Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2024, 10:49   #32431
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Meanwhile, I also saw the One Plus 12 and it is not bad a phone frankly.
OnePlus 12 is an absolute specs monster. Mighty impressive phone for the cost, if you only look at the specs and not the user experience.
The only issue that could probably hold customers back is the apparently buggy OS and the slow release of patches to address them (maybe because Oppo is essentially running the show?).
It seems like the phones have not exactly been the same after ColorOS came into the picture. At least that's what I get from friends who've used OnePlus mobiles over the years. I have personally never used one.
Small Bot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 12:32   #32432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
How long does it take? An hour or two when the phone is new? And when one is likely to want to play with the new toy anyway. A few minutes if it is just installing a different launcher.
Last month when I bought the iPhone 15 pro, I took it back home and restored from my iPhone 13. 30 minutes later, I had the 15 Pro looking exactly like what my iPhone 13 was. Apart from a few fussy apps, everything else was logged in and working as it used to on the previous phone. Did I miss the experience of setting it up and customising it from scratch? I don't think so.

I used to do that in my previous Androids. There even was a time when I used to install another custom ROM on the phone. Was it fun? Yes. Was it useful? I don't feel so.
dragonfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 15:02   #32433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Did I miss the experience of setting it up and customising it from scratch? I don't think so. ... ... ... There even was a time when I used to install another custom ROM on the phone. Was it fun? Yes. Was it useful? I don't feel so.
Everyone has their reasons for what we choose to do and what benefits it may have. Yours are yours.

The iPhone experience does sound good. I'm all for making the process simple. But Apple... I just won't and don't go there. That's my choice.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 17:10   #32434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post
Finally got my lavender S23.

I removed several Samsung apps, disabled multiple others and replaced a few with their Google counterparts (Phone, Messages, GBoard, etc).
How did you remove samsung apps? Is there any tool required to do the same?

For me, am unable to remove any of them. It only allows 'disable' option.
Old 6th February 2024, 17:59   #32435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

There's a Samsung Debloat Guide URL in this thread in previous posts. It's not too difficult.. give it a try
Old 6th February 2024, 23:28   #32436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

I did not completely debloat, as that would mean way more work than I was willing to do. It was more of placing stuff out of sight and out of usage.

I uninstalled as many Samsung and unnecessary apps that I could do, disabled as many as I could do too.

And for the ones that I could neither disable nor uninstall, I installed the alternative apps that I wanted, removed the Samsung ones from being the default app and blocked all their permissions, and then put them in the deep sleeping drawer.

This meant Google Phone, Google Messages, Google Photos, Firefox browser, Google Contacts, Google Keyboard (GBoard) and so on replaced their Samsung counterparts.

If you really want to go in-depth and permanently kill the heck out of all such bloatware, the following guide might be useful to you. This is what @dmplog has referred to, I think. I personally felt that going the ADB route was too much effort for me, that's all.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post5566449 (De-Bloating Android Devices | Xiaomi, Realme, Oppo, Vivo, iQOO)

Hope that helps.
Small Bot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 01:53   #32437
BHPian

I have been using OP12 for more than a week now. Bought it on the day pre orders were released. Got a free wireless charger. My older OP7T was showing its age. I upgraded the battery and reinstalled the OS fresh from OP but had too many issues. Sim 2 would go offline often, random restarts and an overall mess. This was without upgrading to the latest version of oxygen OS.

So finally decided to bite the bullet and ordered OP12. Bought the 16GB/512GB version in black. Didn't find the 1TB version though! May be they have kept it for later. I got nearly 16K for my older 7T as part of the exchange. Its a solid phone but the battery backup could have been better. I get about 4-5 ours of screen on time with about 36-38 hour of battery. A far cry from my older OP7t which i used to charge atleast twice a day but still a bit underwhelming to be honest.
Havent tested the charging speed with the included 100W charger. Using older 7T charger itself. I hope i can hold on to it for atleast another 4 years!

Last edited by naveenvenkatesh : 9th February 2024 at 01:57.
naveenvenkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 09:08   #32438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
I have been using OP12 for more than a week now. Bought it on the day pre orders were released. Got a free wireless charger. My older OP7T was showing its age. I upgraded the battery and reinstalled the OS fresh from OP but had too many issues. Sim 2 would go offline often, random restarts and an overall mess. This was without upgrading to the latest version of oxygen OS.

So finally decided to bite the bullet and ordered OP12. Bought the 16GB/512GB version in black. Didn't find the 1TB version though! May be they have kept it for later. I got nearly 16K for my older 7T as part of the exchange. Its a solid phone but the battery backup could have been better. I get about 4-5 ours of screen on time with about 36-38 hour of battery. A far cry from my older OP7t which i used to charge atleast twice a day but still a bit underwhelming to be honest.
Havent tested the charging speed with the included 100W charger. Using older 7T charger itself. I hope i can hold on to it for atleast another 4 years!
What has been your experience with Oxygen OS updates? Do you think OP will honour their 4 year major/5 year patch commitment ? And did you have any security/data privacy concerns considering the origin of the maker ?
Old 9th February 2024, 09:24   #32439
Distinguished - BHPian

Got the new Oneplus 12R recently (ordered on 6th Feb through Amazon and got it the same day in the evening). It is the iron grey 16Gb/256 Gb version.
Overall quite a good experience so far and I am moving up from my 3 year old One plus 9R to this.
While the change is not as monumental (as I would have hoped!) But the screen quality, touch response, speed and camera are much better. The major jump is in the battery. Which is 5500mah compared to the 4500mah in the 9R.
The phone change was also quite seamless with Oneplus clone app and took around 45 min.

I have been a Oneplus user for 8.5 years now and have owned so far:
oneplus x, 3T, 6T, 9R and now moved to 12R
I believe in changing my phone in 3 years and hence take the 3 series generations :-)

Even all my previous phones are still in working condition (but given away to other family members, Except for my 9R which I will keep as a backup phone.)

I got the 12R for around 43,700 after the bank discount of 5% on my Icici card. Also got a Oneplus z2 buds free along with the phone as part of the launch offer.

I was actually surprised to see that the Oneplus 12R sold out within 3 min of launch which happened on 12 noon on the 6th as they probably released a limited quantity. Next sale is now on 13th at 12 noon.

Last edited by Behemoth : 9th February 2024 at 09:27.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 10:27   #32440
Senior - BHPian

So my wife managed to drop her Pixel 4A for the second time and the once replaced display died again

The requirement was the replacement phone had to be small, take good photos and be fast enough for day to day usage which eventually led to the S23.

Got it off the Samsung corporate portal for 48k (128gb) and think it's a great phone at this price and future proof for the next 3-4 years. Unfortunately we don't have too many options apart from the Pixel and S23/24 if one needs a small, compact device.
fiat_tarun is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 23:53   #32441
BHPian

Quote:
What has been your experience with Oxygen OS updates? Do you think OP will honour their 4 year major/5 year patch commitment ? And did you have any security/data privacy concerns considering the origin of the maker ?
I think they will. I find no reason to doubt that. I have no issues with security. I have been with OP since 3T, then 7T and now 12. I briefly flirted with Pixel 2Xl but google's step motherly treatment of Indian market didn't go down well with me. So switched back to OP and have no issues so far. I like how OP has made india their global base for operations. Their phones are cheaper in India than in developed countries!
Old 10th February 2024, 02:26   #32442
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
I think they will. I find no reason to doubt that. I have no issues with security. I have been with OP since 3T, then 7T and now 12. I briefly flirted with Pixel 2Xl but google's step motherly treatment of Indian market didn't go down well with me. So switched back to OP and have no issues so far. I like how OP has made india their global base for operations. Their phones are cheaper in India than in developed countries!
Except Pixels, you can't expect timely updates from any other manufacturer. You will get the first update on time (maybe weeks apart), but after then it slows down. When I had the OnePlus 7, I remember that the first update came within a month, but the second one was late by about 6 months. Same with my Motorola too, the first one was fast, but the Android 13 update took more than a year.
Old 10th February 2024, 16:47   #32443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Had prebooked the S24 Ultra (VIP pass) on Samsung Corporate Site. Currently using S23 Ultra. Post the launch, really felt the S24 Ultra to be underwhelming compared to its previous gen, except the 'AI' specific functions. Now that those AI specfic functionalities have been announced for S23 Ultra, about time to cancel the pre booking!
Prebooked on 03Jan, Refund received on 03Feb. Couldn't help but notice that Samsung's exchange valuation for upgrades are low, say compared to OnePlus.
Old 15th February 2024, 11:44   #32444
Senior - BHPian

My wife wanted to know if there's a biometric/pin lock for instagram app on Android. I could not find it in the app settings and wanted to know if I am missing something.
Old 15th February 2024, 12:32   #32445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
My wife wanted to know if there's a biometric/pin lock for instagram app on Android. I could not find it in the app settings and wanted to know if I am missing something.
A hidden drawer (Atleast that is available in oneplus, if you swipe to right/left from drawer), will ask you to setup a password. Not sure about other apps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks