (Aluminium is always good ) and a better screen IMO. Also, I consider Sense to be a much more mature UI as compared to Samsung's hopeless TouchWiz. I also prefer the button arrangement of the One. I would prefer onscreen buttons like my Galaxy Nexus, but this is the next best thing. The One also has the fantastic BoomSound stereo speakers on the front. The S4 might have a better camera, but the One's is perfectly good for normal use.
Old 22nd April 2013, 13:31   #14624
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post

But the phone gets so hot (you can probably fry an omlette on it) and the battery drains 30-40% in a minute. This is happening at random though.
I was having this overheating and sudden battery draining issue with ICS but found out that the battery was at fault. It was old and needed replacement. After replacing it, I started getting over 15hours with Wifi and around 40 hours with data only. Now its back to 14-15 hours with whatever I use. I guess this is something due to the chipset of S2 as whenever I use it vigorously for some app or anything, it gets hot and battery drops. Moreover using 3G drains it faster.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 22nd April 2013 at 13:34.
Old 22nd April 2013, 15:00   #14625
BANNED

@nipcarlover; htc rules the roost where build quality is concerned. However, the hassle of unlocking the bootloader makes life more difficult. Probably now there is an official route things may not be as bad as for people like us.

Most Viewed