Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2022, 22:23   #31891
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMerchant View Post
For small payments Google Pay and for big payments app of my bank account. My bank account app has a QR scanner/UPI id/mobile number so never felt the need to put my cards(Credit-Debit) on the cell.
It was too convenient. In your case it doesn't make much sense but if one has multiple cards with different rewards and usage patterns, then it was too useful. You just had to swipe up from lock screen and choose cards, not that it can't be done now but since they have removed MST, they removed the ability to use cards above 5k. I never used Google Pay instead had BHIM UPI setup through Samsung Pay.

I still can't forget the amazed faces people made after they specifically told me it won't work with their terminals and then poof, transaction approved and slip printed.
batish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 23:31   #31892
Senior - BHPian

Can confirm the Flip 4 has only NFC support.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20221014_232412_samsung-pay.jpg  

fiat_tarun is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 09:04   #31893
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, how do I stop the "Waze" app from automatically going to sleep? Google Maps doesn't. But if I'm running Waze and open another app (Waze in the background) or if I lock my phone screen, its automatically terminated.

How do I keep the Waze app running even in the background, like Google Maps?

Thank you!
Old 17th October 2022, 09:36   #31894
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, how do I stop the "Waze" app from automatically going to sleep? Google Maps doesn't. But if I'm running Waze and open another app (Waze in the background) or if I lock my phone screen, its automatically terminated.

How do I keep the Waze app running even in the background, like Google Maps?

Thank you!
If you are on Android, there is an advanced setting in Battery optimization. In that for each app you can select the behaviour: Don't optimise/ Auto Optimise/ Always Ask. In that select "Don't Optimise". That way the app will keep running in the background and still give you alerts - I also use the same as it also has Speed camera alerts and helps in keeping speed in check on city roads are the limit is 50kmph in many parts of Delhi NCR
Behemoth is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 10:02   #31895
Senior - BHPian

My wife wants to replace her ancient OnePlus 6. I am about to suggest to her the Samsung S22 5G (which is at around 43K on Amazon today after exchange and cashback). Any gotchas I need to be aware of?

Edit: MST is not a make/break feature for her.

Last edited by binand : 17th October 2022 at 10:05.
Old 17th October 2022, 10:13   #31896
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
My wife wants to replace her ancient OnePlus 6. I am about to suggest to her the Samsung S22 5G (which is at around 43K on Amazon today after exchange and cashback). Any gotchas I need to be aware of?
It’s a nice phone. Fast and fluid to use, the camera is brilliant, and the small form factor is what made me choose the regular S22 over the plus/ultra. On the negative side, for a reasonably heavy user, the battery won’t last for the whole day.

And make sure to dress it up with a good screen protector (that doesn’t tamper the fingerprint scanner) and a protective case (I use the Spigen Thin Fit).
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 12:42   #31897
BHPian

Have ordered the Moto G62. Wanted a phone with stock android. Had a Lenovo K6 power previously, which lasted for 4 and a half years without any problems. Hope this one too would last long. Other than the camera and LCD display, I hope it's a good package.

Any other suggestions in the same price range (Rs.15K)?

Want to hear opinions from recent Moto users. How is the camera and overall performance?

Edit: Moto was initially known for its good camera eg. Moto G5 plus. But it's what they lack now.

Thanks.

Last edited by RR96 : 17th October 2022 at 13:06.
RR96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 13:01   #31898
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR96 View Post
Have ordered the Moto G62. Wanted a phone with stock android. Had a Lenovo K6 power previously, which lasted for 4 and a half years without any problems. Hope this one too would last long. Other than the camera and LCD display, I hope it's a good package.

Any other suggestions in the same price range (Rs.15K)?

Want to hear opinions from recent Moto users. How is the camera and overall performance?

Thanks.
I got the moto edge 20 fusion, with a 108 MP camera.
The most worthless camera ever. Also, that phone had a propensity for random restarts, at least once every week. Or when dropped. I think that was the shortest I have ever used a phone, for about 3 months before I got absolutely frustrated, 99% because the absolutely useless camera.
mayankk is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 21:33   #31899
BHPian

Been using an Oppo F15 (running Android 11.0 version) since January-2021. Recently, had to get the MTNL Dolphin (Mumbai) SIM changed to a micro-SIM (2G only and no data add-on) and to make it useful, inserted into the second SIM slot. Started seeing lower than usual battery life. Generally charge once every 2-3 days but had to charge daily since inserting the MTNL SIM. Sometime back, had a Jio SIM in the 2nd slot but did not see this type of behavior with the battery. Initially theory was that some app update like DuckDuckGo browser (with VPN enabled) lead to the battery drain. After disabling the VPN functionality, the battery drain issue persisted. Removed the MTNL SIM, charged the phone to 100% and the issue seems to be resolved based on the 1.5 hours of testing (100% to 98%) since charging.

Has anyone faced this issue with MTNL SIM or with 2G-only SIM where the battery drains faster in an Android dual-SIM phone?
Old 24th October 2022, 06:58   #31900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anivy View Post

Has anyone faced this issue with MTNL SIM or with 2G-only SIM where the battery drains faster in an Android dual-SIM phone?
Yes, This happens with 2G/3G only sims or the ones with less coverage. My battery lasts way longer if I don't use by BSNL sim card. It lasts even longer when I am in other countries. The difference is the low signal strength.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 21:45   #31901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anivy View Post
Recently, had to get the MTNL Dolphin (Mumbai) SIM changed to a micro-SIM (2G only and no data add-on) and to make it useful, inserted into the second SIM slot. Started seeing lower than usual battery life. Generally charge once every 2-3 days but had to charge daily since inserting the MTNL SIM.

The battery drain issue seems to be more when the MTNL network fluctuation exists. Of late, have observed "no network" more frequently even in areas where there were no problems earlier, causing battery drain.

Which MTNL exchange did you get the MICRO-SIM from? Have been trying to get a hold of a replacement MICRO-SIM for a while but given to understand it's not in stock.
Fx14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 23:13   #31902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx14 View Post
The battery drain issue seems to be more when the MTNL network fluctuation exists. Of late, have observed "no network" more frequently even in areas where there were no problems earlier, causing battery drain.
True. Have observed at my place where the MTNL network disappears and reappears after a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx14 View Post
Which MTNL exchange did you get the MICRO-SIM from? Have been trying to get a hold of a replacement MICRO-SIM for a while but given to understand it's not in stock.
Got the micro-SIM at the MTNL Malad (W) office located on S.V. Road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Yes, This happens with 2G/3G only sims or the ones with less coverage. My battery lasts way longer if I don't use by BSNL sim card. It lasts even longer when I am in other countries. The difference is the low signal strength.
Moved the MTNL SIM to a first generation Moto G (only SIM in the phone) and the battery drain issue is not as prominent as it was on my phone. Might have to get the battery of an old Nokia feature phone lying around changed and use that for this SIM.

Realized that the "battery usage by app" sub-section in the Settings menu option does not show any battery drain because of SIM/network. Is there an app that specifically tracks battery drain due to SIM/network or maybe a derived way to find the network strength and then extrapolate to indicate battery drain?
anivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 12:21   #31903
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
If you are on Android, there is an advanced setting in Battery optimization. In that for each app you can select the behaviour: Don't optimise/ Auto Optimise/ Always Ask. In that select "Don't Optimise".
Thank you! Went through all settings over the weekend, man! Don't see this option at all. Running Android 12 on Samsung Flip. Any other solutions?
Old 1st November 2022, 13:02   #31904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Went through all settings over the weekend, man! Don't see this option at all. Running Android 12 on Samsung Flip. Any other solutions?
In Android 12 Google changed the way you manage this feature. Now the only way to do this is via the info screen of each app that you want to optimise: select Battery, check Unrestricted from there.

In Android 11 and older you have a Battery optimisation option under Apps > Special app access.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 13:05   #31905
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! Went through all settings over the weekend, man! Don't see this option at all. Running Android 12 on Samsung Flip. Any other solutions?
It's possible that Samsung may have done a different UI optimization for their OS in that case. Just try searching for app specific customization options (could be combined with app permissions) and check if there is an option "allow background operation"
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks