Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2022, 22:40   #31831
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Checked out the Samsung Z Fold 4 and Flip 4 a couple of days ago as I was curious about them. Used the Galaxy Note 10 (plus a few other flagship Samsung devices) before switching to an iPhone 11 since November 2019 again. Used iPhones before the Android world as well.

Haven’t been able to buy any of the iPhones after that (iPhone 11/LCD screen) due to Pulse Width Management (PWM) issues which I face. For those who are not aware, people who suffer from PWM cannot use certain OLED screens because our eyes begin to burn in a short while and could have headaches as well. Many more issues could happen, please do a search on Google if interested.

Z Fold 4 - fantastic device build, feels robust, really strong folding action which feels it could last forever with a crisp and bright screen. Feels awkward to hold and use when opened, cramped and narrow when folded. Lovely camera but the pictures did not feel natural or something which I like now.

Z Flip 4 - fantastic build quality, robust, strong flip, feels built to last too. Feels narrow, strange and long in the hand when flipped open, nothing to write home about when the flip is closed. Does not feel comfortable or as slick as the first Motorola Razr (used that as well). Of course the functionality is on a different planet for sure.

Both the above phones while having good speed, 12gb RAM etc etc just did not feel slick or match the fluidity of my 3 year old plain iPhone 11 to my surprise and disappointment. I was seriously contemplating the Fold 4 to replace my 11. Difficult to put into words, I mean ease of app/screen switching, the feeling of butter smoothness just wasn’t there.

This is not bashing Android or Samsung, just my take on this subject and these phones. I have been on both sides of the fence (iPhone and Android) many times. After using launchers, icon packs etc etc and getting fed up of all that now, I find the walled Apple garden a better place to be in.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 23:59   #31832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Haven’t been able to buy any of the iPhones after that (iPhone 11/LCD screen) due to Pulse Width Management (PWM) issues which I face. For those who are not aware, people who suffer from PWM cannot use certain OLED screens because our eyes begin to burn in a short while and could have headaches as well. Many more issues could happen, please do a search on Google if interested.
How could the Samsung devices help here? All of the premium samsung devices come with AMOLED display, and with that the PWM issues.

I myself had hard time using the Samsung A52 BUT somehow made peace with that. I wouldn't know how others are coping with this issue as iPhone and Samsung are the two top selling brands across the globe.

AFAIK, there are NO premium android devices with SLCD displays. If there are any, please do let me know.
JMaruru is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 12:56   #31833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
How could the Samsung devices help here? All of the premium samsung devices come with AMOLED display, and with that the PWM issues.
It’s inexplicable why certain Amoled screens work for me and some don’t, this is besides the current LCD screen iPhone 11 which I am using. Towards the end of my last Android foray I have used the Samsung Note 8 and Note 10 Plus where I didn’t face any issue with the screen. For whatsoever reason I didn’t have any issue with the Fold or Flip 4 screen wise.

For me it’s luckily really simple to identity my particular issue, I use the phone in question for ~10-15 minutes (maybe a couple of times to be sure), if I don’t feel uncomfortable or my eyes don’t burn, it has passed the test of usability for me. Buying the iPhone 11 Pro Max was the first time I learnt of Pulse Width Management (PWM) issues and it’s effect on me.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 16th September 2022 at 12:58.
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 13:42   #31834
BHPian

Quote:
if I don’t feel uncomfortable or my eyes don’t burn, it has passed the test of usability for me. Buying the iPhone 11 Pro Max was the first time I learnt of Pulse Width Management (PWM) issues and it’s effect on me.
In order to avoid this eye issue, what display settings do you set on your mobile - both while viewing a demo phone & also most importantly, the settings on your personal phone that you use daily.

Other than these Settings, I make use of Dark Mode wherever I can.

Last edited by Bhupesh_2628 : 16th September 2022 at 13:43.
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 13:48   #31835
BHPian

Quote:
It’s inexplicable why certain Amoled screens work for me and some don’t
The PWM frequency matters. Generally anything above 200 is considered okay although it varies between individuals.

Also the brightness at the time of testing plays a part. At 100% there is no PWM. Even with phones that support DC dimming, below a certain brightness the screen defaults to PWM.

I say, test your eyes with a phone that has a very high PWM and work down from there. Notebookcheck used to have a list. You may google to find out.
dragonfire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 14:54   #31836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhupesh_2628 View Post
In order to avoid this eye issue, what display settings do you set on your mobile - both while viewing a demo phone & also most importantly, the settings on your personal phone that you use daily.

Other than these Settings, I make use of Dark Mode wherever I can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
The PWM frequency matters. Generally anything above 200 is considered okay although it varies between individuals.

Also the brightness at the time of testing plays a part. At 100% there is no PWM. Even with phones that support DC dimming, below a certain brightness the screen defaults to PWM.

I say, test your eyes with a phone that has a very high PWM and work down from there. Notebookcheck used to have a list. You may google to find out.
Thank you Bhupesh and dragonfire for your suggestions.

I have done extensive research on this aspect and have exhausted everything. Whitepoint in Accessibility, brightness settings, blue filter screen guard and Apple forums among other things. I don’t use dark mode, don’t like it.

Not interested in any review from anywhere as I find this particular issue to be different for different individuals. Discussions on Apple forums offer enough evidence of this. After trying everything including discussions with the staff at Apple stores, I simply do my own test of using it for 10-15 minutes. If it passes my test then I know it’s good for me or simply avoid the phone.

I know it may be challenge to upgrade going forward or at least till mini led screens become mainstream, it is what it is and I have made my peace with it.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 16th September 2022 at 14:56.
Cyborg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 10:04   #31837
BHPian

Samsung seem to have done a very good job in offering 4 years of Android Updates and 5 years of Security Updates on some their phones. I think this is a very good option for people to move to Samsung phone for any new buys!
searacer932 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 14:07   #31838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Samsung seem to have done a very good job in offering 4 years of Android Updates and 5 years of Security Updates on some their phones. I think this is a very good option for people to move to Samsung phone for any new buys!
Not good enough. First update might come in a month or two. From the next, it will be like an eternal wait, with no ETA often the update coming even an year after Google releases it. After a while you will get fed up and upgrade to a new phone to get the latest Android. And the cycle continues...
Old 17th September 2022, 16:32   #31839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Not good enough. First update might come in a month or two. From the next, it will be like an eternal wait, with no ETA often the update coming even an year after Google releases it. After a while you will get fed up and upgrade to a new phone to get the latest Android. And the cycle continues...
I have used a Samsung Galaxy S8 for 5 years and used to get regular monthly security updates and annual OS updates till they committed. This prompted me to buy the current flagship and the commitment of 5 year security updates was a big push.

It is not about the latest features rather the security updates that I care about. And AFAIK, only Samsung does it well in Android, and not even Google.

Sure, it might not be good enough as compared to Apple, but for Android, this is the best you can get.
brownkaiser is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 21:45   #31840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_addict View Post
I have been using Perfios on the web since 2014-15...
And more robust than SMS based tracking..
'Just what the doctor ordered' as Ravi Shastri would say during his commentary stints. Thanks for this fantastic suggestion car_addict. This is what I actually needed. Very elaborate categorisation and a proper consolidated view.

I am able to add ICICI and HDFC bank accounts and cards but except for HDFC credit card, others aren't syncing. Other bank accounts are set up without issues. Is there a fix to that? Should I delete and add them again or something?
Old 17th September 2022, 22:33   #31841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
'Just what the doctor ordered' as Ravi Shastri would say during his commentary stints. Thanks for this fantastic suggestion car_addict. This is what I actually needed. Very elaborate categorisation and a proper consolidated view.

I am able to add ICICI and HDFC bank accounts and cards but except for HDFC credit card, others aren't syncing. Other bank accounts are set up without issues. Is there a fix to that? Should I delete and add them again or something?
Glad to be of help. For more than 5 accounts I think you need to subscribe. Very cheap (₹530/year) and I think this was my first and longest subscription so far. Actually I have been using them since 2011-12. I use HDFC, SBI, ICICI Citibank and BOI bank accounts and credit cards. Except BOI all of them work flawlessly. Their support is also very quick to respond and it is usually the programmers who get directly involved.

The category for most part are automatic and they seem to learn the corrections for future. Have saved probably 1000’s of hours during tax time for rent income, interest and other things. During tax time it is just a couple of clicks for generating the report for my auditor.

And best part is that they are not after your data as their business model is completely different and they are very privacy conscious.
car_addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 23:13   #31842
BHPian

Looks like Pixel 7 and 7 pro will be launched in India on Flipkart. Hope they price it sensibly 😀

Source: GSMARENA

https://www.gsmarena.com/pixel_7_ser...news-55890.php
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-0c09c863ce024d499614083969e2bba8.jpeg  

firstdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 16:33   #31843
BHPian

Google India also tweeted about Pixel 7 & Pixel 7 Pro coming to India soon. Also, that tweet is also pinned.

See below screenshot from Google India Twitter:
Attached Images

Old 24th September 2022, 16:56   #31844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
That's it. I have had enough of this.

The biggest issue that no one talks about the absolutely screwed frequency response for music. My Soundcore TWS sound worse than the earphones that Vistara gives for watching movies.
Sideloaded the Nothing OS 1.1.4 update. It still sounds tinny but not absolutely horrible like before. For me, the music sound quality issue is mitigated with the Watch 5 Pro anyway. An unforeseen benefit of buying a proper smart watch.

The biggest improvement is in camera. This is definitely in acceptable category now. Faster focusing, better exposure and usually better results.

Upgrade is totally recommended. I could be carrying this phone for a while. The real reason that I didn't ditch it yet was lack of options (chipsets that don't heat).
Old 24th September 2022, 18:10   #31845
BHPian

Can anyone recommend a good bluetooth earbud with good call quality purely for indoor use (noise cancellation not important) within 2000?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks