Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2021, 15:20   #30736
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
The Nord 2 is out and according to reviews, the move to ColorOS is now official...
Oh god, I had an oppo phone with this abomination a couple of years ago.

It would not allow me to change the default browser.
It would not allow me to change the default sms.

As I mentioned a page or three back, I got rid of that phone immediately after I returned from the trip I had to make. Worst phone experience ever. Is it still like that? What about boot unlock and rooting?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 15:24   #30737
BHPian

I had Reno 10x and its junk uninstallable apps and notifications were endless. I had to permanently block their notifications as there was no way to stop in app settings.

Oneplus only positive was its OS since it stopped being a cheaper alternative couple of years back. Switching to ColorOS is probably the end of OP.
AnandB is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 18:31   #30738
Team-BHP Support

I haven't bothered updating my OnePlus device to Android 11.

It works perfectly well on 10, app security is now handled directly via PlayStore anyway and I'm not a huge stickler for the monthly Android patches.

I've turned off all download options in the relevant section so OnePlus can't sneak the update in somehow
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 19:18   #30739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I haven't bothered updating my OnePlus device to Android 11.

It works perfectly well on 10.
From what I heard from friends, they are repenting upgrading their OP to Android 11. Older phones simply can't run effectively with newer updates. In my case, I have the OP 5T and it has thankfully reached the update ceiling which is capped at Android 10.

Father updated his Samsung M31s to Android 11 and damn, the phone has become schizophrenic!
Old 23rd July 2021, 20:07   #30740
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
...Older phones simply can't run effectively with newer updates...
There's a bunch of things impacting user experience: hardware limitations, planned obsolescence etc. No point getting knickers in a twist about staying 'current' in an age where every new model is a gen older within a year, often half of that.

Some tech reviewer said it, and 'Buy a gadget for what it does today, not what's promised for the future'.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd July 2021 at 20:32. Reason: typo
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 08:35   #30741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
If you are like me and have 498+ apps on your phone and have decided to finally clean up, I have a suggestion for you:

ADB App Control
Can this remove the bloatware from unrooted devices?

I need to remove some of these annoying 'samsung' apps from A52. Does any here know, how to remove bloatware from this specific device?
Old 24th July 2021, 09:38   #30742
BHPian

Edit:
Did you try this?
https://r1.community.samsung.com/t5/...t/td-p/5817510

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Can this remove the bloatware from unrooted devices?

I need to remove some of these annoying 'samsung' apps from A52. Does any here know, how to remove bloatware from this specific device?
This tool will disable, not remove bloatware. I don't think you can remove most of these preloaded apps, but you can disable them without root. I haven't used it to disable bloatware, so I can't say for sure, but it is a very easy tool to use, so you could try and report back.

Last edited by mvadg : 24th July 2021 at 09:49.
Old 24th July 2021, 09:44   #30743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Older phones simply can't run effectively with newer updates.
Depends on where you get the update. I would for sure not trust an OEM update after say a year or a year and half of purchase. It is more likely pushed to cripple your device. Planned obsolescence is very much real.

That doesn't mean older phones can't run latest software. I'm replying to you from a 3.5 year old Redmi Note 5 Pro running Android 11 and July security patch. It is a mid ranger which I bought for around 16k. I'm still daily driving it and I'm pretty sure that it has got only smoother over the updates. If you have a device with an easily unlockable bootloader, and don't mind spending a couple of hours on a laptop, I would certainly suggest taking a look at custom ROMs. It could very well be worth your time.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 10:25   #30744
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Oh god, I had an oppo phone with this abomination a couple of years ago.

It would not allow me to change the default browser.
It would not allow me to change the default sms.

As I mentioned a page or three back, I got rid of that phone immediately after I returned from the trip I had to make. Worst phone experience ever. Is it still like that? What about boot unlock and rooting?
Yes, Color Os is the worst, i had oppo F7 for about one year bought it for 22k. It has a ton of bloatware but the main problem is how the os deals with apps, it wont allow any app to run in background after sometime even if we disable battery optimization and all. Fitness bands wont work properly because it gets disconnected after some time. But their phones are good looking and have good battery backup because of these over aggressive optimization.
splitsecond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 15:59   #30745
Oxy
BHPian

The Poco F3 GT was opened for pre-order from today. I found the introductory price of 25k excellent for what it offers. Sadly, the base variant went out of stock within a couple of minutes. How does something go out of stock in the Pre order stage? I had heard sometime back that the government had put a ban on these fake flash sales, seems this has had zero effect.

Last edited by Oxy : 24th July 2021 at 16:01.
Oxy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 17:16   #30746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
The Poco F3 GT was opened for pre-order from today. I found the introductory price of 25k excellent for what it offers. Sadly, the base variant went out of stock within a couple of minutes. How does something go out of stock in the Pre order stage? I had heard sometime back that the government had put a ban on these fake flash sales, seems this has had zero effect.
I dont think we 'normal' guys are going to get these launches. Especially with Flipkart, i have always had them unavailable or not deliverable. Its a joke! Amazon in a way is very judicious and much better with their deals and stock availability.

Poco F3 GT at 25K is a steal deal. Apart from the OS the phone is a true flagship killer. Those physical buttons and hinges to hold the phone while gaming is a big boon.
Old 28th July 2021, 19:26   #30747
BHPian

What would be a good android phone upgrade from OnePlus 7 Pro under 30k? I need a good camera. That's my only primary requirement. If the native camera sucks, I don't mind modding a Gcam in if it's easy to.
Old 29th July 2021, 11:48   #30748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
What would be a good android phone upgrade from OnePlus 7 Pro under 30k? I need a good camera. That's my only primary requirement. If the native camera sucks, I don't mind modding a Gcam in if it's easy to.
I recently replaced my OnePlus 7 Pro with the Pixel 4a. The camera is amazing with the form factor and light weight being an added bonus.
Old 29th July 2021, 17:05   #30749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi.Knight View Post
I recently replaced my OnePlus 7 Pro with the Pixel 4a. The camera is amazing with the form factor and light weight being an added bonus.
Thanks for your input. How's Iqoo phones? Anyone using them here?
Old 30th July 2021, 18:40   #30750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Thanks for your input. How's Iqoo phones? Anyone using them here?
Got a IQOO Z3 for my mother in law as she was not happy with her Nokia 6.1 plus.

Just setup the phone and played around a bit. Not very enthused by the software - lot of junk, much similar to MIUI. Coming from Android One am sure she is going to realize pretty soon that it was a mistake.

Other than that the phone looks good. Very fast and good camera. I hope there would be a PixelExperience ROM available for it in the near future.

Last edited by civic-sense : 30th July 2021 at 18:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks