Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2016, 19:17   #23401
BHPian

Thanks all for your inputs ! I will try downloading and see if it works or not.
Old 3rd May 2016, 19:26   #23402
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Thanks for all your responses. I have gone ahead and placed the order, but I won't have it in my hands for a while, not until my brother-in-law finds a courier to carry it to India.
So I got the Nexus 5X after the long wait. The design is unimpressive, looks like a cheap Micromax. Shares some similarity with the Samsung Galaxy S2. Not very easy to hold, and the thick bezels on the top and bottom gives it a bulky feel. This is no phone to buy if you are looking for a small phone. It is only a bit smaller than my Oneplus One. But the software experience is excellent. Everything is fast and lag free. Camera is impressive though there is some shutter lag in low light. The fingerprint sensor is a boon and I find my finger at the right place every time I want to use it.

BTW, the Oneplus One finally got the Marshmallow update, and to my surprise it became faster and more fluid after the update.
Old 3rd May 2016, 19:47   #23403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
+1

@theexperthand

Is it the same AOSP rom that we were talking about in some earlier posts? If you're using it then how has been the experience? Any issues that you have faced? Is it better than MIUI rom and in what ways beside the stock android experience?
Hi LordVader,

No, this is not the AOSP ROM which is posted in the XDA thread (the one which we were discussing), but the official developer ROM released by Xiaomi. This ROMs gets the updated features prior to them making an appearance in the stable ROMs. These are almost stable, and gets weekly updates, while the stable ROMs usually gets monthly updates.

So, can't really say these are better than MIUI ROMs since these are also official MIUI ROMs, but the plus point is that, you will be able to try out many features before they are released to the stable ROM.

--Anoop
Old 3rd May 2016, 22:33   #23404
BHPian

Quote:
So I got the Nexus 5X after the long wait. The design is unimpressive, looks like a cheap Micromax. Shares some similarity with the Samsung Galaxy S2. Not very easy to hold, and the thick bezels on the top and bottom gives it a bulky feel. This is no phone to buy if you are looking for a small phone. It is only a bit smaller than my Oneplus One. But the software experience is excellent. Everything is fast and lag free. Camera is impressive though there is some shutter lag in low light. The fingerprint sensor is a boon and I find my finger at the right place every time I want to use it.

BTW, the Oneplus One finally got the Marshmallow update, and to my surprise it became faster and more fluid after the update.
Congrats sir! Please share your experience with battery life and USB-C charging. Also, if you don't like the look and feel of the device, check out the Skinnova and DBrand skins, or Spigen cases available for it. That's one perk of a Nexus- third-party accessory support is the very best among Androids.
Old 3rd May 2016, 22:39   #23405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Sai, Did you try downloading the package again? May be the package didn't download fully? If that didn't help, you can try flashing it using Mi PC Suite. Also, I hope you have made doubly sure that you selected the correct device and processor, before downloading the full ROM package.
Anoop when I download from the miui website, whether in my laptop or in my mobile, the size is shown as 1.07 GB. Is this why it's failing?

Last edited by ampere : 4th May 2016 at 07:49. Reason: Reduced quoted post
Old 3rd May 2016, 23:17   #23406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Hi LordVader,

No, this... stable ROM.

--Anoop
Ok, changed to the developer rom. I like the new UI of the MIUI explorer. The camera is also producing better images though yet to test fully.

Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Anoop when I download from the miui website, whether in my laptop or in my mobile, the size is shown as 1.07 GB. Is this why it's failing?
Might be, in my mobile its showing 1.15GB whereas website is 1.1GB. If possible, try to download using a download manager.
Old 3rd May 2016, 23:43   #23407
Distinguished - BHPian

I can hardly believe that there is no md5 checksum given for the roms on the MIUI site, but I just looked and there isn't. Even if most of the people skip it most of the time, it is a bit basic to be able to check that such a file has downloaded correctly.

Old 4th May 2016, 06:46   #23408
BHPian

So finally I was able to move to the developer rom in my redmi note 3. I tried downloading in my laptop using internet download manager. It showed 1.07 gb. Then I tried using Es download manager in my mobile. It also showed 1.07 gb. Finally I let google chrome to download in my mobile and it was 1.1gb. I was able to update successfully after that. Thanks all of you for your help
Old 4th May 2016, 15:45   #23409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
Congrats sir! Please share your experience with battery life and USB-C charging. Also, if you don't like the look and feel of the device, check out the Skinnova and DBrand skins, or Spigen cases available for it. That's one perk of a Nexus- third-party accessory support is the very best among Androids.
Battery life is ordinary, just lasts through the day.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-13139237_214662445583465_8232248716921799668_n.jpg

Charging is not noticably fast even though the screen reads "charging rapidly". I ran the Ampere app, and observed that the charging current varied between 200mA and 500mA. The type C charging port is going to be a pain. The cable is type C on both ends, so if you want to connect the phone to computer you are out of luck. Anyway I am going to invest in a couple of cables.

The bezel is killing me and every time i set sight on them, I want to take a machete and chop them off.

Lately I have taken a dislike for cases and screen guards and had kept the Oneplus naked. I will try using the nexus naked for some time before deciding on a case.

BTW, I can't help repeating how good the finger print sensor is. You just have to pick up the phone and the sensor is there at the natural position where the index finger is. No click, no swipe, the phone just unlock. Cool!

Anyway, this is by far the smoothest Android experience I have had, so am gonna keep it for some time.
Old 4th May 2016, 15:55   #23410
Team-BHP Support

Bought a 32gb Redmi Note-3 from Amazon. One more is sitting in my cart on the mi site (but that one is 16gb). Wondering what to do
Old 4th May 2016, 16:58   #23411
BHPian

Quote:
Battery life is ordinary, just lasts through the day.
Quote:
Charging is not noticably fast even though the screen reads "charging rapidly". I ran the Ampere app, and observed that the charging current varied between 200mA and 500mA. The type C charging port is going to be a pain. The cable is type C on both ends, so if you want to connect the phone to computer you are out of luck. Anyway I am going to invest in a couple of cables.
Ouch! Those are the kind of words I dread to hear. I was really looking at the 5X as my next phone, it being such a well-rounded experience in a small and not-too-costly package, but it seems due to the prices not falling all that mucb for the 32GB variant and reports like yours, seems I'll have to wait for a while and think again. The Moto G4 is set to come in later this month, and if it is around 15-16k with the waterproofing intact and a Snapdragon 650 on board, it would make a compelling case. Just hope Lenovo don't ruin that device to promote their own Vibe flagships that come in at a similar price (in fact that's what I've been fearing for a while now).
Quote:
Lately I have taken a dislike for cases and screen guards and had kept the Oneplus naked. I will try using the nexus naked for some time before deciding on a case.
Hate cases? This is just what the doctor ordered. The black carbon fiber with white Nexus logo and coloured 'X' is my personal favourite combination, but there are lots of textures, designs and colours to choose from. Improves the look and feel in the hand by miles, without affecting the design or sleekness of the device.
Quote:
Anyway, this is by far the smoothest Android experience I have had, so am gonna keep it for some time.
Now that's something I completely agree to, and that's the reason I keep looking at the Nexus again and again despite it being a tad costly and basically the Toyota Etios of high-end smartphones.
Old 5th May 2016, 08:54   #23412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Charging is not noticably fast even though the screen reads "charging rapidly".
Just check the rating of the charger you've got. You may have to buy a high wattage adapter to use the quick charge 3.0.
Old 5th May 2016, 09:16   #23413
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Ouch! Those are the kind of words I dread to hear. I was really looking at the 5X as my next phone, it being such a well-rounded experience in a small and not-too-costly package, but it seems due to the prices not falling all that mucb for the 32GB variant and reports like yours, seems I'll have to wait for a while and think again. The Moto G4 is set to come in later this month, and if it is around 15-16k with the waterproofing intact and a Snapdragon 650 on board, it would make a compelling case. Just hope Lenovo don't ruin that device to promote their own Vibe flagships that come in at a similar price (in fact that's what I've been fearing for a while now).

Have been using the Nexus 5X for nearly a month. Got it from Amazon at 27,990 for the 32GB.

Performance has been flawless. The phone hardly lags and everything runs butter smooth. Way better than the 3GB RAM One Plus X.

Issues so far:
- Battery life! Average at best. I can stretch it to one full day but it's tight. The One Plus X was better when it came to battery. Rapid charging charges the phone in a little under 90 minutes from full flat. You have to carry the LG charger and cable everywhere.
- I got a MTT type C cable from Amazon (Google certified 56K resistor) to use in the car. It's no point as it hardly charges the battery by 5-6% in a 30min drive.
- You get a micro USB to type C adapter in the box which means you can use one old charger and cable as a backup. I am using this with power bank.
- Anything other than Rapid charging using the supplied cable and charger is painfully slow to charge.
- Phone gets hot watching videos, or google maps or screen on. The most noticeable is the area around the fingerprint sensor which can get real warm.
- The outside plastic quality felt great when it was new. It had a rubberized feel to it. One week of usage and the back cover has gone shiny and worn out exactly where my fingers are in contact with the back cover. This is the carbon colour and I found this is a common complaint. I was shocked with this. Sadly I had to travel out of India and could not return it within the 10days Amazon return period. Amazon didn't have it in stock so said only refund is possible which meant no phone if I returned it.

Pros:
- Performance is top notch. Loving the stock Android as well as the slick minimalistic UI.
- Mindblowing Camera. The camera is simply brilliant. Haven't seen an android phone under 30K with such a brilliant camera.
- Finger print sensor is lightning quick.
Old 5th May 2016, 10:28   #23414
Senior - BHPian

Got the MAY security update for NOTE 5 today. The device continues to perform flawlessly, and the camera continues to be the highlight, replacing my SONY RX100 most of the times.
Old 5th May 2016, 11:45   #23415
BANNED

I saw an article on ZDnet against annual releases of Andriod.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-one-...tag=TRE17cfd61

Now that Android is a mature product there is some sense in this, esp since Mobile maker typically stop updates after two to (at most) three years. So one i forced to go to the independent platforms. Also, Marshmallow is on about 9% of the phones against 84% of the new iOS. So most users do not really care.

Most Viewed