Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2015, 10:25   #21436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Everything You Need to Know About Rooting Your Android Phone - http://lifehacker.com/5789397/the-al...-android-phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If you are familiar with Unix or Linux, think, Logging in as "root." No restrictions; no apps that the manufacturer has decided you can't remove; no content hidden; no system files that can't be accessed --- and nothing to stop you making a horrible mess if you want to!
Thanks a lot for that! Next, what is "bricking?" I have seen quite a few people using the term.
Old 11th June 2015, 10:32   #21437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Thanks a lot for that! Next, what is "bricking?" I have seen quite a few people using the term.
When you try to root your phone or install a different ROM , there are chances that your phone hangs and becomes completely useless. You will not be able to do do anything with it other than using it as a paper weight. If such a thing happens to your phone , it is said to be "bricked".
Old 11th June 2015, 12:29   #21438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Okay. Do post a review when you lay your hands on the Lenovo

I use Nova Launcher Prime on all my devices and it's the closest to bliss. Try it. I don't like MIUI's launcher, or rather the lack of an app drawer.
I actually hate the app drawer concept and find the folders option to be a lot easier to organise my apps and stuff. Appdrawer tends to be messy and sometimes, for lesser used apps a lot of searching around.
Old 11th June 2015, 14:30   #21439
BHPian

Well, I arrange my most used app icons on my desktop in folders. Rest of the rarely used apps stay in the app drawer, away from my sight. I like it that way.
Old 11th June 2015, 15:20   #21440
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
It used to be known as turning your electronic device into an expensive paperweight: ie, rendering it useless. Bricking is just a nice, single-word, metaphor, and perhaps more suited to the rectangular shape of a phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
I actually hate the app drawer concept and find the folders option to be a lot easier to organise my apps and stuff. Appdrawer tends to be messy and sometimes, for lesser used apps a lot of searching around.
I like my home screen[s] sparse, so also like to use folders. However, seldom-used (or never-used-but-can't-be-uninstalled) apps and widgets I prefer to keep in "app drawer." Can't find them? Sorting the app drawer in alphabetical order should make that impossible, unless we can't even remember the app's name (yep: been there!). They will still be there, too, unlike when we accidentally swipe an app off MIUI's screen, which uninstalls it. Actually, the MIUI home screens are just one big app drawer --- without the convenience of being able to sort or segregate stuff.

I just put Apex on my m4i to experiment with. They seem to now call folders app drawers, unless I have really misunderstood something.

I'll load Nova today, as well, and see which methodology/terminology I get on best with. The m4i, with its limited internal storage and no sd card is not a phone to keep unwanted apps or data on.
Old 11th June 2015, 18:36   #21441
BHPian

I received my Lenovo A6000+ yesterday afternoon. The phone is really good for its price. I was only worried about the battery performance and heating. And I am not let down by this device. Charged the phone to 100% by yesterday 5.30pm. No heating during charging. Have been using it since then, with 3G full time on, four mail accounts syncing, casual browsing, FB, TBHP app etc. Battery %age at the time of typing this stands at 29%. Performance wise for my usage it's more than enough. Overall its a good buy.
Old 11th June 2015, 20:07   #21442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

I just put Apex on my m4i to experiment with. They seem to now call folders app drawers, unless I have really misunderstood something.
Yes, I did. Not the same thing. Can't quite get to grips with it yet thought!

I don't think Nova has much to offer over Apex, for me, except one big USP: The icon spacing grid can be divided into half points, so you can really decide where to put an icon. That is something that really does appeal to screen-decor/layout control freaks like me!
Old 11th June 2015, 20:12   #21443
BHPian

Did anyone have changed the Back Cover of Moto X (2013)? Tried the DIY videos but it looks like its better to change it from authorized centers.
Old 11th June 2015, 20:36   #21444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
Did anyone have changed the Back Cover of Moto X (2013)? Tried the DIY videos but it looks like its better to change it from authorized centers.
AFAIK the NFC chip is glued on the back cover in the 1st gen which makes it bit trickier to remove the cover. 2nd gen also has fixed back covered but thankfully NFC chip is not glued on it so its bit easier to remove it compared to 1st gen.
Old 12th June 2015, 13:08   #21445
BHPian

Anyone using Samsung Galaxy A3 with Android 4.4.4? Is there a way to add widgets to my lock screen? I don't see it being possible. Anyone aware of any hack?
Old 12th June 2015, 13:08   #21446
Distinguished - BHPian

m4i: MIUI 6.5.6, Android 5.0.2: Clock-not-updating problem

First, I found that my third-party alarm app was not alarming in the morning. Then I found that third-party clock apps were not updating. This is really annoying, as I use my phone as a watch.

Today, I found what seems to be an answer, at least for MUI, where it is in Security->Permissions->Autostart. They need to have permission to autostart.
Old 12th June 2015, 23:11   #21447
BHPian

This option on "Invert colours" just appeared in my quick options. Refer screenshot. I have a moto g, 1st version, running 5.0.2. Or am I only noticing it now?

Don't think I did anything to make it appear there. Any idea how I can make it go away? Irritated by the presence of something that seemingly has no functional value
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1434130581800.jpg  

Last edited by DaiusPitar : 12th June 2015 at 23:12.
Old 12th June 2015, 23:45   #21448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiusPitar View Post
Don't think I did anything to make it appear there. Any idea how I can make it go away? Irritated by the presence of something that seemingly has no functional value
Tap and long hold any icon you don't want in the quick settings panel, it will ask to get disappeared.
Old 13th June 2015, 00:29   #21449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiusPitar View Post
This option on "Invert colours" just appeared in my quick options. Refer screenshot. I have a moto g, 1st version, running 5.0.2. Or am I only noticing it now?
I also got the option on "Invert Colours" in my moto g, 2nd gen in the quick options menu today. May be it was an auto update.

How ever I have kept it as it is. With this option selected, reading Team BHP at night has become very soothing to the eyes.
Old 13th June 2015, 06:48   #21450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Tap and long hold any icon you don't want in the quick settings panel, it will ask to get disappeared.
Nopes, it just... inverts the colour scheme. I do not get the option to remove it.

Curiously, is this a standard lollipop option?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks