Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2016, 17:08   #23086
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

For the users of lower end Xiaomi Devices:
Here's a set of stable roms:
http://download.mokeedev.com/

I'm using their rom on my MI4i and it's great. Love the clean, simple UI and increased battery life.
Old 23rd March 2016, 17:45   #23087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You might wait forever, like the wait for the 32Gb-storage m4i: apparently there were a few, but they didn't work.
Yea, you might be right, there is no telling how long it might take. I am not in any hurry though, so I can afford to wait. I am waiting for Moto G/X launches for this year, as I have been happy with my experience with Moto devices. There are some concerns about the direction they will take under Lenovo, but I will give them a chance and see if this year's launches depart in any major way from their past designs. So it will probably be around June/July that i will finalize my purchase. Hopefully, Xiaomi will sort out their supply issues by then, but already I am getting a bit wary of them.
Old 23rd March 2016, 18:58   #23088
Distinguished - BHPian

I continue to be happy with my Moto X Play, but wonder if I wouldn't have felt even better if I had shelled out the extra for the higher model (Style?) which is said to come with a better camera. I am happy with the 5.5-inch screen to the extent that the 7-inch tablet now stands unused, But I still miss the sleek and slim feel of the 4mi except
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Only 2 GB / 16 GB version available as of now and should be sufficient as the newer miui versions use lesser ram.
Well, the RAM is probably sufficient, but the 16Gb storage is cramped.
Old 23rd March 2016, 19:03   #23089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, the RAM is probably sufficient, but the 16Gb storage is cramped.
As my son intends to use it with only a single cdma sim, the other slot can be used for expanding the memory through a micro sd card, so storage issue is a non starter.

A interesting video highlighting it's non mentioned screen/body strength -

Cheers...
Old 25th March 2016, 08:56   #23090
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I continue to be happy with my Moto X Play, but wonder if I wouldn't have felt even better if I had shelled out the extra for the higher model (Style?) which is said to come with a better camera
Actually the Moto X style and the Moto X Play have the exact same camera module/sensor. No change in camera hardware.

The biggest difference is in the Snapdragon chipset 615 vs 808 and the additional 1GB RAM.

The extra RAM is good but is offset with the Quad HD display. Pretty much any phone with Quad HD display needs 3GB RAM.
Old 25th March 2016, 13:00   #23091
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Actually the Moto X style and the Moto X Play have the exact same camera module/sensor. No change in camera hardware.
Oh, I thought I had seen better reviews for the Style camera. Anyway, nice to know I can forget that one!

6.0.1 (or should that be 6.1?) is available for the X Play now. I'm getting OTA messages to download and upgrade, but can not, as I have custom recovery and rooted rom with a few unwanted google "system" apps actually removed. It would be quite hard work to return to stock recovery and 6.0 ROM. I'm waiting until I can get a drop-in Indian-versian (Asia) TWRP-flashable rom and a day when I get the urge to do techie messing around
Old 25th March 2016, 13:20   #23092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Moto X Style offers phase detect auto-focus while the Moto X Play doesn't.

2. Moto X Style can also capture Full HD video at 60fps and 4K video at 30fps, both with and without HDR. The Moto X Play only has a dual LED colour balancing flash and lacks 4K video capture. It does, however, share the Style's night mode, along with auto HDR, panorama and burst modes, as well as slow-mo video.

3. Motorola has also fitted a front-facing flash into the Moto X Style to lighten the low-light shots. Notably, there is no front-facing flash on the Moto X Play.

Quote:
6.0.1 (or should that be 6.1?) is available for the X Play now.
No 6.0.1 update for Moto X Style as of now.
Old 25th March 2016, 14:03   #23093
BHPian

Quote:
Guys check the Lenovo Vibe K5 Plus launched today on Flipkart. It looks to be a very decent phone for those who don't want the bulky 5.5". Specs:

- 5.0" 1080P display
- Snapdragon 616 Octa core. This is a slight updated processor vs the 615 in the much more expensive Moto X play and Moto G Turbo.
- Metal body
- 2GB DDR3 RAM
- User replaceable battery!

All that for Rs.8,499. Sounds really decent for a phone of that specs. Most importantly it's size is perfect at 5.0".
I missed to book that.
Actually I was waiting for I Phone SE's price. But was disappointed with the projection / speculation going around INR 39K in India, even though its only $399 in US.
Hence started to search again for a new one to graduate from my existing 2.5 year old Sony Xperia M.
Understand, there is a second session on 30th. Hope I will be able to get this time.

Regards,
Maverick79.
Old 25th March 2016, 14:07   #23094
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post

2. Moto X Style can also capture Full HD video at 60fps and 4K video at 30fps, both with and without HDR. The Moto X Play only has a dual LED colour balancing flash and lacks 4K video capture. It does, however, share the Style's night mode, along with auto HDR, panorama and burst modes, as well as slow-mo video.

3. Motorola has also fitted a front-facing flash into the Moto X Style to lighten the low-light shots. Notably, there is no front-facing flash on the Moto X Play.
Thank you for the detailed comparison. I do not use video very much, and am, as yet, slow to catch up with the selfie craze.

If I remember rightly, the step up to the Style was something like 17K to 25K, and the higher price was simply not possible for me. Even 17K was/is considerably more than I had ever thought of spending on a phone, and there was a big financial temptation to simply replace the Mi 4i which would have cost much less.
Old 25th March 2016, 14:51   #23095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post

No 6.0.1 update for Moto X Style as of now.

Actually, the company had clarified later that Moto X Play does have phase detect autofocus. It is also listed in the specifications on their official website. The Style does have a better ISP and i read somewhere that PDAF works better on it, so the results will probably be better. But I don't know how much better and if it would be worth the additional cost.
Old 25th March 2016, 15:32   #23096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
After upgrading to Marshmallow, does the K3 delete any user data or is everything in place as is, after the update? Pls comment guys

Updated my K3 Note to Marshmallow few days back and I am impressed. The update in itself was a big surprise since it was expected only later this year. So many improvements. The phone feels faster and sprightly, battery back up better , RAM management is also really good now as in apps don't unnecessarily hog RAM. It's like the phone got that much needed remap. Lenovo has given slight updates and enhancements to their UI as well. Makes it all the more pleasing. Kudos to Lenovo !!

PS: Adobe reader and Book my show app I had on the phone was missing after the update. Reinstalled and everything is fine.

Last edited by aswin ajith : 25th March 2016 at 15:36.
Old 25th March 2016, 16:30   #23097
BHPian

Guys/ Experts,

Just saw the reviews on Lenevo Vibe K5 pluse. Seems the battery is pretty disappointing. Also, people are mentioning about high/ quick heating problem.

Now back to Square 1. Pls help me in finding a phone with the below specs in order of preference.

1. Screen : Not more than 5"
2. Batter Back up : At least 24 hrs.
3. RAM: Min 2 GB.
4. Processor: Min 1.4 GHz.
5. Less heating.
6. Budget : Not more than INR 15 K.

Not willing to risk with RedMi, Coolpad, etc and other Chinese makes.

Thanks in advance.
Maverick79.
Old 25th March 2016, 16:32   #23098
BHPian

EU MIUI ROM (unofficial multi language) without root possible?

All custom ROM gurus, I have few questions for you.

Hello. I am new to MIUI and custom ROMS in general. I currently have mi4c and have Official Chinese Stable ROM (MIUI7.2).

I have zero experience with custom ROM. However, I have heard great deal about EU MIUI ROMs (and SMIUI ROMs). I am particularly interested in EU MIUI because my phone does not have a Stable Global ROM (only Chinese Stable) . I do not want to venture into Developer ROMs as I don't need it (and I am not feeling adventurous).

My questions are:
1. Without rooting my phone, can I install EU Multi MIUI Stable (MULTI 6.3.24) from this page ROMs DOWNLOADS page where it's mentioned " DOWNLOAD STABLE (W/O ROOT, NO WEEKLY UPDATES)" ?
2. If I install the the EU Multi MIUI Stable ROM, can I go back to Official MIUI Chinese Stable ROM?
3. Will warranty be void in this process?

Thanks a lot for your response
Old 25th March 2016, 16:43   #23099
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post

5. Less heating.
I would be looking at answers to your query. In December '15 [was using a Nexus 5] and earlier, I precisely had the same requirement wrt size of the phone and to some extent in the battery department as well [to last from morning till I am back home]

What I fail to understand is, the mobile manufacturers should realize that not everyone wants to buy a large phone. a 4.5 inch phone [with good hardware] is perfect for your every use and will fit in your pocket without fuss.

I got an iPhone 5S then [am not suggesting this] and pretty happy with the size.
Old 25th March 2016, 16:56   #23100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post

Now back to Square 1. Pls help me in finding a phone with the below specs in order of preference.

5. Less heating.

Not willing to risk with RedMi, Coolpad, etc and other Chinese makes.

Thanks in advance.
Maverick79.

Do take a look at the OnePlus X. You will have to up your budget by 2k, but it does meet most of your requirements, and it looks really good

Most Viewed