Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2013, 14:09   #14476
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
You might need to condition your battery. It could be that its not charging full due to fatigue? Try that. If your phone is rooted then delete old battery stats file after charging to full, and then switch it off let it charge for some more time.

Also Google Now is a big battery sucker. If that and location update is enabled it will eat up battery.
Thanks joslicx,
I will try disabling the location update option and see whether I can save some battery. The Google Now is installed on my phone, but I just can't find any place to uninstall it - any idea on how this can be removed?
My phone is not rooted - can you also suggest whether I should root it and how I can do it.

Thanks!
Old 11th April 2013, 14:20   #14477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Thanks joslicx,
I will try disabling the location update option and see whether I can save some battery. The Google Now is installed on my phone, but I just can't find any place to uninstall it - any idea on how this can be removed?
My phone is not rooted - can you also suggest whether I should root it and how I can do it.

Thanks!
Actually one thing one must do after system update (or after flashing a ROM) is to condition the battery. It takes about 2-3 cycles for it to be properly conditioned (at least true for Li-ion batteries). If rooted then first delete battery stats file (or in recovery wipe battery stats). If not rooted then I guess bump charging should help. Let it die completely, then charge for about 8 hours (with phone switched off) then switch on the phone and charge for 1 hour and then again switch it off and charge for an hour. Do it 2-3 times and then battery should have forgotten its history and should charge to full.

By the way its better to get rooted if its not illegal (I think its illegal for carrier locked phones in US but not sure). Sorry I cant help more with S2 as I dont own it but theres a big community on XDA forums and you can get all instructions there on how to root it etc.

Edit: Dont remove Google Now. Its quite good. I like it really.
Old 11th April 2013, 14:25   #14478
Senior - BHPian

I have an HTC explorer android phone.
The phone came with dismally low internal memory, which was not really a concern because there was no plan to load a universe of apps.

HOWEVER, off late I observe that I am facing shortage of space issues. This is because the google app store, some google services and gmail app download their updates. The only way to rectify the problem is to remove the pre-loaded crapware that came with the phone.

Anyone tried rooting here? Is it possible to roll back the changes in case something goes wrong? I don't want to load a custom ROM etc, but is there a way to gain root acces just to remove the crapware?
Old 11th April 2013, 14:50   #14479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I have an HTC explorer android phone.

Anyone tried rooting here? Is it possible to roll back the changes in case something goes wrong? I don't want to load a custom ROM etc, but is there a way to gain root acces just to remove the crapware?
Yes, I have rooted my Explorer sometime back. There's a thread on XDA which gives detailed instructions on how to get root access on the stock ROM.

If you want to increase your internal memory without installing a custom ROM, I recommend the link2sd app. You can use that to uninstall pre loaded bloatware as well.

EDIT: Here's the tutorial on how to root the phone: forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1415223

Last edited by Speed.Demon : 11th April 2013 at 14:54.
Old 11th April 2013, 16:28   #14480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Yes, I have rooted my Explorer sometime back. There's a thread on XDA which gives detailed instructions on how to get root access on the stock ROM.

If you want to increase your internal memory without installing a custom ROM, I recommend the link2sd app. You can use that to uninstall pre loaded bloatware as well.

EDIT: Here's the tutorial on how to root the phone: forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1415223
Native SD is a new type of ROM where you can install multiple ROM and increase the phone storage to based on your usage. You can allocate 2 GB as local storage from 8GB micro SD card. The 2GB partition will be in EXT4 and will be considered as local storage. I am using it in my HTC HD2 with JB version and 2 GB local storage, now I am able to install lot of apps.
Old 11th April 2013, 17:03   #14481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post

The phone hanging issue is probably due to a bad application which is probably not working well with the JB OS - try uninstalling all the apps and once you catch the culprit app, the issue should be solved.

What you can also do is check on the play store for other users feedback on the apps and if other users are also complaining of this issue with that specific app, get rid of it asap.

Regards,
Behemoth
Thanks. Will try this. Google now is certainly a battery hog. Other than weather updates that pop up now and then, it hasn't started to be more useful for me now.
Will wait for it to learn more and start its magic before deciding to disable it.

It's the battery drop with every crash that baffles me. That never happened with ginger bread, became a bit more frequent on ics, and now very common on JB.
Old 11th April 2013, 17:44   #14482
BHPian

Normally we install a game and then download 1-2gb of data after the installation. So what happens when we uninstall the game? Is the data also deleted or we do it manually?
Old 11th April 2013, 18:53   #14483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Native SD is a new type of ROM where you can install multiple ROM and increase the phone storage to based on your usage. You can allocate 2 GB as local storage from 8GB micro SD card. The 2GB partition will be in EXT4 and will be considered as local storage. I am using it in my HTC HD2 with JB version and 2 GB local storage, now I am able to install lot of apps.
This went over my head. I am supposed to find a ROM called Native SD and load it?
Old 11th April 2013, 20:36   #14484
BHPian

Bought myself a Micromax A116 from a B&M shop in Bangalore. My second MMX. Initial impressions are fantastic!.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_2829.jpg
Old 11th April 2013, 20:53   #14485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Also Google Now is a big battery sucker. If that and location update is enabled it will eat up battery.
I keep hearing this from people that Google Now is a big battery sucker. I have it ON along with location update (otherwise how would Google Now work) and I don't see it consume more battery. Biggest battery sucker is still the screen. Nothing comes close to the screen.
Old 11th April 2013, 21:24   #14486
BANNED

Hi All,

I have a doubt,before i upgraded my note to Jelly bean the SMS ring tone and Facebook chat messages used to have different tones,now while chating the same SMS ring tone comes on for each and every message typed and vibrates too (thought all vibration settings are off)

Now any idea how to stop the tones & vibration for facebook chat.
Old 11th April 2013, 22:18   #14487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binzone View Post
It's the battery drop with every crash that baffles me. That never happened with ginger bread, became a bit more frequent on ics, and now very common on JB.
Can you try deleting cache of such crashing apps from system-> app manager, then restart?

I think it should solve the issue.
Old 11th April 2013, 22:26   #14488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I keep hearing this from people that Google Now is a big battery sucker. I have it ON along with location update (otherwise how would Google Now work) and I don't see it consume more battery. Biggest battery sucker is still the screen. Nothing comes close to the screen.
well I frequent xda forums a lot and lot of people there say that and seeing that nobody ever seems to refute them, I've started believing it.

Not that its a concern for me as I recharge my phone battery every night nonetheless. I try AOSP roms every now and then for fun, but they tend to be too bland for my liking and I keep going back to ICS roms that have all the Sense goodness built in. I like Google Now but in India havent found much use for it really.

Last edited by joslicx : 11th April 2013 at 22:27.
Old 12th April 2013, 01:24   #14489
Senior - BHPian

This is for galaxy grand users here, Do you guys use any protection, for so called aluminum finish on sides ??

I do have a flip cover along, but i am more concerned about sides, I am sure, they will attract scratches easily.
Old 12th April 2013, 03:41   #14490
Distinguished - BHPian

PlaneSploit

Hopefully not ever available at an app store near you ...or anywhere! Really shocking!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks