Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2019, 11:23   #29056
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I too was wondering about 5G. How soon is it expected? Is it expected to be mainstream in the next 1 year?

And is it going to be cost effective very soon? 4G launch rates were not high because operators desperately wanted to get off 3G.
IMO 5G may not hit India in a big way at for 1 or 2 years. Mainly because all operators have invested very heavily in 4G infrastructure and they would want to get some return before they have to make investments in 5G.
Unless some operator wants to disrupt the market (like Jio did with 4G) I don't think any of the operators are in a state where they would jump to 5G bandwagon.
Old 2nd August 2019, 18:13   #29057
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
Does Poco F1 still makes sense in current market? I know it's still is a compelling buy due to its 845 processor though. But it's pretty ordinary design, big notch and LCD screen is a downer. Don't you think?
He is looking at phones in 2 segments, I suggested one which has been proven and is around for some time, I am sure he must have seen it, so its for him to decide based on phone's merits & demerits.

It has few positives and negatives, so it really depends on what Manson wants from that phone. I would have skipped the A50 for F1.

Also, if one doesn't want to spend big ones, OP6T may make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I too was wondering about 5G.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
IMO 5G may not hit India in a big way at for 1 or 2 years.
With Jio around, you can never be too sure, or who knows AirTel may get desperate or Vodafone/Idea merger may want to have the first mover advantage.

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd August 2019 at 18:14.
Old 2nd August 2019, 19:10   #29058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post

Head v/s Head decision:
Get a mid ranger Redmi Note 7 Pro / Motorola One Power / Samsung A50 or go the whole hog and get the OnePlus 7?
Redmi note 7 Pro - Will tick most of the boxes. However, the ads are annoying. Please check about that before considering it. Otherwise great price.

Motorola One Power- After the crappy experience my father had with a Motorola phone I will never suggest anyone to buy it. Plus they seem to be tad below among others.

Samsung A50 - I am using the 6Gb variant since last 4 months. Completely satisfied. No lags, brilliant amoled screen, good battery optimization. I got it for 23k when it was launched but price has come down since then.

One plus 7 - it's almost twice the price of a Note 7 Pro. The good question- if the hardware, camera etc are so much better to warranty a double spend.

Also, I wont suggest Poco F1 now. It was a great phone but now there are much better options. Plus I don't like the integration of notch in it.

On a side note I will also suggest to check out Vivo Z1 Pro. It's getting great reviews and looks like an all rounder.

Last edited by harry10 : 2nd August 2019 at 19:13.
Old 2nd August 2019, 19:18   #29059
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Redmi note 7 Pro - Will tick most of the boxes. However, the ads are annoying.
What ads are on Mi/Xiaomi devices, I have used 3S Prime and my wife has the A2, I don't see any ads.

Can you please provide any link or any other feedback?
Old 3rd August 2019, 18:38   #29060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Redmi note 7 Pro - Will tick most of the boxes. However, the ads are annoying. Please check about that before considering it. Otherwise great price.

I am using the Redmi Note 7 Pro from the past two weeks. Very good phone with a great build quality. Also, with respect to ads, once you boot the phone for the first time, there is an option of unchecking all the ads and you can do it individually later as well. I am getting no ads whatsoever.

For the price, it's a very respectable phone.
Old 6th August 2019, 18:21   #29061
Senior - BHPian

Anyone using Vivo Z1 Pro and Realme 3i?

Please give a quick review whether to buy them or not.
Flipkart sale is starting today and as I have ICICi card thinking of availing the 10% discount and buying them both. If there is a better option in there price range do let me know.
Thanks.

Last edited by harry10 : 6th August 2019 at 18:25.
Old 8th August 2019, 10:23   #29062
Distinguished - BHPian

So the inevitable happened - I took my Oneplus 6 on a waterfall trek last weekend and water eventually got into the mobile. The screen started getting purple dots at the bottom and slowly over the return trip home, the purple dots started covering the entire screen completely (by the time I reached home in the evening). Now it's completely black and nothing is visible. Also the touch functionality seems to have gone bonkers so I can't even connect via USB to figure out (by habit) the right keys to enable USB sharing.

Heading to the OnePlus service center - the costs could range from ~8k (for screen replacement) to anything (depending on what the "tell" me). Anyone experienced this recently/in the past?

Also any pointers for 2ndary service centers that are more economical on the purse in Chennai/Bangalore would be much appreciated!

P.s. This is a 8 month old phone still in warranty. Unfortunately water based damage - I doubt they'll accept anything. The screen is perfect from looks - no scratches, nothing visible. But they should be able to figure out the water damage once they open it I believe.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 8th August 2019 at 10:25.
Old 8th August 2019, 10:43   #29063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
So the inevitable happened - I took my Oneplus 6 on a waterfall trek last weekend and water eventually got into the mobile. The screen started getting purple dots at the bottom and slowly over the return trip home, the purple dots started covering the entire screen completely (by the time I reached home in the evening). Now it's completely black and nothing is visible. Also the touch functionality seems to have gone bonkers so I can't even connect via USB to figure out (by habit) the right keys to enable USB sharing.

Heading to the OnePlus service center - the costs could range from ~8k (for screen replacement) to anything (depending on what the "tell" me). Anyone experienced this recently/in the past?

Also any pointers for 2ndary service centers that are more economical on the purse in Chennai/Bangalore would be much appreciated!

P.s. This is a 8 month old phone still in warranty. Unfortunately water based damage - I doubt they'll accept anything. The screen is perfect from looks - no scratches, nothing visible. But they should be able to figure out the water damage once they open it I believe.
Unlike Apple I find OnePlus to be reasonably priced when it comes to spares. Please get the work done from the authorized service center. It is as cheap as it can.

I have suffered multiple times (with iPhones and MacBooks) when it came to gadgets going for pocket friendly service centers. Hence.
Old 8th August 2019, 11:21   #29064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
I am using the Redmi Note 7 Pro from the past two weeks.
My brothers Redmi Note 7 pro randomly stops detecting Sim card and goes out of network until you reboot it. His sim card is not damaged or anything like that. It was working perfectly normal in his older phone. Even the Factory reset didn't help.

He is fed up of it, so much that he is returning it. Flipkart has a 10 days return policy.
Old 8th August 2019, 13:23   #29065
Distinguished - BHPian

OnePlus 7 Pro (51.5K) vs Note 9 (60K) vs Note 10 (63K) after prevailing offers for the mid-variants.

Which one?! Heavy business use and large screen required.
Old 8th August 2019, 13:46   #29066
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
OnePlus 7 Pro (51.5K) vs Note 9 (60K) vs Note 10 (63K) after prevailing offers for the mid-variants.

Which one?! Heavy business use and large screen required.
One plus any day. Built to last longer and a fuss free phone. Speaking from my personal experience of owning the 5T for almost 2 years now.
Old 8th August 2019, 15:43   #29067
Senior - BHPian

Ninjatalli : Have you tried keeping it in rice for 3 days to dry it out ? This may not work since you didn't switch it off immediately and turned it on later. See if you can find another repair centre. I recently got my cracked glass only replaced on my 1+3 for a decent price with excellent workmanship while the official OnePlus service centre only offered a full screen replacement for 7500++ and didn't even have parts in stock.
Old 8th August 2019, 15:53   #29068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have had my OP phone serviced twice from this service centre in Jayanagar 9th block. It is in the lane opposite Bangalore Central JP Nagar . The contact number is 96200 33355. Rates for parts replacement(including screen replacement) are generally quite a bit lower than the official One Plus service centre. Haven't had any issues with their work the couple of times that I repaired my phone there. You could try this out.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 8th August 2019 at 15:57.
Old 8th August 2019, 16:03   #29069
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Unlike Apple I find OnePlus to be reasonably priced when it comes to spares. Please get the work done from the authorized service center. It is as cheap as it can.
Yup, made a visit there only. But not so cheap as it can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Ninjatalli : Have you tried keeping it in rice for 3 days to dry it out ? This may not work since you didn't switch it off immediately and turned it on later. See if you can find another repair centre. I recently got my cracked glass only replaced on my 1+3 for a decent price with excellent workmanship while the official OnePlus service centre only offered a full screen replacement for 7500++ and didn't even have parts in stock.
Unfortunately, I did all the stupid things that one shouldn't do - basically I had a Lonavala - Mumbai bus ride post the water incident and with nothing to do, I practically ensured the phone was non-repairable (atleast financially).

The verdict came out - the screen was gone for sure; the engineer tested with a new screen and (almost) everything was working perfect; but when we inserted the sim, the network was not getting detected. Also Wifi network was not getting connected either; which meant something in the motherboard too wasn't working fine.

The 1Plus service guys, although very professional, were not ready to do further diagnosis and told me that the option on the table was to replace the screen and the motherboard; cost of which would almost get me a new phone. So I walked out with only a 250 INR diagnosis service charge.

Will be looking for options - but the writing is clear on the wall; next phone has to be a water-resistant phone, one with a warranty that proclaims it. With my hobbies ensuring I'll be repeating this again, I need it.

Just to give an idea the phone went through this (and more) for several hours And before the "I-told-you-so" folks jump on me, the phone has survived many such scenarios in the past and would have survived this one too if I had kept it switched off during the bus ride and put it in a rice bag the moment I landed home.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20190804_114539.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20190804_131457.jpg

What's the cheapest phone with an IP67 rating? Brand-agnostic, here.
Old 8th August 2019, 16:19   #29070
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

What's the cheapest phone with an IP67 rating? Brand-agnostic, here.
I was in the ocean for about 20 minutes without realising that I had my wife's iPhone in my pocket. Phone works perfectly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks