Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2023, 18:00   #32311
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Guys, will Pixel 8 pro purchased from the US work in India without any issues?
It should work without any issues.. But I have a feeling, if you go to a service centre regarding some issue, they might not do it considering it's a US device.. But I'm not exactly sure about that.. But it will work flawlessly!
Old 20th October 2023, 12:54   #32312
Senior - BHPian

After long time a Samsung flagship is holding value compared to iPhones. This festival sale was really surprised to see Samsung S23 prices starting at around 75K with negligible discounts. The iPhone 14 was available at around 56K. Normally Samsung phone prices crash half with in a year of launch.
Old 20th October 2023, 13:42   #32313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
After long time a Samsung flagship is holding value compared to iPhones. This festival sale was really surprised to see Samsung S23 prices starting at around 75K with negligible discounts. The iPhone 14 was available at around 56K. Normally Samsung phone prices crash half with in a year of launch.
I don't think it has anything to do with Samsung holding value. Primary reason is S23 was launched in February this year. The S24 will launch next year around same time so S23 won't lose much value until S24 is launched.

Likewise iphone 14 was launched last year and iphone 15 is already launched last month that's why iphone 14 prices came down. Expect similar discount on S23 when S24 launches.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 15:02   #32314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with Samsung holding value. Primary reason is S23 was launched in February this year. The S24 will launch next year around same time so S23 won't lose much value until S24 is launched.

Likewise iphone 14 was launched last year and iphone 15 is already launched last month that's why iphone 14 prices came down. Expect similar discount on S23 when S24 launches.
Don't think so. It was launched 9 months back and was head on with just launched iPhone 15. S22 was selling at a jaw dropping 39K. So it is surprising to see S23 at almost double its predecessor's price.

With in months of launch Samsung prices used to crash. I got a S20 launched at 67K in Feb 2020 for 42K in OCT 2020.
S23 is a major success for Samsung. After a long time a Samsung flagship was on par with iPhone in battery life. I was planning an upgrade and was forced to ditch it for one more year due to high price.

Last edited by poloman : 20th October 2023 at 15:06.
Old 20th October 2023, 15:46   #32315
BHPian

That said, I still would expect that the S23 will drop in price once the S24 launches.
It'll be a very good phone to purchase in Q1 2024, as I expect it'll get OS updates till Android 17.
Small Bot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 16:31   #32316
Distinguished - BHPian

Pixel 7a (Flipkart) stands at 40k. I ever-so-nearly pressed the button ten days ago --- but I was planning to go out next day and spend 2 lakh on a new camera. And I did. The new phone as well just seemed over the top. Especially when it came to confessing to wife.

I have a fascination for this phone. I like the size (just can't get the wider aspect ratio I really want) and I'm keen to try the Pixel camera and general experience. I don't like the 128GB-no-expansion. Some people on XDA are saying that heating is really not a problem for non gamers, but location/navigation is not good and battery life and recharge time are dismal.

Phone repair shops are as ubiquitous as puncher shops these days, but I wish I could find a real Android wizard to unroot, return to stock, update/etc my phone. I'm sure that most of its flakiness is due to old software (it's still on Google 8!). With a clean software start (and a new battery) it could last me another few years.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2023, 15:47   #32317
BHPian

Got the one UI 6 aka Android 14 update on my s23 Ultra. Updated it and so far no issues.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20231031_123813_software-update.jpg
sairamboko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2023, 09:13   #32318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Got the one UI 6 aka Android 14 update on my s23 Ultra. Updated it and so far no issues.
Same here, I was not signed up for beta, but got the update within a day of global release. Not many signifacnt changes, but smooth to use. Noticed storage used has reduced by about 25GB, mainly in system storage .

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st November 2023 at 10:38. Reason: Typos
DetectiveMiles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 17:52   #32319
BHPian

Galaxy Z-Fold 4 screen issue

Hello all,

I have had a Galaxy Z-Fold 4 for over a year and 1 week after my warranty expired, the centre screen developed a black line in the centre and in a day's time, the big centre screen stopped responding!

I took it to the Samsung service centre and was told it would cost about 56-57k to replace the screen and the warranty on the new screen would only be 3 months!

Now I know for sure that I have not dropped the phone or damaged it in any way - there is not 1 scratch on it but the service centre claims this happens only when we drop the phone!

Anyhow, with only a 3-month warranty, I am not very for changing the screen --- any other places that can replace the screen for lesser?

Anybody else who has been through this? What did you do?
car-o-holic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 22:30   #32320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-o-holic View Post
Galaxy Z-Fold 4 screen issue

Anybody else who has been through this? What did you do?
Couple of years ago my S9+ had a green line issue that developed into a full green screen in a day exactly after a month after warranty expiry and I was quoted around 19k for screen replacement. Shot a mail to Samsung and was pleasantly surprised to get a free screen replacement. 6 months back my friends warranty expired Samsung fold faced the same issue and he was asked to pay 35k as screen replacement charges. Shot a mail and voila free screen replacement.

So now you know what to do
smrtdvl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 16:58   #32321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
A very common issues with Samsung Flagship phones. I lost my Galaxy s8 and not 9 to this exact issue.

Expensive flagship phones from Samsung are just not worth it anymore (Have owned S1, S3, note3, S7, S8, Note9). I have decided that it is time to switch over to Apple as Samsung flagships does not have a respectable contender in Android segment.

The only reason why I reluctantly moved to IPhone. Once Samsung Phones warranty dies, the screen goes with it
Old 18th November 2023, 13:09   #32322
Senior - BHPian

How do you disable shorts from youtube? Earlier there was an option to say you were not interested and it would disappear for sometime.

Can't seem to find that option now.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 16:27   #32323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
How do you disable shorts from Youtube?
Google/Youtube is not interested in providing the experience you want, only the one that suits it.

OK ok, YT is not nearly as bad as Instagram. At least with youtube, most suggested content is at least fairly relevant.
Old 18th November 2023, 17:42   #32324
BHPian

The issue is that I specifically call out a particular YT short as Not Interested or Don't show this channel. And YouTube seems to think creepily: This dude LIKES it! and keeps showing me the same stuff.

Especially cowdungish content from a certain Andrew Tate fellow, which makes want to clean my eyes and ears with Lysol.
Small Bot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2023, 22:18   #32325
BHPian

Was using the Vivo X80 Pro for the last 12+ months, and a month back ended up purchasing the S23 Ultra at a good deal. This phone was meant to replace my wife's broken Xiaomi 12 pro (broken screen, she has butter fingers, yet never uses a phone case). Long story short, she wants to replace the screen and continue using the 12 pro, which means I end up with the X80 Pro and the S23 Ultra, along with unplanned credit card charges.

I did use the S23 Ultra extensively during my trip to Masai Mara couple of weeks back, great zoom and daylight pics. My crib is around low light/night shots, where the Vivo X80 pro just blows away the S23 Ultra. Also, for some reason, I feel the Vivo X80 pro has more natural processing whereas the S23 Ultra feels more vivid. 5G connectivity and Call Consistency/Stability- X80 pro has an upper hand. However, videos shot on S23 Ultra looked natural. The S Pen on the Ultra is nifty, works good for taking meeting notes etc. Battery- The S23 Ultra has the lead. Android Auto connectivity- You can use any cable with the X80 Pro, and it just works fine, but the S23 Ultra is so damn picky, most cables don't work. GPS- at the same spot, the S23 Ultra shows 41 Satellites in view and 27 In Use. X80 Pro shows 94 in view and 31 in use.

Would like to know your thoughts/Comments if you have used these models.

Last edited by xotiq : 19th November 2023 at 22:24.
xotiq is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks