Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2022, 22:37   #31771
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
So, the issue is getting my hands on another cable (for my 2nd car) which provides capability to transfer data.
I use the OEM cables in our cars. For home charging I use all sorts of el cheapo cables. And my laptop's 65W charger is pretty good for high-speed charging.

But recently I purchased a few Duracell branded type C cables off Amazon - they feel durable and are functioning just fine.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 23:24   #31772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I use the OEM cables in our cars. For home charging I use all sorts of el cheapo cables. And my laptop's 65W charger is pretty good for high-speed charging.

But recently I purchased a few Duracell branded type C cables off Amazon - they feel durable and are functioning just fine.
Thanks binand. I have seen duracell cables available on Amazon. Do you know if they work for android auto connectivity?
Old 26th August 2022, 23:54   #31773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks binand. I have seen duracell cables available on Amazon. Do you know if they work for android auto connectivity?
Haven't checked. And right now the cables and cars are geographically separated. I'll be able to check only next weekend.

But I am confident they will.
Old 27th August 2022, 06:50   #31774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Haven't checked. And right now the cables and cars are geographically separated. I'll be able to check only next weekend.

But I am confident they will.
I have used Duracell cable (micro USB one) and works fine for Android Auto.
dmplog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2022, 07:28   #31775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Any Flip 3 users on the forum - how has your experience been ?
I used Flip 3 for about 1.5 months. The phone is a sexy little beast, no doubts about that. I got it for novelty and it was worth it. It is small phone with big screen - something that every manufacturer has been trying for years and is a reality now. The screen itself is absolutely fabulous if you ignore the crease (which you will after about two weeks) and is technological marvel if you think about it. The cameras are okay. I did miss telephoto zoom of my S10. But I think the main shooter on Flip is sharper than S10's. The speakers are good, not that I care about them a lot. Build quality is fantastic and flip mechanism is extremely satisfying.

If I had to nitpick, its the slow charging and no support for Samsung DEX. I never used it when I had it on my S10 but worth noting if you do use it. Oh and no SD card slot or AUX port like all other flagships but I guess that is just way of the life now.

Honestly, the only real chink in the armor is battery life. It lasts about a day with medium use pattern. If you are a heavy user who watches YouTube videos in the bus, plays games on the toilet and goes to sleep watching a movie this phone will be dead before end of the day. I am home all the time since WFH started and have wireless charging pads strewn across the home so battery life did not deter me. The only time I was anxious was when I went on a century ride and had to turn on the Google Maps for about 3 hours. The battery went down faster than I gulped the water and by the time I reached home it was at 3%, down almost 80%.

That apart, the phone is fantastic and a conversation starter. Worth buying just for the novelty in the beginning and then falling in love.
That happened with me and I pre-ordered Flip 4 Bespoke edition which was delivered this afternoon. I think I am firmly in foldable phone camp now and excited about what other manufacturers do. Samsung has set the bar incredibly high though, with Flip 3 itself. The 4 just builds on it. I shall report my findings about battery life and cameras in two weeks.

Also of note, the Bespoke edition colors are misleading, you have been warned. Attaching my Flip3, Flip 4 Bespoke pictures below. The Flip 4 is red and green per Samsung but the red is more light burgundy and green is fatigue/military green. I love those colors but they just don't look like what Samsung shows on their phone builder.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20220826_141353.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20220826_141236.jpg
amol4184 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 27th August 2022, 07:37   #31776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Request guidance on if anybody has bought a Type A to Type C cable online which works with Android Auto.
I use short braided cable from Cablecreation. It is just 0.5ft in length. Paid 300 Rupees for it (from amazon).
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2022, 09:56   #31777
BHPian

What is the best way to get a Pixel 6 Pro in India? Buy in the US and handcarry it with someone coming? My 7T is going okish but the itch for the new phone is getting strong. There is $250 off now i guess to clear the stock before 7 Pro come along. Has anyone got it from the US and using in India? Have there been any issues? I am guess there will not be any support since it is not officially launched in india right. I have an old Pixel 2XL that my daughter uses!
naveenvenkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2022, 11:54   #31778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Has anyone got it from the US and using in India? Have there been any issues? I am guess there will not be any support since it is not officially launched in india right
Absolutely no issues. Used Pixel 6 bought in the USA in India for about 8 months. The phone had problem with speakers but that is not related to it being US model. Theres no support for it, that is right.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2022, 20:18   #31779
BHPian

I have been an iPhone user since 2009 and I am on iPhone 6S since 2016. I am tired of using the same interface and was looking for Android options. I don't want Samsung and looking for a really good looking ones. It should be the Aston Martin DB5 or Ferrari Italia of android phones.
I checked the Pixel series and the Sony series but nothing seems to be The One.
Please suggest some beautiful phones.
Old 27th August 2022, 20:48   #31780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by casnov View Post
I guess you are searching in wrong direction. Ideally you should start searching which mobile case/cover is beautiful, and then buy a mobile fitting in that cover. Because nobody can dare to carry today's fragile mobile phones without cover, so no point buying a beautiful phone.

All said and done, looks are pretty subjective, something liked by someone maybe disliked by others so hard to suggest something on the basis of looks alone.

Still if I am to share my opinion then I find it surprising that the dual tone Pixel 6/Pro failed to impress you if you really seen them in person without any case. The upcoming Pixel 7 series is even better.

They are the only phones in the Android crowd which stand out due to the unconventional camera hump. They look and feel far better in person than in photos or videos.

But the issue is they are too slippery and the glass sandwich construction forces you to use them inside some hefty cover so all the beauty goes hidden.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 27th August 2022 at 20:54.
tbppjpr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 14:35   #31781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by casnov View Post
I have been an iPhone user since 2009 and I am on iPhone 6S since 2016. I am tired of using the same interface and was looking for Android options. I don't want Samsung and looking for a really good looking ones. It should be the Aston Martin DB5 or Ferrari Italia of android phones.
I checked the Pixel series and the Sony series but nothing seems to be The One.
Been there, done that. Am back to the iPhone world since 2019 but tempted by the Samsung Fold 4.

Even though you have said you don’t want a Samsung, I would ask you to check out the Fold 4 and the latest Flip. These are the only phones which are beautiful and different from the Android world which should create a real wow factor too.

Let us know what you feel

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 28th August 2022 at 14:37.
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 19:01   #31782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Been there, done that. Am back to the iPhone world since 2019 but tempted by the Samsung Fold 4.

Even though you have said you don’t want a Samsung, I would ask you to check out the Fold 4 and the latest Flip. These are the only phones which are beautiful and different from the Android world which should create a real wow factor too.
Absolutely agree ! Had a look at the Fold 4 yesterday and I must say it is ‘gorgeous’ .
After nearly 5 years into the iOS / iPhone, I really felt like getting an Android yesterday. I haven’t seen the Flip 4 personally though, but it surely looks good in the videos / pictures.

For anyone looking for a good android phone that looks the part, these 2 are possibly the only options.

The Flip 4 has some tradeoffs in terms of camera , battery, slightly slower fast charging speeds, etc. But Fold 4 for sure is a complete package.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 28th August 2022 at 19:03.
ashvek3141 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 19:17   #31783
BHPian

Vivo X80 Pro. Had signed up for the Android 13 preview program, and the update was pushed last week. Around 6GB in size, installed the same and nothing to complain or highlight. Feels the same as Android 12 for the most part. Visuals are better, notification management felt cleaner. Battery warnings which are good, but no solution if already on battery saver. Battery life- still at ~2 days with dual sim active always.

Last edited by xotiq : 28th August 2022 at 19:18.
Old 28th August 2022, 19:31   #31784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Absolutely agree ! Had a look at the Fold 4 yesterday and I must say it is ‘gorgeous’ . After nearly 5 years into the iOS / iPhone, I really felt like getting an Android yesterday.
Ashvek, since you are an currently using an iPhone you are the perfect person (for a iPhone user) to give your impression on the Fold 4. Please elaborate on your feel of the Fold 4. Fluidity, switching between apps and overall feel in the hand, both with it in the closed position and open.

Thank you.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 28th August 2022 at 19:32.
Old 28th August 2022, 19:45   #31785
BHPian

Choosing a new Android phone in the sea of Android phones available in our market is a daunting task. There are just so many options yet there is no "perfectly balanced" phone available, it feels like the Manufactures are deliberately not launching a well balanced phone so that people keep buying new phones every now and then based on some minor updates and new looks (nowadays). In that sense, iPhones are really simple, if you want iOS based phone you just have few phones to compare and select the one that best suits your needs (or budget ). But then I am not a fan of iPhones since I prefer functionality and value over everything else. And then the restricted nature of Apple ecosystem is a big downside when coming from Android phones. But just for a change I am actually waiting for the iPhone 14 launch which should make the prices of 12/13 more affordable and VFM. Currently the standard iPhone 13 128GB is retailing for 66K on Flipkart which is the lowest ever but I am expecting it to go down further post the launch of 14.

I am currently using a OnePlus 5T which was a well-balanced phone of it's time, sadly the current OnePlus is not what it was in the yesteryears. I don't really have a need to upgrade since my current phone is working decently well even after 4+ years of usage. The only thing I am missing is the new Android updates (Stuck at Android 10) and more importantly the security updates which are a must in the current age where we have most of our financial apps on our phones and having a outdated phone is a risk. I am a sucker for stock experience, so MODs aren't a option and it's again risky.

While browsing through Amazon/Flipkart for the past few days I came across the much discussed Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G. I was very intrigued by this phone since most of the reviews raved about it's well-balanced nature, I also went through most of the posts in this thread about the phone. I know, its almost a 2yr old model now but at the mouth-watering price of 30K it still makes a good case for itself even today. I do not care if it gets the Android 13/14 update or not as long as the promised security updates keep coming till the EOL which is around Oct 2024. Me thinks that instead of spending 60K+ on a old gen iPhone, I might as well invest 30K on the old gen Samsung now and upgrade to a iPhone maybe in 2024 or 2025, if the need arises. I will give my OP5T to my mom who is using a low-budget Vivo model and would probably exchange that Vivo for the new phone that I buy. For me the priorities are Camera, Performance (not gaming), 5G support and Battery life. So to all the Galaxy S20 FE 5G users, could you please let me know how's the phone performing currently? I read that the new Android 12 bought few issues/bugs, did Samsung fix them with updates yet? Would you suggest the phone currently to be used until the end of 2024 at-least?
Funny is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed