Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2023, 07:49   #31996
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Has anyone got the Moto edge 20 fusion in past few months ?

This phone was reported to have inconsistent camera quality when launched. I guess this issue would have since been resolved by Motorola.

Wanted confirmation about the camera.
Old 4th February 2023, 11:22   #31997
BHPian

What is the cheapest phone offering stock Android ?
Want it as a second phone
Old 5th February 2023, 19:28   #31998
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
What is the cheapest phone offering stock Android ?
Want it as a second phone
Check out the upcoming Motorola E13.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 08:41   #31999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease_Monkey View Post
Check if Gmaps is not added to deep sleeping list. Settings > Device care > Battery > Background usage list > Deep sleeping/ Sleeping lists. I had similar issue in my phone when both Android auto maps & RE Tripper apps wouldn't work properly when maps was in deep sleeping state
Thank you for the suggestion. I checked it but it was not in sleeping lists.
I figured the issue by chance while trying to check your suggestion. I realised that Maps app had no permissions given to it.

Added location permission, now it works without any issue.

Thank you.
SchumiFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 09:10   #32000
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, my Flip 3 screen broke and Samsung replaced the entire screen + body area around it under extended warranty. What's more, they did it in a single working day. Very impressed with the service quality from Samsung .

Now, the problem is, they had to reset the phone! And it's a pain to reinstall all the apps again.

- Is there such a thing as an image backup of Android without rooting the phone? Like for Windows, I use Acronis which has helped me twice. It basically restores my Windows system with all programs, settings etc. to a new hard-drive. EXACT clone. Is there something like this for Android?

- If not, what is the closest and best way to backup an Android with most settings, apps etc.?

- Can I switch the phone updates off? Is it dangerous to do so, or safe? The reason is, every quarterly system update from Samsung used to make the phone a little slower and bring some new bugs with it.

How to switch these updates off?

- Should I even attempt to root the phone? But it's still got 2 years of warranty left. Does rooting kill the warranty?

Thanks in advance!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 09:30   #32001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It basically restores my Windows system with all programs, settings etc. to a new hard-drive. EXACT clone. Is there something like this for Android?

- If not, what is the closest and best way to backup an Android with most settings, apps etc.?
Android does this out-of-the-box, provided you opt in to it at the time of first setup. It should be noted that "exact clone" might not be the right approach since it can be more or less guaranteed that the hardware is not an exact clone (unless you are restoring on the same computer/phone). Android does the right thing here, and each app developer gets considerable leeway on how they want their product to behave in these circumstances.

Quote:
- Can I switch the phone updates off? Is it dangerous to do so, or safe? The reason is, every quarterly system update from Samsung used to make the phone a little slower and bring some new bugs with it.

Pretty much everyone in the know advises against this - switching off security updates. You do get some control over the logistics though, but different vendors do this differently. What I recall is that you cannot stop the phone from checking for updates - but you can stop it from downloading them or installing them automatically. Settings > System > System Update is where the controls are for me.

Quote:
- Should I even attempt to root the phone? But it's still got 2 years of warranty left. Does rooting kill the warranty?

Rooting does stop several financial apps from working (UPI, mobile banking...). Maybe even some non-financial apps.
binand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 09:38   #32002
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
- Is there such a thing as an image backup of Android without rooting the phone? Like for Windows, I use Acronis which has helped me twice. It basically restores my Windows system with all programs, settings etc. to a new hard-drive. EXACT clone. Is there something like this for Android?
Whenever I shift to a new phone, it is always an exact clone of the old phone. As soon as I enter my Google Account email/password, it asks me if I want to transfer all apps from old phone to new. For this to happen, I think you need a paid Google Drive account.

Go to SETTINGS -> Google (Google services) -> 'Backup' and follow the instructions:

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20230215_093113_google-play-services.jpg

If you intend to stick with Samsung phones, you can backup everything to Samsung Cloud. Go to Settings -> Accounts and backup -> Samsung Cloud Back up Data

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20230215_094502_settings.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20230215_094520_samsung-cloud.jpg

Quote:
Can I switch the phone updates off? Is it dangerous to do so, or safe? The reason is, every quarterly system update from Samsung used to make the phone a little slower and bring some new bugs with it.
OS updates are needed for those who have the habit of spending lot of time on Google Playstore installing new apps (like games) and uninstalling them after sometime. If you are that type, OS updates will ensure that the phone runs smoothly all the time

But if you don't have the habit of installing/uninstalling new apps frequently, then you can switch off OS updates. If there is major security update, you will probably see hear that on Team-BHP and you can update OS then.

Quote:
Settings -> Software update -> Deselect 'Auto Download'

If there is a software update, you will be notified but you can choose to ignore that.

Last edited by SmartCat : 15th February 2023 at 09:51.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 09:46   #32003
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys, my Flip 3 screen broke and Samsung replaced the entire screen + body area around it under extended warranty. What's more, they did it in a single working day. Very impressed with the service quality from Samsung .

Now, the problem is, they had to reset the phone! And it's a pain to reinstall all the apps again.

I use Google One with annual subscription. It backs up all my settings and apps just like iPhone. You just need to login to the apps.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 09:48   #32004
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Rooting will kill the warranty.
NG_EV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 09:59   #32005
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG_EV View Post
Rooting will kill the warranty.
Not necessarily. It depends on the manufacturer. I rooted my Poco phone within first month of ownership. My display was changed under warranty after 6 months. They didn't even ask about the custom ROM that was installed.

I'm not sure about Samsung though.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 20:22   #32006

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
-You should use the Samsung Switch application to make a backup. It's almost a clone with settings and apps backed up as well.

-You should ask yourself what is it that you wanna do after rooting it. Custom roms are a popular choice but some applications do not run well after rooting.
Yes, the warranty will be void once rooted but you can unroot. Bootloader can also be locked again... not sure if you will be able to lock it again in a Samsung. You can read more on XDA Developers.
drumbrakes is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2023, 09:51   #32007
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys.

- Installed Google One. Already had a Google Drive subscription so no extra money.

- Samsung switch was quite buggy. I used it when switching from my S9 to the Flip. Too many bugs in the transfer.

- Not going to root. My only motivation was an image backup of the phone. But losing UPI & warranty isn't an option for me.

Very impressed with Samsung's service. Thanks to extended warranty, they replaced my screen, put a screen guard and also replaced the upper body (it had dents & scratches). Feels like a brand new phone! All within 1 working day .
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 16:38   #32008
BHPian

My S23 was delivered on Friday 17th. Had pre-ordered from Samsung website. Travel adapter and wireless charger pad will be delivered later.
Impressed with it's build quality. Feels premium and robust like an iPhone. Performance, screen display are brilliant.
I ordered green shade, but is not green enough. Looks dull. Width is a bit higher than I anticipated.
StepUP! is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 18:14   #32009
BHPian

It's been nearly 3.5 years with my humble OnePlus 7 and I'm amazed how well this fella still runs. I can confidently say that the 7 series was the last generation wherein the true identity of OP devices were still there, after which things took a downward spiral with OP.

The latest update to Android 12 nearly ruined the device. The device performed nothing like a OP device (the reasons being many) and the battery could barely last till evening with hardly 2.5 hours screen on time (SoT). The latest update to Oxygen OS 12 (OOS) was absolutely pathetic and it was literally the crappy Color OS layered with some OOS looks. Did some research and reverted back to Android 11 and stable OOS 11 and BAM! It still manages to get me through a full day with a decent 6 hours SoT.

The original OOS is an absolute delight and so lightweight that the flagship experience is literally there. I feel no reason to upgrade to a newer device given how well the OP7 caters to my humble needs. I really wish if OP could bring back the original OOS to their newer devices so that by the time I feel like upgrading, I don't have to waste time looking for options. Attaching a couple of pics:

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-01.jpeg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-02.jpeg
RiGOD is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 18:27   #32010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
My S23 was delivered on Friday 17th. Had pre-ordered from Samsung website. Travel adapter and wireless charger pad will be delivered later.
Impressed with it's build quality. Feels premium and robust like an iPhone. Performance, screen display are brilliant.
I ordered green shade, but is not green enough. Looks dull. Width is a bit higher than I anticipated.
Got the Phone, Wireless charger and travel adapter delivered along with the green leather case in the past 2-3 days over separate deliveries. Best compact phone with battery life lasting a day easily. Feels good to hold and the green looks a bit olive in some light and grey in other light but no complaints.
whencut86 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed