Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2016, 11:13   #22951
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Yesterday, I got a maintenance update on my MotoX Style, only about 6MB. Done, smooth installation took about 10-15 min.
I also got it couple of days ago.

Smooth installation as you said.

I think (not sure), now I have approx 500 mb more free space in phone memory after this installation.
Old 27th February 2016, 12:22   #22952
Senior - BHPian

Guys, what would be the better phone between moto G3 or Samsung J5 or the A5? Moto G3 is the cheapest of the lot and offers decent performance, but my only concern is the heating issue and servicing hassles. Samsung on the other hand offers to be a safer bet but does seem expensive when the real performance seems fairly similar. It's just for office emails and whatsapp so nothing great in terms of expectations. I'm coming back to android after 5 years, so really apprehensive of everyday hassles since my earlier experience with a Sony Ericsson was a harrowing one. In any case my primary phone is an iPhone 6, so just expecting ease of use in emails from this android device. Any advice would be helpful.
Old 27th February 2016, 12:55   #22953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Moto G3 is the cheapest of the lot and offers decent performance, but my only concern is the heating issue and servicing hassles.
Even am looking at Moto G Turbo, but worried about the heating issue which has been raised by many users.

Has there been any updates and fixes for the same from Motorola?
Could they address this issue in subsequent updates OR is it something which can NOT be fixed and one has to live with it?
Old 27th February 2016, 13:23   #22954
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
I hope this applies to all recent Android Devices? I have been doing exactly the opposite all this time! The xda developers Moto G group on Facebook suggested me that the more you plug in, the less battery life you get. They advised me to charge to 100%, use the full charge and then charge it again.

Thanks a lot.

Neel
There is so much information and misinformation on batteries and their usage. My current understanding is that, although our modern batteries do not suffer the "memory effect" (but you'll meet people who think they do), there is still a finite number of times that the battery can be charged. That, to me, indicates that the battery will last longer in real time with larger intervals between the charging.

However, in practice, it all seems, for me, to work out at once a day, whatever. With the combination of the X Play's battery, Marshmallow's doze (+ Greenify) and turbo charge (which I have both in the house and in the car) I can extend that some.

Heating issues. When does heating become an issue? My wife's Samsung runs cool; my X play does not. Yes, I'd rather the phone was not warm, especially when it is against my face, but it never gets so warm for me to describe it as an issue. Other people's mileage, and preferences may certainly differ, especially as we all use our phone's differently.
Old 27th February 2016, 13:59   #22955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Even am looking at Moto G Turbo, but worried about the heating issue which has been raised by many users.

Has there been any updates and fixes for the same from Motorola?

Could they address this issue in subsequent updates OR is it something which can NOT be fixed and one has to live with it?

Based on the reviews I read moto G3 actually seems to be better than the turbo version in terms of battery performance. I think I'm going to go with the moto G3 for now since the price is too compelling.
Old 27th February 2016, 14:35   #22956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.nair View Post
Oh, That's something i took for granted being Chinese. But my perception too is changing with field reports like the one which you have shared. . I'll wait for the redmi launch.
I have a friend who's been using mi3 for 3 years and he's really happy. He has all the latest updates and UI is very good (compared to lollipop in my personal opinion)
In fact I moved to Mi4c after using moto g and moto x for 3 years and am really happy.
Heard from another 3 colleagues that redmi 2 prime is hell of a device for its price.
Old 27th February 2016, 16:44   #22957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
I have a friend who's been using mi3 for 3 years and he's really happy. He has all the latest updates and UI is very good (compared to lollipop in my personal opinion)
In fact I moved to Mi4c after using moto g and moto x for 3 years and am really happy.
Heard from another 3 colleagues that redmi 2 prime is hell of a device for its price.
MI3 for 3 years? But then the device was released only 2 years ago!
Old 27th February 2016, 16:52   #22958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
I hope this applies to all recent Android Devices? I have been doing exactly the opposite all this time! The xda developers Moto G group on Facebook suggested me that the more you plug in, the less battery life you get. They advised me to charge to 100%, use the full charge and then charge it again.

Thanks a lot.

Neel
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
I do, and the update (5.0) has made it all but unusable, finally revered it to 4.4 (Stock) and disabled updates. Its up and running fine now.

O.T

This is what my Nexus 6P says about the battery charging habits.
This is really really surprising. Almost everyone I know whose battery lasts long, charges them rarely. Infact, I almost never charge my iPhone 6 battery till it reaches below 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
mi4c? It never released in India or did you buy it from china / aliexpress etc?
Old 29th February 2016, 09:52   #22959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Moto G and Moto G turbo are the best bets for you. Moto G turbo has fast charging and a better chipset. You won't go wrong with both and this phone runs the latest android M.
Quote:
Based on the reviews I read moto G3 actually seems to be better than the turbo version in terms of battery performance. I think I'm going to go with the moto G3 for now since the price is too compelling.
The price difference is less than 2K.

How is it that battery performance better in G3 than Turbo?
Is it coz of higher clock speed on Turbo?

Both seems to have similar sized battery. The only grouse about G models, is the RAM. They should have upped the same to 3GB, at the least on Turbo.
Old 29th February 2016, 10:16   #22960
BHPian

Whatsapp celebrated its 7th anniversary a few days back and also announced withdrawal support for a few platforms. Check out the below link for details.

http://androidcommunity.com/whatsapp...-7-1-20160228/

I think most of the affected users would be from the Blackberry community compared to the other two.
Old 1st March 2016, 10:27   #22961
BHPian

The Moto G Turbo is available at around 11K in amazon for next few days. I am holding back coz of the heating issues of SD 615.

I am not into gaming OR other graphic intensive apps.
So, does the heating issue occur even on normal usage?
Old 1st March 2016, 13:41   #22962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
The Moto G Turbo is available at around 11K in amazon for next few days. I am holding back coz of the heating issues of SD 615.

I am not into gaming OR other graphic intensive apps.
So, does the heating issue occur even on normal usage?
I have a Moto X play & the phone does heat up when you use some processor intensive apps. It gets extremely hot & you can't put it on your ears.

Happens when:
1. You charge and use simultaneously.
2. You use Snapchat or other camera related apps for a long time.
3. You play certain games
4. When 3G/4G is being used & you've been browsing continuously for a long time.

The extreme heating happens only when you charge & use it at the same time. It is annoying but, livable. Also, it drains battery like crazy when it heats up.
Old 2nd March 2016, 14:14   #22963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
mi4c? It never released in India or did you buy it from china / aliexpress etc?
Yes. Xiaomi did not release Mi4c in India. So, I bought it from AliExpress. It was a first experience for me. But, all went well. The phone works well and battery lasts 24+ hours with 3G / WiFi full on, video for about 30 days, etc.
Old 2nd March 2016, 20:40   #22964
BHPian

Mod note: Posts merged. Back to back post, use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Slightly OT: Anyone having a Nexus 7 2012 tablet here? Can anyone recommend a Kitkat based ROM for it?
Using the stock lollipop on it, but cyanogenmod 12/13 would be better

Quote:
Guys, what would be the better phone between moto G3 or Samsung J5 or the A5?
Either of the Samsungs are better as they are relatively future proof with LTE support

Apologies for multiple posts, on the app - mods please merge

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd March 2016 at 20:51. Reason: Back to back post, use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.
Old 3rd March 2016, 08:43   #22965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post

Either of the Samsungs are better as they are relatively future proof with LTE support
The Moto also supports 4G LTE,

Also, it will most probably get the Android N update when it comes out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks