Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2019, 11:42   #29101
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
It is true. Unlocking Bootloader disables OTA updates.
OK, assuming that it would, I have a slightly different question. Unlocking the bootloader involves two steps:
1) Go to developer options and tick the "OEM unlock" option
2) Reboot to fastboot mode, then using adb issue the "fastboot oem unlock" command.

What if I do not do step 2 and reserve it for that day when I'd need to flash a stock ROM? Would I miss OTA updates?
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Unlocking Bootloader is best if you wanna experience different ROMs.

Caution: One incorrect step and you'll have a brick, so beware, read, re-read the instructions and enjoy modding the mobile with Turbos, Superchargers and what not!
Actually I am not looking to install any third party ROMS. I have left behind tinkering days ages ago, when I used to run Android, Linux, Windows 8 etc on my HTC HD2. And Android on my iPhone 1. I gave up on custom ROMs at least 5 years ago and the only time I tried tinkering after that, was on my Nexus 7, which I successfully bricked on the first attempt.
Old 19th August 2019, 16:40   #29102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
OK, assuming that it would, I have a slightly different question. Unlocking the bootloader involves two steps:
1) Go to developer options and tick the "OEM unlock" option
2) Reboot to fastboot mode, then using adb issue the "fastboot oem unlock" command.

What if I do not do step 2 and reserve it for that day when I'd need to flash a stock ROM? Would I miss OTA updates?
Never tried it this way. I think the first step is there purely to prevent any unintentional unlocking of bootloader if someone is doing diagnostics using fastboot.

I am still not sure what you'd achieve doing only first step.
Old 20th August 2019, 10:21   #29103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Never tried it this way. I think the first step is there purely to prevent any unintentional unlocking of bootloader if someone is doing diagnostics using fastboot.

I am still not sure what you'd achieve doing only first step.
"fastboot unlock" will work only if the OEM unlock option is enabled in settings. If the phone refuses to boot (due to an OS corruption) there is no way I can boot up and enable that option, this leaving me with a permanently bricked device. If that option is enabled, I can boot into fastboot mode and issue the unlock command, and proceed with flashing a stock ROM.

According to this article the "OEM unlock"option was added due to a California law called "Smartphone Kill Switch" law, to prevent stolen devices being used after reinstalling the OS.

https://android.gadgethacks.com/news...droid-0167840/
Old 26th August 2019, 17:12   #29104
Senior - BHPian

Nokia 8.1 is at around 19-20k now. Is this a good buy now or is there anything better below 25K? I compared A50, but it doesn't have OIS and has slower processor.

In branded non-Oppo/Vivo/Mi/Redmi etc space, what is a good mobile under 25k?
Old 26th August 2019, 18:07   #29105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
what is a good mobile under 25k?
Honor 20
Honor View 20
Old 26th August 2019, 19:26   #29106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Honor 20
Honor View 20
Considering the restrictions on Huawei and the ongoing trade war between China and US, its better to keep away from Huawei mobiles as the future software support can be limited. Not a big deal, but still I would avoid it.
Old 26th August 2019, 21:21   #29107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
Considering the restrictions on Huawei and the ongoing trade war between China and US, its better to keep away from Huawei mobiles as the future software support can be limited. Not a big deal, but still I would avoid it.
I don't think there are any restrictions on Huawei now? High level monies must have been paid off to the Orange man's companies and all is quiet on the Huawei front now.
Old 26th August 2019, 21:26   #29108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I don't think there are any restrictions on Huawei now? High level monies must have been paid off to the Orange man's companies and all is quiet on the Huawei front now.
No restrictions as of now, but there are better choices than Huawei available at any given price. There isn't anything so special in Huawei that is not offered by other companies.

Like Samsung offers a Brilliant screen and Camera at every price point.
OnePlus, absolutely fluid UI and great performance!
Xiaomi, every phone is value for money!
Apple and Pixel, great software support and camera.

Now what does Huawei and Honor over these phones?

All their good stuff are in the P series phones which are overpriced in India, rest of the line up has specs which are inferior to others in the same price point.
Old 26th August 2019, 22:22   #29109
Senior - BHPian

@ Aditya - That is actually not true.

The budget/middle range category phones from Huawei/Honor are equal if not better than your similarly priced offerings from
Samsung. A honor 8x at 12xxx will give you everything that a Samsung A30 would at 15xxx while being more fluid in performance.
-Xiaomi has ads and thats reason enough not to pick it up in my book.
-The post was for a phone under 25k. Which current one plus phone starts at 25k? The OP7 is at 32xxx.
-No point talking about Apple or Pixel, they have nothing under the 25k price point.

Lets stick to the requirement of the member who posted and then discuss the options available.

Last edited by bigron : 26th August 2019 at 22:28.
Old 28th August 2019, 12:04   #29110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
"fastboot unlock" will work only if the OEM unlock option is enabled in settings.
Got the replacement A2 and I set it up after checking the OEM unlock option. All updates went smoothly, so I didn't have to recover the phone. Anyway am leaving the option checked for the rest of its life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Honor 20
Honor View 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
Honor View 20 seems to be an excellent option at that price. Huawei makes excellent phones and it is sad that it has to go through all these troubles in the hands of the USA. I hope its Harmony OS takes off.

Quote:
Nokia 8.1 is at around 19-20k now. Is this a good buy now or is there anything better below 25K?
If Android One is your thing, then there is no better alternative.
Quote:
@25K, please consider the LG V30. And maybe the G7 as well.
Old 28th August 2019, 15:45   #29111
BHPian

Samsung A50 Initial impressions

Quote:
Nokia 8.1 is at around 19-20k now. Is this a good buy now or is there anything better below 25K? I compared A50, but it doesn't have OIS and has slower processor.

I recently bought Samsung A50 and initial impressions are good.

Quick review below -
Good things
  • Brilliant AMOLED screen,
  • Good camera,
  • Solid Battery life and
  • OneUI looks much cleaner. And feels very snappier. Lots of small but useful tidbits
  • In fact, the In-display Fingerprint Sensor works well as opposed to online reviews suggested.

Downsides
  • Un-necessary apps - some viz, Galaxy Store, FB, Amazon, etc. Thankfully some apps can be completely uninstalled. But, not all. But only can be disabled
  • With tempered glass, In-display Fingerprint Sensor behaves inconsistently
  • For some weird reason, HDR option in Camera is hidden in settings.
Old 28th August 2019, 16:28   #29112
BHPian

Quote:

You can check Moto One Vision. Camera seems to be good with OIS as well. It will get updates as it is Android One phone. Processor is similar to A50 though.

Samsung M40 has a good processor but it is missing a headphone jack, in case that matters to you.

Nokia 8.1 looks good otherwise, but I have heard many reports of problems with charging port on Nokia phones and customer support has been lacking.
Old 28th August 2019, 17:54   #29113
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It seems like you want a non-Chinese android phone around the 25k mark. I would say that the Samsung A70 is the one to go for. It is currently selling for 27k on Amazon and 29k everywhere else. Slightly nudges above your budget but still worth it IMO. An exchange from your side will bring the price lower.

https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Galaxy...07PRBH4H2?th=1

The Nokia 8.1 is inferior to the A70 and costs lesser as well. Around the 20k mark, I would rather suggest the M40 followed by the A50.

The M40 has much superior processor and camera compared to the A50.

https://www.smartprix.com/mobiles/co...%2Cpd1gxfozos9

However, if OIS and EIS are very important to you, Samsung phones in this range aren't for you.

Last edited by AYP : 28th August 2019 at 18:03.
Old 2nd September 2019, 21:57   #29114
Senior - BHPian

I am getting the below mentioned notifications of Chrome everyday when I turn On the Data on my Redmi 1S (I keep Data Off during Sleep Hours).

Is it a malware? How to get rid of this?
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20190829_125054.jpg

Even Some of them are like-
1. Increase the size of your ......
2. Do Se* for 8Hrs.
Etc.

Old 2nd September 2019, 22:03   #29115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
I am getting the below mentioned n----snip---- of your ......
2. Do Se* for 8Hrs.
Etc.

Just notifications from within chrome from sites where you clicked allow instead of block.
Go the top right menu, the three dots, settings, and under notifications, deselect the sites.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks