Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2021, 10:23   #30796
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
The Moto Edge 20 series page has gone live on Flipkart and it's coming next week. Two phones to land on our shores:

Cons will be small battery (3750 mah), no stereo speakers and only one major android update that Moto will provide.

If they don't mess up the price, I think my wait is finally over.
Aren't these the biggest downers? Anyway Moto has now not even been providing monthly updates and its more of bimonthly. And only one major android update. Looking at other specs this phone isn't going to less than 40 K for sure. Fusion is more like it if they can price it closer to 20K. But one major android update
nibedk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 10:55   #30797
BHPian

Quote:
The Moto Edge 20 series...

...only one major android update that Moto will provide.

If they don't mess up the price, I think my wait is finally over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
Aren't these the biggest downers? Anyway Moto has now not even been providing monthly updates and its more of bimonthly. And only one major android update.
AFAIK It's Google's policy now that manufacturers will have to provide atleast two years of major Android OS updates.

Motorola released some statement which was mistook my the media, they released some clarification soon after that:

Motorola edge 20 pro, edge 20 and edge 20 lite will receive at least 2 major android OS upgrades
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot-20210810-105251.jpg  

Last edited by tbppjpr : 10th August 2021 at 11:00.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 11:47   #30798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
AFAIK It's Google's policy now that manufacturers will have to provide atleast two years of major Android OS updates.

Motorola released some statement which was mistook my the media, they released some clarification soon after that:

Motorola edge 20 pro, edge 20 and edge 20 lite will receive at least 2 major android OS upgrades
The link below - Not a very promising path that moto plans. I was an avid Moto user till I saw the security updates becoming erratic. Have shifted to Nokia since then and they are the best (after Google of course). My 6.1 plus is still getting security updates and has got 2 major OS updates as well.

https://9to5google.com/2021/07/29/mo...update-policy/

They make pretty good phones and I never had any complain till they started dilly dallying on OS upgraded and security patches. From monthly now it has become officially bi-monthly but I remember even getting 1 security path in 3 months one time.
Old 10th August 2021, 12:08   #30799
Team-BHP Support

So I have been using the Oneplus Nord CE for the past few days. Copied all the data from the Pixel 2 XL and google backup recognized it and transferred over everything.

I think the Oneplus is an excellent choice for the 21.7K I paid for it (6GB/128GB). I have used the Samsung M51 and found it too bug and bulky and just never liked the One UI.

For the overall UI experience I would no ways pay 40K+ for the OnePlus 9 series. I am noy able to see what more they can offer for the 9 and 9R. If the 9 had wireless charging and IP68 for 50K then it would be a strong option. Apple offers IP rated for the SE at 30K.

The overall Oneplus experience is similar to Pixel. They even have the google dialler which does the background search when you type a name.

Positives:
- Brilliant screen 6.4 inch AMOLED with 90Hz.
- Very close to stock Android UI. No bloat apart from oneplus store app and 1-2 more file and gallery app. UI is clean.
- Battery life. Even with heavy usage I always have 40% battery at the end of the day.
- Very sleek and small. It's narrower than Pixel and lighter with bigger battery.
- Does not feel like a 20K phone. Feel premium even though plastic.

Negatives:
- Sometimes stutters once in a while. Worried if progressively this will get worse as storage increases.
- Terrible calibration of proximity sensor. It is just so sensitive and the screen comes on 3-4 times during every call. Highly irritating.
- Missing the cool Pixel features. The phone is long and to pull the notification drawer needs a second hand or shifting your grip. In the pixel, swipe on the finger print scanner up or down to navigate the notification tray.
- Single speaker jars. Should be stereo speakers at this price point.
- Strictly average cameras. A 2017 Pixel beats the 2021 mid ranger hands down in image quality.

My Pixel has gone for a battery replacement and I think once it is back I wont be going back to it as primary. The Pixel will be backup now and mainly for camera when travelling.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 10th August 2021 at 12:18.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 15:02   #30800
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Aren't these the biggest downers? Anyway Moto has now not even been providing monthly updates and its more of bimonthly. And only one major android update. Looking at other specs this phone isn't going to less than 40 K for sure. Fusion is more like it if they can price it closer to 20K. But one major android update
Sorry for the noob question, but how does security updates frequency matter if the phone has Knox security or ThinkShield in Moto's case built in? That should be sufficient to take care of my banking transactions right, or am I missing something?

I am hardly worried about Android version upgrades. I had used an LG flagship four years ago, that did not get any update at all yet the phone seemed just fine to use. If I want to change the look and feel, I will just download a launcher or an icon pack.

On a different note, read on Twitter today that another OnePlus Nord 2 exploded (one did last week as well). Very likely to be a design flaw and if OnePlus is responsible enough, they should be recalling the entire batch. For now, please stay away from this model is what I would advice.

Last edited by Oxy : 10th August 2021 at 15:10.
Old 10th August 2021, 15:08   #30801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Need a phone for a school teacher who uses it to conduct video classes for few hours in a day. A big screen, good battery backup and a good processor. And hassle free experience. Looking for a clean OS as she can't 'clean' bloatwares. Budget upto 25k.

What should be the recommendations?

I have heard good things about OnePlus phones. Would the Nord CE or Nord 2 good options?

I am lost in the sea of Samsung models. My backup options are Pixel 4a (I am a 3a user since 2 years) or a Moto G60 (friend is happy with his purchase).
I would suggest a used Desktop/Laptop Computer instead.
Can be bought for as little at Rs 10K.

And it will be thousand times easier to handle during Video calls, Preparations of PPT/Presentations, screen sharing etc.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 15:21   #30802
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
I would suggest a used Desktop/Laptop Computer instead.
Can be bought for as little at Rs 10K.

And it will be thousand times easier to handle during Video calls, Preparations of PPT/Presentations, screen sharing etc.
She already has a laptop at home. Phone is handy and she doesn't want to carry an extra device when going to school.

For now, given the stock Android is the preference, we are inclined towards Moto G60.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 15:21   #30803
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the noob question, but how does security updates frequency matter if the phone has Knox security or ThinkShield in Moto's case built in? That should be sufficient to take care of my banking transactions right, or am I missing something?

I am hardly worried about Android version upgrades. I had used an LG flagship four years ago, that did not get any update at all yet the phone seemed just fine to use. If I want to change the look and feel, I will just download a launcher or an icon pack.
Security patches provide updates for any loopholes found in the OS, plus any stability fixes and stuff. Its makes the overall experiecne better. Any other Anti Virus may take a little longer to integrate any additional security measures. Quite a few times the first versions usually have some bugs not so much for phone which are mostly under Android One program but mostly with the ones who put their own skins on top of Android. Think of it as any software updates for car infotainment or Windows patches. You mayn't get affected directly but are still exposed.

I am still ok with no upgrades at all but then prices need to comedown drastically. The whole point with these smart phones is the ecosystem be it AppleOS or Android else they are nothing but gloried touch phones.
nibedk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 15:40   #30804
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Security patches provide updates for any loopholes found in the OS, plus any stability fixes and stuff. Its makes the overall experiecne better.
Thanks, makes sense.

The Nokias these days are no good. I really tried hard to like the Nokia G20, but couldn't
Old 10th August 2021, 15:51   #30805
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, makes sense.

The Nokias these days are no good. I really tried hard to like the Nokia G20, but couldn't
The Nokias these days in India are no good. I really tried hard to like the Nokia G20, but couldn't - Auto correct

Just look at their international line up. They have a product mostly for every type of customer.

May be supply chain issues due to Covid and rationalization of their product line up (from numerals to alphanumeric series) . Expecting it to get sorted in next 6 months
Old 10th August 2021, 17:18   #30806
BHPian

Quote:
Security patches provide updates for any loopholes found in the OS, plus any stability fixes and stuff. Its makes the overall experiecne better.
Plus some of the people use their phones as a BYOD devices. Most of the organizations require the phone models require regular Security Updates, whereas BYOD gets disabled on phone if the Security Patch is older than 6 months.
dmplog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 11:12   #30807
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

The biggest grouse with my current phone (Redmi Note 5, 3.5 year old) is that it has become "SLOW" and it is pretty frustrating some times to look at the phone slowly loading MS Teams meeting which I need to attend on the move. My typical usage is for attending MS teams meeting, outlook, YouTube, UPI, WhatsApp, Twitter. Some times I do open word, excel, ppt etc but no gaming.

Now, I am not sure if the issue is with my phone being old ( mostly it is) OR it is with MS applications which are typically termed "inefficiently written". Especially when I have to quickly switch between Outlook and MS teams to check email and reply to call, it takes good amount of time. I tried cleaning apps and caches etc. but not much improvement.

Is there a fast phone in the 15-20K range which can give me a lag free experience, my only expectation is seamless switching between above mentioned applications.
recshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 11:45   #30808
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
...Now, I am not sure if the issue is with my phone being old ( mostly it is) OR it is with MS applications which are typically termed "inefficiently written"...
Part of it may definitely be your device, but Microsoft apps just don't feel slick (or work/switch seamlessly) even on newer hardware (reference points: MS apps on a Moto Turbo XT1225 and OnePlus 7T).
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 11:45   #30809
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
I had Reno 10x and its junk uninstallable apps and notifications were endless. I had to permanently block their notifications as there was no way to stop in app settings.

Oneplus only positive was its OS since it stopped being a cheaper alternative couple of years back. Switching to ColorOS is probably the end of OP.
It's official now. OnePlus 8 series are going to be updated to the latest ColorOS in China. Indian units are definitely going to be the next in line, though the company so far has not confirmed it yet.

https://www.mysmartprice.com/gear/on...um=msp_youtube

Last edited by Oxy : 12th August 2021 at 11:48.
Old 12th August 2021, 12:52   #30810
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's official now. OnePlus 8 series are going to be updated to the latest ColorOS in China. Indian units are definitely going to be the next in line, though the company so far has not confirmed it yet.

https://www.mysmartprice.com/gear/on...um=msp_Youtube
Unlikely that this will happen for India as they are only merging Hydrogen OS with Color OS in China. The India versions are all Oxygen OS and in the near future there is no plan to migrate Oxygen based phones in specific markets to Color OS.

Most Viewed