Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2021, 17:04   #30811
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Unlikely that this will happen for India as they are only merging Hydrogen OS with Color OS in China. The India versions are all Oxygen OS and in the near future there is no plan to migrate Oxygen based phones in specific markets to Color OS.
The new Nord 2 already has elements of Color OS integrated into it's Oxygen OS, like the settings and the camera app. It is inevitable at this point that Oxygen OS will be replaced by Color OS at some point. Might take a couple of years but it will happen soon.
Old 12th August 2021, 21:13   #30812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Unlikely that this will happen for India as they are only merging Hydrogen OS with Color OS in China. The India versions are all Oxygen OS and in the near future there is no plan to migrate Oxygen based phones in specific markets to Color OS.
Here is a source from 9to5google

OxygenOS is going to be a rebranding of coloros starting from Nord 2
Old 13th August 2021, 10:34   #30813
BHPian

Does AMOLED screens cause eye pain/headache? Have any members experienced the same, especially with Samsung AMOLED screens?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Why-Pu....270240.0.html
Old 13th August 2021, 13:21   #30814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
The biggest grouse with my current phone (Redmi Note 5, 3.5 year old) is that it has become "SLOW" and it is pretty frustrating some times to look at the phone slowly loading MS Teams meeting which I need to attend on the move. My typical usage is for attending MS teams meeting, outlook, YouTube, UPI, WhatsApp, Twitter. Some times I do open word, excel, ppt etc but no gaming.

Is there a fast phone in the 15-20K range which can give me a lag free experience, my only expectation is seamless switching between above mentioned applications.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Part of it may definitely be your device, but Microsoft apps just don't feel slick (or work/switch seamlessly) even on newer hardware (reference points: MS apps on a Moto Turbo XT1225 and OnePlus 7T).
The Samsung F62 is a good fit for your requirements. Do check it out. Considering you've used a Xiaomi, you may want to consider moving to a Samsung now. Sleeker interface and a super screen for the budget you're looking at.

Also, Microsoft apps on most devices are niggle-masters! If not for professional necessities, I wouldn't have even looked at Outlook or Teams! Also, for some reason, all MS apps are battery drainers...my OnePlus constantly sends the battery drain reminder everytime I open Outlook to simply reply to a mail.
Old 14th August 2021, 17:20   #30815
BANNED

I need to change my Mom' S7 Edge after 5 years, the battery is on death bed and the screen got innumerable cracks and scratches.

To give an impression of the possible grueling the probable handset would endure, all her uses are to make some calls, click pictures of squirrels and bird nests on her coconut trees and send those to her grand kids over Whatsapp. Last year I got an OP Nord version 1 for my dad and he is pretty happy with it. So, my obvious choice would have been OP Nord 2. But observing the amount of "Colorization" happened to Oxygen OS, put me to think why not include Oppo.

So, my current selections are OP Nord 2 or Oppo Reno 6 (not the pro). What my Mom would or rather I would appreciate is a cleaner OS with minimal nuisance and hardware that could drag for at least 4 years or so. The less amount of call that I would get from her that something is showing on the top of her phone, the better (phew).
I have never used a Color OS before, so how is the OS as per bloatware / adware / bloatware over the security update scenario? Can we uninstall the preinstalled craps in a Oppo? How does a Reno 6 fair against Nord 2?

N.B: I would not touch a Xiaomi with a barge pole for that pathetic OS. Also, I will not touch a Samsung below S series knowing the mess Galaxy store does to A and M series during updates. The Motorolas / Nokias available in our country are too budget oriented.

All your help and suggestions would be welcome and highly appreciated.
Old 15th August 2021, 18:08   #30816
Senior - BHPian

Need to change my aunt’s phone. Simple requirements: Decent battery life, camera, YouTube, WhatsApp video calls and normal calling. Memory is kinda important as they keep forwarding and storing WA videos. Budget 12-15k max. Any suggestions?

Looking at Moto G40(6GB/128GB). Any other suggestions? She’s not too keen on the chinese brands although motorola too is chinese owned now

Last edited by SoumenD : 15th August 2021 at 18:34.
Old 15th August 2021, 18:22   #30817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Need to change my aunt’s phone. Simple requirements: Decent battery life, camera, YouTube, WhatsApp video calls and normal calling. Memory is kinda important as they keep forwarding and storing WA videos. Budget 12-15k max. Any suggestions?

Looking at Moto G40(6GB/128GB). Any other suggestions? She’s not too keen on the chinese brands.
Samsung F22 or M32 or A22 (4G). Moto G40 is a brilliant choice at the price point.
VWAllstar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 18:30   #30818
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Looking at Moto G40(6GB/128GB). Any other suggestions? She’s not too keen on the chinese brands.
If you are willing to add in another 2k to your budget, you can get the M32 which is a solid non-Chinese device in this range-

https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Galaxy...283?th=1&psc=1
AYP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 18:40   #30819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looking at Moto G40(6GB/128GB). Any other suggestions? She’s not too keen on the chinese brands although motorola too is chinese owned now
I am in a similar situation too. I do consider Moto to be different than the standard "Chinese" ones due their origins and them retaining the original android experience sans any bloatware/UI/ads.
I think the Lenovo ownership has impacted the hardware only which also makes them more affordable.

After trying out multiple options in the 10-20k range and sidestepping the standard ​Chinese ones I think Moto G40 Fusion is a good choice if you're ok with the bulk.
If not going for the Moto I would suggest Galaxy M51. It is 20k now but I am done with the Exynos 9611 based Samsungs and this is the first mid range phone they have which isn't cutting any corner(I have come to expect older hardware from Samsung though).

Slightly OT but I have noticed that Snapdragon based phones fetch better resale than their Exynos counterparts but I may be wrong here.

Last edited by shancz : 15th August 2021 at 18:42. Reason: added reasoning
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 21:56   #30820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
but I am done with the Exynos 9611 based Samsungs and this is the first mid range phone they have which isn't cutting any corner(I have come to expect older hardware from Samsung though).

Slightly OT but I have noticed that Snapdragon based phones fetch better resale than their Exynos counterparts but I may be wrong here.
Any reason why you dislike the Exynos? And resale value for Phones are best not considered. I somehow dont find logic in their depreciation and valuation at different platforms.

Snapdragon is the traditional and more commonly known brand hence the perception that they are superior. Well they are to an extent but then Exynos and Dimensity arent much behind.
VWAllstar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 10:48   #30821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Simple requirements: Decent battery life, camera, YouTube, WhatsApp video calls and normal calling. Memory is kinda important as they keep forwarding and storing WA videos. Budget 12-15k max. Any suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
If you are willing to add in another 2k to your budget, you can get the M32 which is a solid non-Chinese device in this range-
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Samsung F22 or M32 or A22 (4G). Moto G40 is a brilliant choice at the price point.
Update: Booked Samsung M32 (6GB/128GB version). Since her usage is mainly visual (WA calls/YT) the super AMOLED probably would give a better experience than the LCD on Moto G40. Had performance been a criteria the snapdragon would have made more sense. Add to that the G40 is not available to be delivered in Chattisgarh.

Got 1250INR discount on icici debit card. So exshowroom 16999/- came to on-road 15749/- for the 6GB/128GB version

Last edited by SoumenD : 16th August 2021 at 10:51.
SoumenD is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 11:52   #30822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
1. Any reason why you dislike the Exynos?

2. And resale value for Phones are best not considered. I somehow dont find logic in their depreciation and valuation at different platforms.

3. Snapdragon is the traditional and more commonly known brand hence the perception that they are superior. Well they are to an extent but then Exynos and Dimensity arent much behind.
Let me share some background for better clarity, please bear with me for the long reply.
I have a M30s(Exy9611, 6000mAh, OneUI) and an Mi A3(SD66x, 4050mAh, Android One) at home, both bought together around Sept-Oct 2019 with the M30s dearer by 1-1.5k over the A3.

Some observations :
  • the M30s never had that "crisp" UI behaviour either when new or now, just feels underpowered IMHO even for normal tasks. Mi A3 on the other hand felt crisp and even now performs better than the M30s although that could also be due to the pure android experience on the A3.
  • Battery backup wise, on paper the M30s should be significantly superior to the A3 since its 6000mAh over the 4050mAh of the A3 but its not that big a difference. Although the battery backup has deteriorated noticeably after an year on the A3 though.
  • Keeping aside the aging on the A3(probably due to poorer quality) this indicates that the SD66x is a more efficient chipset than the Exynos under normal usage.
  • Network reception is weaker on the M30s as compared to the A3 or multiple other phones for that matter in areas with weaker network reception.
  • Mi A3 has that issue of the proximity sensor where the screen switches on during a call and unintended actions happen due to touchscreen pressing against the ear/cheek and random shutdowns both of them are confirmed by another Mi Note 7 user.

Coming to your questions :
  1. I don't dislike the Exynos 9611, would still chose the M30s over the A3 but based on my experience, if I am looking for a new phone I would like to stay away from it. Also I don't know how the other Exynos fare like the newer 98XX.
  2. Ditto on the resale, with my limited research, the only thing I could link was the Exynos vs SD relation, but its just a theory could be wrong.
    Using Amazon for reference if buying a M51 now, the exchange rates are :
    - M30s : 3300
    - Mi A3 : 4750
    Since I don't want to keep phones lying around without usage, exchange is the way to go so although minor but it is also a factor in favour of SD.
  3. In a way similar to the Intel vs AMD scenario. But my point was that Exynos being a Samsung product should be more optimal than a third party like SD on Samsung phones, like the Bionic with Apple(I understand that's a different ballgame).
    Have heard good things about Dimensity but no experience though, hope they do well.

Quote:
Update: Booked Samsung M32 (6GB/128GB version). Since her usage is mainly visual (WA calls/YT) the super AMOLED probably would give a better experience than the LCD on Moto G40.
Congrats, makes sense in your case. Samsung displays are pretty good. Guessing its a slightly tweaked version of the M30s I already have experienced, its pretty good.

Last edited by shancz : 16th August 2021 at 11:54. Reason: grammar
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 13:27   #30823
BHPian

Quote:
Update: Booked Samsung M32 (6GB/128GB version). Since her usage is mainly visual (WA calls/YT) the super AMOLED probably would give a better experience than the LCD on Moto G40.
Consider the eye fatigue/pain and headache some users are facing coz of PWM on Samsung AMOLED displays. Just couple of days back, I moved back into my backup device 'Asus M1 Pro' from recently bought 'A52' for this reason, and so have listed 'A52' on OLX now.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 17:57   #30824
BHPian

Have been a Samsung User since Note 1.
have been upgrading to different note series as and when needed.

Bought a Samsung S8 at launch due to borderless display feature ad camera. in about 1.8 years the display started acting weird. there was a yellow tint and in couple of days the display almost gave up. i.e. flickering, color changes making it useless.

Bought a Samsung note 9 (my current phone). Today - approx. 1.9 years i have the exact problem as my S8.

On googling I found out that its a pretty common issue and the only solution for this is to change the screen (haha, how simple isnt it). A brand Samsung makes screens which will go bad within 2 yrs no matter how well you maintain the phone.

So Im here to get some recommendation for a phone. The only reason i bough S8 was for its 1.8Aperture camera (it was pathetic but still good at low light etc). I Bought this note 9 for its 1.5Aperture camera and it was awesome and never let me down. so it was all about camera camera camera.

I just need a phone with good camera and large screen and not Samsung.

Any recommendation for a Ex-Samsung Fanboy?
Old 16th August 2021, 18:19   #30825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post

I just need a phone with good camera and large screen and not Samsung.

Any recommendation for a Ex-Samsung Fanboy?
If the budget permits, why not switch over to the other side of the pond
Large screen and a good camera are like the USP of the iPhone pro max series. (Apart from the OS support of course).

If you're heavily invested in the Android ecosystem, maybe the upcoming Pixel 6 series will excite you.
Shiftlock is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks