Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2016, 10:09   #22831
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What budget are you exactly looking at?
Not that I'm really constrained but I basically want a fast backup phone to the iPhone for my personal calls. So my primary need is stability / speed and good call quality and a fingerprint sensor

I'm solidly biased towards MI4i but being a firm believer in "no replacement for displacement" I'm willing to pony upto 15k for a phone with 3GB RAM - the reason being that the amazing MI4 comes within that price so I don't see a reason to pay more than that!

The mention of used was simply that you can test out a used Coolpad phone in person (complete with all the apps).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Bought a Coolpad Note 3 for an elderly person in our home. His earlier phone was Lumia 520. Except the contacts and media, transferring sms/whatsapp chats was such a nightmare. Being a lite user, there wasn't much of whatsapp chats/sms, so eventually asked him to start afresh.

Fingerprint recognition works like a charm, no fiddling with buttons to unlock. You can selectively lock apps also. Did not much like the stock launcher - MIUI kind interface so installed the Google Now launcher and it feels much better.

Initial impressions of camera - looks good in good light, average in low/poor light. Front cam is great for the price paid. Though I doubt the user would put it to that demanding 'selfie' use anytime soon. But good for a skype call.

The rubberized back is great to hold and makes sure you don't slip the phone accidentally.

Screen is big, but the low resolution (720p on 5.5") will be kinda apparent at some places if you are used to 1080p screens. Or maybe its just a placebo effect.

The bundled earphone are positively cheap! But when the owner is satisfied, I can't complain.

Overall, it is a budget phone with a few key differentiators.

I plan to sell his old phone on reGlobe who are offering a buyback of ~1500. Let's see what they offer upfront. My landed price would come out to ~5.5k (Had a Amazon card 2k balance), and for that money it is a great phone!

PS - Hope it lasts the distance too.
Thanks for sharing. Surprised about the problems in moving your data. Please keep us posted about any lags that you may observe or hear about.

Last edited by phamilyman : 11th February 2016 at 10:21.
Old 11th February 2016, 11:30   #22832
BHPian

Any App to Backup MI3 and the downloaded app data

Hi Guys,

Need your guidance.

Problem : My MI3 is giving me issues. Whenever it is on "silent" mode with or without vibration mode enabled, it generates a "sparking sound" and the LED Flickers when a call is received. Sparking sound is similar to when we touch two electrical wires. This happened after the latest update to 7.1.1

Trust is is a hardware issue, but not sure though.

Before making any attempt to reconfigure the phone, I would like to backup all my data.

Contacts have been transferred to vcf file.

Photos backed up to laptop.

I need to backup all my apps. Mainly Sygic and Here Maps. I have a bunch of "offline" state maps linked to both the apps. And I dont want to download them again when I tweak the phone. Is there any app which can "backup all apps and the associated offline downloaded data of the apps"

Reason being, if MI3 conks off and if I move to another android phone, I should get all the data back to the new phone, without any downloads

Any guidance is highly appreciated
Old 11th February 2016, 14:24   #22833
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Rooting a Motorola is quite straightforward I would say. Wasn't that big a deal for me as some websites claim it to be. There were absolutely zero issues. Just make sure that you are patient enough and follow the steps carefully and not brick the device.
I'm going for it. I have my unlock code from Motorola (which means bye-bye warranty even if I don't actually use it!) and will flash TWRP and then root either today or tomorrow.

I plan to keep the stock rom, but experiment with Xposed Framework.

Quote:
Bought a Coolpad Note 3 for an elderly person in our home. His earlier phone was Lumia 520. Except the contacts and media, transferring sms/whatsapp chats was such a nightmare. ...
Whatsapp should be easy, because you can backup to your Google account, so the backup/restore should be platform-independent.

My wife likes to keep her history, and was shocked to find that she could not transfer sms from a Lumia [to Android] she had used for a few months. She has vowed never to use a Windows phone ever again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman
I'm solidly biased towards MI4i but being a firm believer in "no replacement for displacement" I'm willing to pony upto 15k for a phone with 3GB RAM - the reason being that the amazing MI4 comes within that price so I don't see a reason to pay more than that!
Mi4i: loved it... size, look, feel, touch, everything (except MIUI launcher, but that is easily fixed) and still sad that the flood water took it from me after just a few months.

Loved everything about it except the only-16Gb internal memory and the no expansion card. You will feel cramped for space! This is not a phone to carry your music/movie collection around on.

The look and feel is enhanced by the manufacturer Mi smart flip case. If you do go for the 4mi, I can pop a new, unused case in the post to you. I liked it so much I bought a spare! Which makes it even more sad to have lost the phone.
Old 11th February 2016, 15:49   #22834
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Whatsapp should be easy, because you can backup to your Google account, so the backup/restore should be platform-independent.

My wife likes to keep her history, and was shocked to find that she could not transfer sms from a Lumia [to Android] she had used for a few months. She has vowed never to use a Windows phone ever again!
Whatsapp app on the windows phone did not offer this option. I tried to manually copy all the DB files over to the android in the hope of Whatsapp detecting these files and restoring them, but alas - it was a no-go.

I use a MAC and it was a headache to get these things done. Eventually had to copy-paste stuff on my work machine. I was shocked to learn, there is no 'file manager' thing on a Windows phone. I confess, I didn't dig any deeper but on the face of it, it was all too disheartening!

Trying to transfer messages was another can of worms. After going through a few blogs on the same topic, called it a day and requested him to start afresh - not worth the time it will need.

Lesson learnt, on the new Android, first things I did, was setup sync for
- contacts to a new gmail account
- photos to google photos
- whatsapp to google drive
- app data backup to google drive
- sms to google drive (via sms backup and restore app)

Also installed the OneDrive app for all his older photos/documents/notes to be available on the new phone.
Old 11th February 2016, 16:06   #22835
Team-BHP Support

Whatsapp's FAQ clearly mentions one cannot move messages between different OSes, esp. to or from Windows Phone.

Quote:
You cannot restore the chat history from any other phone type to Windows Phone, or from Windows Phone to another phone type.
Old 11th February 2016, 20:58   #22836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Got my Le 1S delivered today. Initial impression is that it has got a premium look, quite fast like iPh6S, fingerprint sensor is great, and photos look ok but not great.
Congrats !
How about the heating problem ? Is it unbearable or manageable ?

Honor 5X is a good alternative. My friend has been using 4X, which is very stable. Both the Camera's are good. And 5X has better internals with Qualcomm 616 Soc. Better management of RAM just like iPhone's.

PS: Thanks @ampere for editing..

Last edited by jaaz : 11th February 2016 at 21:08. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 11th February 2016, 21:40   #22837
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wrong, wrong, Wrong!

Quote:
Whatsapp app on the windows phone did not offer this option. I tried to manually copy all the DB files over to the android in the hope of Whatsapp detecting these files and restoring them, but alas - it was a no-go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Whatsapp's FAQ clearly mentions one cannot move messages between different OSes, esp. to or from Windows Phone.
OK, thanks for correcting me on that.
Old 11th February 2016, 22:04   #22838
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally got on to the 4G Network with Vodafone Launching 4G in Bangalore. I am on a Nexus 6 on Vodafone. Until now Vodafone did not have a 4G network and the Nexus 6 did not support the 2300Mhz band that Airtel was offering its 4G services on.

Network is spotty as of now. As per the Executive at the store, all of Bangalore would be covered by March.

I guess it is the same with other areas like Kerala, Mysore, NCR, Kolkota, Mumbai where Vodafone has launched the 4G networks
Old 12th February 2016, 13:33   #22839
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm going for it. I have my unlock code from Motorola (which means bye-bye warranty even if I don't actually use it!) and will flash TWRP and then root either today or tomorrow.

I plan to keep the stock rom, but experiment with Xposed Framework.
Moto X Play unlocked, TWRP installed and rooted. All done with the Linux fastboot command, except...

I downloaded the up-to-date Android toolkit, which was a complete waste of time and bandwidth, because my system is 32-bit, and Google is now only offerring this for 64-bit Linux.

Apparently one can create a UDEV rule to make it unnecessary, but the fastboot commands have to be sudo-ed (should that be sudone? ).

Nova launcher did a great job of restoring my home pages and folders from its backup. Super Backup Pro restored all the apps plus the contacts, sms, etc. I took screenshots of all the setup pages, and soon had the look and feel just as it had been a few hours earlier.

I have two nandroid backups. One before rooting, and another, now, before I flash/install Xposed, which is the main reason for wanting to root. Oh, Adaway is good too.

This techie stuff is all good fun, as long as there are not too many headbanging blind alleys along the way, which there were not. I took it slowly (I know how easily I can screw things up with a typo), and tested where-ever possible before committing (eg fastboot boot TWRP; check system runs from there before flashing). It took me about 4 hours including backups and the post-unlock/root setup and configuration. Did not succeed in getting to bed before my wife's 4am alarm went off. The unlock/TWRP/root part of the job could be done in a few minutes.

It is a pity that the bootloader unlock wipes the phone, especially when one is not going to install a different rom
Old 12th February 2016, 15:39   #22840
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
OK, thanks for correcting me on that......
It's not straightforward even on the same OS (though I may be the dunce here). I had trouble moving my chat history from my Galaxy S3 to Moto G3 when I switched a few months ago. The restore would error out after 'processing' for a couple mins. I'm not much of a social butterfly so I just let it be after a few tries. Others may want to be more careful.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th February 2016 at 15:40.
Old 13th February 2016, 00:31   #22841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Any App to Backup MI3 and the downloaded app data

Any guidance is highly appreciated
Titanium backup should help you if you are using a rooted phone.
Old 14th February 2016, 01:20   #22842
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Moto X Play unlocked, TWRP installed and rooted ... ... ...
I installed Xposed Framework, and have been playing with a few modules. I had no idea this thing was so big: the Xposed repository has over 800 items! Some are version specific, some are model specific. Marshmallow is still new and people are catching up: must be patient and wait and hope for some of the goodies out there.

Small things please small minds, and I can be deliriously delighted at stuff like making one small thing the right colour!

One module allows the more fully-featured shutdown menu, rather than simply powering off. I now have the option to reboot, system or recovery. The first time I tried it to boot to recovery, I got a nasty shock. I'm glad to say that the message Factory reset... was completely erroneous!

But, even if the bug had been doing that, rather than just saying that it was, it would have only put me back a couple of days, as the Moto Bootloader unlock does just that.
Old 14th February 2016, 09:04   #22843
BANNED

Upgradd my wife's Moto G (2) last night. Checked for the upgrade, downloaded (about 425MB) and installed it. Uber smooth.
Old 14th February 2016, 12:46   #22844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Upgradd my wife's Moto G (2) last night. Checked for the upgrade, downloaded (about 425MB) and installed it. Uber smooth.
Sir, Android Lollipop on Moto G2 ? If yes, then please let me know if any bugs.

I want to install the same on my fathers Moto G 2, just want the update to be bug free.
Old 14th February 2016, 13:10   #22845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Sir, Android Lollipop on Moto G2 ? If yes, then please let me know if any bugs.

I want to install the same on my fathers Moto G 2, just want the update to be bug free.
I think you meant Marshmallow?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks