Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2019, 11:15   #28996
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Any other phones I should be looking at?
I am still new to the Android camp, however, I will say that it is best to buy a phone that gets the latest OS updates as soon as they are released and no other device gets them sooner than Google.

On to a different topic, about the Mi A2, I've not used the phone long enough to comment. I think it is a stellar device at its price point.
Old 17th July 2019, 11:29   #28997
BHPian

Quote:
Any other phones I should be looking at?
The OnePlus 7. Faster in all aspects compared to the Pixel 3a. Good Screen. Excellent Battery life. Its got everything you need at a cheaper price tag too. Between the Nokia 8.1 and OP7, i would pick the OP7. Do check out the OP7 and OP7 Pro before you get a new phone.
Old 17th July 2019, 12:28   #28998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only thing that is preventing me from taking the plunge is the 3.5mm jack. My few weeks with the MI A2 was a suffering because of the lack of the headphone port. Am a headphone junkie and only two in my collection are wireless. I fear that once I get used to wireless, I'd stop taking out my AT MSR7.
Sir, please do not let the absence of a headphone port dissuade you form considering what is otherwise a brilliant phone. I value my wired headphones just as much as the next guy, and I was initially a trifle irritated with its absence having graduated from a OP3 to a OP6T last month. All it took was to get used to the headphone jack adapter which is supplied with the OP6T, or otherwise easily available for a couple of hundred bucks in any mobile store. Like you , I am not a big user of wireless headphones, so this was the easiest workaround for me.

I have been using this route for the last month and have to say that this no longer remains an irritant. Especially considering the suite of virtues and the humongous bang for buck which OP handsets will give you, it s a simple cost- benefit analysis which is won by the OP hands down.

At the risk of sounding repetitive, please give the OP 7/ OP6T a strong consideration. You will not regret it.
Old 17th July 2019, 13:16   #28999
BHPian

I have a OnePlus 3 which is almost 3 years old now. The Oxygen OS on Android is snappy and not once has my phone hung/lagged or shown any sign of slowing down. It came with 64GB space and 6GB RAM in 2016 and is still very relevant today. OnePlus has been consistently pushing updates and patches for the past 3 years and recently I got Android Pie on it. This is something only an Android One device used to boast about. The built is super and I have used covers on and off and still the aluminum back is absolutely scratch free. The physical fingerprint sensor is really quick.

I use my phone for some social networking, google maps and the usual phone calls. A few puzzles and games were installed but have now been solved and removed.
Recently, the battery life has taken a hit and I have to charge it by the night even with light usage. I have no plans to change it in the near future as it is still surpassing my needs.

But when the time comes, I am sure the latest OnePlus device of that time would be on my radar and probably in my pocket too.
Old 17th July 2019, 16:31   #29000
Senior - BHPian

The much hyped Flagship Killer 2.0 from Xiaomi/Redmi was launched today. Highlights here: URL

This is kind of the successor for Poco F1. Given that OnePlus and Asus moved up their pricing levels Xiaomi/Redmi also seized the opportunity and priced it higher than before.

Redmi K20 Pro: Snapdragon 855/Triple Camera/Pop up Selfie Camera
  • 6GB / 128 GB: 27,999
  • 8GB / 256 GB: 30,999

Specification seems better than Poco F1 given that they have added an AMOLED Display and a Glass-back in addition to triple camera at the back and a pop up camera for the selfie. Fingerprint sensor is on screen. The first sale is planned for 22nd July 2019

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 17th July 2019 at 16:33.
Old 17th July 2019, 17:02   #29001
BHPian

The K20 Pro has good hardware but the software is pathetic! MIUI is made for budget devices, hope they launch a polished UI worthy for a flagship. I hate the fact they have ads in the stock file explorer and messages app when many 3rd party apps don't have ads.

The animations feel budget grade and needs refinement, they should improve the quality of software to utilize the hardware of the phone.

Until they do that, I would rate the OnePlus Oxygen OS, Google Stock Android, and Samsung OneUI to be on a different league altogether.
Old 17th July 2019, 17:34   #29002
BHPian

Re: 'Asus Max Pro M1' on 'Havoc ROM'?

I just flashed the Havoc ROM V2.7 along with GApps on my 'Asus Max Pro M1'. The flash was successful. BUT am NOT able to complete the WiFi setup.
I key in the password for the connection BUT the same does NOT complete.

What could be the fix for the same?
Please advise!

Old 17th July 2019, 18:39   #29003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
The K20 Pro has good hardware but the software is pathetic! MIUI is made for budget devices, hope they launch a polished UI worthy for a flagship. I hate the fact they have ads in the stock file explorer and messages app when many 3rd party apps don't have ads.

The animations feel budget grade and needs refinement, they should improve the quality of software to utilize the hardware of the phone.

Until they do that, I would rate the OnePlus Oxygen OS, Google Stock Android, and Samsung OneUI to be on a different league altogether.
I'll second that. Really wish they had launched the phone on Android One platform. MIUI with all those bloatware on such a good device is such a shame. On another note, the significant inconsistency in scores while running consecutive Antuntu benchmarks was also seen in a review. I wonder what the reason really is.
Old 17th July 2019, 19:11   #29004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
OnePlus has been consistently pushing updates and patches for the past 3 years and recently I got Android Pie on it.
Everything that you said, I have the 3t. But Android Pie killed my phone, absolutely cooked. I need to go back to Android N.
Old 17th July 2019, 19:17   #29005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Everything that you said, I have the 3t. But Android Pie killed my phone, absolutely cooked. I need to go back to Android N.
Android Pie is working fine on my OnePlus 3. No issues as of now.
Old 19th July 2019, 12:01   #29006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
The OnePlus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
At the risk of sounding repetitive, please give the OP 7/ OP6T a strong consideration.
Sorry guys. I was at the last leg of placing order and was about to proceed to OTP when my phone rang. 2 minutes later, I was not so sure. Trouble was, never before was I so undecided on what to buy, cos none of the options available (not even the Pixels) were enticing enough. To spend 30K, I have to be sure I yearn for it.

A couple of hours later I decided to buy a temporary filler until a better option arrived in the market and hence placed order for another MI A2. Regretted that decision in 30 mins flat, went back and cancelled.

Finally by the wee hours of the day placed an order for the Nokia 8.1 the spiritual successor for my erstwhile Nokia 7 plus. Android One plus headphone jack. Glass back and the notch will trouble me though. Phone will arrive tomorrow. I hope it is worth the two days I spent on Flipkart and Amazon.

BTW, I borrowed an OP6 from a friend of mine and played around a while. It is fast and fluid - but I didn't quite like the UI mods. My last three phones were (ignoring the fillers) Oneplus One, Nexus 5X and Nokia 7 plus. All had stock android. I think, I like the UI untouched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
The slow performance you're experiencing with the Mi A2 despite having good on paper specs and a clean version of Android, is because of the internal storage.
That sounds like a plausible explanation. I hope they fix that in the A3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I am still new to the Android camp, however, I will say that it is best to buy a phone that gets the latest OS updates as soon as they are released and no other device gets them sooner than Google.
I wish I could get one of the Pixels, but I don't want to spend so much on a phone. I bought the Nexus 5X about 3 years ago for less than 20K. I don't understand why Google don't make such phones anymore. Pixels are too expensive for what they offer. I might have still gone for the Plxel 3A XL if it was available below 30K.
Old 19th July 2019, 13:33   #29007
BHPian

Quote:
Finally by the wee hours of the day placed an order for the Nokia 8.1 the spiritual successor for my erstwhile Nokia 7 plus.
Congrats on the purchase mate. Keep the shiny side up
Old 19th July 2019, 14:55   #29008
BHPian

Quote:

I wish I could get one of the Pixels, but I don't want to spend so much on a phone. I bought the Nexus 5X about 3 years ago for less than 20K. I don't understand why Google don't make such phones anymore. Pixels are too expensive for what they offer. I might have still gone for the Plxel 3A XL if it was available below 30K.
I understand your predicament having owned Nexus 5, Nexus 5x and Pixel 2 now. There is nothing like stock android. I have used the OPT5 in between for about 5 days and it left me frustrated.

Also, my wife owns the 8.1 so can give you an understanding about it.

8.1 will tick most of your boxes except the supreme camera, some lag and the huge notch.

I would recommend you to take a used pixel 2 which came with 2-year warranty. They are available for as low as 16k with 8 months warranty remaining.

Pixel 3a is also a good choice at 35k.

If I were you, I'd take a second-hand pixel 3 under warranty.
Old 20th July 2019, 09:22   #29009
Senior - BHPian

I have been facing an issue with my HTC U11 since this Monday. The hotspot no longer works. It shows a message 'error' and then stops. Once this happens, WiFi doesn't get switched on as well.

Only after a restart, the Wi-Fi will start working again. Hotspot doesn't work no matter what. I have done a reset of network settings as well. Didn't help.

Had anybody faced this issue? Please help. I used this to work when there's no power in the house. Now it's severely limiting my options.

Thank you.
Old 20th July 2019, 09:31   #29010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
I understand your predicament having owned Nexus 5, Nexus 5x and Pixel 2 now. There is nothing like stock android.
+1. Motorola is probably the best alternative to stock Android, especially since I need dual SIM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks