Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2015, 08:02   #21361
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar View Post
Lucky you! Will have to enquire at stores here. What was the cost if I you don't mind divulging?
Not at all, all the prices are as per Sony India website - Rs.2990/-, one can get Rs.90/- off at best. It wont look the price but the functionality is worth it.
Old 30th May 2015, 10:09   #21362
BHPian

I got my Karbonn Android One almost a month ago and I'm pretty happy with it. In terms of features and speed it is almost identical to the 1st gen MotoG, except for lower PPI and lack of gorrilla glass (as compared to the Moto). The camera is equally bad in all lighting conditions.

I would highly recommend this as the first smartphone, or to someone who is tired of worrying about a high value device in the pocket (me). If you don't care about the camera, go for it!
Old 30th May 2015, 15:11   #21363
Distinguished - BHPian

Mi 4i Smart Flipcase bought from Mi

Ordered Wednesday evening, delivered Saturday morning. Very satisfied with that.

Very satisfied with the case too. It has a very slight texture, like a cloth pattern although I can't see that without a magnifying glass. A rubberised plastic feel. If you hold it loosely between the fingers it slips slowly through them. It gives a secure feeling when holding. That feeling is enhanced by the edge of the fully-folded-back cover against the fingers of the left hand. The screen-facing side of the flip has a soft feel, and also has a modest, embossed Mi trademark. There is no attempt at pretend-leather moulded stitches.

The right side is fully covered, with semi cut-outs for the buttons. They do not make the buttons feel any different to find or push.

At Rs.500, with a three-day delivery, manufacturer-made, perfect fit, at Rs.500, this is an absolute no-brainer must-buy for Mi 4i owners, unless you are really wanting an entirely different kind of case like a pouch, or a hard case, or maybe hung up on genuine leather (have to admit that that is where I started by Flipkart/Amazon searches).

OK, so I love it. Here are the quibbles...
  • I wanted the phone to be black, and only white was available. I could only get the case in black, and now I think, "Wouldn't it be nice if it matched the white phone!" File that one under some people are never satisfied
  • There is no facility to use the case as a stand. Same is true of Mrs G's Samsung-branded flip case, but I did see flip cases online that included that. Not a big deal, but it is a facility some might want.
  • The phone grip is fully solid on right side, but only corners on left side. This means that the cover can fold flush between the corners. making the whole thing a mm or two slimmer, but I think it would have been nice if top and bottom were closed, with port cut-outs --- especially for those of us with a white phone in a black case!
Here's the really, really great thing: The smart flip works

No more pressing the button and swiping the lock screen (I don't use a password) every time I pick the phone. I'm like a kid with a new toy on this one: I'm going to run the battery down today, just opening and closing it! But I'm not going to run it down by wasteful display use, as I always set the time out to several minutes as I hate it going off when I'm looking at it.

PS... Mi Feebies

Mi is offering freebies for 4i, Redmi 2 and Note 4G. I registered for a screen protector. I saw forum posts from people saying thay had been waiting three weeks and got nothing, but it it costs nothing to try

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 30th May 2015 at 15:17.
Old 31st May 2015, 00:57   #21364
Senior - BHPian

Could someone please inform if it's possible to manage app permissions on Cynogen on One Plus One and Yu phones, like in MIUI?
Old 31st May 2015, 09:22   #21365
Senior - BHPian

Someone please let me know how to transfer contacts from Lumia to a Moto X (2014). The sim is out of Lumia but connected via wifi. The back/ menu button isn't working on the Lumia, so if I can transfer all contacts at once with a few touches, that will be great.
Old 31st May 2015, 09:49   #21366
BHPian

Does anyone know how to get Mirrorlink to work on HTC One m7?
Would be sweet if i can hook my phone up to my head unit.
Old 31st May 2015, 09:55   #21367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Someone please let me know how to transfer contacts from Lumia to a Moto X (2014). The sim is out of Lumia but connected via wifi. The back/ menu button isn't working on the Lumia, so if I can transfer all contacts at once with a few touches, that will be great.
I'm guessing it would be much easier to sync contacts with Outlook. And then export a . csv database into motoX/Google account.
Old 31st May 2015, 15:55   #21368
Distinguished - BHPian

I think you can sync Lumia contacts to gmail, and the connection from gmail to Android is pretty much native: once you sign in to your gmail, contacts should be synced unless/until you dig deep into the settings to stop it.

My wife wanted to move her SMS messages from Lumia to Android. It seems that is a big no-no-can't-do.
Old 31st May 2015, 17:38   #21369
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
- The idea these days is NOT to keep your contacts on the sim. But in the cloud
- Since we are referring to Android, Google contacts is the easiest to hold.
- So any new device you buy, you need to just added your gmail account and the contacts get updated to new device.

So on to your questions:

- Get the sim on your android
- Copy contacts as csv or something to your PC
- Update them to Google via PC. Make sure you dont duplicate. Check Gmail contacts for entries.
- Once Google contacts are updated in the cloud, its easy to sync to any device.

Do note
- Ideally it should not take more than 15 minutes to setup your new device and get started.
- Against each person, you should maintain one and only point of contact. The person's name, phone (Cell, office, home), face book, twitter, linkedin, Google+ profiles, organization, address etc
- That way the address always remains consolidated and also remains in the cloud. Hence it can also be accessed anywhere.
Old 1st June 2015, 01:32   #21370
Senior - BHPian

^^^That may be the idea these days, but some may not be comfy about pushing every bit of their lives to the cloud. However, it remains a moot point whether not pushing the address book in particular keeps it private, because heaps of apps want to get their nose into it. Anyway, the next simplest way to do it is to export/import to CSV and keep a back up of it locally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Could someone please inform if it's possible to manage app permissions on Cynogen on One Plus One and Yu phones, like in MIUI?
Nobody knows??

After using MIUI for months and Cyanogen for few days (though I forgot to check if it supports permission management), I'v found that I can no longer live with the much extolled vanilla Android. It simply does not have so many very important features. I know you can get some of thru modding/hacking, but you get all that and more right out of the box with Cyanogen and MIUI. Cyanogen seems to have the added advantage being about as snappy as Vanilla Android, so that does not work in Vanilla Android's favour either.

So thats a very important point to consider for people looking for their next phone. Though of course it won't matter for very basic users who wouldn't want to use the additional features.
Old 1st June 2015, 11:30   #21371
BHPian

Quote:
Try using Privacy Guard under Privacy in Settings
Old 1st June 2015, 12:33   #21372
BHPian

Quote:
So thats a very important point to consider for people looking for their next phone. Though of course it won't matter for very basic users who wouldn't want to use the additional features.
There are two ways to manage permissions in Cynogen. One via "Privacy Guard" which blocks personal (phone, contact, sms, media I think) but not all permissions (such as locations, Autostart, media, bluetooth etc). One via App Opps/Privascy Gurad widget, which will let you manage permission at granular level.

May be you are looking this one. I haven't this level control in MIUI.
Old 1st June 2015, 14:02   #21373
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
After 8 weeks of using the Xperia Z3 Compact I'm finally giving a very honest review of the same, I feel there are many accurate reviews of phones like Samsung, Apple and even countless Chinese brands yet none about Sony. Here goes.
No doubt it's a great phone, but having said that, I think it has got nothing more to offer compared to the Z1 Compact except for a slightly faster processor and a few camera tricks.

So if at all the Z1C is still available now, it would be a huge bargain.
Old 1st June 2015, 14:15   #21374
BHPian

Friends, any idea about the launch date of 1+2 mobile. The specification sounds awesome. Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 14:53   #21375
Distinguished - BHPian

Bargain Seekers! If you are willing to take the risk on unboxed/refurbished.

After Overcart, now there is Valuecart! Seems to be all Xiami stuff, at least for now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks