Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2013, 18:11   #14356
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Androidians,
A quick request. This is for a friend - suggest the cheapest android mobile that qualifies on the below requirement

1. Gorilla glass
2. Android 4.0+
3. Email Push / Pull facility
4. Good Maintenance service centres
5. Screen size 4.5”+

And no, Nexus 4 is not part of the solution list I already suggested that to him.
Old 1st April 2013, 19:30   #14357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Androidians,
A quick request. This is for a friend - suggest the cheapest android mobile that qualifies on the below requirement

1. Gorilla glass
2. Android 4.0+
5. Screen size 4.5”+

And no, Nexus 4 is not part of the solution list I already suggested that to him.
I'd say, the Micromax Canvas HD or the Galaxy Grand would be good although I am not sure if they have Gorilla Glass.
Old 1st April 2013, 20:09   #14358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
I'd say, the Micromax Canvas HD or the Galaxy Grand would be good although I am not sure if they have Gorilla Glass.
Gionee Dream D1. It fits the bill to the core. The good thing is, they have already opened many service stations and the numbers are already up on their website. Seems Gionee is very serious about Indian market and according to few blogs, its an OEM partner of MMX.
Old 1st April 2013, 21:20   #14359
Team-BHP Support

Guys can any one suggest me a good head set for Atrix 2 ? My stock head phone ceases to work. And I am not able find anything compatible to the phone.

Its surprising that a 3.5 mm Jac and a mic protocol dont seem to be the same across devices.
Old 1st April 2013, 21:33   #14360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Androidians,

1. Gorilla glass
2. Android 4.0+
5. Screen size 4.5”+

If the "cheapest" part is not such a big criteria then I guess the Galaxy S3 could be a contender. I heard it could be bought for about 27-28k which makes it a total VFM and a better buy then the likes of canvas or mmx offerings.
Old 1st April 2013, 21:56   #14361
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
If the "cheapest" part is not such a big criteria then I guess the Galaxy S3 could be a contender. I heard it could be bought for about 27-28k which makes it a total VFM and a better buy then the likes of canvas or mmx offerings.
Well going to the range of ~30k gives several options I believe. HTC/Samsung/LG - all m

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Gionee Dream D1. It fits the bill to the core. The good thing is, they have already opened many service stations and the numbers are already up on their website. Seems Gionee is very serious about Indian market and according to few blogs, its an OEM partner of MMX.
Ah thanks. Never heard of this brand though. Not really a great point to make, being OEM partner for MMX! Will pass on this option to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
Na - both don't have gorilla glass. Although I have been pushing him for the Canvas HD myself.
Old 1st April 2013, 22:16   #14362
BHPian

Quote:

Na - both don't have gorilla glass. Although I have been pushing him for the Canvas HD myself.
There is another option, but J don't think that will cover your service centers requirement and that is the Galaxy Nexus. I am using this phone since a year and it has not given me any problems. Although currently the Nexus 4 would be a better choice. Why Is your friend rejecting it? It's a really good phone. Also, he might want to wait for devices like the HTC One and the Samsung Galaxy S4.
Old 1st April 2013, 22:58   #14363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well going to the range of ~30k gives several options I believe. HTC/Samsung/LG - all m
well ninja personally I do not have good opinion of cheaper androids. Android as an OS is pretty resource intensive and the experience is not the same if hardware is inferior. Its always better to invest a little bit more and get a decent device. I think below 25k Windows phone provides better overall experience. Above that Android is the king.

S3 is a pretty solid phone (except for build quality that is sub par). Excellent 720p screen, fast processor, samsung software hacks etc make it cool. LG has Optimus G around that mark and HTC has OneX and both these are also equally good.
Old 2nd April 2013, 06:50   #14364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post

well ninja personally I do not have good opinion of cheaper androids. Android as an OS is pretty resource intensive and the experience is not the same if hardware is inferior. Its always better to invest a little bit more and get a decent device. I think below 25k Windows phone provides better overall experience. Above that Android is the king.

S3 is a pretty solid phone (except for build quality that is sub par).
IMO, Canvas HD or likes of Lava Q800 like phones, though cheaper, offers better hardware for the price.
I am really surprised by the quality & performance of canvas HD.

Though it may not have Gorrila glass, a good quality screen protector for 300-400 bucks would take care of that part, as there were few posts earlier in this thread questioning the ability of gorilla glass display.
It is not crack proof.It is only sctratch resistant, which negates use of extra layer of screen protector. So your friend can very well have look at new , budget quad core options available in the market now.

(BTW, Canvas HD now retailing at 17k in the market due to its demand, So i think Nexus 4 becomes a more suitable choice if he is not worried about warranty part)
Old 2nd April 2013, 06:56   #14365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post

(BTW, Canvas HD now retailing at 17k in the market due to its demand, So i think Nexus 4 becomes a more suitable choice if he is not worried about warranty part)
Where and for how much is Nexus 4 available?
Old 2nd April 2013, 07:55   #14366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navneet View Post

Where and for how much is Nexus 4 available?
Available at firangibhai.com for 26600 for 8gb and 29900 for 16 gb afaik.
Old 2nd April 2013, 08:36   #14367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post

Available at firangibhai.com for 26600 for 8gb and 29900 for 16 gb afaik.
That is costly. For that price, S3 makes a better buy with warranty & other easily avaiable accessories etc.

I think, better to order N4 via a friend from US.
Old 2nd April 2013, 08:57   #14368
BHPian

Quote:

That is costly. For that price, S3 makes a better buy with warranty & other easily avaiable accessories etc.

I think, better to order N4 via a friend from US.
One of my friends got it for very cheap almost at the US price plus 1400 shipping and customs. Will ask him in detail and report back how he managed that.
Old 2nd April 2013, 09:06   #14369
Senior - BHPian

Samsung is nuts
Galaxy S4 mini to be launched soon !
Old 2nd April 2013, 10:03   #14370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Samsung is nuts
Galaxy S4 mini to be launched soon !
Samsung is very aggressive - with all consumer electronic items. That is why it has overshadowed lot of its competitors - e.g. Apple in phones and Panasonic, Sony in television.

Quote:
Caution: Build quality of S3 is reported to be very bad. Drop the phone once and you might not see it in one piece. So, S3 is not recommended for flimsy hands.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks