Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2013, 23:33   #14056
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Finally got the S3 from Croma for 31k ! New to android so slowly getting used to it. Can someone recommend the must have apps ? Any free anti-virus, anti-theft apps out there?
Old 12th March 2013, 00:58   #14057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Finally got the S3 from Croma for 31k !
Congratulations on the new device!

Although that's quite costly.
The phone's price (for the Garnet red version with 16GB card + the Samsung BHM1100 bluetooth headset) is Rs 27400 on Flipkart and the White and Pebble Blue versions are priced at 29,500!

Also a general question - With the S4 launch planned for the 14th of March I'm expecting a price drop for the S3 in the coming weeks and hence postponing my purchase... is this a good idea?
What kind of price can I expect to pick one up for by the end of March?
Old 12th March 2013, 01:11   #14058
Senior - BHPian

^^ I picked up a white S3 for my wife, about a week back, for 27100, no freebies. It was a local dealer in Rohini Delhi...
Old 12th March 2013, 02:15   #14059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can someone recommend the must have apps ? Any free anti-virus, anti-theft apps out there?
Use Lockout security for anti-virus and anti-theft. Should take care of everything. AVG or Avast also has a mobile version which is free. I would not install this resource hungry apps though. Don't need it if you are careful with which apps you get.

Recommended apps:

FB, Instagram, Skype, Dropbox, dolphin browser, aDownloader if you are bittorrent fan, swiftkey (i like in built swype), tasker, bbc, cnn, flipboard, pinterest, imdb, soundhound, tumblr, whatsapp,desi radio.

Games are a lot out there so that will depend on what you like. I have asphalt 7 which is great for racing.
Old 12th March 2013, 08:37   #14060
BHPian

Quote:
Finally got the S3 from Croma for 31k ! New to android so slowly getting used to it. Can someone recommend the must have apps ? Any free anti-virus, anti-theft apps out there?
Congratulations, I just got one 9 days ago. I transitioned from a blackberry to android. It took me a couple of days to figure it out. Do get a nice case if you haven't got one already. As for apps I'd say facebook,twitter, hotmail, gmail, Instagram, temple run, subway surfer,flow, real racer, pvr, book my show,too, true caller,whatsapp , samsung photoeditor and teambhp! I am yet to use an anti virus app, will get one soon.
Sign up for Dropbox, you get 2 gb of storage, there are a couple of things after you install the software on your computer that you need to do, you get an additional 48gb of storage for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.shekhar View Post
Congratulations on the new device!

Although that's quite costly.
The phone's price (for the Garnet red version with 16GB card + the Samsung BHM1100 bluetooth headset) is Rs 27400 on Flipkart and the White and Pebble Blue versions are priced at 29,500!

Also a general question - With the S4 launch planned for the 14th of March I'm expecting a price drop for the S3 in the coming weeks and hence postponing my purchase... is this a good idea?
Yes there is an offer on the red one, I'm yet to see anyone with a red s3 as yet. White is the most common colour followed by blue I guess. Btw, on flipkart it's just the bluetooth headset free. 16 gb is on board storage.
I really thought very hard before getting the s3. It was between the s3 and the grand at the end. A future price cut on the s3 was the only thing going against the s3 for me.
The s4, considering its going to be the next new thing, and the hype around it, I would say it'll launch at a ~40k tag. The s4 is going to be announced on 14th March. Actual deliveries will be from Q2, April or may.
The s3 got a price cut in the first week of feb. At the current price point, considering the hardware and specs I think it's a great buy! If the s3's price falls further, that would cannibalize the sales of the Galaxy Grand ?
Plus, the prices of phones which cost more than 2000 are set to rise. I suggest you really pick up a phone soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
^^ I picked up a white S3 for my wife, about a week back, for 27100, no freebies. It was a local dealer in Rohini Delhi...
That's a great price. The local dealers have a seperate cash price and a credit card price don't they ? This would be the cash price wouldn't it?

Last edited by promit : 12th March 2013 at 08:40.
Old 12th March 2013, 08:57   #14061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
That's a great price. The local dealers have a seperate cash price and a credit card price don't they ? This would be the cash price wouldn't it?
Thanks. Yes, I paid cash, but this is with bill. I personally advise to stay away from Croma. They are a rip-off.
Old 12th March 2013, 08:58   #14062
BANNED

Just learnt the a Samsung S-IV is due for launch in mid March. The latest gimmick - eyeball tracking for auto scrolling.
Old 12th March 2013, 09:03   #14063
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Just learnt the a Samsung S-IV is due for launch in mid March. The latest gimmick - eyeball tracking for auto scrolling.
Old news. It's not a useful feature at all since the eyeball tracking will require front camera to be always on and drain out the battery faster. In case of smart stay the front camera turns on every 10 secs to check whether user is looking at the screen. even this works very erratically. Sometimes the screen refuses to go off even when phone is put on table and other times it does not recognize user looking at it. It's pretty useless in low light situations.
Old 12th March 2013, 09:20   #14064
BANNED

@Vid6639; Agree about the battery. I have been very happy with htc and my Incredible2 (CDMA+GSM) is now approaching its second birthday. Unfortunately, htc is still to release Android 4.x for it (some glitches). The CM9 & 10 involve first going back to Froyo, lock the boot-loader (I unlocked using AlphaRevXBeta since the htc unlock was still in the future), do the htc unlock and then again up the tree. A pain in the neck. My son has an S3 CDMA (dual core and not quad on CDMA) and is very happy with it.

I feel it is about time I think about an upgrade. As it stands any high end phone has to be sourced from independents (our DKaile is one). They unlock then and get the MEIDs registered with RCom. Tata does not allow 'foreign' MEIDs. Of course htc One is an option, but given the experience of ICS/JB!!
Old 12th March 2013, 10:06   #14065
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on the new device! Although that's quite costly.
It was 29,500 before the budget. Me not very comfortable buying online.

Quote:
If i remember correctly S3 had 2 price drops in last 3 months. I had been waiting since November-December to buy this phone. I remember it was about 38k when i had started eyeing it. Expected price of S4 would be in the 44k range.
Old 12th March 2013, 10:12   #14066
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are considering Lava, Xolo etc I advise you to get the Micromax Canvas HD instead.
It's a great device at an equally great price (~14k).
The older Micromax canvas 2 was a big hit and recently has been upgraded to Jellybean too.

If you really want to stick to phones from the bigger brands, I advise you look at the Samsung Galaxy S Duos, Sony also has some nice android devices in the price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
XOLO has launched a new phone with Quadcore processor for 12.5 K
http://www.flipkart.com/xolo-q800/p/itmdgs2d6srwtw6c
Thankyou shekhar, well Xolo i would say wont buy this brand as of now as a cousin already owns one and one issue with this brand is they dont have any service centre and either u register online or call their CC, no response to pickup and service or anything that is happening.
Micromax i have the same thought as well though havent experienced it yet with this brand, but then atleast say samsung or sony or nokia atleast you get the services repairs done at their ASS which are at almost every city of the country.
Will checkout MMX HD canvas and also Sammy's range I am looking into.
Old 12th March 2013, 12:12   #14067
Senior - BHPian

For whoever is looking for a new smartphone, I suggest the Samsung S3 (The S3 winning the smartphone of the year and all - details here: http://www.captees.com/5761-samsung-...mobile-awards/) It is for 28k on Ebay for the next 7 days on their W T F sale. However, I suggest wait a while and let the S4 come out. Starting April 2013, S3 prices are bound to go down by atleast a couple thousand bucks officially, and a lot more if you choose to buy it w/o the bill + warranty.
Old 12th March 2013, 13:47   #14068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Thanks. Yes, I paid cash, but this is with bill. I personally advise to stay away from Croma. They are a rip-off.
I bought mine for 28k from the gadget shop in dlf galleria on the 3rd of march on credit card with bill and warranty. Cash price would have been less. Croma was giving it for 29.5k and they refused to give anything along with it, like screen guard and stuff. Really put me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Its a gimmick alright! Itl just screw with the battery back up. Smart-stay on the s3 is also quite useless. I've kept all the sensors and gesture controls off at the moment.
Old 12th March 2013, 14:15   #14069
BANNED

Quote:
If i remember correctly S3 had 2 price drops in last 3 months. I had been waiting since November-December to buy this phone. I remember it was about 38k when i had started eyeing it. Expected price of S4 would be in the 44k range.
Expect S3 to drop further. In my case it will have to be a cracked grey and MEID registered with Rcom (CDMA compulsions). I wonder what will happen to MTS subscribers when Systema exits UP. afaik MTS was registering foreign MEIDs, so if someone migratess to Tata then ....
Old 12th March 2013, 14:53   #14070
Senior - BHPian

On JB now on the Micromax A110. Used the "un-official official" upgrade for the Cynus T2. Phone is much more smoother now, battery life seems better (can confirm after a couple of days usage).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks