Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2015, 22:24   #21421
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
No idea about the Lenovo, but I would highly recommend the Redmi2. A member in our family owns one (we also own a Redmi1s and a Redmi Note) and we're very happy with all Mi devices.
Research indicated both are lag-free and Lenovo has more RAM and bigger brand so it kinda clinched it for her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
I see Grand 2 duos charging issue with adapter it takes around 20+ hrs for full charge and USB it does faster comparatively. It is running on 4.4.2 version, heard this has lot of issue with charging etc. any idea when new version of android will be available to overcome this.
Try another charger. Say S4 charger, or a tab one? or 1+ charger? My original S3 charger gives 100-700 mA while a newer one gives 500-1000 mA. Weird but that's how it works on Samsung!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
The Lenovo A6000+ beats the Redmi 2 atleast on paper. It comes with 2 GB RAM and 16 GB internal memory, whereas the Redmi 2 has 1 GB RAM and 8 GB internal memory.

The Lenovo is clearly better in my opinion.
Quote:
I continue to support the Redmi2 because of Xiaomi. They have a small set of devices which I believe allows for greater quality control (v/s a new phone launch every other day by manufacturers like Lenovo). They also have tightly integrated software, and although you don't see OS upgrades often, what you get are bug fixes being rolled out pretty often.

I'd much rather use a stable, supported phone, than use one that is manufactured in masses and let to rot afterwards.
Very good point - but alas. And in this case, I couldn't really argue against the 2GB RAM.
Old 9th June 2015, 23:40   #21422
BHPian

I had been using Nexus 4 for almost past 2 years and been happy with it. The processor is quite fast and the phone does the job. Google has been kind enough to roll out updates often (this is something I like to have, frequent updates). But oflate, the digitizer gave up. The bottom 20% of the screen became unusable, not responding to touch. This has been reported in the internet about nexus 4. And a few ghost touches thrown in at times. I was looking for a replacement but this was quite difficult as I was looking for stock android experience without spending big. Had a desire 500 lying around as a spare but then it was not really suitable. The phone barely had any memory left to take up apps (just 4 gig). I use quite a lot off apps, both personal and official.
This sunday got a life saver. Saw a post of a dead nexus 4. Called him up, the chap was confident that the display + digitizer is alright and just the phones motherboard was blown. Took the risk, bought the dead phone and took it to a friend at SP road where he did the swap for me. And yes, the risk paid off. Now the phone is back in business. total damage - 1700 + 200 for service.

I suspect the hardware quality from LG when it comes to phones. Nexus 4 has issues with the touch - digitizer. Nexus 5 has issues with signal reception (my cousin and a friend has one, need to call them about twice or thrice for the call to get connected; I usually get out of coverage message) and my brother's N5 display is flickering.

Last edited by glenmz : 9th June 2015 at 23:43.
Old 9th June 2015, 23:42   #21423
BHPian

I have just updated my HTC One M7 to the latest 5.0.2 sub-update which means software number 7.21.707.121 which was previously 7.21.107.105 or something. The first noticable change is a snappier device. But other than that anyone who has morr info on the improvemnts? The update showed up about two days ago. Anyone who dunnit earlier?
Old 10th June 2015, 01:27   #21424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I continue to support the Redmi2 because of Xiaomi. They have a small set of devices which I believe allows for greater quality control (v/s a new phone launch every other day by manufacturers like Lenovo). They also have tightly integrated software, and although you don't see OS upgrades often, what you get are bug fixes being rolled out pretty often.

I'd much rather use a stable, supported phone, than use one that is manufactured in masses and let to rot afterwards.

P.S: I'm also not a great fan of Lenovo (past experience)
-----------------------------------
EDIT: I've been on the sideline (KitKat) waiting for bugs to be ironed out in Lollipop. It looks like 5.1.1 was released for Android One devices a few days ago. Anyone have feedback to share?
Well, I'm a fan of Xiaomi too, now, because I've got one: m4i

True about lack of bloatware, the only thing is that they do try to push their own cloud services. The Mi account is listed, in the setup, before the google account! It's fine: they don't compel us to use it.

Actually, though, I'm not overfond of MIUI. It's not anything that can't be lived with, and I will do, probably for several months or maybe a year. In the first place, I will probably use Apex as a launcher, and that is so easily undoable, that I might do that soon. In the second place, and assuming eventually available compatible rom, I do prefer Cyanagenmod.

It seems (a big plus for both fiddlers and control freaks) that Xiaomi usually issue "Developer" roms for their phones, which means rooted by default. That will be my first change, when it becomes available.
Old 10th June 2015, 13:52   #21425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Research indicated both are lag-free and Lenovo has more RAM and bigger brand so it kinda clinched it for her!

Very good point - but alas. And in this case, I couldn't really argue against the 2GB RAM.
Okay. Do post a review when you lay your hands on the Lenovo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Actually, though, I'm not overfond of MIUI. It's not anything that can't be lived with, and I will do, probably for several months or maybe a year. In the first place, I will probably use Apex as a launcher, and that is so easily undoable, that I might do that soon. In the second place, and assuming eventually available compatible rom, I do prefer Cyanagenmod.
I use Nova Launcher Prime on all my devices and it's the closest to bliss. Try it. I don't like MIUI's launcher, or rather the lack of an app drawer.
Old 10th June 2015, 13:54   #21426
Senior - BHPian

People using the Redmi Note 4G - have you managed to root the device? Any custom ROMs? Also, friend is not a fan of the MIUI interface - would Nova Launcher be a better idea?
Old 10th June 2015, 14:30   #21427
BHPian

Has anybody tried Google Photos? Unlimited storage for photos sounds tempting, but i am still not sure if i can surrender my photos to Google and let them run Algorithms on it!
Old 10th June 2015, 15:30   #21428
BHPian

Question to Mi 4 and 4i owners:

How are your screens holding up against scratches? Do you use screen guards? Am asking this since Mi 4(i) does not come with Gorilla glass but a different one called Goncor. This is what I read in a review.

Quote:
Xiaomi MI4 screen comes with Concor Corning glass that is different from corning gorilla glass. The Concor glass is shatter-proof but not fully scratch resistant. Check the video review. I got minor scratches on the screen. The screen is scratch resistant to some extent, but a little extra pressure could give away. The scratches are mild, not easily visible and would go unnoticed; you might want to check it under a good light source. It would be wise to use a screen guard if you are a careless user.
src: https://www.gogi.in/xiaomi-mi4-review.html

Please help me with your experiences, as I am planning to get a Mi 4, and I like to have no screen guards on my phones.
Old 10th June 2015, 17:21   #21429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
People using the Redmi Note 4G - have you managed to root the device? Any custom ROMs? Also, friend is not a fan of the MIUI interface - would Nova Launcher be a better idea?
I did root my Note 4G as soon as it was delivered, and it is pretty straightforward. Tried to port many unsupported apps from my samsung and bricked the phone the day I received it Resurrected it and then upgraded to MIUI 6 a few days later. Haven't rooted it since . I use Hola launcher. Pretty light and nifty.
Old 10th June 2015, 17:28   #21430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
I did root my Note 4G as soon as it was delivered, and it is pretty straightforward. Tried to port many unsupported apps from my samsung and bricked the phone the day I received it Resurrected it and then upgraded to MIUI 6 a few days later. Haven't rooted it since . I use Hola launcher. Pretty light and nifty.
Thanks for the update! Haven't tried Hola Launcher myself. But perhaps time to try.
Old 10th June 2015, 17:57   #21431
BHPian

Moto X 2014 users - Lollipop 5.1 started rolling out silently in India.

I got it yesterday and upgraded to it. Haven't noticed any major bug so far and looks a bit improvement over 5.0, still too early to comment on performance and bugs so reserve my opinion on it.

Motorola added another gesture to turn on flash which is another great addition in the already handy list of cool features of this device.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20150609194030.png
Old 10th June 2015, 21:50   #21432
Senior - BHPian

Say, what is this rooting of a smartphone that I come across often here? Is it similar to formatting a computer?
Old 10th June 2015, 22:47   #21433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
There's a developer ROM available from MIUI here. It is an older version, though.

The MIUI interface can be changed quite a lot though theming, but there are some fundamental things that I miss from previously using Apex.
Old 10th June 2015, 23:11   #21434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Say, what is this rooting of a smartphone that I come across often here? Is it similar to formatting a computer?
Everything You Need to Know About Rooting Your Android Phone - http://lifehacker.com/5789397/the-al...-android-phone
Old 10th June 2015, 23:44   #21435
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I use Nova Launcher Prime on all my devices and it's the closest to bliss. Try it. I don't like MIUI's launcher, or rather the lack of an app drawer.
Thanks, I'll take a look at that. A couple of the basic things that I miss about Apex are being able to determine the grid and icon size of both home pages and the bottom app bar (i forget its name) and being able to lock the desktop so that a careless swipe does not rearrange everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
If you are familiar with Unix or Linux, think, Logging in as "root." No restrictions; no apps that the manufacturer has decided you can't remove; no content hidden; no system files that can't be accessed --- and nothing to stop you making a horrible mess if you want to!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks