Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2016, 21:32   #23236
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
Thanks friends again for all your suggestions. I am right now a little more inclined towards samsung or iphone. It is not that I think the Redmi and Nexus phones are not better for my purpose. But the said adult (my father) stays in another city. So in case there are any software/hardware issues, I would not be able to take the phone to the authorized repair center. Now my city has Samsung and Apple repair centers nearby. So that is the reason I am inclined towards these two.
Thanks guys for all those useful suggestions I finally went with a Samsung Galaxy S6 32gb for my dad. The reasons were the following.

1. Samsung repair center nearby to where he stays
2. A relative who uses another Samsung phone (Galaxy J7) who can help in initial setup and training
3. Easy mode in Samsung which makes all necessary changes for smartphone noobs at one click

The phone has been ordered from Amazon and should reach him by Thursday. I hope he should be up and running by the weekend.

In the meanwhile I have asked him to port his number from Vodafone to Airtel (as Airtel has better coverage pan India). And convert the normal sim to nano sim. So that he is ready when he gets the phone on Thursday
Old 11th April 2016, 22:02   #23237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
If the RAM is the only issue you have, go for the 5X hands down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Don't worry about the on paper specs, something which has been made popular by all the Android OEM or vendors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
Btw, even oneplus one should hold you in good stead for at least an year and maybe even more.
Thanks for all your responses. I have gone ahead and placed the order, but I won't have it in my hands for a while, not until my brother-in-law finds a courier to carry it to India.

This phone is more of a compromise for me, but I think I'd skip Samsung, LG etc as I don't like their UI. MIUI I like, but their SW update delivery is terrible. I hope I could live with the 16 gig (10 free). I know I would have to keep swapping out the 4K videos that I shoot, which is not many as per my experience with the Oneplus during the past year.

I seem to be changing phones every year, so who knows, I may buy another one before the 2GB RAM in the Nexus 5x becomes insufficient. And, BTW, I have come to see that, in my Oneplus, Chrome and Facebook eats more RAM than the OS itself. Lately these apps have become obese. I usually run my phones really lean, without themes, no widgets (except clock) and most of the bloat (Play apps except Maps, Gmail, Chrome) disabled. Hope it holds up for a year at least.

Once again, thanks for the help.
Old 11th April 2016, 22:22   #23238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Hope it holds up for a year at least.
Once again, thanks for the help.
Congrats on the 5X! And hold up for a year? It'll traverse a year in style! With the cutting edge of Android straight from Google, with the latest security updates, and Android N with all the awesomeness that it brings along, way before anything else! Make sure you have USB-C cable or adapter around or along with you all the time though. You don't wanna land in trouble, for everyone still uses micro-USB.
Old 11th April 2016, 22:32   #23239
BHPian

Guys please suggest a good Fuel Log app for Android.

I am looking at a straight-forward, simple and easy to use app with an option to calculate fuel expenses for multiple cars.
Old 11th April 2016, 22:39   #23240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post

I am looking at a straight-forward, simple and easy to use app with an option to calculate fuel expenses for multiple cars.
I am using Fuelio and it is very simple to use. It has option for recording data for multiple vehicles also.
Old 11th April 2016, 22:53   #23241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandary View Post
I am using Fuelio and it is very simple to use. It has option for recording data for multiple vehicles also.
+ 1 to Fuelio. Have been using it for 4 months and love it. You can also record other expenses like service, maintenance etc in addition to fuel data.
Old 11th April 2016, 23:01   #23242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post

i recommend fuelio app. I have been using it since very long time and quite happy with it's simple and effective UI. i did tried various other apps, before i settled in for this app. and it does support multiple vehicles and other expenses also.
Old 11th April 2016, 23:03   #23243
BHPian

Quick update on the S7.

It's been three full days. The camera is excellent. The clarity of the pictures in all sorts of light is mind blowing. The detail is really good.

Despite loading up my full complement of apps (about 40), no lagging issues. It's super snappy.

Battery life is excellent. I get a full day with about 4:30-5 hours of screen on time. So in essence, it's more than double what I used to get on the Note 4.

I've come to realize that 5.2 inches is the maximum screen size that's comfortable with one hand. I have a cover that I got thrown in with the phone that's nice and grippy and has a kickstand, which I actually find useful when my phone is on my desk.

All in all, I'm a happy camper.

Night time picture:

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1460395739926.jpg

Day time picture:

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1460395793667.jpg

Battery stats:

Today, mostly on 3G/4G:
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1460395816990.jpg

Day 2, only on 3G/4G:
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1460395964586.jpg
Old 12th April 2016, 13:27   #23244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandary View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
+ 1 to Fuelio. Have been using it for 4 months and love it. You can also record other expenses like service, maintenance etc in addition to fuel data.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
i recommend fuelio app. I have been using it since very long time and quite happy with it's simple and effective UI. i did tried various other apps, before i settled in for this app. and it does support multiple vehicles and other expenses also.
Thanks for the suggestions. I downloaded Fuelio app and it meets my requirements (simple to use, multiple cars, etc.) very well.

One small problem was with selecting a picture for your vehicles. The picture is shown inverted/90° rotated everytime. Any solution?
Old 12th April 2016, 13:43   #23245
BHPian

Samsung s7 niggles
- Managed to get a scratch on the screen from something in my pocket. Not a good sign for the gorilla glass 4.

- When using it in bright sunlight, the brightness is automatically cranked up but that also leads to much faster battery drain and a heating up of the phone.

- on Vodafone 4G, calls keep dropping and it's better to set it manually to 3G mode rather than depend on the fallback. Think this is a network issue rather than a handset issue.
Old 12th April 2016, 19:51   #23246
BHPian

Looking for a phone with 7000 budget. Is redmi 2 prime worth a buy even now?
Old 12th April 2016, 19:56   #23247
BHPian

@Sairamboko:
Depends on your usage. There are lot of options for that price.
Redmi 2 Prime is a great phone for basic usage even though competition may boast great specs. Another thing to take note is the availability of service center. I've still not seen Xiaomi partnering multiple brand service centers. Request others to correct me on this, if wrong.

Last edited by five46 : 12th April 2016 at 19:59.
Old 12th April 2016, 20:12   #23248
BHPian

I am a moderate user.Facebook, whatsapp, Quora,maps, music, 9gag, t bhp are my daily apps that i use. Any other better alternatives for redmi 2 prime?
Old 13th April 2016, 09:53   #23249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
I am a moderate user.Facebook, whatsapp, Quora,maps, music, 9gag, t bhp are my daily apps that i use. Any other better alternatives for redmi 2 prime?
having used redmi2 and moto e2, i suggest to go with moto e2, especially for lag-free experience. But, having said that, redmi2 UI (just look and feel) and camera may be better than moto e2. so, it all depends on your requirement.
Old 13th April 2016, 10:17   #23250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
I would suggest you take a look at InFocus Bingo 50. I am using this phone's predecessor M350 and the experience has been brilliant.

The phone comes with a great display and plenty of customizations. The 8MP front camera is too good.

This is same as the M350 with an extra 1GB RAM and Android 6.0

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/info...umbLabelId:175

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks