Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2016, 11:28   #23011
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I am still missing mi!
Wow, you make me feel that my phone is cluttered!
Wow ! A look at the notifications line on the top gave me a feeling !
Why are those many things running on the left side of the bar ?

Another thing, that my brother says (I don't have any scientific reasoning) is that having many shortcuts and widgets on the home screens will eat up a lot of battery.
He follows "geekyranjit" youtube channel a lot, and apparently the guy said that the less number of shortcuts and widgets, the lesser battery consumption.
Got something to do with keeping the referencing to the original executable always on, which eats up battery.

Am not saying anything about the iPhone layout because they are installed app icons, not shortcuts from another location.
Old 14th March 2016, 14:12   #23012
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
This is one habit I carried forward from my PC - even in my Desktop and laptop, you will not see any icons on the home page - the only thing on my home screen is the task bar.
Same on my PC: my wallpaper is just the wallpaper; not a single icon. There is a narrow information-carrying panel at the top, and two hidden slide-out panels for actually doing stuff.

My physical desktop, by contrast, is a completely chaotic mess!

Quote:
One of the apps I can't live without is Zedge - I get truck loads of good quality wallpapers and I use Zedge to keep them changing every hour
I keep the same wallpaper for years!

Quote:
That is an interesting approach, but some how, I do not like the look of Folders on Android.

Now, if I can customize the icons of folders and choose a simple one instead of a fruit salad of the icons of all the individual programs inside it, then it is worth considering. I hope it will not surprise you the fact that I love the bauhaus school of design and like things clutter free
I think I chose the simplest option offerred by Nova Launcher. Further customisation to a single icon, or even a custom image, would be nice. Also, folders in folders would be great.

Quote:
Ah, reminds me that it's been ages since I have attended a carnatic concert.
Literally, if it were not for carnatic music I would not even be here! I have stay-at-home phases, and I am far from being an every-night rasika, but I probably average a couple of concerts a week, over a whole year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Wow ! A look at the notifications line on the top gave me a feeling !
Why are those many things running on the left side of the bar ?
If I had cleared the notifications before the screen shot, there would probably have been fewer. Permanently, there would be Ampere, net up/down speed... Sometimes I switch things on, sometimes off!
Quote:
Another thing, that my brother says (I don't have any scientific reasoning) is that having many shortcuts and widgets on the home screens will eat up a lot of battery.
Widgets, maybe, because they represent something running and being updated. Icons. folders, I doubt. It reminds me of the people who think they are using up "memory" on a Windows PC just because they have a lot of programmes installed.
Quote:
He follows "geekyranjit" Youtube channel a lot, and apparently the guy said that the less number of shortcuts and widgets, the lesser battery consumption.
Got something to do with keeping the referencing to the original executable always on, which eats up battery.
The X Play, with Marshmallow, has pretty good battery life. Greenify extends it. I started looking at the settings in Amplify, and then thought, Wait a minute, I don't actually have a problem with battery life! I should start worrying about it only if and when I do! Sometimes one can overdo the geek factor!

Old 14th March 2016, 14:24   #23013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The X Play, with Marshmallow, has pretty good battery life. Greenify extends it..
You see, the perennial problem with battery consumption lies there.

We install too many apps to monitor too many things, which in turn eats up memory as well , Continuous Life Cycle.

If battery is good, on a MotoX Play, what is the need of Greenify ?
And does it really matter what exactly is the kb or mb or gb / sec upload / download speed on a mobile ? I assume it is not the primary device to browse the internet ?
Old 14th March 2016, 14:36   #23014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Literally, if it were not for carnatic music I would not even be here! I have stay-at-home phases, and I am far from being an every-night rasika, but I probably average a couple of concerts a week, over a whole year.
for this.

Quote:

If battery is good, on a MotoX Play, what is the need of Greenify ?
And does it really matter what exactly is the kb or mb or gb / sec upload / download speed on a mobile ? I assume it is not the primary device to browse the internet ?
Yes, I agree with too much monitoring - I had all kinds of monitoring and troubleshooting apps on my earlier android devices, but later realized that too much of anything is not really good.

OTOH, greenify is a very useful app, not only for extending the battery life, but for managing the memory also.

--Anoop
Old 14th March 2016, 15:39   #23015
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We install too many apps to monitor too many things, which in turn eats up memory as well , Continuous Life Cycle.
As theexperthand says, one can indeed have too much of a good thing!

I like to use the net speed thing for those is anything actually happening times.

I like that Greenify makes the phone doze immediately. I don't go much deeper into its settings.

Otherwise, I think that all my tweaks are appearance tweaks, rather than performance. That. As I mentioned earlier, is an end in itself that I just enjoy doing.

(ps... I think you mean vicious circle)
Old 14th March 2016, 16:02   #23016
Senior - BHPian

I just received a 2nd Gen Moto E which I ordered from Amazon for my wife. Had to download an update as soon as I set it up. My wife uses a Note 3 as her primary phone and was using a 1st Gen Moto E as a secondary phone. I took this phone for myself as my secondary phone (Mi3) is awaiting a SIM tray or something. I just realised that the 1st Gen Moto E needed to be upgraded to Lollipop. To do that I had to un-install a few Apps.
Old 14th March 2016, 17:30   #23017
BHPian

Hi guys,
I had been previously using a samsung Note 2. It died on me due to serious liquid damage.
I am contemplating buying Redmi Note 3 in the flash sale on 16th March.

Worth going for?
Old 15th March 2016, 10:40   #23018
BHPian

Play Store Not Working : MI3

Have just noticed that the play store app on my MI3 is not working.

Getting the error " Error While retrieving information from server DF-DFERH-01.

Did anyone face similar issues ?

Web solutions does not appear to work. Any help will be appreciated
Old 15th March 2016, 12:49   #23019
BHPian

Been using the Moto X Style last 3 days, thoroughly enjoying what it offers. Really amazing phone and great step-up from Note2. Camera quality(F&R) phenomenal. Apps are opening like a flash. I'm a heavy user, but battery lasts 12 hours with full time 4G on.

I've a doubt here, Phone runs on Marshmellow 6.0 only. Isn't should be upgraded to 6.0.1 right? Please comment.
Old 15th March 2016, 13:08   #23020
Team-BHP Support

I was happy with my Moto X 2nd Gen and really didn't want to buy a phone anytime soon. Sadly fate had other plans. The phone was pickpocketed in a crowded restaurant.

Now I need a replacement phone but as is the case there's confusion. I have a few options.

1. Just get the best Android currently in the market i.e. Nexus 6P. All set for next 2 years as I change phones only in 2 years. Only problem is September will see the new lineup of Nexus from HTC as well as Motorola which will tempt me.

2. Get a burner phone for a few months till the new range of Motos and Nexus is announced and pick that up towards year end. Options are Moto G3 or see if there's a discount on Moto X play by next week.

I liked the Moto X style but somehow the size didn't appeal to me. The Nexus 6P even though it was bigger, felt better to hold and looked cooler. The Moto X used to struggle to last the whole day and looking at reviews of the X style it's actually lower than the X2 because of the larger Quad HD display which is an LCD and not OLED like Moto X2.

Nexus 6P is tempting if the sale price from last week of 32-33 is back on.
Old 15th March 2016, 13:52   #23021
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Now I need a replacement phone but as is the case there's confusion. I have a few options.
You can probably look at the upcoming LG G5 as well!
Old 15th March 2016, 14:16   #23022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Play Store Not Working : MI3

Have just noticed that the play store app on my MI3 is not working.

Getting the error " Error While retrieving information from server DF-DFERH-01.

Did anyone face similar issues ?

Web solutions does not appear to work. Any help will be appreciated
Working fine for me. My MI3 is running on the following versions

Android Version: 4.4.4 KTU84P
MIUI Version: MIUI 7 Global 5.12.10|Beta
Old 15th March 2016, 16:04   #23023
BHPian

Quote:
1. Just get the best Android currently in the market i.e. Nexus 6P. All set for next 2 years as I change phones only in 2 years. Only problem is September will see the new lineup of Nexus from HTC as well as Motorola which will tempt me.

2. Get a burner phone for a few months till the new range of Motos and Nexus is announced and pick that up towards year end. Options are Moto G3 or see if there's a discount on Moto X play by next week.

I liked the Moto X style but somehow the size didn't appeal to me. The Nexus 6P even though it was bigger, felt better to hold and looked cooler. The Moto X used to struggle to last the whole day and looking at reviews of the X style it's actually lower than the X2 because of the larger Quad HD display which is an LCD and not OLED like Moto X2.

Nexus 6P is tempting if the sale price from last week of 32-33 is back on.
My suggestion would be to buy a good burner phone to last you an year at least. If you are into rooting n stuff, then nexus 5 would be a good option. With custom roms, you'll have enough time to evaluate the options and new version of android.

If battery back up and storage of nexus 5 is a concern, then I'd suggest Moto G3, cheap, stock android and fairly good specs. Nothing out of the world, but should keep you fine. Though you might end up buying higher spec phone earlier than you'd have in option 1.

And another alternative could be, try something different and go for a Xiaomi phone or a One plus one or two. Depends on how comfortable are you with non-stock android. One plus one or two may be slightly expensive but have pretty solid specs. If budget permits, then definitely give one plus one or two a dekko.

Last edited by lordvader : 15th March 2016 at 16:09.
Old 15th March 2016, 16:15   #23024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your phone.

I purchased Moto G3 (2GB/16GB variant) in the Flipkart sale last week at 2k discount (1k flat discount + 10%discount on SBI cards).

It is amazing value for money, especially for the 9k price I paid.

- The 5 inch HD display is the perfect size for a casual user with medium sized hands.
- 2GB RAM ensures fast performance even while multitasking (not talking about heavy games, just the usual apps).
- Camera quality is good (for the price). In fact, it uses the same sensor as Nexus 6.
- Build quality is solid, phone is water & dust proof

Only con I noticed is that it comes with a non-user replaceable battery. Also battery capacity (theoretical) and battery backup (in real life) is not the best, compared to other recently launched phones in that price segment.

Battery backup has suffered after Android M update, which is surprising because my wife's Android One phone's battery backup actually improved after (the second) Android M update.

Moto G3 also does not support fast charging. If this is important for you, you may opt for the turbo edition. I didn't opt for turbo edition because of lot of negative reviews complaining about heating issues and further lower battery backup (than the normal Moto G3).

Other phones to consider in this price range would be Xiaomi Redmi Note 3, Huawei Honor 5X, Huawei Honor Holly 2, Asus Zenfone Max, Asus Zenfone2 Laser, Lenovo K4 Note, Lenovo P1 and P1m etc.

Hope that helps.

Rohan
Old 15th March 2016, 19:34   #23025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Sorry to hear about your phone.

I purchased Moto G3 (2GB/16GB variant) in the Flipkart sale last week at 2k discount (1k flat discount + 10%discount on SBI cards).
Rohan
And not to forget the dual charger plug that comes along with it. So you can charge two phones at one time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks