Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2015, 13:34   #21946
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Then warranty terms and network bands may differ between the different devices sold in the different countries. So no sense in getting their phones from other countries.
Expected prices of Moto X Style is around 35K for the 32GB variant.
I expect some variation in the 4G area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
In fact way less than 30k for a new one. Available on FK for 22k for the 16GB version and sold by WS Retail.
I think you are mixing up Play and Style!! Style is the same with a slower processor and 2GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
Yes Sir. It is indeed launching, and as of all Moto's, will be available exclusively through Flipkart. As of the 'Pure' branding, as far as I know it is exclusive only to the US as it is sold only unlocked there. And as it costs around $400 there, would be fair to expect around 28-30k here. Excellent for a stock Android device with a great camera and expandable storage. The Nexus 5X, for a comparison, will reportedly cost 31k for the 16 GB and 36k for the 32 GB variant.
I am waiting for it. I was going to order a Play but then have decided to wait for a week or two. It is to replace my Sprint htc One m7 (CDMA+GSM). It has adapted very nicely to a GSM only regime, except I have to mnually log in the network every time I switch zones.
Old 7th October 2015, 13:49   #21947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
I am facing a strange issue with my Moto G3 from the past 3 days. The battery consumption has increased tremendously (atleast by 3 folds). As per my normal usage, my phone discharges by about 10% over the night (Wifi/4G/Location/Sync all turned on). But now it discharges around 35% over the night. When I checked the battery stats, it seems that the Google Play Services is consuming the maximum battery. A quick search of google tells me that there is an issue with Google Play Services consuming ridiculous amount of battery in lollipop.

Anyone else facing this issue ?

I face this issue in my first gen Moto E running on 5.1
If I leave phone with the battery around 15% when Im off to bed, I wake up only to find the phone dead. It drains pretty fast once it goes past the 15% mark.
Was thinking of swapping it for the Moto G3, but looking at the complaints, I'm thinking of reconsidering my decision.
Old 7th October 2015, 14:26   #21948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
I face this issue in my first gen Moto E running on 5.1
If I leave phone with the battery around 15% when Im off to bed, I wake up only to find the phone dead. It drains pretty fast once it goes past the 15% mark.
Was thinking of swapping it for the Moto G3, but looking at the complaints, I'm thinking of reconsidering my decision.
I think this is a hot issue currently. Waiting for an update from Google for the play services to fix this bug. In the meanwhile, I have disabled the background data for Google Play Store and Google Play Services. Things are better now with this temporary solution.
Old 7th October 2015, 15:00   #21949
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think you are mixing up Play and Style!! Style is the same with a slower processor and 2GB.
In fact I was referring to Samsung Galaxy S5.
Old 7th October 2015, 15:40   #21950

I too am facing issue with Moto G3 since last few days. I am observing lag in getting calls connected. There is a slight heating observed. I thought it is some app misbehaving but after uninstalling most of the apps also issue is same. The phone was working superbly till few days back. I was a Moto G2 user till now so can vouch that MotoG3 is very good but this strange behaviour of phone is concerning me.
Old 7th October 2015, 15:41   #21951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
My low cost Android One gets Marshmallow way ahead of many flagships. Thinking if I should click through and install. The first version always has bugs, but I can't wait to try Marshmallow out.
Oh wow, this is just great !
May I know which device it is?

Android said that it would rollout Marshmallow for Moto G3 by end of October.

Post some screenshots of any noticeable visual changes
Old 7th October 2015, 15:55   #21952
BHPian

Quote:
This is not only about stock Android, camera, specs or price point, rather the nifty Moto features come loaded with Moto X make it much more desirable than others. Again posting the link explaining tips and trick to tweak the Moto X: http://www.androidauthority.com/moto...tricks-647009/

Then build quality and availability in different customized materials also put it apart.

This is one phone which users usually prefer to keep it stock due the features it offers, its not for those who like tinker with OS or like to play with different custom ROMs. Nexus makes more sense for those.
Very rightly said. The Moto software enhancements are all minimalistic and actually useful, as opposed to gimmicks like small apps and heart rate monitors that only work with bloated and ugly OEM firmwares. And that's the best reason one should actually pick the X Pure over even the OP2.

Though that's till the device is fresh. Once the phone gets a bit old, and the updates stop coming your way, you could as well switch to the custom ROM way. And the biggest benefit of the X series here is, the phone being pure edition, free of carriers, and being sold in exactly the same configuration around the world would help a huge way in developing ROMs and testing them.

For example, the first gen Moto X is not getting Marshmallow. But it is still a pretty solid phone, feels just perfect in the hand, with a great AMOLED screen, 2 gigs of RAM, etc. So if anyone has a first gen X now in good shape, they could as well flash a CM13 maybe, and use it for another year.

Similarly, if someone were to own, say, a Galaxy S4, that was also launched around the same period, it has two major versions- a Snapdragon version for Western markets and another version running their own Exynos processor for Asian and other markets, including India. And in them too, there are more variants- LTE, non-LTE, single SIM, dual SIM, varying in storage, having different configurations for different countries. All being sold as the Galaxy S4 officially.
So if someone were to own a Galaxy S4 in two different countries, it would most likely be different models. And the differences in specs would mean a ROM developed for one won't work on another, though both have been bought as the same phone- Galaxy S4. This creates obvious fragmentation and freezes not only official updates, but custom ROMs too much sooner than the hardware can support them.
On the other hand, for example the ancient Motorola Defy aged ao well, that it too had a CM12 port! So it could practically run on stock Android 5.0! Or the HTC Nexus One, the very first Nexus, also had a CM11 port, meant it could run KitKat!

Last edited by mukul32 : 7th October 2015 at 16:09.
Old 7th October 2015, 17:45   #21953
BHPian

Quote:
This is not only about stock Android, camera, specs or price point, rather the nifty Moto features come loaded with Moto X make it
Nexus makes more sense for those.
While I am a fan of the Moto X phones, doesn't anyone else think that the Style is too big? At 5.7", it's just a teeny bit shy of the monstrous Galaxy Note5.

I dunno, maybe my hands are too small
Old 7th October 2015, 17:57   #21954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
While I am a fan of the Moto X phones, doesn't anyone else think that the Style is too big? At 5.7", it's just a teeny bit shy of the monstrous Galaxy Note5.

Moto X 2014 is still available at heavy discounts for few of the those lucky people who don't fall for "new must be good".

Frankly I also prefer the 2014 over the 2015 variants, be it size or looks. Rather I feel the 2014 will outperform the 2015 variants during daily day usage. Current crop of 64 bit chips by Qualcomm are not good enough to beat their last generation 32 bit chips. Then FHD resolution of 2014 variant will be lesser resource demanding compared to quad HD of 2015 pure edition.

Anyways coming onto the size of the 2015 Style/pure edition, they managed to keep the bezels very thin which helped them keeping the width under control. Though height has increased but still the overall phone doesn't feel as huge as Nexus 6. I posted a video link few posts, that must help to observe the size.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 7th October 2015 at 18:07.
Old 7th October 2015, 18:04   #21955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Stay away from sony, after using 4 phones in 2 years, every phone has failed after 1 year either with cracked screen or mother board failing bcos of heat etc. Even if motherboard fails during warranty they say its water damage and not covered. Have used Z, Ultra Z, and Z Compact. Have moved to Moto now. The last awesome phone I had was Moto Defy, hope this will continue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
+1 Cannot speak highly about Sony service. My 3.5 mm Jack for the ZR went out of order and they just refused to fix it. They said the phones will NOT be repaired. They said they will give a discount on a new Sony purchase! Shifted to Moto as well.
Yes, have had a really bad experience with my mom's Xperia Ray. Screen would go blank, and even after 4 visits to the service centre, the problem was not solved. Finally paid 500 bucks to Akosha who helped me get a screen replacement. So Z3C is ruled out for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Samsung S5 should be costing at this range if not new atleast in the used market. I would definitely pick a S5 over most of the other phones at this price range.

Alternatively the Nexus 5X should be priced around that point if not max 35K. YOu should definitely try that.

And Moto X Style should be at similar price range and comes with SD card as given above.

I think Moto X Style is the best for sure for price and features. UNless you are a Samsung or Apple fan, Moto X makes more sense for its price range and almost pure ANdroid and guaranteed updated to newer software within a months time.
S5 seems to have heat issues with resource-intensive apps and games. Three S5 users I spoke to complained of heat issues while playing games. Nexus 5X seemed a bit overpriced for what it offers. 30K+ (since 16GB is too less for me, I'll have to get the 32GB model) and still 2gigs RAM. Moto X Style maybe a good phone w.r.t. specs but personally I'm not comfortable handling phones with screen sizes above 5.2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Related question:

Would a Moto X Pure bought in US work in India?

What does it cost in US?
Regular calls and 3G is not an issue but as far as I know, India and US have different 4G/LTE bands. If the International version has FM Radio the there is a high chance that the US model wont have it. Also, considering that they cost more or less the same, I don't think its worth getting the phone from US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post

+1. Same reason I am not going for the X Style. X Play seems good but sadly 2GB RAM.
Old 7th October 2015, 18:40   #21956
BHPian

Here is a comparo between MotoX 2015, 2014 and 2013 I came across few days back: http://www.computerworld.com/article...14-moto-x.html

MotoX 2014 is till a beast. Downside of 2014 variant is that it will be at risk of not receiving firmware updates after one year whereas 2015 variants are fresh and will get updates for much longer time from now. Usually their upgrade cycles are around two years (18 months to be precise).
Old 7th October 2015, 19:39   #21957
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys , how to sort the contacts by groups in Android?. I have assigned contacts to different groups but i am not able to figure out how to see contacts of a particular group. I want to know how to filter what contacts i see based on the group i have created.

Phone is Moto G2 running on Lollipop
Old 7th October 2015, 19:46   #21958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Guys , how to sort the contacts by groups in Android?. I have assigned contacts to different groups but i am not able to figure out how to see contacts of a particular group. I want to know how to filter what contacts i see based on the group i have created.
Open contacts, click on the three vertical dots on right top to open the menu, there you will see option "Contacts to display", tap on it. "All contacts" is selected by default. tap on "customize" > tap on the google account > here you will see the list of your groups and can make your choices.
Old 7th October 2015, 19:53   #21959
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
So Z3C is ruled out for now.
Let me be one of the few to bat for Sony, as a 2nd time consecutive user i.e Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro > Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. I exchanged the last one, having had absolutely no problems after 3 years. Yes I have to admit that reading reports of issues in that model did have me worried but my faith in Sony as a quality manufacturer made me go for it.

After 6 months and having washed the phone several dozen times under the tap, I can report that there is absolutely no issue so far. The camera is a class apart specially in dark lighting situations, all the updates have come over-the-air and I'm now running the latest Android (M update expected within this year). Not that I'm particular about updates but nice to know that Sony is doing a good job this time around.

Now what makes me really love this phone is the premium feel, everything about this phone screams premium, the way its made, the graphics, icons the Sony software like Walkman, Movies etc are a class apart. I honestly felt like laughing when I operated a Samsung the other day, it felt like a kiddy phone what with the cartoony graphics and all (not sure of latest models like S6). It even had an accidental drop from about 3 feet and nothing happened (without glass protector, I hate those). No offense to those owning Apple, Samsung, Moto and other Chinese models, they are all good value and quality in their own right but so far there is very little to fault a Z3 Compact for, after operating it I simply cannot even touch another phone. Useful features like double-tap to wake up, water-resistance & voice-answering machine have become a part of my daily phone operations. I use camera in manual-mode only and I get perfect shots every time. In the end this is only my experience and I cannot assure you that you will feel the same way.
Old 7th October 2015, 22:23   #21960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
S5 seems to have heat issues with resource-intensive apps and games. Three S5 users I spoke to complained of heat issues while playing games. Nexus 5X seemed a bit overpriced for what it offers. 30K+ (since 16GB is too less for me, I'll have to get the 32GB model) and still 2gigs RAM. Moto X Style maybe a good phone w.r.t. specs but personally I'm not comfortable handling phones with screen sizes above 5.2"
Mostly you want all in one phone at that price point. I cant see which one will satisfy all these(except an Iphone but even there battery and screen size could be an issue). Moto X Style is the best of the world and for smaller size i cant think of a device better than S5 from older generation.

All these phones will heat up. There is no escaping when the LCD with such vibrant colors and brightness runs for 20 minutes while playing a game.

The sony older series should be cheaper but it has its own ups and down.

Once you get used to a phone like S6 or iphone 6s you will know there is a switch up in the genaration of handsets. To me the S6 series of phones including the Note 5 camera is the fastest i have ever used. The ability to click a picture as fast as a DSLR shows the jump.

But compromise is lack of sd, price etc etc.

You will have to take a compromise. I am never a fan of Sony phones. Sony i will stick to cameras but phones i rather look at somewhere else.

This is where the Moto X Style makes it a very compelling phone. Great hardware, beautiful screen, great software of the lot, micro Sd and fairly affordable with almost stock android. What you compromise is probably slightly bigger phone. I can assure you, that the phone grows down in size as usage continue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks