Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2024, 23:45   #32341
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

The biggest problem with Whatsapp, Signal, etc, for some people, is the lack of essential privacy. That is to say, as soon as you set up it up, someone who has your contact details can find you.

Some time last year, I think I read about a messaging app where this was not the case. Others do not get to know that you have it unless you tell them.

This is the main requirement. Otherwise, I seem to remember that it could communicate phone to phone without those phones being on a general network. I might have dreamt this bit up!

I made a mental note. But my mental notes are a long way from being indelible! I now have no clue what it is called or where I read about it.

Any suggestions?
Old 7th January 2024, 00:31   #32342
BHPian

Dear Thad, if Peer2Peer and privacy are your main needs then the choices are quite limited.

Try https://briarproject.org/

Disclaimer - I've not tried it or researched it. As it routes over Onion/Tor and is Open Source it should be safe. Try first on a burner phone de linked from your primary accounts etc.
digitalnirvana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 00:43   #32343
BHPian

Is there a good android app to remove junk /cache files? I see a number of apps on Play Store but I am not sure which is a good and reliable one that does the job without compromising privacy and security!
Old 7th January 2024, 00:58   #32344
Senior - BHPian

Picked up a Pixel 8 replacing my ~1.5year old Z Flip 4. Have always been a fan of the Google phones and was a big time Nexus user back in the day.

With all the year end discounts and old phone value got it for 25k. I don't game on my phone so the Pixel with all its SW magic works for me and I like how compact it is.
Old 7th January 2024, 01:31   #32345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Picked up a Pixel 8 replacing my ~1.5year old Z Flip 4. Have always been a fan of the Google phones and was a big time Nexus user back in the day.

With all the year end discounts and old phone value got it for 25k. I don't game on my phone so the Pixel with all its SW magic works for me and I like how compact it is.
How was your experience with the Z Flip 4? Did the inner protector come off during your ownership?
Old 7th January 2024, 03:28   #32346
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Try https://briarproject.org/
As it routes over Onion/Tor and is Open Source it should be safe.
Thanks very much! I'll look into that tomorrow (or today, as normal people call it!).

The name seems familiar. This might well be the one I read about.

Tor is a bit of a concern, for performance. I've never needed to use it, but have played with it a couple of times and found it deadly slow. But that's for web: it doesn't matter if messages take a few minutes. In fact, these days, I find SMS to be very poor and unreliable.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 04:13   #32347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Some time last year, I think I read about a messaging app where this was not the case. Others do not get to know that you have it unless you tell them.

This is the main requirement.
Was it Session?

I'm not 100% sure if this next part satisfies all your requirements but there may also be other ways. For instance:
  1. Set Telegram up with a burner number (you only need it for initial setup in Telegram)
  2. Change Telegram's privacy settings so nobody can see your burner phone number
  3. You're ready to message people and they will not be able to see the burner or your regular number.
You need their phone number/Telegram handle to start the conversation and if they learn your Telegram handle, they can find you. This should prevent your existing contacts from knowing you're on Telegram.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 06:19   #32348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The biggest problem with Whatsapp, Signal, etc, for some people, is the lack of essential privacy. That is to say, as soon as you set up it up, someone who has your contact details can find you.
There were rumours last May that WhatsApp would introduce a Username feature. Hopefully one need not share the phone number if they introduce this.
DigitalOne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 10:10   #32349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
How was your experience with the Z Flip 4? Did the inner protector come off during your ownership?
Loved the Flip experience, more so because I didn't get the Razr when it was the craze as everyone had one

The flip modes for photography, selfies with the main camera were some standout features I used the most. It was also almost always a conversation starter with most people intrigued by the folding screen.

The stock screen protector started peeling off in 6 months and after a lot of experimentation, found a good replacement from gadgetshieldz which is a wet application, hence easy to apply and seemed to be holding up well too.

Once you get over the flip part, you outgrow the phone pretty fast as most tasks become a 2 step process. The Flip 5 with the bigger front screen should be better here.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 10:16   #32350
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Is there a good android app to remove junk /cache files? I see a number of apps on Play Store but I am not sure which is a good and reliable one that does the job without compromising privacy and security!
Google has their own app for this called 'Files'. In many smartphones, this app will be in the app drawer. If you don't have it, go to playstore and type FILES BY GOOGLE.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20240107_101509_files-google.jpg
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2024, 14:35   #32351
BHPian

I am looking for an Android phone under 25K INR. Main requirements are good battery life, and good camera. 8GB/128GB memory should be good enough. I would like to use the phone for ~ 4 years. An OS without much bloatware is preferred.
Suggestions, please.
vinodh_eee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 08:54   #32352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodh_eee View Post
I am looking for an Android phone under 25K INR. Main requirements are good battery life, and good camera. 8GB/128GB memory should be good enough. I would like to use the phone for ~ 4 years. An OS without much bloatware is preferred.
Suggestions, please.
Motorola Edge 40 Neo?
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 09:04   #32353
BHPian

Quote:
Suggestions, please.
If you can flex on the budget just a little bit, I'd suggest either the Moto Edge 40 or the OnePlus Nord CE3.

Both offer quite clean experiences, with Moto having near stock Android and almost nil bloatware. The curved edges of the Edge 40 might be a cause for concern, but it's nothing that a good back cover won't solve.

Or if you don't want to spend that much, get the Moto G84, it's more value for money at 19K, and you're set for the next three years. (I'm thinking hard about getting this one to replace my Moto G82).

If your key is to avoid any bloatware, I'd suggest to avoid all the other -mi's and -o's in the market. That said, if you're ok with just a slight bit of additional software, please check out the latest Redmi Note series. They're also quite value for money.
Small Bot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 12:19   #32354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Motorola Edge 40 Neo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post
If you can flex on the budget just a little bit, I'd suggest either the Moto Edge 40 or the OnePlus Nord CE3.

Or if you don't want to spend that much, get the Moto G84, it's more value for money at 19K, and you're set for the next three years. (I'm thinking hard about getting this one to replace my Moto G82).

If your key is to avoid any bloatware, I'd suggest to avoid all the other -mi's and -o's in the market. That said, if you're ok with just a slight bit of additional software, please check out the latest Redmi Note series. They're also quite value for money.
How is the real world performance of Moto's camera? Moto G84 is cheaper than Edge 40 Neo even though the former has more RAM and Storage. Is it because the build quality of Edge 40 Neo is better?

Also, is there any real world difference in performance between Edge 40 and Edge 40 neo, in terms of camera performance, battery life and over-heating?
Old 14th January 2024, 12:35   #32355
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How is the real world performance of Moto's camera? Moto G84 is cheaper than Edge 40 Neo even though the former has more RAM and Storage. Is it because the build quality of Edge 40 Neo is better?
Also, is there any real world difference in performance between Edge 40 and Edge 40 neo, in terms of camera performance, battery life and over-heating?
There is a little known Indian website called 91mobiles.com. I find their smartphone reviews very comprehensive. Their camera reviews too are excellent, with multiple sample images taken from the phone. The subject matter/location of all photos are the same, so you can compare photo quality of two different phones, side by side.

So Google:

Motorola G84 91mobiles
Motorola Edge 40 Neo 91mobiles
Motorola Edge 40 91mobiles

Example:

Neo specs & sample camera images:
https://www.91mobiles.com/motorola-e...price-in-india
Neo full review:
https://www.91mobiles.com/hub/motoro...40-neo-review/

Last edited by SmartCat : 14th January 2024 at 12:45.
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks