Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2023, 05:54   #32326
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

As someone who has been away from the Android world for many years now, I need some help with purchase of an Android phone under the INR 20k limit, on either Flipkart or Amazon India.

This is required for a senior citizen whose major use would be for calls, social media browsing and occasional camera use. A good display would be a boon however a reliable device is preferable.

Current device is a Motorola G82 5G, which while brilliant when new, now has display issues in less than 1.5 years!

Are Samsungs in the lower segment still bloated?
Thanks to a helpful friend, the following options were presented to me, however would like your opinions on a good choice:

1.) Redmi Note 12 5G
2.) OnePlus Nord CE 3 Lite
Old 20th November 2023, 10:35   #32327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I need some help with purchase of an Android phone under the INR 20k limit, on either Flipkart or Amazon India.

This is required for a senior citizen whose major use would be for calls, social media browsing and occasional camera use. A good display would be a boon however a reliable device is preferable.
I can't comment on the reliability front yet - but for a similar use case I recently bought a Samsung F14 5G (also called M14 5G in Amazon) and will recommend this for others.

Display is very good, Battery lasts for 2 to 3 days, Most of the unnecessary apps can be uninstalled, Call clarity is good, and highly customizable for simple use cases of senior citizens.

It has 2 OS updates and 4 Yr security updates as well. It so far has not yet hanged or shown any slowness. Buy the 6GB RAM version.
sreerknair is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 11:29   #32328
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Are Samsungs in the lower segment still bloated?
Thanks to a helpful friend, the following options were presented to me, however would like your opinions on a good choice:

1.) Redmi Note 12 5G
Most phones in this price range do come with a fair share of bloatware, but most of them can be uninstalled, the Samsung M34/F34 are good options in this budget considering your requirements, but the prices are currently hiked after the Diwali sales, expecting a price drop in the next sale.

As regards other options, the POCO X5 Pro 5G is a good option considering the feature set, display, and SD778G chipset.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 19:02   #32329
BHPian

Quote:
Current device is a Motorola G82 5G, which while brilliant when new, now has display issues in less than 1.5 years!

... would like your opinions on a good choice:

1.) Redmi Note 12 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerknair View Post
I can't comment on the reliability front yet - but for a similar use case I recently bought a Samsung F14 5G (also called M14 5G in Amazon) and will recommend this for others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
..the Samsung M34/F34 are good options in this budget considering your requirements, but the prices are currently hiked after the Diwali sales, expecting a price drop in the next sale.

As regards other options, the POCO X5 Pro 5G is a good option considering the feature set, display, and SD778G chipset.
I have the Moto G82 as well! Excellent beater phone but slowing down slightly after 1.5 years of absolutely no-nonsense ownership. I need to be conscious of battery backup now.

I know someone who has the Redmi Note 12, and it's reliable phone, as long as the funky UI is not an issue for you. No issues till date, at all.

No idea about this specific OnePlus, but the general consensus I received from friends and family is that current OnePlus phones are nowhere near as good as they were, and several are dropping these phones from their wishlists.

The entry level Samsungs are probably value for money, but I only have heard of a lot of heating and display issues from any Samsung phone that's not S-series (feedback from family and friend circle, I mean), so please check out reviews of each specific phone before deciding. The ones listed might be actually really good.

If you can stomach a meh processor and a slightly less meh battery, the Moto Edge 40 Neo is a decent buy under 20K. Very pretty phone too. But I've heard of a few heating issues on Edge 40 Neo phones bought on Flipkart, so please try to check that out in retail stores.

I have no idea about Poco phones. The X5 seems great on paper though.

Last edited by Small Bot : 20th November 2023 at 19:07.
Small Bot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 20:31   #32330
BHPian

Is Moto the only company providing stereo speakers under 15-20k?

As far as I have checked on Amazon and Flipkart, no other company is providing stereo speakers in this budget. Any reviews on Moto G84 5g?

This is very important for old age people who mainly use phones for watching youtube or attend video calls on speaker phones.
Old 20th November 2023, 21:26   #32331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
I wouldn't mind a bigger screen, but the result often is a bigger phone. Not in the case of the 7 and 7A.

7A - 152 x 72.9 x 9 mm
7 - 155.6 x 73.2 x 8.7 mm

Just a 0.3mm difference in width between the two. All because of the thick side bezels. And the 7 is thinner. Am sure the 7 would be as easy/difficult to handle as the 7A.

6A should drop prices soon, I guess; and it's a more pocketable phone.
I had written the above some time ago. Yesterday I got to see a Pixel 7A first hand. The thick bezels are an eyesore.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-thumbnail_eac7490cdcfb411db5fff66f3ceeaa76.jpg

I have a hunch that they tried to make the bezels similar on all four sides to hide the thick chin and ended up with this contraption.
dragonfire is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th November 2023, 20:10   #32332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
My FIL is looking for a budget Android phone with a budget of ~10k (ok to up by 2k max if the features are good). His usage is primarily phone calls, WhatsApp, YouTube videos, and messages. I was looking at Samsung M14, Nokia G42 but seeing mixed reviews about them.

Any suggestions for phones within the budget?

Hey,
which phone did he buy eventually? I am looking for a budget phone for my dad. @everyone, Please suggest, budget is 12-13k. Had shortlisted Nokia G42, heard mixed reviews about it, but it has Snapdragon processor, so I am inclined for it.
Old 27th November 2023, 01:14   #32333
BHPian

Ended up picking Moto Edge 40 @25.5K for mom. This was selling for 24 during BBD sale a month ago. Was considering Samsung A series as well, found if you login using company id, discounts are significantly more under Samsung corporate program, comparable to BBD sale deals.

Samfromindia is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 14:11   #32334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
Hey,
which phone did he buy eventually? I am looking for a budget phone for my dad. @everyone, Please suggest, budget is 12-13k. Had shortlisted Nokia G42, heard mixed reviews about it, but it has Snapdragon processor, so I am inclined for it.
Sorry had missed seeing your post earlier. He bought the Samsung M14 just for ease of use & familiarity (his earlier phone was a Samsung one as well). He loves the bright screen and the form factor.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 14:19   #32335
BHPian

I have to buy a phone for my domestic help. What is the cheapest phone which can run Whatsapp? She is very careless and keeps dropping the phone. So, a rugged phone is needed.
Old 5th December 2023, 13:48   #32336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
I have to buy a phone for my domestic help. What is the cheapest phone which can run Whatsapp? She is very careless and keeps dropping the phone. So, a rugged phone is needed.
Only CAT makes rugged phones, if you go with companies like Samsung/Oneplus/Nokia/Mi etc., they will shatter if dropped.

I didn't go through the complete video but this should help in the right direction.

montsa007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 14:47   #32337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
Whichever phone you buy, get a Spigen cover. I am using it since 3 yrs on my Samsung phones and can vouch for the protection it offers. I have dropped my phone many times but touchwood, never cracked the screen.
StepUP! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 07:57   #32338
BHPian

So, will Samsung S24 be launched in India with an Exynos 2400 chip instead of an SD 8 Gen 3? I might think of going for the S23 only, if that's the case. Hopefully it stays on the Samsung corporate website for a while after the launch.
Old 14th December 2023, 10:41   #32339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post
So, will Samsung S24 be launched in India with an Exynos 2400 chip instead of an SD 8 Gen 3? I might think of going for the S23 only, if that's the case. Hopefully it stays on the Samsung corporate website for a while after the launch.
S23 5G 256GB available for around 65K in Amazon.
https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Galaxy...s%2C208&sr=8-9
Not sure why they have a listing at 79K also.
Old 14th December 2023, 17:20   #32340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
S23 5G 256GB available for around 65K in Amazon.
https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Galaxy...s%2C208&sr=8-9
Not sure why they have a listing at 79K also.
It is actually the reverse. The S23 256GB version is actually priced at 79K pretty much everywhere (before discounts kick in).

I'm quite leery about any seller who sells it at lesser than 70K...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks