Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2021, 08:08   #30601
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
As for Samsung, I hope the new generation phones age better. We had very bad experience with 3 samsung phones over the years and have avoided them since then.
Agreed with the earlier ones. Even my S6 Edge slowed down considerably with age.

However, my S9 is now 3 years old. No slowdowns, no sluggishness. Working really nice & stable, with all the updates. Frankly, I love this phone's size too (not a big fan of XL screens) and think will hold onto it for another year minimum.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 19:49   #30602
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Gsmarena pics are not to scale. To see the actual size difference try this.
Thanks. One can see that the 4a beats the A1 on screen height even though the body is quite a lot shorter. However, the screen width comparison shows it to be substantially narrower. Adjectives there are subjective, and amounting to: too narrow for me, I wish It had been made a wide ratio.
Old 15th June 2021, 20:16   #30603
BHPian

Guys, need your suggestion please

My faithful 4+year old OnePlus 3 died today - went into the reboot-loop and is not powering up. So now, I'm looking for a phone - pretty urgently and that's where I need your suggestions.

I'm looking for a phone around 30K which has no/minimal bloatware; with a good camera quality. I'm not at all a gamer - so, questions on the gaming/GPU stuff are better left unasked.

After using OnePlus for all these years, it has grown on me. I especially love the alert-slider feature which no other phone provides.

I kinda zeroed in on OnePlus 9R (have some Croma points that will make it to 30K) - but am told that the camera is kinda ok-ok types.

Pixel 4a - A bit old isn't it? Or, is it still a good-to-go phone?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Old 15th June 2021, 20:51   #30604
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToThePoint View Post
May I suggest you to head over to gsmarena.com and search the model you looking for to get all the specs including l * w * h and such. ...
I usually consult that site for specs, although I had not thought to do that comparison.

Even so, they give the diagonal, the pixels * pixels, and the aspect ratio.

Wondering: if one knows the diagonal and the ratio, is there a formula to deduce the length of the two sides? Numerate people can do a huge amount with right-angle triangles --- but I am a number dumbo <blush>
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 21:12   #30605
BHPian

I'm looking for a phone to replace my 5.5 year old Nexus 6 within a budget of Rs 30k. The top contender is the Pixel 4a. I had also considered the iPhone SE, but the 4a seems like a better overall package.
There is a rumor that the Pixel 5a will launch in another month or two. Pricing is expected to be around 32-35k, and I am willing to stretch to that.
My question now is whether I should wait for the 5a or buy the 4a (whose price has just dropped to 27k) now?
Any other suggestions also welcome.
Old 16th June 2021, 08:59   #30606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Guys, need your suggestion please
With the assumption that you keep your phones for long period, I would say that if you can get a later model which meets your needs, go for that one. In that price range, two other options which come to mind are the Samsung A series 52 (6GB/128GB at 23,499/-) and A72 (8GB/128GB at 30,999/-). These prices are as per the banner on home page after factoring in some card discount and maybe an exchange as well, did not check in detail. Both phones are IP 67 rated with a higher refresh rate as well which are added plus over 4A. Some fellow members have purchased the A52 and are quite happy with the device, as mentioned few pages back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
My question now is whether I should wait for the 5a or buy the 4a (whose price has just dropped to 27k) now?
Any other suggestions also welcome.
I would recommend waiting for the 5A instead of going for the 4A, since you do not need a new mobile immediately.

Cheers,
S

Last edited by aah78 : 18th June 2021 at 01:13. Reason: Quotes trimmed.
sukhoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 09:21   #30607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I usually consult that site for specs, although I had not thought to do that comparison.
You could, but why bother?
Go here: https://mobiledevicesize.com/compare/

Last edited by aah78 : 18th June 2021 at 01:14. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 16th June 2021, 09:39   #30608
BHPian

Quote:

Even so, they give the diagonal, the pixels * pixels, and the aspect ratio.

Wondering: if one knows the diagonal and the ratio, is there a formula to deduce the length of the two sides? Numerate people can do a huge amount with right-angle triangles --- but I am a number dumbo <blush>
We can easily derive a formula as

Height, y = d*b/sqrt(a^2+b^2)

Where, d - diagonal, ratio = a:b

And width x = sqrt(d^2-y^2)

For a ratio of 9:16 and dia of 6 inch, I got a width of 2.94'' and height of 5.23 inch
girishv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 12:40   #30609
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, need your suggestion please...
Please check if Samsung S20 FE 5g falls in your budget after using your Croma points. Camera is better than OnePlus 9R, has IP rating and comes with SD865 processor.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th June 2021 at 21:00. Reason: trimmed quote
y448 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 18:26   #30610
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
You could, but why bother?
Go here:
https://mobiledevicesize.com/compare/
Becaue that is yet another site that does not give screen height and width explicitly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
We can easily derive a formula as

Height, y = d*b/sqrt(a^2+b^2)

Where, d - diagonal, ratio = a:b

And width x = sqrt(d^2-y^2)

For a ratio of 9:16 and dia of 6 inch, I got a width of 2.94'' and height of 5.23 inch
Thanks. I had realised that the answer could be found from something that even I know, the square on the hypotenuse, etc. I wasn't sure how to use the ratio, but figured that 16:9 meant that the sides are square roots of 16/25ths and 9/25ths of the H-squared.

I was not getting sensible answers. I haven't got the rightanswer from your formula yet either, but it will be working at fault.

Bear with me. I may appear to be an educated guy (I am in some things) I was literally thrown out of the school maths class when I was 15.

Oh, also... pixels/pixels-per-inch gives the answer too?

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 16th June 2021 at 18:28.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 19:21   #30611
BHPian

Quote:

I was not getting sensible answers. I haven't got the rightanswer from your formula yet either, but it will be working at fault...
I think you want this:

https://jsfiddle.net/ypL7zd1a/2/

Got it from:
https://math.stackexchange.com/quest...onal-and-ratio

Not too sure about the pixels per inch calculations. Also, I think manufacturers list the diagonal screen size and not the overall diagonal size.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 20:31   #30612
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, need your suggestion please...
Go for pixel 4a, camera is the best in that price range. It's stock Android so no bloatware, and you'll like it's compact design. My sister has one, bought last year, her usage is same as you she's very happy with it.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th June 2021 at 20:59. Reason: trimmed quote
Akshay6988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 20:58   #30613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm looking for a phone around 30K which has no/minimal bloatware; with a good camera quality. I'm not at all a gamer - so, questions on the gaming/GPU stuff are better left unasked.
Have been using a Pixel 4a for the past 6 months. My usage mainly includes Outlook email, Teams chat, Zoom calls, personal email (GMail), WhatsApp, and media consumption (yes you read it right!!). The storage is almost 60% full with media, pics and music files. It still performs flawlessly and there are times i am on a zoom call and juggling between email and teams chat with the call in progress. All this without a stutter. No need to speak about the camera as it is all over the web about how good this single main camera is. Selfie camera is so-so in my books!

I was using the Galaxy A72 prior to this and wife is still using her A72 that we got last year around Aug. The A72 with 2GB more RAM stutters and misses a beat many times with wife's usage of WhatsApp, Insta, YouTube, and of course phone calls. Mine too was stuttering now and then and the main achilles heel of the A72 is the horrible inaccuracy of the in-display fingerprint sensor. Saving grace is the face unlock. No such issues on the Pixel with the rear mounted fingerprint sensor. The only issue here is that it is a little too flush with the back of the phone and is difficult to find without a case on.

Otherwise, I am truly enjoying the smaller form factor compared to the A72, stutter free performance for my usage, beautiful and pixel dense display, great battery life with a consistent 4.5 - 5 hours of screen on time in a single charge. And like you, I dont game either and occasionally my kid installs and plays some light games like carrom or word cross and leaves them on the phone!

If your usage is similar, then i guess you cannot go wrong with the Pixel 4a and not sure if the 5a will even launch anytime soon. If needed you can wait till the 5a is announced globally and see if it launches at a reasonable price anytime soon here! Else I would say Pixel 4a is a no-nonsense, everything you need and nothing you dont kind of phone.
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 22:39   #30614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Have been using a Pixel 4a for the past 6 months. My usage mainly includes Outlook email, Teams chat, Zoom calls, personal email (GMail), WhatsApp, and media consumption (yes you read it right!!). The storage is almost 60% full with media, pics and music files. It still performs flawlessly and there are times i am on a zoom call and juggling between email and teams chat with the call in progress. All this without a stutter. No need to speak about the camera as it is all over the web about how good this single main camera is. Selfie camera is so-so in my books!
How is the RAM management on your phone? The reason I am asking is, my Dad too has a Pixel 4a and right from day 1 it doesn’t hold the apps in the background. What I mean by that is, no matter which app I open it kinda restarts. Even a simple app like WhatsApp; it just restarts, even if it has been closed just 2 secs back. Even the Dialer app open afresh!

is this a similar behaivour on your phone too? I was surprised to read about the smooth app switching on your Pixel.
Old 16th June 2021, 23:28   #30615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
is this a similar behaivour on your phone too? I was surprised to read about the smooth app switching on your Pixel.
RAM management so far has been pretty good. In my case the corporate apps all ask for fingerprint access if left in the background for more than 10 mins at a time. Barring that, i usually have Gmail, WhatsApp, Dialler and Wynk in the background open almost all of the time. They stay in the background and are never closed. WhatsApp does not reload as i frequently keep accessing it. Same for dialler. Wynk does reload as i will get to it after maybe an hour or 2 of it being open. But again none of it feel like it is struggling or stuttering to perform the tasks. I in fact never notice when there has been a reload on certain apps as it is very smooth and quick to load the apps. I may not be looking too closely for reloads too you never know!

Most Viewed