Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2016, 10:38   #24316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Any phone other like the Redmi Note 3? It checks most of my needs -

1. Big Battery - 4000mah
2. Adequate Memory - 3 gigs (more is welcome)
3. Adequate Storage - 32 gigs (more is welcome)
4. Dual SIM - Added bonus

I just picked one up for my mom and seems pretty decent so far, especially considering the price. I would have considered picking one up for myself too, but the camera is sub par for me. Need something with RN3 like specs but with a better camera, I can bump up the budget a bit too.
I'm considering the Moto G4+ 32GB, only grouse is the smaller battery but it does look like it manages to get through a full day with one charge.

I'm only not too happy with the camera output, bench marking it against the iPhone5S which I will be letting go.

Any recommendations for the phones with camera quality that can at least meet the 5S cam ?
Old 22nd August 2016, 10:48   #24317
BHPian

Quote:
I'm only not too happy with the camera output, bench marking it against the iPhone5S which I will be letting go.

Any recommendations for the phones with camera quality that can at least meet the 5S cam ?
You can try the Lenovo Vibe Shot if you're ok with 5 inch screen estate. It was a camera oriented handset. Hardware is one generation earlier spec but I think its not bad for what it costs even in todays date.
Old 22nd August 2016, 11:29   #24318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm considering the Moto G4+ 32GB, only grouse is the smaller battery but it does look like it manages to get through a full day with one charge.

Motos are never known to give the best of cameras. But, G4 is one of the better ones from Moto. Regardless, The manual mode ( professional mode as per motorola ) on the Moto G4 plus will help you get very good images if you know, how to use it.

Check out a few sample photos taken with g4 plus here - http://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_moto_...blog-18261.php

It's pretty decent.

Last edited by amalji : 22nd August 2016 at 11:34.
Old 22nd August 2016, 11:56   #24319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Motos are never known to give the best of cameras. But, G4 is one of the better ones from Moto. Regardless, The manual mode ( professional mode as per motorola ) on the Moto G4 plus will help you get very good images if you know, how to use it.

Check out a few sample photos taken with g4 plus here - http://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_moto_...blog-18261.php

It's pretty decent.
Tell me about the Moto cams, I have a 4.5 year old Moto Photon 4G. Even when I got it back then, the cam quality was sub-par the equivalent Galaxy S2.

My issue is that I need to get rid of the Photon and have to let go of my 5S(workphone). Need something that has is dual active SIM, lasts at least a full day without charging and meets the cam of the 5S.

Of course at this limited buget, I can't be too choosy. The G4+ seems to tick most boxes.
Old 22nd August 2016, 13:12   #24320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tell me about the Moto cams, I have a 4.5 year old Moto Photon 4G. Even when I got it back then, the cam quality was sub-par the equivalent Galaxy S2.

My issue is that I need to get rid of the Photon and have to let go of my 5S(workphone). Need something that has is dual active SIM, lasts at least a full day without charging and meets the cam of the 5S.

Of course at this limited buget, I can't be too choosy. The G4+ seems to tick most boxes.
I'm not the best person to judge a camera quality. Camera quality expectations are pretty relative depending on the person. Also, for the best shots, I always have my Sony Nex-5k camera with a DSLR sensor.

But, rarely do I feel that I need to take the DSLR out for a normal outdoor shot when I have the G4 ( not the plus which has an even better camera ) with me.
Indoor is just ok is what I feel. But, check out the images taken using moto g4 plus in the link that I shared earlier. It's pretty decent. If that's adequate for you, you can stick with the G4 plus.
Old 22nd August 2016, 13:24   #24321
Distinguished - BHPian

Couple of queries from a first time Chromecast user

1. If i'm using the Chromecast and mirroring videos from Youtube from phone and if I pause or switch to TV mode. Will I need to restart Chromecast all over again? Asking since that takes a few minutes to load up completely

2. Can I project the local videos/pictures on my iphone?

Thanks in advance for your responses
Old 22nd August 2016, 13:54   #24322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

1. If i'm using the Chromecast and mirroring videos from Youtube from phone and if I pause or switch to TV mode. Will I need to restart Chromecast all over again? Asking since that takes a few minutes to load up completely
Having used similar devices ( but not chromecast exactly ), it will not have to be restarted. The chromecast gets on when it is supplied with power and the HDMI port just acts like a display output to TV. So, regardless of which channel you are watching, it shouldn't be resetting itself.

Quote:

Not sure about this part. Given up on iPhone long back.
Old 22nd August 2016, 14:58   #24323
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Samsung S5 on flipkart.

Pros:
Outstanding amoled screen
Awesome camera
SD card slot
Water & dust resistant body shell
2800 Mah battery makes it through the day
Charging time for 0-100% ranges between 90-120 minutes varying with on/off & use/idle
Samsung's relatively better after sales service

Cons:
Samsung bloatware
Lack of 4G connectivity
16 GB internal memory
Negligible or zero future OS updates
Single sim
Charging flap can be a irritating to swap open / shut
Relatively old hardware may have negligible or rather zero future OS improvements after the recent Marshmallow 6.0 update.

Issues I've faced in the last 10 days
Faulty USB cable
A handful of call drops each day in no specific manner

Last edited by manson : 22nd August 2016 at 15:00.
Old 22nd August 2016, 16:35   #24324
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Having used similar devices ( but not chromecast exactly ), it will not have to be restarted. The chromecast gets on when it is supplied with power and the HDMI port just acts like a display output to TV. So, regardless of which channel you are watching, it shouldn't be resetting itself
Thanks! For some reason it was getting stuck when I pause or move to TV and back needing a restart

Will check the settings where I might find a solution
Old 22nd August 2016, 17:26   #24325
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! For some reason it was getting stuck when I pause or move to TV and back needing a restart

Will check the settings where I might find a solution
It will need to restart. The moment you switch hdmi inputs, the chromecast goes into standby mode.
Old 23rd August 2016, 08:04   #24326
BHPian

Got the latest security update and other bug fixes and improvements for my S7. This update is now rolling for S7 and S7edge and note5. I am surprised that Samsung is updating the premium devices regularly.

Edit : S7 and S7edge gets a price cut

http://m.timesofindia.com/tech/tech-...m_campaign=TOI
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1471919555947.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1471919571567.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1471919581227.jpg  

Last edited by sairamboko : 23rd August 2016 at 08:32.
Old 23rd August 2016, 09:11   #24327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Got the latest security update and other bug fixes and improvements for my S7. This update is now rolling for S7 and S7edge and note5. I am surprised that Samsung is updating the premium devices regularly.

Edit : S7 and S7edge gets a price cut

http://m.timesofindia.com/tech/tech-...m_campaign=TOI
The S7 gets an OTA on the 23rd of every month. Just downloaded it. I don't like the new gallery app. It's hideous.
Old 23rd August 2016, 09:55   #24328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. No need to restart chromecast. If the app is forced from background memory by the phone, then there is a lag of few seconds, before it gets picked up.

2. Yes, FS or ES (i dont remember which) file browser can do that along with its chromecast extension. mkv formats may not play the sound, other formats works fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Got the latest security update and other bug fixes and improvements for my S7. T
Very good. what is your opinion about the S7 as a daily use phone? Any negatives?
Old 23rd August 2016, 10:02   #24329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Very good. what is your opinion about the S7 as a daily use phone? Any negatives?
The s7 is good for my daily use. It lasts a day easily and sometimes more depending on my usage. With the recent price cuts, s7 edge looks lucrative! Please let me know if you have any other specific questions.
Old 23rd August 2016, 10:08   #24330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need something that has is dual active SIM, lasts at least a full day without charging and meets the cam of the 5S.
Hi Praful,

Do consider the One Plus 3. Superb camera, day long battery life with superfast quick charger, and a lot of other top of the line features including SD820 processor and 6GB RAM. I am using this as my daily driver and am very happy with the product. I find the camera to be better than the 5S and at par with the 6S.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks