Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2023, 09:41   #32161
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

^^Been sticking to Spigen cases (and a few related brands) for last 6-7 years - over this time, I have dropped my phone numerous times and the cases have paid for their cost so many times. I keep jumping between the transparent and the dark(er) cases. Generally I go for the one that is relatively cheaper.

Honestly, never found the need for a tempered glass. All these cases come with a upper lip on the front and that covers the safety aspect for any kind of falls for me (and I drop them a lot - quite a clumsy fellow here); plus most of my previous phones have come with some Gorilla glass version.
ninjatalli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 17:48   #32162
BHPian

A lot of apps are not allowing screenshots for example Skyscanner & Axis Mobile App. Is there any solution/app for this for Android phones?
Old 8th July 2023, 19:40   #32163
Senior - BHPian

Lately I have been watching a lot of videos (mostly by Rob Braxman) on De-googled phones. I have my OnePlus 7 Pro lying unused at home, so I thought of de-googling it. Now most of the De-googled phones are Pixel's running either Calyx OS or Graphene OS. These 2 OS's are only possible on Pixel's. There are some other phones running Lineage OS with Micro G. The OnePlus 7 Pro is one of them. However I am not able to find a proper start to finish guide for the same.
There is this YouTube Video:

Besides there are some guides but not very comprehensive.

https://v3ritas.tech/2020/08/oneplus...neageosmicrog/

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-...ining-0193787/

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/r...t-pro.4535189/

Only the first one is specific to my phone but not detailed. Rest are not specific to this phone.

Being new to this, I need the following specific to the OnePlus 7 Pro:
- Step by Step Guide to Unlock the Bootloader.
- Step by Step Guide of what softwares to download and how to install TWRP, Magisk etc and whatever is required.
- Step by Step Guide to install Lineage OS with Micro G.
- Which version / variant of the above to use.
- Installation of F-Droid, Aurora store etc.
- A list of Open Source Apps to download.

I know I can search all this items on the net and compile my own guide but I'd prefer not to take a risk as I my do something wrong. It would be much better if someone who knows the process well give me links to the queries I posted.

Thanks in advance.
pedrolourenco is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 22:57   #32164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_blue View Post
A lot of apps are not allowing screenshots for example Skyscanner & Axis Mobile App. Is there any solution/app for this for Android phones?
I haven't come across any solution where you can take screenshot by overriding default security feature.
The best you can do is to take photo of that particular app screen using another mobile phone.
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 00:01   #32165
BHPian

Query for S23 Ultra users here - which charger do you use for your phone? Not able to find Samsung's 45W charger online. Also, did you upgrade to a 5A compatible cable, or are you happy with the cable provided in the box?
Thanks in advance!
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 00:31   #32166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Query for S23 Ultra users here - which charger do you use for your phone? Not able to find Samsung's 45W charger online. Also, did you upgrade to a 5A compatible cable, or are you happy with the cable provided in the box?
Thanks in advance!
I have S21 FE but can say for cables and accessories
*Check Samsung online https://www.samsung.com/in/mobile-ac...ers-and-cables

If not available then go to physical(offline Stores) Samsung Shops in and around 5km area of your residence/work.
ACMerchant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 07:56   #32167
BANNED

@pedrolourenco - hope you are aware of the xda-devel web site. It has brand and model wise info on unlocking and custom bootloaders.

Just curious what you get after stripping Google Play Store and other apps from an Android device? What alternative to play store? Or, is it possible to run the device in a "non smart" mode?

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 9th July 2023 at 07:57.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 08:58   #32168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks in advance!
We have a S23 Ultra and a regular S23 at home, and use this charger (with the respective charging cables that came in the box.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 08:59   #32169
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks in advance!
I am an S22 ultra user. I am using the samsung 45w charger alongwith the cable provided in the box in which the phone came. So far experience has been good. Charging speeds are decent. I bought the charger through an offline store called poorvika. If you are in bangalore then I can suggest you some places where you can get the original charger.
VRod_24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 09:22   #32170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Being new to this, I need the following specific to the OnePlus 7 Pro:
- Step by Step Guide to Unlock the Bootloader.
- Step by Step Guide of what softwares to download and how to install TWRP, Magisk etc and whatever is required.
- Step by Step Guide to install Lineage OS with Micro G.
- Which version / variant of the above to use.
Guide to installing Lineage OS. It covers queries 1 to 4.Don't download Lineage OS from any other sources except the one listed in this link.

Quote:
- Installation of F-Droid, Aurora store etc.
. Aurora Store is an app on F-droid. Search for it and install. I think Aurora Store is not working any longer.

Quote:
Micro G.
Micro-G repository. Add it to F-droid repository.

Quote:
- A list of Open Source Apps to download.
It depends on what you want to do.
Please note that Safetynet may not pass on your phone. That means none of the banking apps, Digilocker etc will work.
the_joker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 15:51   #32171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Just curious what you get after stripping Google Play Store and other apps from an Android device? What alternative to play store? Or, is it possible to run the device in a "non smart" mode?
It's a spare phone. So just wanted to see how it is without Google.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_joker View Post
Please note that Safetynet may not pass on your phone. That means none of the banking apps, Digilocker etc will work.
I'm not going to use any Banking Apps on it.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 16:33   #32172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_blue View Post
I have faced this issue with some bank apps inside safe folder, particularly when ib tried to take a screenshot of UPI transaction.
Accidentally found that if any other program is displayed on the screen along with the bank app, it allow you to take screenshot. I found this when youtube was displaying in a small window at one corner.
girishv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 20:39   #32173
BHPian

Quote:
It's a spare phone. So just wanted to see how it is without Google.

I'm not going to use any Banking Apps on it.
You can use this guide

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/g...pdate.3954559/

Also, after flashing magisk, try this module. On my wife's s7 edge, she is able to run gpay, Paytm. Only SBi detects root.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/m...2-4-0.4217823/

There is this new kernel root which it claims to be not detected by apps

https://kernelsu.org/guide/installation.html
atulsian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 22:20   #32174
BHPian

Quote:
Talking of Custom ROM's, I have a OP7P lying at home (i upgraded from it to an iPhone and a Pixel as secondary) and was thinking of De-Googling it. Problem is I'm a bit rusty in installing Custom ROM's. Last I tried was installing Cyanogenmod on a Samsung Galaxy Note 2.
Thanks, pedrolourenco.

Once you're through with the nitty-gritties of unlocking the bootloader, custom ROM installation has become quite easy, of late. Most of the popular ROMs have well documented steps and it's hard to go wrong. The biggest challenge is choosing the right (stable, safe and well maintained) ROM for your need :-)

Regards
Rex
rex_varghese is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 19:07   #32175
Team-BHP Support

I'm looking to lap up a mid range Android phone in the upcoming Amazon/Flipkart sales. Will be mostly used for regular streaming, social media, emails and pictures. Have shortlisted a handful between 25-40K for now:

1. Pixel 7A: Was almost certain on this until I discovered it is plagued by heating issues and runs extremely hot. Can consider the full sized Pixel 7 too but the reviews haven't been very encouraging.

2. OnePlus 11R:
Having enjoyed using my OnePlus 7 for last 3.5+ years it was the simplest go to decision back in March 2023 but then I read about OnePlus moving to Colos OS. After lots of hesitation I eventually installed the Android 12 update on my OnePlus 7 and it isn't as bad it I imagined it to be. Would Android 13 on the OnePlus 11R be similar, or vastly different? The camera on the OnePlus 11R isn't supposed to be really good either. And then the larger size over the OnePlus 7 which I can actually live with for the crazy fast charging cycle.

3. Samsung 20 FE:
Terrific pricing of 25K but is extremely old and dated.

4. Samsung 21 FE: 45K odd for the recently introduced Snapdragon version it is quite expensive. Would lap it up for 35K (10K extra over the Snapdragon S20 FE), but I doubt prices will fall this soon.

5. Samsung S22+:
47-48K on Flipkart seems like a fair price for last year's flagship+ but 10K more than I'd be comfortable spending. And then I read a few user reviews staying the Gen 1 processor tends to run hot and drains battery rather quickly.

Last edited by manson : 14th July 2023 at 19:18.
manson is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks