Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2013, 00:21   #14416
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Can Anyone here help me replace the outer glass of my Samsung
Galaxy S3 or let me know any place in Bangalore where i can get it done..
Only the outer glass,Lcd is working fine.

Last edited by lancer_maniac : 6th April 2013 at 00:23.
Old 6th April 2013, 09:55   #14417
Team-BHP Support

Ok, I am getting old, and I am having difficulty reading tiny fonts on my Defy.

I tried changing font size to large or huge under settings. It has no effect. What am I missing? I am on MIUI CM7.
Old 6th April 2013, 10:01   #14418
BHPian

After having a Wildfire and a DesireS (both bought at their peak rates), I am now thinking of going for a chinese/cheaper phone this time. I am OK with having it shipped into India and living without warranty too. Please suggest any models that meet the following criteria
a) Android JB
b) ~4in screen (not a fan of big screens)
c) QHD or above resolution
d) Dual SIM and Dual active will be good (but not must)
e) finally, 12..15K all inclusive price
I am assuming at this price range, dual core and 1GB RAM are minimum.
Old 6th April 2013, 10:04   #14419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
After having a Wildfire and a DesireS (both bought at their peak rates), I am now thinking of going for a chinese/cheaper phone this time. I am OK with having it shipped into India and living without warranty too. Please suggest any models that meet the following criteria
a) Android JB
Why go for a chinese brand at this budget? You can very well get branded mobiles with your criteria in that range. Xperia P is one. Here are couple of listings.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Brand-New-Ori...#ht_3030wt_906

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Brand-New-Ori...#ht_3008wt_906

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 6th April 2013 at 10:06.
Old 6th April 2013, 14:41   #14420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
a) Android JB
If android isnt a must requirement. You may also check out newly launched Nokia Lumia 520. Its 1ghz snapdragon dual core processor 4" screen etc. Priced at ₹10,500/-

It seems like a good value for money device.

Regards,
Old 6th April 2013, 17:37   #14421
BHPian

Re: Root on Nexus 4?

Please suggest me on a easier/simpler way to root my nexus 4. I am on Android 4.2.2 and Build# JDQ39.
Old 6th April 2013, 18:09   #14422
Distinguished - BHPian

Quick update,my cousin just informed me that he has updated his software on Samsung Galaxy S2 to 4.1.2. I'm trying it now,keeping fingers crossed with the stupid KIES.Our phones are not rooted.
Old 6th April 2013, 19:01   #14423
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Quick update,my cousin just informed me that he has updated his software on Samsung Galaxy S2 to 4.1.2. I'm trying it now,keeping fingers crossed with the stupid KIES.Our phones are not rooted.
The update had come 3 days back itself. I had even posted it here. It went smoothly for me and the phone really feels refreshingly new.
Old 6th April 2013, 21:42   #14424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Ok, I am getting old, and I am having difficulty reading tiny fonts on my Defy.

I tried changing font size to large or huge under settings. It has no effect. What am I missing? I am on MIUI CM7.
Is this complain specific to the browser application (text rendered inside the browser) or is it overall for the operating system?

Edit: Tested this on my 4.1.2. Changed from normal to large. The text size increased instantly.

What happens if you try Accessibility options and select "Large text"? That works for me too.

Last edited by S_U_N : 6th April 2013 at 21:45.
Old 6th April 2013, 21:47   #14425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac View Post
Can Anyone here help me replace the outer glass of my Samsung
Galaxy S3 or let me know any place in Bangalore where i can get it done..
Only the outer glass,Lcd is working fine.
Hey buddy,
Same thing happened to my note2, They said the entire display has to be replaced, they charged about 7 Grand for it, So hopefully its cheaper for s3
They did it at the authorized samsung service centre(shops in National market were quoting even higher)
Name: Mobile Seva
#139, Sterling Height, Ground Floor, Infantry Road, Opp to the Hindu
Phone: 41527338
They did a perfect job, it was expensive(cheaper to other places i asked) but it would render a 35k phone useless, So had to get it done
Recommened!
Old 6th April 2013, 22:13   #14426
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Is this complain specific to the browser application (text rendered inside the browser) or is it overall for the operating system?
The whole OS actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
What happens if you try Accessibility options and select "Large text"? That works for me too.
Where is this option? I am using Wajk MIUI 2.3.7 (GB).

Last edited by Samurai : 6th April 2013 at 22:39.
Old 7th April 2013, 10:20   #14427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

The update had come 3 days back itself. I had even posted it here. It went smoothly for me and the phone really feels refreshingly new.
Thanks. I had put it up for update today morning and got it done. Still looking and trying out new features. Phone does feel new. Hopefully there should not be any battery issues. The new font, cool jazz although is a strain on eyes,this is what I feel.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 7th April 2013 at 10:23.
Old 7th April 2013, 13:01   #14428

*Mods, my apologies if this is post is more appropriate for a Fiat-related thread...

Okay, so for all Android users out there, I've managed to get text messages read out aloud over a Blue & Me connection. This should - might, hope so, who knows - also work with aftermarket and Ford BT devices:

Yeah, that's right. The pleasure of having real estate spam read out while driving is no longer restricted to Windows Phone 7.x/8 users. Android users can also have messages read out over their Bluetooth connection (Though strictly speaking, it's the phone that reads stuff out, not B&M)

I recently switched from WP7.8 to Android and one of the things I missed about MS's oh-so-promising-but-not-quite-there platform was the SMS reader that worked fine with Fiat's Blue & Me.

First, for all the Windows Phone users out there, you can also reply back to texts using Blue & Me. Actually, to be completely honest, the B&M reader isn't used for this, but rather, the Windows Phone Text-to-Speech and Voice Recognition which thumbs a ride over the B&M system. Of course, in the real world, it works better than the B&M reader (the option of replying; more lifelike; and pretty much as seamless as B&M)

Now, Android users, you've got a couple of options:

A. The quicker-yet-not-as-good way: I found this app called SMS, My Car, and Me on Google Play. This can be configured to launch manually, with a car dock, or when a specific BT connection is activated (In our case, when the B&M 'My Car' connection is made). No root required.

It reads out messages (You can switch between auto / check first) and can also store predetermined texts that you can select ("Reply Number One..."). What I do miss is that it can't transcribe our reply like the WP reader would. However, this *apparently* also works with E-mail, FB Messenger, Whatsapp (root required), and KakaoTalk.

B. The better-and-almost-awesome Tasker way: For the uninitiated, Tasker's a phone automation and scripting app for Android. You'll also need to buy another app called BTMono which lets you send any audio stream over a BT connection. (You might not need this if your car BT supports A2DP)

So far, I've managed to get Tasker to:

1. Turn on BT when leaving home/work (by sensing WiFi connectivity). Have also includeded a timeout for turning BT off if I'm ambling around on 1 humanpower.

2. Speak aloud "B&M connected" ... Heck, get it to speak aloud anything you want - over the Bluetooth link.

3. If any text comes in when connected to my car's BT, it asks me. If the reply matches - 'Yes', 'Yup', 'Yeah', or, taking inspiration from late-night tellyshopping, a rather exuberant 'Jeeeee Haaaaan', it reads out the message.

4. The next step will be to ask me if I'd like to send a reply, and if so, use Google's Voice Recognition to take a message.

Hope this helps; Tasker's a damned powerful tool and frankly, someone with a better sense of scripting/flowcharting will be able to make better use of this.

If you folks want to build on from what I've done so far, lemme know - I'll put the relevant Tasker 'profiles' up on my blog...
Old 8th April 2013, 00:43   #14429
BHPian

Is there any app that lets you search for calendar entries based on keyword and multiple select from the result, and delete all the selected entries in one go?
Old 8th April 2013, 10:34   #14430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Why go for a chinese brand at this budget? You can very well get branded mobiles with your criteria in that range. Xperia P is one. Here are couple of listings.
Thanks, I will checkout the Xperia P as well. Any users of X-P out here?

I somehow feel that we could now trust the chinese/cheap android phones to do a decent job, at least for a year or two (you may want to move to a new phone by that time).

Most Viewed