Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2019, 23:33   #28861
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Couple of reasons. (1) The final deal on the 6T was even more mouthwatering. (2) I did not like the Mirror Black finish that the 7 comes in, and prefer the Matte finish which is available only on the 6T.

I am getting a 8GB /128GB version of the 6T for quite a bit less than the OP7, all discounts and exchange prices considered. I don't think there would be any appreciable difference in performance between the SD845 chip on the 6T and the SD 855 chip on the 7 (especially given the whopping 8GB RAM on the 6T). The only deal on the 7 is Rs. 1500 off on the price of Rs. 33,000 if paying through SBI debit card, which is nothing that great. Unless, there is some other offer which I am not aware of !

All things considered, the 6T seemed a better deal to me.
I agree, 6T costs 5K less than OP7 with additional 2 GB of RAM. It has a slower processor but the difference can't be noticed in day-to-day usage. Also, I am not sure how the OP7 new camera sensor performs and whether it will be better or worse than OP6.

For headphones, I am using mostly bluetooth and sometimes the adapter (only at home) which is a pain to carry.

I have realized one thing - big phones are not for me. I have always used smaller phones like original Moto X and Google Pixel. I was managing with the Galaxy S10 which is probably the largest size which I can manage. I have clearly made a mistake in choosing OP6T which is larger and heavier than what I can comfortably handle. I chose it because there were no smaller size options with similar specs and performance in the 30K price range. I thought I will get adjusted but more than a week of using the OP6T , I still feel it's too large and heavy. Hope we get some more options in the mid-high range within reasonable size.
Old 12th June 2019, 09:17   #28862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post

I have realized one thing - big phones are not for me. Hope we get some more options in the mid-high range within reasonable size.
I am of the same school of thought, and I wish manufacturers brought out better sized phones. For some reason, the 6 inch plus immersive screens have become pretty much the norm, and this is making phones larger in size. Granted, they do provide a superior viewing experience for video content and games, but still! The comfortable size for me is 5.5 inches, but then those seem to be a rarity nowadays, especially within reasonable budgets and having top line specs. Till then, have to live with the 6+ inches I guess.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 12th June 2019 at 09:31.
Old 12th June 2019, 09:32   #28863
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
The comfortable size for me is 5.5 inches, but then those seem to be a rarity nowadays, especially within reasonable budgets and having top line specs. Till then, have to live with the 6+ inches I guess.
Pixel 3a. Checks ALL the boxes.
Old 12th June 2019, 09:36   #28864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Pixel 3a. Checks ALL the boxes.
The 3A was considered but is way beyond my budget, which is around Rs.25 K, ideally a few thousands lesser. The Pixel 3A is in the high 30s, if I am not wrong, and hence not for me. I am one of those who loathe spending too much on a phone, especially given the short shelf life of most of them. Plus, specs wise (including RAM and internal storage space) its not in the league of the OP (though I understand that being stock Android, it would be optimised to provide good performance).

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 12th June 2019 at 09:40.
Old 12th June 2019, 10:03   #28865
BHPian

From size and value perspective, I find Samsung S10e to be quite good. If you see the below table, the increase in phone's screen size is not proportional to increase in the body size, due to decreased bezels and better screen-to-body ratio.
S10e seems to hold the middle ground quite well, being easy to operate with one hand while still bringing higher than usual screen-to-body ratio and being light weight.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-phone-comparo.jpg

Source of data: GSM Arena

Last edited by drive2eternity : 12th June 2019 at 10:09.
Old 12th June 2019, 11:52   #28866
BHPian

Quote:
I agree, 6T costs 5K less than OP7 with additional 2 GB of RAM.
My colleague is looking for this deal but we are seeing the 6T 8Gb at 32k and an additional 1.5k off on some credit card deals. Was there a better price when you purchased? Maybe he can wait for it?
Old 12th June 2019, 12:02   #28867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
My colleague is looking for this deal but we are seeing the 6T 8Gb at 32k and an additional 1.5k off on some credit card deals. Was there a better price when you purchased? Maybe he can wait for it?
I bought OP6T at 32K before OP7 was released. After OP7 release, the price dropped to 28K which feels bad but I needed a phone urgently. Ask your friend to be checking Amazon frequently as there are multiple sellers and deals change frequently. Waiting too much is also a risk as it might go out of stock permanently.

Regarding small size phone options, its really limited. The Pixel 3a cost almost 40K and is nowhere near the OP6 in terms of hardware and design - mediocre chipset available in 15-20K phones, plastic build, poor design with huge bezels, only 4GB ram and 64 GB storage, no Gorilla glass etc etc. The only points in its favor are the camera and software updates from Google for 3 years and Google is charging a huge premium for those. Otherwise, it is difficult to justify the cost above 20K for the Pixel 3a.

I agree about the Galaxy S10e. The size is perfect for one-hand usage (its actually smaller than Pixel 3) and offers same performance as S10. EVen the wide angle camera is the same. I was considering buying it but didn't want to spend 50K.
Old 12th June 2019, 12:04   #28868
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure whether it will reduce any further and this offer is till the stocks last which we don't know how much. Price has never been better compared to the current ones. I believe your friend is looking at the 256GB variant for 32K. Most cases 128GB should be sufficient unless someone plays a lot with 4K video recording
Old 12th June 2019, 12:30   #28869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonite View Post
I believe your friend is looking at the 256GB variant for 32K.
Thanks Astonite, I found the 128Gb one with 8Gb RAM for 28k. That's a good deal and additional discounts on certain cards as well.
Quote:
I bought OP6T at 32K before OP7 was released. After OP7 release, the price dropped to 28K which feels bad but I needed a phone urgently.
i almost picked it up at 32k for my wife and then held back. I got her 3T fixed and she is good for now.
Old 12th June 2019, 12:39   #28870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Astonite, I found the 128Gb one with 8Gb RAM for 28k.
Got this same deal, as well as another 5k off on my 3 year old OP3. Got a sweet final price of 23K, and I was sold. This deal is on till June 13 on Amazon, subject to stocks lasting. Whoever is looking to pick it up should do so asap, before the stocks run out.

My phone is arriving today, and I am looking forward to the blazing fast and slick OP 6T experience (not to mention the super fast quick charging), which I had first experienced with the OP3 and which has since made me a staunch supporter and advocate of OP phones.

Contrary to the initial misgivings that I had when first jumping onto the OP bandwagon (since the brand was still relatively unknown at that time), the phone has been rock solid and gave me fantastic service with fairly hard use all these days. Hence, it was a no brainer for me to stick to the brand and look at options within it.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 12th June 2019 at 12:42.
Old 12th June 2019, 13:18   #28871
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Regarding small size phone options, its really limited. The Pixel 3a cost almost 40K and is nowhere near the OP6 in terms of hardware and design - mediocre chipset available in 15-20K phones, plastic build, poor design with huge bezels, only 4GB ram and 64 GB storage, no Gorilla glass etc etc. The only points in its favor are the camera and software updates from Google for 3 years and Google is charging a huge premium for those. Otherwise, it is difficult to justify the cost above 20K for the Pixel 3a.
Actually, this is the mistake people make after reading all the paper specs.

The phone feels brilliant in the hand. The plastic is not cheap at all! It feels great, a nice matte finish, and the phone is incredibly light to boot. The 64 storage might be tough for some, but i have never crossed half of it in my life, so its good for me, and with google photos storage for free, its a non issue really. The 4 gb ram works well along with the chipset, have never seen the phone slow or lag. And all of the reviewers who have used the phone for over 2 weeks have said the same. The dragontrail glass feels just as good as gorilla, and i dont really care as long as the oled does its job. I mean most of these things are semantics. I am a regular phone user. Few calls, internet, reading, videos, camera etc. Not a hardcore gamer, so dont really care.

However the indian pricing is a rip off because of import taxes, the true price is 25k thereabouts.

The overall experience still feels great, i think for folks who keep phones for 3 years minimum the returns are well guaranteed from this pixel device.
Old 12th June 2019, 14:14   #28872
BHPian

Quote:
Actually, this is the mistake people make after reading all the paper specs.....
The exact same mistake I did. Previous posts might tell that I have been contemplating for a while now to buy a new phone.
Now about the mistake - I was hell bent on not even seeing the iPhone XR and Galaxy S10E because of the display downgrade (was using a Galaxy S8 before it broke). Yesterday visited the Apple Store and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of XR's display. Never did I feel that it is not a 1080P screen - during that time I also realized that my S8 display config was in 1080P though it can go higher. The only thing I could visibly see viz viz the XS is the black. Not as good as a AMOLED panel.

A colleague got a S10E and same thing about the display, it is good enough.

Coming back to my what phone topic

Contenders:
  1. Mi A2 (current phone, got as a replacement after S8 shattered)
  2. OnePlus 7 (not a fan of 7 Pro's pop-up camera)
  3. iPhone XR
  4. Pixel 3A (not the XL)

The confusion:
Mi A2 (4GB, 64GB)- I am happy using this. A regular user - Chrome, Prime Video, YouTube, WhatsApp, Insta, Outlook app. Cons of this phone are the camera, battery life for my usage.

Wife is an artist so she keeps taking pictures of her painting and posts in her insta account. She has an S8 as well. A better camera than S8's will not hurt but not a need as S8 camera is good enough.

OnePlus 7 (64GB) - performance, and that says everything. I am told the camera is better and so is the battery life.

XR (productRED 64GB) - retry iPhone. Wanted the X but the battery life of XR is much better and no big difference. Camera is good but not sure is it better than the S8

Pixel 3A (64GB) - Not very sure now but tempting considering the beta builds available only for Pixel and the well known camera champion

Though not in the above list, would consider the S10 series because of the brilliant Email App. And being a Samsung user for a while (S series and Note series). Also considered Note 9 but not sure if it is worth the money in 2019.

So here I am, stuck in between Android and iOS, at different budget levels with a huge dilemma to continue using a 11K phone.
Old 12th June 2019, 15:10   #28873
BHPian

Quote:
The overall experience still feels great, i think for folks who keep phones for 3 years minimum the returns are well guaranteed from this pixel device.
I have started looking out for my next phone now that my Nokia 7 plus has crossed a year in service. Pixel 3A (XL) seems to be the perfect phone for my liking - AMOLED, light weight, headphone jack, no notch, no glass back, stock OS, timely updates etc, except one thing - the RAM.

Three years ago when I bought the Nexus 5X, which had only 2 GB of RAM, I thought for a stock Android phone, that would be good enough. In the beginning everything was fast and fluid. But with each passing update things started slowing down. Eventually I had to disable a bulk of Google Apps and restrict background processes to keep it running smoothly. Don't get me wrong, it never got really bad, but the experience was not satisfying. Anyway it died in 1.5 years so I didn't get to see what it would become in three years. But am sure I would have been cursing.

In the Pixel, 4GB should be good enough at this time, but I am not so sure three years from now.
Old 12th June 2019, 15:28   #28874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, this is the mistake people make after reading all the paper specs.

The phone feels brilliant in the hand. The plastic is not cheap at all! It feels great, a nice matte finish, and the phone is incredibly light to boot. The 64 storage might be tough for some, but i have never crossed half of it in my life, so its good for me, and with google photos storage for free, its a non issue really. The 4 gb ram works well along with the chipset, have never seen the phone slow or lag. And all of the reviewers who have used the phone for over 2 weeks have said the same. The dragontrail glass feels just as good as gorilla, and i dont really care as long as the oled does its job. I mean most of these things are semantics. I am a regular phone user. Few calls, internet, reading, videos, camera etc. Not a hardcore gamer, so dont really care.

However the indian pricing is a rip off because of import taxes, the true price is 25k thereabouts.

Buddy, there is no need to justify your purchase. Let's respect each others opinions and move on. To me, Pixel 3a is a rip-off at 40K and it makes absolutely no sense to buy it over a OP7/6T which costs much less. it might make sense for you but not to me. You don't need more than 64GB, does not mean it applies for everybody. 4 GB RAM feels future proof to you not to me (particular when you can get 8GB at lower prices). Dragontrail glass feels same to you as Gorilla glass - to me all Glass feels the same but that does not make them same. And having owned a Pixel earlier, I hope that your device does not have a problem - the google service in India is worse than terrible.

Having said all that, you also seem to say that it is not worth more than 25k!
That's what I was saying, peace!

Last edited by adimicra : 12th June 2019 at 15:32.
Old 12th June 2019, 15:34   #28875
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Buddy,

Having said all that, you also seem to say that it is not worth more than 25k!
That's what I was saying, peace!
Wow. Sorry if i ruffled you the wrong way. Was not my intention. I am hardly a technophile, and much less a phone guy. Probably like most of the regular youtube consuming world out there. Infact i took all the advice here before getting one.

And yeah i totally agree with your points. Its not worth 40k at all. Would be pretty stupid to justify the indian pricing.

Just that for the target population, 25k pixel 3a makes a lot of sense. Indian pricing is warped, probably not in googles control, else am sure would have been priced on par with the us.

And after all, we are just discussing a phone. In a few years time, we will be on something else

Have fun with your new buy!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks