Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2013, 15:26   #13996
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Micromax A110 Update:

from yesterday my phone is not charging. it was total dead. i visited Micromax service center today. when they changed the battery my phone started working but when the service tried charging for 10 minutes, charge was not increasing at all.
he said there is problem called "dummy charging" with motherboard. they need to replace motherboard. it will take 10 days to get this part. let my phone there for repair.
Old 5th March 2013, 15:39   #13997
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Hey DryIce,

Thanks a lot for that link. Its a nice guide on how to unbrick the mobile. But I am stuck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
I had a similar problem with the latest version of ODIN when I was flashing the stock ROM on my Note. Can you try the older version (http://www.android.gs/download-odin-1-85/) and revert back if it works?
Try an older version of odin as prateek suggested. Also, when I used odin, I didn't have KIES installed. You might wanna remove it and give it another shot- but then you will have to install the drivers for your phone manually.

Right now, I would recommend, remove everything you installed so far, including kies and drivers. Turn off the auto driver installation in Windows. Install the drivers again and try with an older version of odin.
Old 6th March 2013, 10:29   #13998
Senior - BHPian

Picked up the Lava Xolo X900 for my wife from flipkart for 14K. Beautiful phone. The finish is so premium that it easily rivals phones from segments higher. It just oozes premium. Nothing about it feels cheap. The phone is manufactured by Intel Semicon. The phone comes shipped with stock ICS. No frills or fancy layers sitting over the operating system. The touch response is excellent and the display quality is very good for a phone at this price point. The internal storage is 16gb and what you get to use is about 11gb. There is no storage expansion which was not a concern for me. The call quality is good. The phone uses about 340mb of ram once booted up, still plenty of room for additional applications to run in the background if required. The phone comes with 1gb of ram. I doubt if you can beat this phone at the price point it sells at.

One quirk noticed is the really short charger cable. I don't understand why they made it so short.

A concern for this phone is the battery as it uses a really small 1460 watt hour battery which is not user replaceable. In a 8 hour time frame with the phone idle for most of the part, the battery was down to 50%. A few more cycles of the battery should reveal how long it can last.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 6th March 2013 at 10:47.
Old 6th March 2013, 10:40   #13999
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning to get a new phone for my wife. Have reviewed S3 Mini and Galaxy Grand. Since size is the main concern, we are attracted towards S3 mini. Any thoughts guys? Should I consider any other phone.

Main priorities

1) Small size (Should be handy and fit easily in hand bags)
2) Social networking
3) Mails
4) Occasional gaming
5) Battery life
Old 6th March 2013, 11:06   #14000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
I had a similar problem with the latest version of ODIN when I was flashing the stock ROM on my Note. Can you try the older version (http://www.android.gs/download-odin-1-85/) and revert back if it works?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Try an older version of odin as prateek suggested. Also, when I used odin, I didn't have KIES installed. You might wanna remove it and give it another shot- but then you will have to install the drivers for your phone manually.

Right now, I would recommend, remove everything you installed so far, including kies and drivers. Turn off the auto driver installation in Windows. Install the drivers again and try with an older version of odin.
Thanks prateekm and DryIce !!
After a lot of self guilt (for messing up the missus phone) and pressure from missus to get her a Grand or something similar as a fine for messing this one up, I decided to pay a visit to the Samsung Service Center very close to my house.
Explained the problem to the rep there and bang comes the disclaimer "We will not be responsible for any damage in the process of fixing the software" !!!

Here's a quick excerpt from the coversation:

Me: My phone is bricked and I need to re-install Gingerbread back onto the phone.
Rep: Ok sir, we'll get it done, but in the process if the phone becomes dead we'll not be responsible.
Me: What do you mean by dead ? The software can be re-installed ? Right ?
Rep: Yes sir, but if motherboard shorts out or the phone doesn't turn on.
Me: Ok, so what is the solution for that then ?
Rep: Replace the phone or the motherboard.
Me: How much does the motherboard cost ?
Rep: Rs. 5000.
Me: Can you please call the engineer who will fix the software ?
Rep: Calling sir. She goes to the service area and calls one of the engineers.
Me: So will you use Odin to re-install GB ?
Engr: Yes sir, but we will use the Samsung Official ROM.
Me: Ok, so is there any risk of the phone becoming dead ?
Engr: No sir. We'll do it in 30 mins.
Rep: Ok sir, that will cost you Rs 170. Will you do it ?
Me: Yes, please prepare the bill/ receipt.

Got the phone back in 1 hr. Gingerbread OS installed. Everything looks fine. But hey, there are traces of features of ICS too !!! The Call Receive / Cancel slider, the Phone Unlock slider - they look like ICS.
Definitely, its Samsung Official ROM, but there seems to be some update to the Gingerbread ROM too.

All in all, everything is working fine now. Rs 170 didn't pinch much in the pocket. But the guilt still remains of messing up a good working phone.
Old 6th March 2013, 13:24   #14001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Planning to get a new phone for my wife. Have reviewed S3 Mini and Galaxy Grand. Since size is the main concern, we are attracted towards S3 mini. Any thoughts guys? Should I consider any other phone.

Main priorities

1) Small size (Should be handy and fit easily in hand bags)
2) Social networking
3) Mails
4) Occasional gaming
5) Battery life
S3 Mini is quite mediocre if you ask me. Theres nothing of S3 about it (thats a shame as the most important internals are provided by us)

If you are not fixated about Android then Lumia 720 is very compelling choice. Snappy OS, a wonderful camera with very bright f1.7 optics from Carl Zeiss (it should beat any other phone out there if you compare photos and if that is important for your wife), amazing social networking integration in the OS. In short perfect if you dont care about widgets and flashing and all.

In Android world, small phones are not really that great. Its surprising really, all manufacturers pack their best in the flagships only and those are hefty phones.
Old 6th March 2013, 13:41   #14002
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
S3 Mini is quite mediocre if you ask me. Theres nothing of S3 about it (thats a shame as the most important internals are provided by us)

In Android world, small phones are not really that great. Its surprising really, all manufacturers pack their best in the flagships only and those are hefty phones.
Thanks for the reply. She prefers Android since she got used to my phone. S3 mini size fits perfectly for her rather than Grand. Moreover, rates are pretty good in Dubai for the 16gb (planning to buy from there). I hope this fits well when it comes to my wife's requirements (as mentioned in my previous message).
Old 6th March 2013, 18:28   #14003
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I am looking to buy a 16GB Micro SD Card for my new Galaxy Grand. When I check online, most of them are selling SD HC Card. So I did a bit of Google and found that it is a High Capacity card. Costs more than regular Micro SD Card, but is not compatible with most card readers !! So I am confused whether it makes sense to buy a Micro SD HC card or a regular Micro SD Card.

Advice please.
Old 6th March 2013, 18:47   #14004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

I am looking to buy a 16GB Micro SD Card for my new Galaxy Grand. When I check online, most of them are selling SD HC Card. So I did a bit of Google and found that it is a High Capacity card. Costs more than regular Micro SD Card, but is not compatible with most card readers !! So I am confused whether it makes sense to buy a Micro SD HC card or a regular Micro SD Card.

Advice please.
Just go for a class10 sd card. Dont bother about the brand. Strontium class10 cards are usually the cheapest.

class10 = 10mbps
Old 6th March 2013, 19:08   #14005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Picked up the Lava Xolo X900 for my wife from flipkart for 14K. Beautiful phone. The finish is so premium that it easily rivals phones from segments higher. It just oozes premium. Nothing about it feels cheap. The phone is manufactured by Intel Semicon. The phone comes shipped with stock ICS. No frills or fancy layers sitting over the operating system. The touch response is excellent and the display quality is very good for a phone at this price point. The internal storage is 16gb and what you get to use is about 11gb. There is no storage expansion which was not a concern for me. The call quality is good. The phone uses about 340mb of ram once booted up, still plenty of room for additional applications to run in the background if required. The phone comes with 1gb of ram. I doubt if you can beat this phone at the price point it sells at.

One quirk noticed is the really short charger cable. I don't understand why they made it so short.

A concern for this phone is the battery as it uses a really small 1460 watt hour battery which is not user replaceable. In a 8 hour time frame with the phone idle for most of the part, the battery was down to 50%. A few more cycles of the battery should reveal how long it can last.

XOLO X900 is excellent buy for that price. It has amazing 1.6GHz Intel Processor which is always ready to take brutal apps. I have seen Note/S2/even Note2 slow down but this one never does. Do Post you feedback after few days of usage.
Old 6th March 2013, 19:38   #14006
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
Just go for a class10 sd card. Dont bother about the brand. Strontium class10 cards are usually the cheapest.

class10 = 10mbps
Thanks mate !! I was looking for Class 10 cards only. Was thinking about brands. How is the reliability of Strontium ? They are offering a 5yrs warranty, but are they good in replacements within warranty if something goes wrong ?
Old 6th March 2013, 19:49   #14007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks mate !! I was looking for Class 10 cards only. Was thinking about brands. How is the reliability of Strontium ? They are offering a 5yrs warranty, but are they good in replacements within warranty if something goes wrong ?
I have been using 32GB class10 strontium sd card in my S3 since last june. Zero issues till date.
Old 6th March 2013, 19:58   #14008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
I have been using 32GB class10 strontium sd card in my S3 since last june. Zero issues till date.
That's awesome !!! Thanks for inspiring confidence !! Gonna order the 16 GB right away !!!
Old 6th March 2013, 21:24   #14009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have had a strontium 8gig die on me within two weeks. After sales service is horrible - I never got the replacement card! I'd suggest that you look elsewhere.
Old 6th March 2013, 21:36   #14010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I'd suggest you stay away from Strontium. SanDisk is inly slightly more expensive. But at least peace of mind is guaranteed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks