Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2015, 16:14   #21901
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Hah! well done. Still waiting for my Aukey car charger.
If you are OK to pay more; its available in Amazon India as well.

Mine came in one day!

http://www.amazon.in/Qualcomm-Certif...keywords=aukey
Old 1st October 2015, 18:40   #21902
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Saw a review of the latest nexus devices.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/hands-o...tag=TRE17cfd61

Both look very good!!
the TOI is not too hot on the new devices, and also points out that you may need a cable for the conventional USB link, which is about 1k.
Old 1st October 2015, 21:17   #21903
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you are OK to pay more; its available in Amazon India as well.

Mine came in one day!

http://www.amazon.in/Qualcomm-Certif...keywords=aukey
It is this one I am getting, also from Amazon.in, and, in going to get that link, I see it has shipped today, from Delhi, so it is on the way
Old 1st October 2015, 21:30   #21904
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It is this one I am getting, also from Amazon.in, and, in going to get that link, I see it has shipped today, from Delhi, so it is on the way
Oh! its the car charger that you are getting. Even I thought about it. But some how chickened out I was not comfortable with a high current output device for the car. Agreed its safe, but am just paranoid.
Old 1st October 2015, 22:07   #21905
Senior - BHPian

@thad

I also got the below one which makes it easier to adapt GPS, DVR and chargers. Not sure if its available in Amazon.in but this one is build well and works actually well.

Installed it right into the compartment next to the gear box and sits inside comfrotabley while also giving me fast charge for devices.

http://www.amazon.com/BESTEK%C2%AE-C...hter+Adapter+7
Old 2nd October 2015, 00:35   #21906
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@thad

I also got the below one ... ... ...
That looks very good. Anyway, I have bought now, and it is on the way.

Really, my maximum use in the car is two devices: my phone and wife's phone. Even if I am using GPS, it will still be on my phone.

Quote:
... ... ... I was not comfortable with a high current output device for the car. Agreed its safe, but am just paranoid.
Hmmm... never thought of that.
Old 2nd October 2015, 07:12   #21907
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was not comfortable with a high current output device
Yeesh, and you go with the handle 'ampere'? You're a disgrace to your handle

Jokes apart, it probably depends on your usage. If you're having equipment permanently plugged in (e.g. GPS/dashcam), then low is the way to go, I agree. On the other hand, if you use it for mobile charging, then I prefer high current. My rationale is that I'm on the go in my car, so the quicker it charges my device the better, since I'll have a better charged phone when I leave the car.

Quote:
Anyway, I have bought now, and it is on the way.
Any reason you opted for the Qualcomm model, and not something like the Nokia DC-20 on Flipkart or Amazon.in? Or other reliable brands like Capdase or Belkin? They're far cheaper than the Qualcomm one, and Nokia is also one I'd trust to put in adequate safety circuitry. I notice that the 1-2 week delay on your product indicates its being imported by the seller. I've seen far too often that these guys mark up the prices to make a healthy profit beyond the cost of shipping + customs.

Pair the charger of your choice with AmazonBasics cables, and you're set.

I know its quite late for me to be chipping in with this info, what with you having placed your order (I don't check this thread often).
Old 2nd October 2015, 12:57   #21908
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

I was planning to purchase Nexus 6P. US price is 499$ for Nexus6p 32GB model, which roughly comes to 33K. But the same model in INDIA costs 39,999. So almost 40K.

Does it make sense to buy Nexus 6P at 40K or extend a little more and buy Galaxy Note 5 @ 50K. Please suggest.
Old 2nd October 2015, 13:20   #21909
Senior - BHPian

@arunphilip, they are all 1 A chargers, the aukey one is specifically for the qualcomm devices which support quick charger technology which charges the phone in very fast time. An empty phone can be fully charged up in less than 2 hours. This is specially useful, when in car, so that you can plug the phone while in the car and leave with a full charge when leaving.

In a normal charger, if you charge the phone and still use the GPS with the screen on most of the time, you might still be loosing phone battery, with the charger not meeting the expectations. Hence the requirement for a fast charger.

The amazonbasics cable is a 28 gauge cable (as per review) that can just barely handle 1A, where as the cable that you should be looking for is 20 gauge cables that are thicker and can handle 2.4 Amps.
Old 2nd October 2015, 13:40   #21910
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
@arunphilip, they are all 1 A chargers, the aukey one is specifically for the qualcomm devices which support quick charger technology which charges the phone in very fast time.
Thank you, that's very useful to know - I wasn't aware of this quick charge technology - I can see how charging at 12 - 18W will make a difference. And as you said, that is very useful in a car.
Old 2nd October 2015, 15:39   #21911
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Yeesh, and you go with the handle 'ampere'? You're a disgrace to your handle
He wants all the amps for himself!

Quote:
Any reason you opted for the Qualcomm model ... ... ...
govigov nailed it. Whilst an upgraded cable might have given some improvement on the almost-thing charging performance of my existing charger/phone combination, I wanted to take advantage of the Quick Charge 2 technology.

For those times that the phone has been forgotten all day (believe it or not, it quite often is!) I want to be able to get an evening's worth of charge, at least, out of a half-hour trip.

I'll report back on how that works out!
Old 2nd October 2015, 18:38   #21912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does it make sense to buy Nexus 6P at 40K or extend a little more and buy Galaxy Note 5 @ 50K. Please suggest.
Depends on what you want. Its half a lakh on a phone and you have to find which one you will like for a year or two max. I usually skip generation and after S5 i am skipping the next generation to see technological advance rather than size and ram. S5 is plenty good even with my broken screen.

Nexus has stock android. Its 100times better than samsung junk. But the newer version of Samsung is actually not bad and far leaner and meaner. Yet they are not close to stock nexus usage.

Also with Nexus 2-3 years you are good with regular software updates. Samsung i am not going to say they are regular and usually comes bloated with their nonsense.

Note 5 has a stylus. I found my usage to be 2% and i ended up not buying notes any more.

Nexus 6P for pure unadulterated smooth android experience
Note 5 - Simply the oomph factor, screen and the camera.

Nexus 6P Camera has better sensor atleast in paper.
Old 2nd October 2015, 19:36   #21913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Depends on what you want. Its half a lakh on a phone and you have to find which one you will like for a year or two max. I usually skip generation and after S5 i am skipping the next generation to see technological advance rather than size and ram. S5 is plenty good even with my broken screen.

Nexus has stock android. Its 100times better than samsung junk. But the newer version of Samsung is actually not bad and far leaner and meaner. Yet they are not close to stock nexus usage.

Also with Nexus 2-3 years you are good with regular software updates. Samsung i am not going to say they are regular and usually comes bloated with their nonsense.

Note 5 has a stylus. I found my usage to be 2% and i ended up not buying notes any more.

Nexus 6P for pure unadulterated smooth android experience
Note 5 - Simply the oomph factor, screen and the camera.

Nexus 6P Camera has better sensor atleast in paper.
Yes, I too follow the same strategy with nexus line. I was on Galaxy Nexus, skipped Nexus 4 and bought Nexus 5. Skipped Nexus 6 and was waiting for latest nexus.

I am not interested in stylus, but in the multi window functionality that note offers. Nexus 6P is coming with ill famed SD 810, which is way behind the Exynos on the Note.

Agree with you Nexus updates are unmatched.

Very confused currently. Even contemplating switching to Iphone 6 Plus.

Last edited by F150 : 2nd October 2015 at 19:38.
Old 2nd October 2015, 20:02   #21914
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, its better idea to look for some real upgrade in terms of more smartness and long term usability instead of falling for specs war on papers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I am not interested in stylus, but in the multi window functionality that note offers. Nexus 6P is coming with ill famed SD 810, which is way behind the Exynos on the Note.
If you want to go for Samsung then go for only Note series otherwise skip Samsung. Combinations of size, stylus and multi-window support make the Note series phones different than rest, only if you really have use of them.

If you are looking for only multi window support then there are few apps available which you can install in any Android phone. I have used one such cool app which rather offers much more than just Multi-Window. Look at here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ing_info&hl=en

I have been long term fan of 'pure' Android and used to suggest Nexus devices to those who have budget for it. But these days I suggest 'Moto X' series phones before Nexus for the combination its offers:

1. Great hardware quality

2. Pure Android - very light on hardware resources.

3. Long term support for Android firmware upgrades which make Motorola phones at par with Nexus.

4. Nifty Moto features exclusively available on Moto X series. For eg. Moto Display. Offline voice commands with customization launch phrase which make the phone fully touchless. Automatic drive mode sensing. Double chop for torch. Twist wrist to quickly open the camera etc etc. These features make Moto X phones smarter than rest.

5. Top of the class network reception, calling quality, loudspeaker audio quality.

6. Facility of customizing the phone materials like leather or wood back, changing colors of some other parts etc. But available only in fewer countries. Though few pre-compiled variants are made available in India. And the quality of materials used has been really great. For example leather is really genuine leather which ages how a leather should, not like some cheap artificial material used on much more costly LG G4 which starts getting terrible with the age, especially the scratches make it look cheap. Look at here and here

This combo makes phones of 'X' series very special.

Recently launched Moto X Play is not a full fledged Moto X. Wait for Moto X 2015 Style (Pure Edition) if you are looking for a 'X' series phone or get the Moto X 2014 32GB which is available at very tempting discounted price)

One downside of MotoX 2014 and Nexus6 from technical point of view is that they are 32bit devices whereas 64 devices have started coming out now. But there is one advantage also that both the 2014 phones have much higher single core clock speed which makes them much quicker during usage pattern when only fewer cores are utilized by the system and apps.

If anyone really looking for upgrade then DO consider the Moto X series, search for what special features offers against others. Or else Nexus is no brainier.

Here is a very good video comparison between Nexus 6 and upcoming Moto X style:

Last edited by tbppjpr : 2nd October 2015 at 20:15.
Old 3rd October 2015, 09:43   #21915
BHPian

Sorry for back to back post, my editing time is over so posting this info in new post.

Here is official list of Motorola devices getting Android 6 Marshmallow update: http://motorola-blog.blogspot.in/201...smore.html?m=1
  • 2015 Moto X Pure Edition (3rd gen)
  • 2015 Moto X Style (3rd gen)
  • 2015 Moto X Play
  • 2015 Moto G (3rd gen)
  • 2014 Moto X Pure Edition in the US (2nd gen)
  • 2014 Moto X in Latin America, Europe and Asia2 (2nd gen)
  • 2014 Moto G and Moto G with 4G LTE2 (2nd gen)
  • DROID Turbo
  • 2014 Moto MAXX
  • 2014 Moto Turbo
  • Nexus 6

So the 2013 devices are out along with Moto E 2nd gen. Going by the previous record of Motorola, the updates should start rolling out on the flagship devices by the end of this month.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks