Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2016, 19:42   #24271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

What is the best dual-sim dialer out there? I used to use True phone but of late it has gone absolutely bonkers misreporting which SIM it is using. See the proof:
Stock
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-dialer1.jpg
vs True Phone
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-dialer2.jpg

Ironically it had worked just fine in an earlier phone and even now, till I put both Airtel SIMs into the phone. Earlier it had always worked fine with two different networks' SIM cards.

Last edited by phamilyman : 14th August 2016 at 19:46.
Old 14th August 2016, 19:55   #24272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Classic AMOLED display issue..! Only visible to very sharp eyes.The tint can be pinkish or greenish or yellowish depending on how you look at it. If your mobile does not have any other issue, better ignore and carry on. There is a high chance that your replacement phone will be worse. There are several threads on this in forums like XDA. The root cause lies somewhere in the AMOLED panel manufacturing process where the panels are saturated with light. Most manufacturers using AMOLED panels refuse to recognise this as a issue.My Galaxy S7 had this issue. Decided to live with that since other wise the phone was doing good. Now my brain barely make a notice of it.
Yes I learned that AMOLED panels seem to have this issue sometimes. But once I noticed it, I can't unsee it. If I don't get a good replacement, I will go for some other phone with LCD display. But I can't ignore it.
Old 14th August 2016, 22:01   #24273
BHPian

My OnePlus X has developed sudden battery drain issues. With my regular usage, battery used to last 48 hours for the past 4 months. However, from day before yesterday onwards, its lasting only 14-15 hours!
Battery settings show that OnePlus Operating System Service is the culprit. I haven't played around with any settings of late.
What can I do to set my battery right?
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1471192299127.jpg  

Old 15th August 2016, 00:15   #24274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
My OnePlus X has developed sudden battery drain issues. With my regular usage, battery used to last 48 hours for the past 4 months. However, from day before yesterday onwards, its lasting only 14-15 hours!
Battery settings show that OnePlus Operating System Service is the culprit. I haven't played around with any settings of late.
If oneplus operating system service is the culprit everytime then a simple factory reset for oxygen os ought to resolve the battery drain issues.
Old 15th August 2016, 08:22   #24275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Restart your phone and it should be fine. The service gets hung once in 4-5 months and causes this problem (I am on One Plus x). Sometimes GPS also hangs and wastes battery, though that is also rare.
I recommend that you install Greenify app (works even without root) - that will hibernate apps wasting power in background and save lot of battery. In my case the Screen on time earlier was 2 hrs 20min earlier and after Greenify it is 3hrs 30min + and I am getting 1 1/2 days of usage.
Also have you updated your phone to the 28th July firmware? There is a good improvement in the battery life also with the new firmware.

Last edited by Behemoth : 15th August 2016 at 08:30.
Old 15th August 2016, 11:05   #24276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Restart your phone and it should be fine...

...Also have you updated your phone to the 28th July firmware? There is a good improvement in the battery life also with the new firmware.
Tried the restart last evening, and put the phone to charge. Can't comment yet on how effective that was.

I've never updated the system since I got the phone! Call me old fashioned..! Guess it's time for that system update now.
Old 16th August 2016, 10:30   #24277
Senior - BHPian

I hope the success of Redmi 3S prime leads more manufacturers to offer good spec mid-range 5" phones. I don't understand that while there are 5" flagships available but there are hardly and good 5" mid-range phones.

On a separate note, I have mixed experience with Motorola. My 2 year old Moto X is still doing fine but I have had issues with frequent Wi-Fi disconnects and huge battery drain when connected to mobile data which are the main reasons I am considering a new phone. Lot of my colleagues have had Moto G and some of them had hardware issues. So, I don't see any reason to feel Motorola phones are any better than Xiaomi when it comes to hardware reliability.

I have decided to postpone my decision till the launch of Nexus Sailfish (5" 1080p with SD 82x) and Honor 8 (don't see Zuk Z2 launching soon) . Hopefully these 2 phones should launch within the next 2-3 months.
Old 16th August 2016, 12:15   #24278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I hope the success of Redmi 3S prime leads more manufacturers to offer good spec mid-range 5" phones. I don't understand that while there are 5" flagships available but there are hardly and good 5" mid-range phones.
+1 to that. But, I hope a better manufacturer comes and does that.

Quote:
On a separate note, I have mixed experience with Motorola. My 2 year old Moto X is still doing fine but I have had issues with frequent Wi-Fi disconnects and huge battery drain when connected to mobile data which are the main reasons I am considering a new phone. Lot of my colleagues have had Moto G and some of them had hardware issues. So, I don't see any reason to feel Motorola phones are any better than Xiaomi when it comes to hardware reliability.
Not quite true. I'll do a one to one comparison with a Xiaomi and Motorola because I used both these phones at the same time.

The phones I've used are Xiaomi Redmi 1s and Moto E 2nd gen 4g and was used during the same period of time. These are my experiences with it.

Performance

The spec sheet says, Xiaomi is superior to the Moto E with a 1.6 Ghz Quad core processor compared to the 1.2 Ghz used in the Moto E.

But, in real life, what do performance amount to ?

Is it the ability to multi task ( getting the maps to navigate when the phone is simultaneously connected to the bluetooth of my car stereo, and at the same time I should be able to use the phone. ) or is it about how good the phone shows the graphics of a game ? For me, it was always the real use cases of being able to do the basic functions in a hassle free way.

Literally, in every single long drive that I've used the Xiaomi for navigation, I've faced issues with its primary functionality ( ie, to receive and make calls through a hands free ). And this is not just about calls. Even if I try to send an email after stopping nearby, that in itself used to be a 'job'.

With motorola, it has never been an issue. It is slower than the Xiaomu, but it doesn't get into a hung state any where nearly as often as the Xiaomi.

Reception Quality

Whether it's the placement of the antenna or the quality of the devices used inside, Motorola beats the Xiaomi hands down in this department. You will get to know this when you travel to places with poor reception or where you have a lot of towers crowded together.

Display Quality

As per the specs, the Xiaomi has a ppi of 324 ( close to the ideal ppi benchmark set by Apple as what our eyes can recognize from the typical distance from which the phone is looked at ) compared to the 245 ppi used in Motorola.
It also has my all time favourite best screen size of the LG Nexus 4 ( 4.7" ), compared to the Motorola's 4.5".

But, inspite of all this funda in specs, I prefer looking at the motorola's screen for one simple reason. It doesn't reflect back my face like a mirror as the Xiaomi does! It also doesn't attract scratches like the way, Xiaomi does. My more than 1 year old Moto E screen still looked new ( until it broke a month back ) compared to the Xiaomi and was very easy on the eyes for long reading, inspite of the smaller screen and lower pixel density.

Camera

This is one area where the Xiaomi beats any moto phone hands down. But, again, my priority for camera when I buy a phone is one of the last ones.

Water handling ability

Within 6 months of usage, the touch screen on the Xiaomi died thanks to one of the water splashes during my trips. Both phones were inside my pocket. The Moto still works ( minus the display cracks ). Xiaomi service diagnosed the touch screen failure as a water damage and hence warranty cannot be claimed. And they even told I've to wait for 2 weeks for the screen to come! I said good bye and transferred this brick to my historical collection.

Software Quality

The Moto E 2nd gen runs Android 6.0.1 ( the latest android ) whereas the Xiaomi used to run the kitkat when lolipop was released long back. And it works really well as well. Staying with stock android is one important decision. You are supported by the best software developers in the world.

Ergonomics

Xiaomi feels like a brick in hand while the Moto feels like an extension of the hand. Period!

Note:

Moto E 2nd gen 4g is the 2nd motorola I've ever used in my life. My previous phones are

Nokia 6210
Moto Ming
Nokia E63
Samsung Galaxy SL
Samsung Galaxy Note
Apple iPhone 4
LG Nexus 4
Xiaomi Redmi 1s
Moto E 2nd gen 4g

and now Moto G4

The reason for sticking with brand motorola was not just due to my good experience with Moto E and Moto Ming ( this was an exceptional phone at that time ), but also due to the kind of experience my close relatives and friends got with their Motos. These are our experiences with Moto.

Wife - Moto G 1st gen for 2 years, and then got a buy back offer to upgrade to Moto G Turbo for 8000 odd INR recently. The turbo works fabulously well as well. The phone didn't even get a physical damage thanks to that intelligently designed flip cover by Google and Motorola.

Mother - Moto X 1st gen for 2 years. This is one of the best phones I've ever used for the kind of deign thoughts put into it. She still uses it. Doesn't face any wifi issues. But, yes the battery drains faster now. I've asked her to replace the battery to prevent the phone from buldging and breaking other hardware like what happened with her iphone 4. That should take care of the battery issue.

Father - Moto G Turbo for a few months. He is very happy with it.
Father in law - Moto G 1st gen for 2 plus years. Still no issues with it.

The only moto android which was a bad phone was the Moto G 2nd gen which was a loose release just banking on the name of the 1st gen.

Quote:
I have decided to postpone my decision till the launch of Nexus Sailfish (5" 1080p with SD 82x) and Honor 8 (don't see Zuk Z2 launching soon) . Hopefully these 2 phones should launch within the next 2-3 months.
Nexus Sailfish should be a good buy. Google pushes its manufacturers really hard to meet their requirements. But, whenever you buy a phone, never go by the specs. Give more importance to the actual user experience ( see the phone in real and use it for some time ), how easy the phone is on the hands, and how durable the brand is. Specs beyond a particular value is pointless. And a phone with a pathetic software quality can spoil the experience in the best of hardwares, classic example - Samsung phones. Even with me not being a fan of the Apple design in mobiles or the software philosophy of Apple, I still recommend Apple phones over Samsung for one reason - the software quality. Only Samsung could create such a crap out of android. Even Xiaomi fares better here. The only customized Android UI which doesn't spoil the user experience or performance is that of ASUS.
Old 17th August 2016, 19:35   #24279
Senior - BHPian

Finally pulled the trigger on a replacement for my 3.5 year old Nexus 4 and ordered the Oneplus 3 on Monday. Should get it tomorrow

Any experience on the small USB C to micro USB converters ? I ordered and got one yesterday but yet to try it out since I havent got my new phone yet. I think if it works well it makes sense to carry it in my pocket so that I can use this with my existing microUSB car charger, work charger and powerbank rather than buying new USB C cables for them. Dash charger will remain at home. I dont think it makes sense to buy a 2nd one as they are quite costly. Normal charging speeds will be ok most of the time
Old 18th August 2016, 08:46   #24280
Senior - BHPian

Google duo seems to be available for download in India. And my first experience with it is pretty good! - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.apps.tachyon
Old 18th August 2016, 10:12   #24281
Distinguished - BHPian

I got the redmi note 3 about a month back, and I am really not happy with it.
Nothing about the phone itself though, apart from slight dissatisfaction with the camera.
Its the bloody MIUI. Unnecessarily complicated, it is. Stock android was max 2 clicks to any function. I am happy with the hardware, but need to rom it up with something stock.
Thankfully, there's an Xperia rom for this one available. Will see. Otherwise, I am ditching this for the XA.
Old 18th August 2016, 11:28   #24282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Google duo seems to be available for download in India. And my first experience with it is pretty good! - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.apps.tachyon
It got released for rest of the world, yesterday, 17th.

As of now, it is working fine here at UAE. Just a matter of time before it gets blocked.
Old 18th August 2016, 11:42   #24283
BHPian

Got my replacement OnePlus 3 yesterday. The screen seems to be fine on this one and no other issues so far. Hope I can keep this phone for a long time.
Old 18th August 2016, 16:04   #24284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I got the redmi note 3 about a month back, and I am really not happy with it.
Nothing about the phone itself though, apart from slight dissatisfaction with the camera.
Its the bloody MIUI. Unnecessarily complicated, it is. Stock android was max 2 clicks to any function. I am happy with the hardware, but need to rom it up with something stock.
Thankfully, there's an Xperia rom for this one available. Will see. Otherwise, I am ditching this for the XA.
Try any of the CM Roms, if stock Android is what you desire. I have been using Santosh's CM ROM from the first day itself and everything works as expected for me.
Old 18th August 2016, 16:45   #24285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
nova launcher not working out?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks