Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2023, 13:07   #32101
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
I too, wanted to go for the 7a from the current 4a that I am using for the past 3 years. For my kind of usage it felt like the perfect phone. But looking at the recent review for Indian users by Youtuber Geekyranjit has left in 2 minds as it has heating issues which are to the extent of being uncomfortable. This is giving me second thoughts about the whole pixel line up itself owing to the Tensor chips they are using which is causing this heating issue.
Thanks for call out. Having faced issues due to heating in the past, I will mostly give a pass to this otherwise good phone. My previous phone, a Pixel 3a suffered from heating issues and eventually the battery bulged up within a year. It was repaired in warranty but I don't want to deal with this again.

I shared my experience on a few posts in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
[b]
Battery issue
Pixel comes with a fast charger which charges the phone from 0-100 in less than 2 hours. I was happy. Downside, the phone used to heat up a lot while charging.

While travelling, I use the phone for maps and the constant charging while connected to Android auto used to heat up the Pixel. In comparison, the current Samsung S20 FE barely warms up. My sister's iPhone 12 also heats up a lot while clicking photos or videos for long. I should probably retain the Samsung for longer.
Old 23rd May 2023, 13:32   #32102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I find that I have become fixated on the Pixel 7a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
I too, wanted to go for the 7a ...
I was almost ready to pull that trigger even without waiting for prices to fall! Now I have had a tooth removed, which resulted in the loss of a four-tooth bridge, and am facing expensive implants.

Sorry, the dentistry is off-topic. But, it will be affecting my life in 10-20 years time (if I live that long), whereas new phones or cameras today... won't.

On the heating thing: My Motorola X Play got very warm. I'm not that keen on holding a warm thing against my face. But I don't spend that much time talking on the phone.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 09:15   #32103
Oxy
BHPian

I have been hunting for an ergonomic and light weight phone for my wife since quite long, and the Moto Edge 40 seems to be perfect on paper. Has a lot to offer considering the 30k price.

The only thing I hate about it is the curved display so I am still on the fence, unsure of pulling the trigger.
Old 25th May 2023, 10:11   #32104
BHPian

Experts Kindly help.

I currently own a Samsung A71 and using it for last 3 years approx. It has served me well so far but now i am facing issues with charging jack & phone works very slow. Think slowness is typical with all Samsung phones, all thanks to tons of bloatware and mandatory Samsung apps. Charging jack is a hardware issue which need some spends IMO.

Looking for pure Android experience, I chanced upon Pixel 6A and post exchange & HDFC CC offer, the landing price is approx 20.5 K which i believe is VFM. Just wondering if it makes sense to go for Pixel 6A.

Kindly help -
  1. Hows the long term reliability of Pixel.
  2. Do they have service centers for warranty support.
  3. I typically prefer to keep my phones till they work and don,t develop any issues.
  4. Being Google product, I am inclined to think that we will get necessary software / security patches support for next 4-5 years at least.
  5. I see lots of battery issues / heating issues being reported on GSM arena. Wondering if these are fixed or they still prevail.
Old 25th May 2023, 10:44   #32105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
I currently own a Samsung A71 and using it for last 3 years approx. It has served me well so far but now i am facing issues with charging jack & phone works very slow. Think slowness is typical with all Samsung phones, all thanks to tons of bloatware and mandatory Samsung apps. Charging jack is a hardware issue which need some spends IMO.
Have been using few Samsung Snapdragon equipped phones (me & family) and there are absolutely no issues w.r.t bloatware / slowness. We do not sign in to Samsung account, so even if Samsung apps are there, they do not hamper the functionality.

I think, Samsung phones, plus, Snapdragon chipset, plus, not signing in to Samsung account helps.

This is a general post, not meant to direct you to Samsung in any way , just that I wanted to share my experience.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 10:57   #32106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Experts Kindly help.

Charging port will be 1500 Rs fix at official Samsung service centre. I fixed it for my Note 10 earlier. Samsung Mid Rangers slow down when the storage space usage exceeds about 75% of the available amount. The bloatware or mandatory Samsung apps have nothing to do with the phone slowing down. It is almost always disc space slowing down.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 25th May 2023 at 11:00.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 11:00   #32107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I think, Samsung phones, plus, Snapdragon chipset, plus, not signing in to Samsung account helps..
Most probably you are right Sheel. I am logged into Samsung account on the device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Samsung Mid Rangers slow down when the storage space usage exceeds about 75% of the available amount.
I am well within this 75% limit. Not even near to it as i hardly use camera et all.

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 25th May 2023 at 11:05.
.sushilkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 11:46   #32108
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Experts Kindly help.

Looking for pure Android experience, I chanced upon Pixel 6A and post exchange & HDFC CC offer, the landing price is approx 20.5 K which i believe is VFM. Just wondering if it makes sense to go for Pixel 6A.

Kindly help -
  1. Hows the long term reliability of Pixel.
  2. Do they have service centers for warranty support.
  3. I typically prefer to keep my phones till they work and don,t develop any issues.
  4. Being Google product, I am inclined to think that we will get necessary software / security patches support for next 4-5 years at least.
  5. I see lots of battery issues / heating issues being reported on GSM arena. Wondering if these are fixed or they still prevail.
Considering that your phone runs a Snapdragon 730 and is quite a good Samsung model, it seems surprising that you are having lag issues, however you could take a backup and reset the phone to see if that fixes the issue, If not maybe some other internal issues may be the problem. If you intend to fix it do get it checked ar a Samsung authorised service centre when you fix the charging port and they will surely have a solution for it.
  1. As regards Pixel, they are not the most VFM products but are quite reliable and can be used for quite a long time depending on your use case.
  2. I have attached the link of the service centres of Pixel, do check out if you have one nearby:
    https://support.google.com/pixelphon...7862-AP#zippy=
  3. The Pixel 6a is a year old so yes, you will receive 2 more OS updates and 4 more years of software support.
  4. The latest updates seemed to have solved the heating issue so update your phone as soon as you receive it and you will be good to go.

If you are looking for alternatives in your price range, then the Poco F5 5G, Realme GT Neo 3T 5G are good options but don't provide the software support or have the camera provess of the Pixel 6a.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 12:03   #32109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I currently own a Samsung A71 and using it for last 3 years approx. It has served me well so far but now i am facing issues with charging jack & phone works very slow. Think slowness is typical with all Samsung phones, all thanks to tons of bloatware and mandatory Samsung apps....[/list]
Ever since One UI, the slowing down problem is not a problem anymore. And as already mentioned, don't log in to the Samsung account and the apps will not bother you at all.

I had a Note 10 Lite with a exynos processor and even that didn't have any issues for the 2.5 years I used it. Try clearing the cache via the fast boot menu (google will tell you the procedure) which should sort out the issue.

Been using the Flip 4 now since it launched in Sept. and the experience has been great, of course with the very good SD 8+ Gen.1.
fiat_tarun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 08:32   #32110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Experts Kindly help.

I have the same phone, been using it for slightly over 3 years now. I don't have any issue with the phone so far, touchwood. I haven't signed into the Samsung account, so I don't know if that is an issue. I am using the phone with two SIM's and a memory card. Even the battery backup is just as good as on day one. I just charge it once a day. I am a light to moderate user though.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 16:35   #32111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Guys really need some advice, had a bad day today.

I've been using my Samsung S10+ since launch in 2019. It's been running flawlessly and I was super happy with it.

However suddenly the screen on my S10+ has started misbehaving today. The bottom 1cm of the screen has gone completely white and is flickering. Don't think this is a software issue as it happens even when the phone restarts on the splash screen and also when in recovery. Tried restarting multiple times and also wiping the cache partition but no good. Pretty sure the screen needs replacing.
Quoting myself after almost exactly 13 months.

So long story short, the S10+ screen went haywire after a software update, so bought the S20 FE 5G as an interim till the iPhone 14 Pro Max came out and then bought that in September last year. Super happy with the iPhone and may never go back to Android.

However, till now the S10+ was sitting on my desk gathering dust and looking sorry for itself. Thought of selling it on Cashify but was offered basically nothing for it, 2-3k max.

So did the next best thing and went social media! Tweeted Samsung India about the problem and they contacted me next day asking to drop it off to a local authorised service centre for inspection. Dropped it off and the guy there was insisting I am wasting my time and will need to pay 20k or so for a screen replacement, even finding some kind of imaginary dent on the screen saying it must have been because I dropped it. Whatever mate!

Left the phone there and after a couple of days, got a call again from Samsung head office and they said screen needs to be replaced, will cost 19k. I told him no way and to consider a free replacement as a long time Samsung customer, and the fact that this happened after a software update so obviously not because of physical damage. He said he'll escalate the case. I wasn't really expecting anything out of this but thought of giving it a try anyway. Was more or less ready to go back to the service centre and pick up the phone and give it to Cashify for 3k.

And today the unexpected happened! Got a call from someone senior in Samsung and they said they are going to replace free of cost and asked for my permission to do so!

So it worked! I haven't actually got the phone back yet but this makes me super happy that all ethics are not yet lost in the corporate world!
s4ch is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 17:20   #32112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
I facing following problem in Moto G40 Fusion-

The Video camera symbol does not go away after ending Video Call. I am talking about Video Call using Phone App and not WhatsApp.

Searched on Google but could not find correct solution.

Currently I have to Restart the phone after Video Call for turning the Camera symbol OFF.

Bhpians, Any Solutions?

Sim is Airtel, if that matters.
Considering you are using WA for video calls, why don't you just 'Force Close' the app and again start it, instead of re-starting the phone? Just a thought.
Old 26th May 2023, 22:31   #32113
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
So it worked! I haven't actually got the phone back yet but this makes me super happy that all ethics are not yet lost in the corporate world!
That is so good to know, pleasantly surprised. Now what are you going to do with the extra phone? That's a nice dilemma to have.

Last edited by Oxy : 26th May 2023 at 22:34.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 22:34   #32114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
That is so good to know. But what is going to be the replacement phone? The S10+ has been discontinued ages ago!
I meant to say that they are replacing the screen free of cost rather than charging me 19k for it. It’s a curved display and hence why so expensive.

But super happy that it’s free, really didn’t expect it at all!
s4ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 22:39   #32115
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
I meant to say that they are replacing the screen free of cost rather than charging me 19k for it. It’s a curved display and hence why so expensive.

But super happy that it’s free, really didn’t expect it at all!
Yeah understood. Edited my previous post.

Most Viewed