Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2013, 10:53   #14371
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Samsung is nuts
Galaxy S4 mini to be launched soon !
SAMMOBILE reports that the unveiling might happen this week itself.

Quoted from their article:

Quote:
The Samsung Galaxy S4 mini is expected to come in 2 colours Black Mist and White Frost.
======================= The codename of the Galaxy S4 mini is GT-I9190, duos version is GT-I9192.
Source
Old 2nd April 2013, 11:14   #14372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
IMO, Canvas HD or likes of Lava Q800 like phones, though cheaper, offers better hardware for the price.
I am really surprised by the quality & performance of canvas HD.

Though it may not have Gorrila glass, a good quality screen protector for 300-400 bucks would take care of that part, as there were few posts earlier in this thread questioning the ability of gorilla glass display.
It is not crack proof.It is only sctratch resistant, which negates use of extra layer of screen protector. So your friend can very well have look at new , budget quad core options available in the market now.

(BTW, Canvas HD now retailing at 17k in the market due to its demand, So i think Nexus 4 becomes a more suitable choice if he is not worried about warranty part)
well when you are buying a touchscreen phone, the screen is the one that is most integral to the whole smartphone experience. I wouldnt buy a touchscreen that doesnot come with anti-scratch glass. screen protectors themselves scratch and it looks hideous in no time. I have HTC Sensation for 2 years now and the screen is just pristine! No scratch whatsoever. And there is no protector I've ever used!

I bought a cheap chinese tablet (Ainol) once and it had million scratches on the screen in no time. It really was very bad experience. And one fall and the screen was gone. I wouldnt touch any cheap stuff now.
Old 2nd April 2013, 11:26   #14373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Androidians,
A quick request. This is for a friend - suggest the cheapest android mobile that qualifies on the below requirement

1. Gorilla glass
2. Android 4.0+
3. Email Push / Pull facility
4. Good Maintenance service centres
5. Screen size 4.5”+

And no, Nexus 4 is not part of the solution list I already suggested that to him.
Micromax a90s - only criteria it doesn't meet is 4.5"+ as it is 4.3".
http://www.micromaxinfo.com/mobiles/...uperfone-pixel
Price would range from 11-13K.

Last edited by alto99 : 2nd April 2013 at 11:29.
Old 2nd April 2013, 15:06   #14374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Detailed instruction in the 1st post of this thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1161110

Making a backup is always advisable. I'd recommend Titanium Backup PRO for this. Use SMS Backup and Call Log Backup (both apps by Ritesh Sahu on Play Store). Your contacts and calendar are already backed up in your Google a/c.
So I shut down the phone, power it on and then follow these steps?

1. Boot into bootmenu by pressing volume down when device flashes a blue led at bootup. Set default boot mode to 2nd init.
2. Select Recovery/Stable Recovery. Choose "Wipe Data/Cache" option. Let finish.
3. Choose Install zip from SD Card, select WajkIUI_multilang .zip and let it finish.
4. select "Wipe Cache" then go to Advanced and select "Wipe Dalvik Cache". Reboot Now!
Old 2nd April 2013, 17:27   #14375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post

well when you are buying a touchscreen phone, the screen is the one that is most integral to the whole smartphone experience. I wouldnt buy a touchscreen that doesnot come with anti-scratch glass. screen protectors themselves scratch and it looks hideous in no time. I have HTC Sensation for 2 years now and the screen is just pristine! No scratch whatsoever. And there is no protector I've ever used!

I bought a cheap chinese tablet (Ainol) once and it had million scratches on the screen in no time. It really was very bad experience. And one fall and the screen was gone. I wouldnt touch any cheap stuff now.
True for touch screen phones.
Even I am fan of gorrila glass after using Defy for almost 2yrs.
I was referring to some posts earlier where it was mentioned that Gorilla glass can also break/ crack if phone is dropped. Not sure if Gorrila 2 is weaker as it is thinner to reduce weight & improve touch response.

Was suggesting otherwise, if your friend was looking for other alternatives.
Old 2nd April 2013, 18:17   #14376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

well ninja personally I do not have good opinion of cheaper androids. Android as an OS is pretty resource intensive and the experience is not the same if hardware is inferior. Its always better to invest a little bit more and get a decent device. I think below 25k Windows phone provides better overall experience. Above that Android is the king.
I kinda agree here though not fully. Why exactly is your friend stuck on android? At his budget I'd rather look at Lumia 620 or 720. Mid range androids ie with single /dual core processor and less than 1 gb RAM don't do justice to the bloated android OS IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post

One of my friends got it for very cheap almost at the US price plus 1400 shipping and customs. Will ask him in detail and report back how he managed that.
it must be the shop and ship route. I know many people who have got it via that channel. Best solution for people who prefer a direct Play Store purchase vis a vis grey market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
So I shut down the phone, power it on and then follow these steps?

1. Boot into bootmenu by pressing volume down when device flashes a blue led at bootup. Set default boot mode to 2nd init.
2. Select Recovery/Stable Recovery. Choose "Wipe Data/Cache" option. Let finish.
3. Choose Install zip from SD Card, select WajkIUI_multilang .zip and let it finish.
4. select "Wipe Cache" then go to Advanced and select "Wipe Dalvik Cache". Reboot Now!
Yes that's the correct sequence.
Old 2nd April 2013, 18:39   #14377
Senior - BHPian

Guys: Im looking for a tablet for gaming - Any pointers? Need the best graphics
Old 2nd April 2013, 20:03   #14378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Nexus 7 , no question, available for 16000 on the Google Play Store with Tegra 3 and a 7" screen, perfect for gaming.
Old 3rd April 2013, 12:15   #14379
BHPian

Guys,

Just an update. Finally the JB for Galaxy S2 has arrived in India via Kies. The update was available from around 10 AM this morning.

Anyone updated already? Pls share your feedback. Have heard some rumors that the delay was account of battery drain issue.

Will be very interesting to know how the battery behaves after the update.

Cheers
Old 3rd April 2013, 14:01   #14380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
I'd say, the Micromax Canvas HD or the Galaxy Grand would be good although I am not sure if they have Gorilla Glass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Gionee Dream D1. It fits the bill to the core. The good thing is, they have already opened many service stations and the numbers are already up on their website. Seems Gionee is very serious about Indian market and according to few blogs, its an OEM partner of MMX.
Quote:
If the "cheapest" part is not such a big criteria then I guess the Galaxy S3 could be a contender. I heard it could be bought for about 27-28k which makes it a total VFM and a better buy then the likes of canvas or mmx offerings.
Gionee Dream D1 is a perfect choice if you are not averse to Chineese brands. I purchased one two days back for 15.5K. It meets all your requirements and more(SuperAmoled screen) and is good VFM. The touch is smooth and display is great. The call quality is good. It is quite thin and feels light like Samsungs. They have few service centres which are basically cell shops. But they claim to have good stock of spares. Only time can tell if it will remain trouble free.
Old 3rd April 2013, 15:09   #14381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Asus Transformer

10 inch screen, Quad Core, Tegra 3 processor, 10+ hr battery life and 3D stereo - couldn't get any better for gaming!

Here's the link for techspecs

http://www.johnlewis.com/asus-transf...lue/p231659141

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 3rd April 2013 at 15:12.
Old 3rd April 2013, 20:10   #14382
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am looking at Lumia 720 as a possibility.
The launch price for the 720 as per a pre order link on ebay.in would be 16,990/- This one is going to give Nokia is last decade volumes back!
Old 4th April 2013, 07:24   #14383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Guys,

Just an update. Finally the JB for Galaxy S2 has arrived in India via Kies. The update was available from around 10 AM this morning.

Anyone updated already? Pls share your feedback. Have heard some rumors that the delay was account of battery drain issue.

Will be very interesting to know how the battery behaves after the update.

Cheers
Just upgraded to JB via kies. The interface is totally new. But not sure if project butter is as smooth as hyped. There is a difference in smoothness but not so noticeable.

Battery seems to drain a bit faster now.

They still haven't fixed the sudden drop in battery that happens some times after a restart.

Google now seems to be fun. Need to explore more.

I am not happy that the notification bar is now having a grayish background instead of black. Is there an option to set this back to full black.

Enjoying the new features like direct call. Yet to try smart stay.

Will post again after watching battery performance for a couple more days.

Please post your experience with the official jb.
Old 4th April 2013, 11:46   #14384
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,

I had rooted my Moto Defy+ as instructed here, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1889325

Was happy to uninstall some of the useless default apps and was looking forward to ditch the stock ROM for a custom ROM.

But the happiness was short lived. I used to access my Company e-mail through Good For Enterprise. Now after the rooting it won't work because my company doesn't allow 'Good' to be used in rooted phones :(

Has anyone experienced this? Is there any work around to have a rooted phone and still be able to use 'Good'?

Thanks.
Old 4th April 2013, 11:55   #14385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
The launch price for the 720 as per a pre order link on ebay.in would be 16,990/- This one is going to give Nokia is last decade volumes back!
Really? This price will surely rock many manufacturer's boats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Guys,

I had rooted my Moto Defy+ as instructed here, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1889325

Was happy to uninstall some of the useless default apps and was looking forward to ditch the stock ROM for a custom ROM.

But the happiness was short lived. I used to access my Company e-mail through Good For Enterprise. Now after the rooting it won't work because my company doesn't allow 'Good' to be used in rooted phones :(

Has anyone experienced this? Is there any work around to have a rooted phone and still be able to use 'Good'?

Thanks.
I'm a bit puzzled here. How would your organization know that your phone is rooted? Why would they disallow Good to be used on a rooted phone? Doesn't make any logical sense to me.

Personally I have NEVER experienced any such case - be it email or any other apps. Rooting does not affect the functioning of ANY app. It just gains you admin rights to uninstall OE bloatware and flash custom ROMs.

Btw Touchdown by NitroDesk is by far the best Exchange email app I've used on Android.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks