Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2023, 06:49   #32296
Oxy
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I am using a 1.5 year old Samsung S20 FE 5G that has an SD865 chipset, and I am too not happy with it's battery life.

If you switch off high refresh rate, always on display, haptics etc then you get slightly better screen on time. But if you want to use these features then you'd need to charge your phone twice a day.

What's the point of not using the phone the way you want to save battery? It's pathetic that Samsung has failed to address this issue in the S21 series and beyond as well.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 09:25   #32297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I am using a 1.5 year old Samsung S20 FE 5G that has an SD865 chipset, and I am too not happy with it's battery life.

If you switch off high refresh rate, always on display, haptics etc then you get slightly better screen on time. But if you want to use these features then you'd need to charge your phone twice a day.

What's the point of not using the phone the way you want to save battery? It's pathetic that Samsung has failed to address this issue in the S21 series and beyond as well.
Agree completely. People switching off all these features and then boasting about the screen on time. It's no point, it's like buying a Honda City and not even enjoying the vtech. I'm confused between nothing phone 2 and iPhone 13. Both have good battery life. Let's see.
sayyam.gaur58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 18:50   #32298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 115 View Post
How is the Edge 40 holding up?
Any issues that you encountered?
Battery backup lasts for a day for average usage?
Your feedback will help me decide between this phone and pixel 7
A friend of mine has the Edge 40, and it's one of the smoothest phones I've seen. Very stylish too.

If you're comparing with the Pixel 7, the Edge 40 actually is the classier phone - better looking, 68W turbocharging with 15W wireles charging, slimmer and very near stock Android too. Battery lasts for a day easily.

But the issues are: assured OS upgrade only till Android 14 (15 is doubtful going by how slow Moto provides updates), curved edges can cause false touches and the phone is quite a long/tall one and kind of slippery mandating a solid grippy back cover.

If you're looking at a phone that you'd want to use for a good two-three years before replacing, Edge 40 is an excellent phone for that. I think it's retailing for around 25K on Flipkart now.
Small Bot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 03:54   #32299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayyam.gaur58 View Post
See below, I just can't just get any battery life.
The Exynos processor has been used in several Samsung phones including the older flagship S21 Ultra and battery drain of this kind is not an issue. Agree that it isn't Qualcomm efficient but not bad enough to dump the phone.

Clearly, you used the phone for close to 6 months without a trace of the issue. Something has triggered this. The screen shot you shared isn't telling us the whole story. There is no App causing battery drain, or the OS is not reporting that, yet there is a ghost drain of some kind.

Do you recall any update or App installed around the time frame the issue started? I know its not possible to remember all of this and the phone may also auto update along the way.

I would start by taking away Apps that you seldom use. The goal here is to narrow down on the problem.

Service centers will always defend the product as its a cost for them to replace the battery which they don't want to do. They are also less qualified, skilled to trace issues around the operating system.

You can only try. If the model is fundamentally flawed, then there is little else you can do. Good luck.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 10th October 2023 at 03:56.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 04:39   #32300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
The SD 888 variant of S21 FE was introduced in India only in July this year. Good chance that Sayyam is using the original gen 1 variant with the Exynos processor. Sitting on the fence for swapping my nearly 4 year old OnePlus 7 for the S21 FE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayyam.gaur58 View Post

Indeed I'm using exynos variant.
It does not matter. Both 888 and Gen 1 are made by Samsung. Both should be avoided. Due to poor thermals, QC quickly moved back to TSMC with 888+, 8+ Gen1 chipsets. Phones with these chipsets don't have heat management or battery issues.

I sat on the fence last year until I bought Pixel 7 Pro (long story). It's chipset is still made by Samsung but doesn't have major thermal issues.
Old 10th October 2023, 08:14   #32301
Oxy
BHPian

Does anyone here use the Spigen tough armor case? I need to know whether this case adds a significant amount of heft to the phone.
Old 10th October 2023, 08:42   #32302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I need to know whether this case adds a significant amount of heft to the phone.
Yes it does. My wife uses Samsung A50 which is a thin and light phone and this case looks bulky too. Built quality and protection it offers is excellent. Very good option if you are a careless phone user. That strip which can be used as a phone stand is a nice feature.
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 06:55   #32303
BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone here use the Spigen tough armor case? I need to know whether this case adds a significant amount of heft to the phone.
Currently, we are using Spigen Hybrid cases for our iPhones. They offer almost the same level of protection as armoured cases but are much lighter and feel better to use.

Having used these cases for 7-8 years now, I can totally vouch for the protection they offer against falls and slips, even if it hits the floor on the screen side. Additionally these covers usually have a lip around canera bumps and protect the cameras lenses from getting scratches. So, the camera picture quality remains as good as day 1 after many years of use..

There are couple of more brands - Kapaver and Ringke. Kapaver is usually much cheaper but the case is harder to touch. But, it offers same great protection. Ringke also is pretty good and is usually cheaper on it's own website compared to Amazon. I use it for the pixel.
atnyia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 08:03   #32304
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I use Spigen Thin Fit cases for all the phones in the household. Doesn't add much weight and bulk, and even though its minimal, the protection is pretty awesome. Last year the phone flew off my hand and landed on rocks, say from around 5 feet height, and the case absorbed the impact quite well.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_0398.jpg

Last edited by vb-saan : 11th October 2023 at 08:08. Reason: Attachment added
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 09:31   #32305
Senior - BHPian

My FIL is looking for a budget Android phone with a budget of ~10k (ok to up by 2k max if the features are good). His usage is primarily phone calls, WhatsApp, YouTube videos, and messages. I was looking at Samsung M14, Nokia G42 but seeing mixed reviews about them.

Any suggestions for phones within the budget?
Old 11th October 2023, 11:15   #32306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
My FIL is looking for a budget Android phone with a budget of ~10k (ok to up by 2k max if the features are good). His usage is primarily phone calls, WhatsApp, YouTube videos, and messages. I was looking at Samsung M14; but seeing mixed reviews about them.

I was in same dilemma and finally bought Samsung F14 with 6GB RAM (same as M14, but available in Flipkart as F14) for 11K for mom yesterday. Yet to get the phone. I was thinking of saving 5K by ordering M04 at 6.5K from Amazon, but F14 having 5G bands tilted me towards that. If this works at least for 2 years, then it is worth it. But only time will tell that.
sreerknair is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 13:46   #32307
BHPian

Quote:
My FIL is looking for a budget Android phone with a budget of ~10k (ok to up by 2k max if the features are good). His usage is primarily phone calls, WhatsApp, YouTube videos, and messages. I was looking at Samsung M14, Nokia G42 but seeing mixed reviews about them.

Samsung M14 or F14 isn't a bad option. Another option you can consider (but at 12K - 13K based on offer) is Motorola G54. Good phone with good specs and large battery (6,000mAh). I have booked one but yet to get it delivered.
Old 11th October 2023, 18:47   #32308
Lij
BHPian

Quote:

If 5G is not really needed I would suggest Moto G32. Bought one in the family couple of months ago at 11k, was quite happy and so bought another one during the current sale at 9k.
Old 19th October 2023, 13:11   #32309
BHPian

Google to manufacture Pixel phones in India.

Internet major Google on Thursday announced that it will manufacture Pixel phones in India, beginning with Pixel 8 which will be available in the market in 2024, said Rick Osterloh, head of devices, adding that the company will partner with global manufacturers in India to set up manufacturing.

Few reference links:

1) https://www.livemint.com/technology/...698560183.html

2) https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...62511.html/amp

3) https://indianexpress.com/article/te...-8989403/lite/
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 16:55   #32310
BHPian

Guys, will Pixel 8 pro purchased from the US work in India without any issues?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks