Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2015, 13:31   #21871
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Well, I just went through a similar situation. I own a Samsung Galaxy S3 - now running a custom KitKat based ROM (OmniRom) and have been struggling with the lack of available memory when I run two-three apps.

It seems that apps are no longer optimised as much as they used to earlier ; given the available memory and processor capacity available to them on the latest phones.

I then started shortlisting and basically came down to either the Moto X-play or the Moto X Gen2 (2014). The earlier Moto X was much better due to the smaller size, but the lack of external memory put me off. Also the earlier Moto X has those cool infrared sensors which allow you to wave at it for certain functions - which the Play has lost.

I then compromised on the Play - placed my order yesterday morning on Flipkart and at the end of the day when I checked the status - it still indicated my order was not yet processed. And then I noticed that I had a Oneplus2 invite in my Inbox

Next steps were very clear - if I had to have a bigger display, the OP2 wins over the Moto X Play. Cancelled the order, placed a new order on Amazon - and now I just heard that I might even get my OP2 today!!!
Old 23rd September 2015, 19:54   #21872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by execve View Post
Well, I just went through a similar situation. I own a Samsung Galaxy S3 - now running a custom KitKat based ROM (OmniRom) and have been struggling with the lack of available memory when I run two-three apps.

It seems that apps are no longer optimised as much as they used to earlier ; given the available memory and processor capacity available to them on the latest phones.
It seems you had an unstable/unofficial build, development-grade possibly, running on your S3. If you still have the phone around, I would very strongly recommend you to switch to Resurrection Remix 5.1.1 official, which IMHO is possibly the very best custom ROM out there. Stable, clean and well optimised. Some very neat features in there too, including active display from the Moto X. Their official website is www.resurrectionremix.com.
I had my mom's galaxy grand lagging and crashing on stock jelly bean, I switched straight to 5.1.1 lollipop via this ROM, and it has been performing magically snappily and reliably ever since. And the best part, this ROM gives better battery life than the stock ROM too!

Quote:
And then I noticed that I had a Oneplus2 invite in my Inbox
Now that, dear sir, is what they call LUCK!!!

Quote:
And now I just heard that I might even get my OP2 today!!!
Now that, dear sir, is what they call SUPERLUCK!!!
Congrats BTW!

Last edited by mukul32 : 23rd September 2015 at 19:56.
Old 24th September 2015, 08:52   #21873
BHPian

Updated my US Moto G 1st gen single SIM to 5.1 from 5.02 a few days back.

The phone has become terribly slow with lags all around and apps hanging. It's been almost a week since I got the notification and updated it. No respite so far. Fortunately no random restarts or overheating or such.

Have had not a single issue with this piece in the journey from 4.4.4 to 5.02.

Finally time for a phone upgrade? But Moto has me spoilt with the near stock Android. Think shall wait a few weeks, hoping Moto X Style launches in India. Hopefully the camera on this should address the one sore point in the Moto range.
Old 24th September 2015, 09:11   #21874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiusPitar View Post
Updated my US Moto G 1st gen single SIM to 5.1 from 5.02 a few days back.

The phone has become terribly slow with lags all around and apps hanging. It's been almost a week since I got the notification and updated it..
Ideally 5.1 improves performance over 5.0. These days 5.1 has just got blissfully fast on my phone compared to when I initially upgraded from 5.0. But I always perform factory before and after the upgrade followed by cache partition formatting.

Did you also do the same? If not then perform a factory reset/format now along with 'wipe cache partition'. Update all the Google and Motorola apps and see if it improves the situation for you.
Old 24th September 2015, 10:15   #21875
BANNED

it seems that new generation of Nexus are about to be launched this time from LG and Huawei on the 29th.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/google-...tag=TRE17cfd61
Old 24th September 2015, 13:39   #21876
BHPian

Guys,

We have Moto G3 16GB finalized.

Needs:
1. Good camera + battery backup.
2. Reliable/proven brand/product, fairly up to date.
3. Good amount of accessories, covers, etc. (yeah,the phone is for the missus!)

Any other phone that has every thing that the G3 has, with good number of accessories & stuff would be a welcome suggestion.

I am looking forward for some deal. Any pointers would help.

G3 is out of stock, as of now.
Can't wait for long, since the current phone has kinda become unreliable.

Thanks,

Ace.
Old 24th September 2015, 14:32   #21877
Senior - BHPian

I got a 242 MB update for my S6 Edge. I could make out two major changes in first attempt.

1) All default icons have got rounded edges.

2) App Edge is now added.

3) Live YouTube Broadcasting mode in the camera app

I am looking for change logs for this update. If anyone knows anything else, please do share.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 24th September 2015 at 14:38.
Old 24th September 2015, 15:45   #21878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Guys,

We have Moto G3 16GB finalized.

Needs:
1. Good camera + battery backup.
2. Reliable/proven brand/product, fairly up to date.
3. Good amount of accessories, covers, etc. (yeah,the phone is for the missus!)

Any other phone that has every thing that the G3 has, with good number of accessories & stuff would be a welcome suggestion.

I am looking forward for some deal. Any pointers would help.

G3 is out of stock, as of now.
Can't wait for long, since the current phone has kinda become unreliable.

Thanks,

Ace.
At that price the G is the best phone overall by far. The two biggest pros being water resistance, and stock Android, which is a far better bet than the useless custom skins you get from other OEMs. Camera is a straight lift from Nexus 6, and among the best in class.

There are a lot of other phones that give you sleek designs or surprisingly strong specs at the same price, but lack as overall packages. Still, other good phones are:
ASUS Zenfone 2 (Blazing fast but plasticky and heavily bloated),
LG Spirit (Well built, lollipop preloaded but not the best UI),
Lenovo K3 Note (Good specs, but bloated and ugly UI),
Xiaomi Mi4 (premium, great camera but no sd slot)
etc.

The only thing you need to remember is that to keep the water resistance, you can only use official Motorola back panels. Any cases on top of the back panel would be fine though, I guess. And due to the sheer popularity of the device, there is an abundance of cases, flip covers, skins, etc available.

Last edited by mukul32 : 24th September 2015 at 15:49.
Old 24th September 2015, 17:06   #21879
Senior - BHPian

I had seen few guys here use the Ampere app to check on the charging current. I installed it and compared with the USB Charger Doctor and its way off. Atleast on my Nexus 7 anyway.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20150922_203653001.jpg
Old 24th September 2015, 17:32   #21880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I had seen few guys here use the Ampere app to check on the charging current. I installed it and compared with the USB Charger Doctor and its way off. Atleast on my Nexus 7 anyway.
Holy cow - what app do you use in that case?
Old 24th September 2015, 17:38   #21881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Holy cow - what app do you use in that case?
I don't use an app - I have the charger doctor
Old 24th September 2015, 18:43   #21882
BHPian

Quote:
I don't use an app - I have the charger doctor
Interesting. Have you tried with different cables? Also look out for the heat generated by the cable. I think it might be the cable loss accounting for the measuring difference.
Old 24th September 2015, 18:52   #21883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Interesting. Have you tried with different cables?
Yes - the difference between a 6 inch cable and 6 feet cable is about 0.1A. Longer cable usually means a higher resistance and hence lower current being passed through it.

However - there might be a chance its showing net addition to the battery, the tablet is using up 0.5A of current and hence the values reported by Ampere are lower?
Old 24th September 2015, 19:38   #21884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I...Ampere app to check on the charging current. I installed it and compared with the USB Charger Doctor and its way off...
USB doctor is displaying the gross current from charger port, but, Ampere app shows the net current (I guess) being used to charge the battery i.e. gross current supplied - current drained by the phone/tab device itself. I have seen my HTC Desire 820 discharge/drain about 200ma (Ampere app reported) when display is on without any other activity.

It is like when your headlights, AC etc are on- vehicle alternator has to output higher in order to sustain the load + also keep battery charging on.

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 24th September 2015 at 19:41. Reason: explained bit more
Old 25th September 2015, 09:41   #21885
BHPian

Quote:
Yes - the difference between a 6 inch cable and 6 feet cable is about 0.1A. Longer cable usually means a higher resistance and hence lower current being passed through it.

However - there might be a chance its showing net addition to the battery, the tablet is using up 0.5A of current and hence the values reported by Ampere are lower?
That makes sense. It really depends on where the actual current in ampere is measured from. From the input of USB or from the charging point of battery.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks