Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2016, 15:15   #24451
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
I too use the Jio and Airtel. But, I always use Jio for data for the following reasons.
[list][*]Free for the first 3 months. Even after that, I'll get 4 GB data at around 542 per month + taxes...
But Vodafone already gives 3G at 147 with 1GB. Flexible, incase you don't use much in any particular month. And with JIOs' 4G speeds, that package will end faster. (And btw, whichever the carrier, it's all 28days, viz 13 annual billing cycles)

In Jio, night 'free' usage is between 2-5am IIRC. And as you say, if you schedule a download, they'll possibly throttle it down.

Most importantly, no interference with throttling or watching over what the user browsed or where user is (to push ads). Whereas, in Jio, even the voice is thru the internet, so whatif they'll be able to decrypt the data using AI. "Anonymous collection of data-points..." is abit hard to believe. Businesses won't work with privacy concerns & may mandate employees not to use/keep a JIO connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
...Add to that i am not a fan of the rear Finger print sensor albeit i have never used one yet....

Hope i am able to place an order in the flash sale today.
Neither was I. Until I recently bought a Redmi Note 3 for my mum. It's REALLY nice to have. Unlocking is seamless.

I was able to book a Redmi 3S Prime (Grey, 32GB) this afternoon very easily thru the Mi Store. Did you manage to get one ?

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 14th September 2016 at 15:23.
Old 14th September 2016, 15:34   #24452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
But Vodafone already gives 3G at 147 with 1GB. Flexible, incase you don't use much in any particular month. And with JIOs' 4G speeds, that package will end faster. (And btw, whichever the carrier, it's all 28days, viz 13 annual billing cycles)
28 days correction is already accounted. That's why I mentioned 542 per month instead of 499/28 days

Moreover, my monthly bills hover around 600-800 per month normally ( Calls and Data included ). This is after a lot of optimization that I have done analyzing the bills every 3 months. It was in the range of 1000 - 1500 earlier.

With Jio, if the calls can be reliable, I can still continue paying that bill or lesser and have a better experience at the same time ( by having more data, better quality calls ( Jio to Jio ) and 4g everywhere )

Moreover, even if what I need is a smaller plan, I can opt for the 162 / month plan and take an additional 1 GB data for another 162 / month. So that means for a total of 324 per month, I get
  • 1.3 GB of internet
  • Free local and STD calls
  • Free SMS
  • Free Roaming

Quote:
In Jio, night 'free' usage is between 2-5am IIRC. And as you say, if you schedule a download, they'll possibly throttle it down.
The night plans doesn't add any sort of value for me. So, that's not the reason why I opted for the Jio. And with regards to throttling, all my heavy downloads like OS, movies etc are handled by Home Wifi. With mobile 4g, my expectation is that I should be able to work properly whereever I am and for that the Jio serves really good. I should also thank the throttling that they do for the kind of dependable connection that they are giving. One user will not be able to misuse the whole bandwidth hence giving a good experience for a user whenever he needs it.

Quote:
Whereas, in Jio, even the voice is thru the internet, so whatif they'll be able to decrypt the data using AI. "Anonymous collection of data-points..." is abit hard to believe. Businesses won't work with privacy concerns & may mandate employees not to use/keep a JIO connection.

Am I missing something ?
In India, if we start looking at it this way, there is no stop. You can just add a few harddisks in between and get all the call recorded. An i3 processor with 4 GB RAM can handle > 100 simultaneous recordings. So, if someone wants to do it, it's very easy to do it even without the digital data because, once the voice is recorded in digital format, Machine learning can take over. And you don't need to invest 1 lakh crores for getting this done on a typical analog call system as well.

We have done several tests all over the country with regards to data latency and network coverage. The biggest problem is that there is no single Network which is good in every state.

for eg:- Idea is the best in Kerala
Airtel is the best in Karnataka
Vodafone is the best in Mumbai

With Reliance, they have the advantage of having control over Band 5 in 16 states! If they use it judiciously, they can have the best pan India coverage of mobile signals.

Last edited by amalji : 14th September 2016 at 15:43.
Old 14th September 2016, 18:13   #24453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Good you opted to go for the 3GB version! :
Quote:
I was able to book a Redmi 3S Prime (Grey, 32GB) this afternoon very easily thru the Mi Store. Did you manage to get one ?
I completely forgot about the Mi Store
I logged into Flipkart at around 11:45 and was all set. Clicked on the 'Buy Now' button at 12, was directed to the payment page. Not sure what happened there, got a message saying the phone was out off stock . This happens even after me successfully adding the phone into the cart.
Highly disappointed !!
Old 14th September 2016, 20:48   #24454
BHPian

Was able to order the Redmi 3s today for my dad.
Few queries, if someone could answer them:

Does the phone support Screen Mirroring?
And secondly, is it fully compatible with the 4G network of Reliance Jio?

TIA.

Quote:
I logged into Flipkart at around 11:45 and was all set.
Highly disappointed !!
Hi! Next time please try ordering via the Flipkart mobile app. Even I was unsuccessful when I tried ordering through laptop but surprisingly my order went through when i fired up the app!

Mi store experience was worse than Flipkart. They kept me in queue for a couple of minutes and later said to come next week (though in a polite way)
Old 14th September 2016, 21:14   #24455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most importantly, no interference with throttling or watching over what the user browsed or where user is (to push ads). Whereas, in Jio, even the voice is thru the internet, so whatif they'll be able to decrypt the data using AI. "Anonymous collection of data-points..." is abit hard to believe. Businesses won't work with privacy concerns & may mandate employees not to use/keep a JIO connection.
Hello,

Being a VoLTE solution architect, i can assure you that there is no security concern or bandwidth issue with VoLTE.

There is a separate APN for ims. Bandwidth for calls is reserved in advance before speech is established, so there is no question of sharing of same bandwidth as Internet/Data.

Also please refer to IMS-AKA security algorithm (using IPSEC and preshared keys): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMS_se...y_Agreement.29

Moreover, 4G internet charging is also separate from VoLTE charging, so your VoLTE calls (over 4G data) don't count in the overall Internet data limit.

Last edited by manson : 22nd September 2016 at 19:08. Reason: Formatted post.
Old 14th September 2016, 22:37   #24456
Senior - BHPian

Does 4G use up more data ? As in when using 4G speeds do you get the uncompressed versions of websites, files and apps ? I switched to 4G at the end of last month and this month within a week I ended up using 50% of my monthly allowance (500mb or 1GB). My usage was pretty much the same and I didnt get excited by the fast speed and use it more than normal. Do voice calls on 4g networs use up some of the data on Vodaphone ? After getting the message I switched to 3g manually on the phone and since then have barely used 100mb in the week since then with my normal usage pattern. Previously I have never come close to using up my data allowance so Im a bit confused
Old 15th September 2016, 00:05   #24457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Until I recently bought a Redmi Note 3 for my mum. It's REALLY nice to have. Unlocking is seamless...
I think I spoke too soon!

The Redmi Note 3 I bought has a defect! Everytime I play a video, the phone hangs and goes blank, while the audio still plays. At such time the keys including the volume & Power Keys don't always work! After about a minute, the power key started working & I restarted the phone.

I'd gotten a glimpse of this defect yesterday, but it hadn't happened for a while after restart.

The phone has barely been used & wasn't touched by any elements. I've managed to take a few videos while it happened.

I have a Mi3 since 2+ years and its worked pretty well till date. Even my Mi Pad works well except the cheap speakers that Xiaomi have used crackle the sound horribly.

Anyway I'll have to take time out & visit the ASC tomorrow. The Xiaomi website says "10-Day Replacement" etc. with disclaimers. Hope they replace immediately because I'm planning to travel next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
28 days correction is already accounted. That's why I mentioned 542 per month instead of 499/28 days
for eg:- Idea is the best in Kerala
Airtel is the best in Karnataka
Vodafone is the best in Mumbai

With Reliance, they have the advantage of having control over Band 5 in 16 states! If they use it judiciously, they can have the best pan India coverage of mobile signals.
Thats quite an assessment you've made there!

Some people choose BSNL Unlimited 3G plan for ~1k/month. But ofcourse, its not going to be consistent across 16 states like Jio might be.

Quote:
I completely forgot about the Mi Store
... Not sure what happened there, got a message saying the phone was out off stock . This happens even after me successfully adding the phone into the cart.
Highly disappointed !!
Don't be!

Btw, do you want a 32GB Grey Redmi 3S Prime ? On seeing your post this evening I asked them if I could redirect it to a friends house. Its anyway a CoD. I guess they should reply tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
...Being a VoLTE solution architect, i can assure you that there is no security concern or bandwidth issue with VoLTE...

Also please refer to IMS-AKA security algorithm (using IPSEC and preshared keys)...
Very informative! I'll study the link!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Does 4G use up more data ? As in when using 4G speeds do you get the uncompressed versions of websites, files and apps ?...
No, I guess it only uses up data at a faster rate. Most mobile web page sizes should be just the same, whether 3G or 4G.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 15th September 2016 at 00:09.
Old 15th September 2016, 00:40   #24458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Does 4G use up more data ? As in when using 4G speeds do you get the uncompressed versions of websites, files and apps ? Im a bit confused
Websites wouldn't make any difference. However, one thing to watch out for is video streaming. If you're watching video on say, Youtube, the app chooses the video bitrate according to your network speed/bandwidth available. So that effectively downloads the same video using more data albeit you get a clearer print.

For example, if you have 3g speeds like about 2mbps and watch a particular video of a song which might download at something like 480p resolution given your bandwidth, it will end up using about 50-60 mb. Now if you watch that same video at 4g-ish speeds of about 10mbps it might upgrade the video resolution to say, 720p or 1080p and end up using somewhere around 150-200 mb. That makes a difference.

Now there are tweaks which you can do upto a point to keep this in check. But left to default, this is somewhat how it works out. Hope this helps.
Old 15th September 2016, 09:23   #24459
Senior - BHPian

With so many mobiles available these days, buying one is slowly becoming a nightmare. You don't want to end up buying one and regretting it later. So what to do, get help. And where else to go but the forum which is a minefield when it comes to information. I will be buying a mobile in the first week of October and hence need suggestions from the experts here.

Presently own an Asus Zenfone 5 with 2 GB RAM, 8 GB ROM, 5in screen, 2150 mAH battery, supports OTG, allows expandable memory. Served me well for 3 years with only once having to go to service centre. But needed continuous charging, clearing chats to free RAM. Max opened 3-4 apps at a time.

Looking for a phone upto 12k budget (reimbursable by office upto 7K). Shortlisted candidates are:
1) Asus Zenfone 2 laser
2) Lenovo Vibe K4 note
3) Moto G (4th gen)
4) Xiaomi Redmi Note 3
5) Asus zenfone Max

Outside contenders are:
1) Moto G plus
2) Xiaomi Mi Max.

Requirements:
1) Atleast 3GB RAM, 32 GB ROM, expandable upto min 64 GB
2) Good battery atleast 3000 mAH.
3) Should support OTG.
4) Unforced apps by default

Please let me know what should I go for??
Old 15th September 2016, 10:26   #24460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Looking for a phone upto 12k budget (reimbursable by office upto 7K). Shortlisted candidates are:
1) Asus Zenfone 2 laser
2) Lenovo Vibe K4 note
3) Moto G (4th gen)
4) Xiaomi Redmi Note 3
5) Asus zenfone Max

Outside contenders are:
1) Moto G plus
2) Xiaomi Mi Max.
Redmi note 3 or moto g4. If stock android is all you need then moto g4 should suffice. Redmi note 3 is easy to root but switching between miui and stock is a pain unless its officially unlocked.

Other than that, camera is sub par for redmi note 3 and going by the feedback moto g4 scores here. I'm using Redmi note 3 with a cyanogenmod rom and it works perfectly.

Last edited by manson : 22nd September 2016 at 19:13. Reason: Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
Old 15th September 2016, 10:39   #24461
BHPian

JIO experts please help!

I am facing a rather weird situation with JIO in my home town. In a nutshell, on some 4G phones JIO works pretty much hassle free while others have trouble, especially with VoLTE and network coverage.

So far, I have faced this issue on a Redmi Note 3 and a Coolpad Note 3. On both these phones, network coverage is very much low, especially indoors. VoLTE works once in a while only. However, the same SIM on an iPhone 6 and a LeEco Le2 works flawlessly with decent network coverage indoors also. At the same time, Idea 4G has similar coverage on all the above said phones I was wondering if it has something to do with the band being used by JIO in our area.

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 15th September 2016 at 10:42.
Old 15th September 2016, 11:48   #24462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
JIO experts please help!

I am facing a rather weird situation with JIO in my home town. In a nutshell, on some 4G phones JIO works pretty much hassle free while others have trouble, especially with VoLTE and network coverage.

So far, I have faced this issue on a Redmi Note 3 and a Coolpad Note 3. On both these phones, network coverage is very much low, especially indoors. VoLTE works once in a while only. However, the same SIM on an iPhone 6 and a LeEco Le2 works flawlessly with decent network coverage indoors also.
  • Leeco LE2 and iPhone 6 are 100% compatible with all Jio Bands.
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 is also supposed to be 100% compatible. You would want to show it to a Xiaomi service center and see whether the phone is actually switching to alternate bands or not.
  • Coolpad Note 3 supports only one of the Jio bands and hence range will be low on it.
Old 15th September 2016, 15:31   #24463
BHPian

Quote:
Don't be!
Btw, do you want a 32GB Grey Redmi 3S Prime ? On seeing your post this evening I asked them if I could redirect it to a friends house. Its anyway a CoD. I guess they should reply tomorrow.
That's really very kind of you . I am in no hurry though. I ll try again next week. Besides i would be opting for the Gold color. It was my first hand experience in a Flash sale. The disappointment was more to do with the fact that i was expecting a rather seamless process
Old 15th September 2016, 15:39   #24464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Xiaomi Mi Max.

Please let me know what should I go for??
Mi Max - the battery itself will make you happy. Been using it for more than a month now and no worries - and the battery life makes me smile everyday.
Old 15th September 2016, 15:47   #24465
BHPian

Quote:
For an average user who is not into gaming, does Redmi 3s 16gb variant at 7k make more sense ? Any feedback on the RAM management would help. How heavy is MIUI ? Do apps reload whilst switching ? With just 2gb RAM on board does performance and multitasking deteriorate over time ?
Bought Redmi Note 3 for my spouse - nice phone overall. 3s has a lower variant screen which bugged me the most (720p). Also I am not a fan of MIUI, some of common things like to check the battery usage are rather hard to reach. Great battery life though. Most feedback suggests it gets slower over time - good for a year though.

Word on OnePlus X : Its been now over 9 months (bought exactly on 1st Jan) - like the phone a lot, though feel that the battery is getting weaker. Still looks and feels like a phone of atleast twice its cost. I wish OnePlus had another variant of this with enhancements (fingerprint, battery, audio and camera). Also Oxygen OS is a seriously good example of enhancing the Android experience.

I am looking at OP3 as my next phone most likely, though don't like the silver grey back. Does most things right except the battery and audio.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 15th September 2016 at 15:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks