Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2019, 19:44   #28936
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnaveen21 View Post
How is the photo quality, does it has portrait mode, can you please share some pics taken my OnePlus 7.
Here you go mate. Excuse the poor photography skills

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20190624_163515_bokeh.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20190626_185223.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20190626_192344.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20190626_190145.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
What I read in the internet is that OP7 camera is actually a step down from OP6T or may be similar.
Things like photo quality are very subjective and depends on expectations.
Coming from a Google Pixel and Galaxy S10, I can say it is nowhere near. It might be okay for the price though.
The camera hardware on the OP7 is pretty good and combined with a suitable GCam port it delivers excellent pictures compared to the native camera app. So I really feel that with the upcoming updates, the camera is bound to get even better. And honestly, I wouldn't dare to compare it with a Pixel or S10, just because they are proper flagships and the price difference too is significant.

I'm really glad the OP does not advertise themselves as 'Flagship Killer' anymore, because they simply aren't. But for the price you pay, it's still extremely VFM and the fact that they do age really very well, made me zero it down in a jiffy.
Old 26th June 2019, 21:33   #28937
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
Here you go mate. Excuse the poor photography skills
really great photography skills! Especially for phone photography.
Old 26th June 2019, 22:09   #28938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. I have a Huawei Mate 10 Pro, bought when I was in the US. The phone is still very fast, captures brilliant pics in all lighting conditions, good sound.. in fact nothing bad to tell about it. It gets security updates before the 5th of every month.

But, I read on the Huawei site that it is not slated to be among the 14 devices that will get Android Q. When I first purchased it, it was in line to receive 2 software updates (till Q). Unlocking the bootloader isnt easy on a Huawei and Custom Roms are very few since the Chipset is not SD.

Now I'm looking for a phone which gets software updates very fast, easy to root and has lot of custom roms to update after 2 years. And has a brilliant camera like the Huawei. Any suggestions?
Absolutely no idea. I was thinking of the Oppo Reno 10X Zoom (need to shorten that name) but I have no clue when the Orange man will stop these phones too. Might buy an Apple phone.

No way.
Old 27th June 2019, 08:56   #28939
Senior - BHPian

Likely to make the switch back to Android from Apple. The pricing of the new phones from the latter is going way over the top.

One Plus 6T (Am aware there is a 7 now) or Mi 9? The Mi 9 benefits from a more up to date chip but I am a little skeptical of MIUI. Is it really that krapp of an overlay on Android? Do Xiaomi devices last?
Old 27th June 2019, 09:03   #28940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Likely to make the switch back to Android from Apple. The pricing of the new phones from the latter is going way over the top.

One Plus 6T (Am aware there is a 7 now) or Mi 9? The Mi 9 benefits from a more up to date chip but I am a little skeptical of MIUI. Is it really that krapp of an overlay on Android? Do Xiaomi devices last?
Just go for the Oneplus 7. Has the latest Snapdragon, the best available today. Comes at a very reasonable price (assuming you are ok with a notch since you are considering oneplus 7)
Old 27th June 2019, 09:23   #28941
BHPian

Better to visit Android One website while looking for new Android smartphone. The Android One phones come with least bloatwares and spyware, thus lesser risk of data stealing by the smartphone companies without user's consent.

Another advantage is assurance of receiving latest Android OS upgrades along with regular security updates.

Android One OS is least resource hungry compared to the customised OS installed by the smartphone companies, so spending money for top end specs is also not necessary.

https://www.android.com/intl/en_in/one/
Old 27th June 2019, 10:05   #28942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Just go for the Oneplus 7.
Unfortunately; not available in my part of the world. I think it is strategic to not offer it and force people to buy the not so exceptional (over the 6T) Pro model. Besides; if I am going to spend 7 Pro money, I'll stick to the iphone XR model which is priced exactly the same, keeps me in the iOS space which I love and the device dimensions are perfect for my small hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
The Android One phones come with least bloatwares and spyware, thus lesser risk of data stealing by the smartphone companies without user's consent.
Yes; am ware. I did buy a Mi A2 for my mum and it is superb value for money.

The trouble with Android One phone models is that there is no top tier phone. There is nothing on offer with a 8xx series Qualcomm chip. It is all 6xx series.
Old 27th June 2019, 10:07   #28943
BHPian

Anyone here using an OP3/3t facing issues after the update to Android Pie? The phone has become painful to use. Is slow, lags, Screen is erratic.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 27th June 2019 at 10:08.
Old 27th June 2019, 10:09   #28944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post

I'm really glad the OP does not advertise themselves as 'Flagship Killer' anymore, because they simply aren't. But for the price you pay, it's still extremely VFM and the fact that they do age really very well, made me zero it down in a jiffy.
Thats the really great part about OP phones and the super slick Oxygen OS. They age really well and even three years of heavy usage later, when a lot of phones are huffing and puffing through everyday tasks, the OP handsets literally fly through them. Enjoyed this experience with the OP3 and now the OP6T. Absolutely fantastic performance, and very importantly for me, a clean and clutter free OS.
Old 27th June 2019, 10:29   #28945
BHPian

Quote:
The trouble with Android One phone models is that there is no top tier phone. There is nothing on offer with a 8xx series Qualcomm chip. It is all 6xx series.
Nokia 8 Sirocco and Nokia 9 Pure View (5 cameras) have 8xx chipsets.

Newest enterent in the list is Motorola One Vision which comes with 10nm Sasmung Exynos 9609 chipset, rather you can call it a Samsung device made by Motorola. Every component including chipset, camera sensor, screen, memory etc are from Samsung. Another version with 4 cameras is about to launch.

Then there is Nokia 8.1 which comes with new and efficient 10nm SD 710 chipset.

Actually lot of variety available with Android One.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 27th June 2019 at 10:34.
Old 27th June 2019, 10:31   #28946
BHPian

Quote:

I understand you are making a switch to Android after a long time. I did this transition after I had issues with Iphone 6 Plus bending and ghost touching and in my experience I truly found peace with the Google Pixel 2XL. I had a second phone which was Xiaomi and was not performing as i expected, so I went the Samsung way at first but I just couldn't get the bloatware out of my way.
I would suggest you try out the Pixel series. They have pure android, ie no unnecessary apps whatsoever, camera is good, you get all the updates so you can use it for longer without the itch to upgrade.
Old 27th June 2019, 11:39   #28947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Nokia 8 Sirocco and Nokia 9 Pure View (5 cameras) have 8xx chipsets.
The 8 is dated for today. The 9 seems impressive but the 6T still makes a stronger case in comparison.

Don't want a Exynos based phone. They have a bit to go in terms of catching up with Qualcomm. Otherwise; I love Motorola. Was a past Atrix 2 user and it was superb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken View Post
I did this transition after I had issues with Iphone 6 Plus bending and ghost touching and in my experience I truly found peace with the Google Pixel 2XL.
To be frank, I have absolutely no complaints with my 4 year old iphone 6. It is still pretty slick to use and the battery hold a days charge with ease under moderate use. The mistake I made was buying a 16gb model which in today's times is absolutely useless. In fact, I would not be considering this upgrade if I had bought a larger capacity model. iOS is now eating up nearly 11gb of its internal storage leaving almost nothing for Apps and Media. My media storage is now less than a gb after I moved everything to icloud and Google photos. I can't make any more room on the phone. As much as I want to stay with iOS, as the eco system is solid, secure and stable, I can't digest the cost of a new iphone. It is ridiculous. Apple have lost it.

I'll look at the Pixel. Thanks.
Old 27th June 2019, 12:32   #28948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Anyone here using an OP3/3t facing issues after the update to Android Pie? The phone has become painful to use. Is slow, lags, Screen is erratic.
Try clearing the cache once. Fixes the issue for most users. If that doesn't work, you may have to do a factory reset. Generally speaking it is advised to do a factory reset after a major update though it is not mandatory. I have read that clearing the cache helped in many cases so you can try that first.

Last edited by JonSnow : 27th June 2019 at 12:33.
Old 27th June 2019, 16:21   #28949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
I checked the feedback on the OnePlus forums and it looked pretty bad overall so I haven't updated my OP3 to Pie. Unless there is an upgrade to fix 9.0.3 I think I'll stick to Oreo until it's time to buy a new phone.

Also : I found a guy who changed the broken glass only of my phone. He did a good job for only 2500 Vs the 7500+tax that OnePlus wanted to change the full screen which anyways they didn't have in stock and would also result in a data wipe
Old 28th June 2019, 09:52   #28950
BHPian

Quote:
As much as I want to stay with iOS, as the eco system is solid, secure and stable, I can't digest the cost of a new iphone. It is ridiculous. Apple have lost it.
I'll look at the Pixel. Thanks.
Since you mentioned the cost factor, just thought of sharing this info. My wife recently upgraded from a 4 year old iPhone 6 to an iPhone XR, and she's absolutely loving it. She was paid 7.5K as exchange value for the 6 and after the HDFC offer and Apple discount for XR, the final price came out to be ~46K for the 64 GB model, which I believe is pretty much VFM. I used the device for a couple of hours and its pretty slick! The animations are super smooth and Face ID is great. The battery is easily lasting for 2+ days. Meanwhile, the 6 was not in great shape either. It had few dents and the side button for mute/unmute wasn't working. Amazon was offering a paltry 2.5k as exchange value for the 6.

Most Viewed