Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2016, 09:59   #24181
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
On my X Play... as far as I know, it does not. But all that is necessary to wake the phone is to pick it up and slide one of the icons on what i think it called the ambient display: the monochrome clock/notification screen which comes on when you pick the phone up.
This is feature is called doze, or moto Doze. It uses proximity sensor to wake the device. Moto phones had it since lolipop. I believe its integrated in to android from marshmallow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
So, wake by touch is sort-of there already, but not wake by tap.
Double tap to wake the screen available in many custom kernel/roms. It actually consumes lot more battery because touch function of the display needs to be kept on! Though the feature available in CM, I disable it because of battery drain.
Old 3rd August 2016, 10:14   #24182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
This is feature is called doze, or moto Doze. It uses proximity sensor to wake the device. Moto phones had it since lolipop. I believe its integrated in to android from marshmallow.
The feature in question is called Active Display(now Moto display).

Doze is a feature developed by Google, not Motorola, and introduced in Marshmallow. It lets the phone go into a deep sleep mode when its sitting idle. (and hence the 'doze' name)
Old 3rd August 2016, 11:36   #24183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
The feature in question is called Active Display(now Moto display).
You mean Ambient Display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Doze is a feature developed by Google, not Motorola, and introduced in Marshmallow. It lets the phone go into a deep sleep mode when its sitting idle. (and hence the 'doze' name)
I stand corrected. Doze and Ambient Display are two different features. Ambient Display is what Thad rightly described. Doze is what you described. Ambient Display needs h/w (proximity sensor+gyro?), however Doze is built into Marshmallow.
Old 3rd August 2016, 14:04   #24184
Senior - BHPian

Since we talking about 'wake on tap/ touch', I would like to ask if there is a good app which can do this for my Samsung Note 10.1 tablet, whose power button has become less responsive for more than a year.
I really need to press it hard for the screen to turn on.
I tried a few of the 'tap to wake' type of apps from playstore, but none were useful.

Tablet is rooted but on stock ROM.
Old 3rd August 2016, 14:36   #24185
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, doze is built in to Marshmallow.

Even though battery life is not really an issue for me as my usage is light, I still enjoy seening how much I can get, and not having to put the phone on charge every night. I get even more "mileage" out of my phone using the Greenify app, which greatly increases the dozing time of the phone.
Old 3rd August 2016, 16:01   #24186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Since we talking about 'wake on tap/ touch', I would like to ask if there is a good app which can do this for my Samsung Note 10.1 tablet, whose power button has become less responsive for more than a year.
Tablet is rooted but on stock ROM.
Not sure if it can be done via app. Its has to enabled via Kernel. Since its is already unlocked(?) and rooted, is there a issue to use custom rom, like CM (which supports this feature in Cm 13)?

Coming to doze, customer kernel like Franco extends the doze timing even further! I am getting two days battery with full time 3G on in Nexus 6!

Last edited by RaguHolla : 3rd August 2016 at 16:03.
Old 3rd August 2016, 17:59   #24187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
You mean Ambient Display.
No, I mean Active display.

Ambient Display is what Google called it when they incorporated the Moto like feature into the Android OS. Was introduced with Lollipop.

Check this for more details.
Old 3rd August 2016, 19:31   #24188
Team-BHP Support

Blackberry has just shared that Blackberry Hub will now be available for Android M, I am using PRIV and find it useful to see everything at one place.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We’re excited to announce today that we’re taking some of the best that BlackBerry has to offer, and making it available to more than one billion people worldwide.

Just as we injected the hardened security of BlackBerry 10 into the secure Android platform running on PRIV and the coming DTEK50, we’re bringing the super productivity suite known as BlackBerry Hub+ from BlackBerry 10 to, not just PRIV (see right) or our coming DTEK50 smartphone, but ALL Android M(arshmallow) smartphones.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2016/08/...her-platforms/
Old 3rd August 2016, 19:35   #24189

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
Nexus 6P 32GB listed for 21899, looks like a good deal. But I'm really not sure ...
Yes, I was pleasantly surprised with the condition of the phone I got the first time. As good as new.

I have been fortunate enough to not have any issues warranting a return or claim warranty.

The first device (Redmi 1s) is more than a year old and the latest (OPO) is only a week old. Fingers crossed.
Old 3rd August 2016, 22:28   #24190
Senior - BHPian

My significant others Oneplus X got wet during a trek on Sunday and is not working. The service centre said that both screen and motherboard need to be replaced and it will cost 17k so that doesnt make sense.
What is a good option for a replacement phone between 10-15k ? 5.5inch screen or lower preferred. OneplusX only available in new for 22.5k ceramic edition, the normal edition is available for 14.5k but refurbished only. Is that an ok option or would someone suggest the Redmi note 3, Zuk Z1 or something else ?
Old 3rd August 2016, 23:07   #24191
Senior - BHPian

Any pointers on Samsung Note 7?
Old 3rd August 2016, 23:15   #24192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
What is a good option for a replacement phone between 10-15k ? 5.5inch screen or lower preferred. OneplusX only available in new for 22.5k ceramic edition, the normal edition is available for 14.5k but refurbished only. Is that an ok option or would someone suggest the Redmi note 3, Zuk Z1 or something else ?
Moto X Play should be good for you at about 16k. Else the new moto4 plus also would be within 15k and serve you likethe opx or better
Old 4th August 2016, 05:51   #24193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
My significant others Oneplus X got wet during a trek on Sunday and is not working. The service centre said that both screen and motherboard need to be replaced and it will cost 17k so that doesnt make sense.
G4+ or RN3. I have the latter and its a big compromise in a few areas (speaker / camera). Otherwise, outstanding phone.
http://freerider.in/blog/three-month...-redmi-note-3/ captures my experience. I've pasted the post here.

I love the RN3 except the fact that it runs Android, its crappy speaker output (easy to miss calls if ringer <100%) and the outright horrible camera. Day and night difference vs my (now screwed) iPhone.
That said, its battery (with two SIMs and crappy airtel nw) is just 20% (30%?) better than my iPhone which ran on 3G. the iPhone 6 easily lasts a day. RN3 lasts almost as much but with two SIMs and the problem that it keeps latching on to 4G even in “Prefer 3G mode”.
What I love in MIUI?
a. 15 activities that don’t need an app! http://en.miui.com/thread-306352-1-1.html
b. Fine grained multi tasking control for longer battery life
c. Call recording
d. Deep permission control esp for data usage
e. Brilliant themes
f. Brilliant messaging app (separate real SMS from notifications, copy OTP, message 4 recently dialed nos etc).
A note about supposedly high memory consumption on MIUI?
How does the free RAM matter to you unless its a low number like 10-20 MB? Android is now better at memory management and takes care of closing apps automatically.
As long as the phone is responsive esp for multitasking, you should be happy, instead of worrying about academic data that beyond a minimum threshold has little bearing on your user experience. Is your phone responsive in opening new apps or switching between them? If so, then chill!
My RN3 has 500-800 MB of 3GB free at any time (16%-23%). But it flies and multi-tasking is a joy. That’s all that matters to me now.

While I love MIUI, there are a few issues too:
a. Inability to read SMSes / mark them read from the notifications itself.
b. TINY height of notification icons. on a 1080p screen they are small. As if someone forgot to scale them from 720p or so. Stupid mistake but I am living with it.
c. Needing to use two fingers (on a heavy as hell 5.5″ phone) to expand notification unlike on AOSP where just swiping the said notification down is enough. This is painful. Earlier I would “skim” news by simply reading the 3-4 line notifications. Not on MIUI.
Other weird stuff that has never happened before:
a. On a recent conference call I had to passively listen for ~10+ minutes. Getting bored, I opened a browser window to pass time. In the interim, the “InCallUI” which displays the active call, died. Hence I could not multi task back into the call. My only option was to open the True Phone dialer app which at least showed a call in progress and allowed me to disconnect it.Outright embarrassing.

Last edited by phamilyman : 4th August 2016 at 06:11.
Old 4th August 2016, 10:07   #24194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Any pointers on Samsung Note 7?
looks less notish and more edgy :P

i'm waiting for v20 and the new nexus lines ups to decide on a flagship phone
Old 4th August 2016, 19:47   #24195
BHPian

S7 users need your help. I am getting a battery backup of only 14 to 15 hours. I have done a factory reset and also changed all the settings advised in many of the forums. Am I missing anything?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks